Daring Do and the Several Signatures (Ended)

Lux

OOC: QuickLime will still be posting with her characters. I'll just be jumping around the timeline back and forth for a little bit.

30bp6ir.jpg

Every once in a while while doing her publicity events, A.K. Yearling would meet a fan who’d literally be speechless. Some of her readers admired her to such an extent that she’d get placed on a pedestal of gold. These die-hards therefore faced a good possibility of freezing up, too afraid of saying anything to their beloved author for fear of embarrassing themselves. Yearling herself wished that ponies wouldn’t elevate her to such lofty heights. She was just an adventurer regaling her tales to the public at large; not a ‘true’ author dedicating her life to written literature as everyone believed.

And of course, there were children who shared a similar reaction too, but A.K. Yearling forgave such young foals. This unicorn colt looked like one of those children, unable to produce a response other than hanging his jaw loose from his mouth. Gently smiling, Yearling beckoned the lad to come closer; “Come here, Snips. Be bold like Daring Do!” Encouraging little fans to imitate their idol often did the trick for this situation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mentally, Snips was kicking himself. This was his chance! He was blowing his one chance to talk to A.K. Yearling! He willed his jaw to move and... nothing. He heard Lore Weaver speaking, but the words just washed over him. Then, the author spoke to him, and somehow, her words got past his mental block.

“Come here, Snips. Be bold like Daring Do!" “Be bold like Daring Do!” “like Daring Do!”

"HiMissYearling!I'mSnipsandIloveDaringDo!She'sthebestadventurerever!She'sevencoolerthanRainbowDash!Canyoupleasesignmybook??" Snips took a huge breath at the end of a rambling string of words. He found that he had his copy of 'The Ring of Destiny' levitating before the author, though he didn't exactly recall taking the book out of his bag. Finally, when his brain caught back up with his mouth, Snips found himself blushing. "Um, sorry about that, Miss Yearling..." he said, much more slowly. "I'm a really big fan..."

30bp6ir.jpg

A.K. Yearling... couldn’t catch any of that babble. But then again, nopony ever said that the road to boldness was an easy path. The colt meanwhile was doing his best, having realized how he wasn’t understandable a few seconds ago. Rolling with things, Miss Yearling turned to a blank page as she enthusiastically smiled at the little unicorn; “I’m sure you’re a very big fan! Now, who’s this book for?” Most likely the kid was buying the novel for himself, but he did not need to be remained of his earlier rambling.

“Thank you Miss Yearling.”, the R.E.A guard kept a polite smile on her face through the signing, but noticed that her younger sibling had already cracked open the book, “Hey Wind, don’t start reading it yet. We did make a promise that we would read it together, remember?”, she placed her newly signed copy of the book into her saddle bag. “Yeah yeah.”, the filly groaned, “Just wanted to check out the table of contents.” Fire Walker shook her head as the pair moved out of the line. They promptly made their way over to Presteza and her mother, “Hey Pressy, if you two want to hang around, there’s this cute little outdoor café near Ponyville’s hub. We were going to have tea together, but there’s room at our table for four.”

Depending on the unicorn’s response, the group either left as a pair, or all together...

(Exit Fire Walker and Wind Walker)

PipsqueakBanner2_zps48c569dd.png

Pip glanced up at her and grinned, putting his hooves on the desk, taking his book out of his bag and sat it in front of him "Oh YES Miss Yearling! You are my favorite Author EVER!" He said, grinning at her, lower half wiggling in joy "I rather love yer books, it's a right good way t' get inspiration!" Daring Do had inspired his pirate costume last nightmare night due to a minor character that had popped up, and he wrote quite often about her in his school book reports! "I'm really glad that ya' here! Could you please sign m' book for me..?"

He wasn't shy, and he was really excited for a signed book by his beloved favorite author! She was amazing, her writing kept him on the edge of his seat ! "I'm Pipsqueak by the way! Y' can call me Pip though mam!"

30bp6ir.jpg

"Oh YES Miss Yearling! You are my favorite Author EVER! I rather love yer books, it's a right good way t' get inspiration! I'm really glad that ya' here! Could you please sign m' book for me..? I'm Pipsqueak by the way! Y' can call me Pip though mam!"

