Wonderbolt Winter Training Camp

Solaria

Z4wvfNC.png

91L69B8.png

Slate grey skies. Clouds that threatened to burst at any second. Air so thin that even a stray breeze was welcome in the fight to stay aloft. Spitfire inhaled deeply. It was winter alright, her favorite time of the year.

Back when she had been a filly, her father would always take her to see the Wonderbolts perform their winter show around this time. It was a special memory they shared year after year, and something the fiery pony held close to her heart. Back then, never had she dreamed that she'd be standing where she was now, upon the snowy training field where legends were born. Of course, life had a way of being surprising like that.

The Wonderbolts captain was wearing her thick bomber jacket, the collar tugged tight against her neck to keep away the chill. Today was the day. The sign-ups had closed a week ago, and in thirty minutes or so she'd be seeing the first of them. Perhaps sooner, if there were overachievers in the group. For today, after all, was the first day of Wonderbolts Winter Training Camp.

Sure, there were countless pegasi who would sign up just to see their favorite airborne heroes up close and personal, but those usually quit the first or second day. Truly, it was a camp to work hard and get fit like the flying team of Equestrian fame. Most winged ponies knew that chilly weather brought more difficulties than usually came with flight, but here they'd learn just how hard it could get. They'd sweat in this snow. They'd fight harder than they imagined. And a select few would be invited back in the spring for further training. That was the incentive anyway.

Spitfire exhaled slowly, her breath a small cloud all its own in the stark weather. Hopefully one, maybe two of them would have the right stuff. It was always a fierce pleasure to see that kind of hustle in action, the kind of display that got her own blood burning and her wings itching to blaze through the freezing gales.

"Let's do it," she said with a confident smirk, awaiting the arrival of the greenwings.

"Today's the say," Sky Flare said as he flew ever closer to his goal. The fiery manned Pegasus had heard about a chance for him and others to train for the coveted role of becoming a member of the Wonderbolts, a chance that Sky jumped on as quick as he could. It was his life dream to show his flying skills in front of many, and he had actually once been part of a group like that. Sadly it ended before he had the chance, but now this was like a second chance, and Sky wasn't going to pass this up.

As he approached the practice field, he spotted a mare dressed in a jacket looking around the area. Upon reaching closer he could see that it was none other than Spitfire, captain of the Wonderbolts. Sky was about to giggle like a fan meeting the pony but quickly restrained himself as he approached.

"Hello there. Sky Flare here reporting for training. I have to say this is a great opportunity with this training. So before we get in deep with the training I have to say thanks."

Spitfire finished admiring the glowing white upon the field just as a voice sounded from behind her. The first of the new blood, no doubt. She turned and grinned at the recruit.

"So, you're the only one with the guts to show up so far, eh?" she teased, giving the pegasus a benevolent bump on the shoulder with her hoof. "Not bad, greenwing."

She looked him up and down. He looked solid enough, but that didn't mean horse apples in the air where everything changed. She'd have to see how he was while airborne to get a real feel. Until then, there was no need to grind him into the dirt underneath the snow. That hard-as-nails stuff could come later. She'd found during the last academy session that constant drill sergeant mode didn't quite motivate her students as she expected, so this time she'd try a happy medium. One part buddy-buddy, two splashes of hardflank, and a dash of team spirit. She'd see how that went.

"Well I guess for now we don't have much to do. Field is ready, wind is down, we're set. How many different stretches do you go through before getting into the sky?" she asked.

Cloudsdale. It was a place that any and all Pegasus were supposed to dream of. At some point in their life, every Pegasus made a journey here. It was just a part of who they were. At least, that's what Oracle's parents had told her when they'd sent her on her long journey. Personally, her little library in the small town of Appleoosa was all the land that she felt she needed to know, but apparently her parents thought it would be a good idea for her to get out and see other parts of the world. Especially Cloudsdale, they'd always made a big deal about that. Too big a deal, Oracle had always believed. Plus, she couldn't justify traveling halfway across Equestria just for sight-seeing. It was expensive, and it was pointless. As far as Oracle had been concerned that was where the conversation ended. She had, however, underestimated her parents' determination for her to see more of the world.

Glancing up from the book that she was always hiding behind, even while flying, Oracle studied the two pegasus in front of her. With one hoof she adjusted her glasses to get a better look, while the other one held tightly to the book. The leader of the Wonderbolts, admired by Pegasus far and wide. Over the years, Oracle had collected together a lot of books about the Pegasus, but seeing her in person was even more impressive. At the same time, she had her doubts when it came to this training camp. It would interfere with her ability to read. Always loyal to her word, however, even if it was somebody else who had actually given it, there was no turning back. She landed silently beside the other trainee pegasus.