Note to self: Trottingham ponies apparently will travel a long way to get their Daring Do books signed. At least, that’s the conclusion A.K. Yearling came up with when presented with yet another customer who spoke with an accent from that region (assuming Pipsqueak didn't move from there and now lived in Ponyville). Anywho, the author really enjoyed the turnout from the little ones today; kids like Pipsqueak were always the most adorable fans. “I can most certainly sign your book Pip,” Yearling kindly informed her fan. Keeping the friendly chatter going, the author asked of the boy; “What’s been your favorite book in the series so far?”

• 4 weeks later...

Snips put a hoof across his chest, and took a couple of deep breaths. His heart was still beating rapidly, but even after his outburst he was finding it hard to stay calm. AK Yearling was actually talking to him! Well, really he'd seen her talk to ever pony in the line, but he never really thought she'd talk to him!

He stared at the author with stars in his eyes and answered, "Snips, ma'am, my name's Snips! Me an' my friend Snails have read all your books! Well, I don't think Snails has read the new one yet, but when we found out that Rainbow Dash reads your books, we started to read them too, and I really like Daring Do, and Snails and I went to Daring Con even, and I was dressed up and everything!" Well, at least that time when he'd started rambling, it was slower than before...

Taking another deep breath, Snips finally said, "Um, yeah, can you just sign it to Snips. please. Miss Yearling?"

30bp6ir.jpg

Interestingly enough, this Snips fellow happened to be a fan of A.K. Yearling’s latest adventuring companion, Rainbow Dash. Even though Miss Dash was obligated by contract not to tell anypony of her real-life involvement with Daring Do, the author predicted that there would be a few perceptive readers who’d easily recognize Ring of Destiny’s sidekick character as heavily inspired by the Ponyville daredevil, if not the same individual with an altered name. If Snips really was a fan of Rainbow’s (and Yearling knew full well that many kids were actually more perceptive than they behaved), he might be one of the few to notice the connection.

With that in mind, A.K. Yearling thought to insert a sneaky clue as she signed the colt’s copy of the book:

To Snips:

We oftentimes find our greatest heroes in the places we least expect.

~A.K. Yearling

In all honesty, that one line actually more or less summed up Ring of Destiny, considering how useless Daring Do judged the rainbow-coated pegasus to be for most of the book. Satisfied, Yearling provided Snips his book; “I’ve got a feeling that this may be your favorite book yet. Thank you for stopping by to see me today Snips.” And so Yearling moved on to the next customer, her stomach starting to gurgle for want of food. Almost time for lunch break.....

It had been a long and successful day at the bookstore with AK Yearling signing books. It was so exciting in fact that Lore Weaver forgot what time it was until he caught a glimpse of the pendulum driven clock behind his desk that read noon time. Looking over at the line there was Snips who already the author was signing his book and Pipsqueak who was right behind the colt. Maybe the reason for the line ending so abruptly was the same reason that Lore pondered: lunch time. Being a business owner he was free to open and close his shop at will for lunch or other activities, but he tried to remain routine so as not to confuse and possible shoppers. Lunch was no exception.

"Excuse me Miss Yearling," Lore said trying to ease in without much disruption, "but seeing as the line is short, are you planning on taking lunch soon?"

• 1 month later...

30bp6ir.jpg

A.K. Yearling's stomach gave a grumble as Lore Weaver asked the author when she was taking lunch. With the crowd dying down, Yearling judged it a perfect time to leave and grab something to eat in Ponyville. "I was just heading on out, actually. Autographs will resume in a hour when I return." Some of the stragglers were disappointed that their disadvantageous spot in line meant they'd have to wait even longer for their beloved author to return, but heck, good thing this was all during the weekend when most ponies didn't have to go to work.....

OOC: I'm officially calling this thread a wrap. QuickLime is free to finish her turn if she chooses, but I will not be responding to new characters that come in. Glad to see that my first Yearling thread turned out well. :)

OOC: I too am calling this co-op thread a wrap. Thanks to all who participated in this thread and to Bellosh101 for having AK Yearling participate!

Archived