"Heh, guess I am," Sky Flare said looking around. Surely there would be more ponies joining this academy training, but for now the stallion was filled with pride that he was first. He wondered how Spitfire would be as a trainer as the white Pegasus knew little about her other than the awesome stunts she and the other Wonderbolts did. There was a little worry that the mare was going to be a drill instructor type of leader, one who was all about work and zero fun. Thankfully for now it seemed that Spitfire was easy going and would be good to work with.

"Well, I do a couple of stretches in the morning with my wings. Wouldn't want to have them get sprained while flying. You know, I have to say how interesting this is that I'm here considering that if it wasn't for a Wonderbolt when I was a colt, I may have not got my cutie mark. Things come full circle I guess."

Just then Sky Flare saw another Pegasus land near by. From the looks of the brown mare, she appeared to not be the most athletic looking pony and a little bit of bookish. Well, Sky did like books as well, but not as nearly as he assumed this new pony showing up would be. Still the white Pegasus knew to give ponies a chance to let them prove themselves.

"Hi there. I'm Sky Flare. So, what's your name?"

Lightning Dust hadn't been as much willing to lie her way onto the premise as she had been months ago. Her pride and dignity were easily worth the price of any venture if it meant becoming a Wonderbolt again. She had easily sorted her integrity from her desire to win, and was sure she'd never change because of it. But things had happened. Extraordinary things. Awesome things.

She had fought one of Manehattan's nastiest snowstorms in decades with captain Shining Armor. Became a part of a special unit with Storm Medley and Thunderlane, both Wonderbolt Academy greats, and even better, her friends. Teamwork, sacrifice and humility. She had learned these things and more in the interim of her suspension. Had more to go, but had came a much farther distance from the pony she used to be.

When she heard Spitfire was holding Winter Training, she jumped at the chance. The fallen ace had a shot to shine again, and Lightning would make sure she was a benefit to not only herself, but everypony involved. There was no stopping her this time.

Unless, y'know, they stopped her, told her her name was still blacklisted and hoofed her flanks off the cloud. That would suck majorly.

Another thing Lightning had learned a little of after all of being knocked around and toughened up by Stormy a bit. Subtlety.

Her arrival was quiet. She glided in, silent, flapping a wing once to settle down a short distance from a pair of pegasi talking to one another without a word. To anyone else, she was simply a pony with a thick black cloak, hiding her face and mane from view, though her tail was a bit of a giveaway. If there was to be a discovery, she'd at least have it on record that she wasn't trying to go unnoticed. Spitfire would learn first-hoof that the new Lightning Dust was a stand-up mare.

Spitfire nodded at her first arrival with a final pat on the shoulder.

"Yeah, we'll get these intros done properly once a few more show up. Good to know you don't fly cold, and I'll wanna hear about that Wonderbolt story later."

She turned her attention to the bookish mare who now stood beside the proud stallion, most of her muzzle hidden behind a sizable volume of something.

"And our second recruit arrives," she continued as Sky Flare greeted the other pegasus.

She made a quick mental note to check for her spare copies of training manuals in her office later. While she didn't believe a pony could become Wonderbolt material just by reading books, it certainly didn't do any harm to know the history of the team or some of their most famous headlines. If that put a little fire in the kid's feathers, so be it. To each their own, anyway.

It was then that the captain's amber eyes slid to meet yet a third form gliding down to the field of white: one whom obviously didn't want to be questioned by the look of its attire. Unfortunately black stood starkly against snow, and so did the distinct tail coloration of the stranger. Spitfire's expression didn't change, nor did she approach this third pony.

"Alright, greenwings," she said smoothly casting one more look to the skies. "Get stretching. The others will get here when they get here, but we're about to get started and see what you can do. Before we get in the air though, we'll get to know each other a bit. Start talking while you get limber. You first, Sky Flare."

Sky smiled as Spitfire gave a reassuring pat on his shoulder and compliments. Although the white Pegasus would admit that he liked praise and that he was glad that the captain of the Winderbolts didn't see him as some green wing who barely took to the skies before this training camp, he felt the need to prove himself to Spitfire and others that he could live up to those compliments.

"Well, I'll be happy to tell you it," he said as a third pony flew down. She seemed to know Spitfire and so did the yellow Pegasus know her. From the look of things, Spitfire was not pleased to see her.

"Hello there," Sky said, not willing to give the cold shoulder until something happened.

Sky then heard the order to begin stretching to loosen up and prepare for the future drills.

"Hey everypony," Sky said as he unfurled his wing to as open as they could be before closing and then opening them again, "I'm Sky Flare from Cloudsdale. I've been trying out stunts for a few years now since I got my cutie mark. It's been my dream to be on a flight team ever since I was a colt, especially I'd admit the Wonderbolts. So, I came here to learn and to test myself to prove that I got what it takes. And of course I'm always wanting to meet new ponies to fly with. I hope today is going to be an awesome time!"

Archived