Snapshots of an Empire (Open)

SteelEagle

mayormarerevectorizedby.png

The Mayor deserved a long, tax-funded vacation for her many efforts keeping the small city of Ponyville afloat amid a torrent of disasters brought on by and solved by the same group of mares. It took an iron will and kind smile, not to mention budgeting wizardry, to keep everypony happy and sane amidst the madness that was small-town Equestria. After years of success, the Mayor found herself thinned out and beholden to more than a few cups of coffee in the morning just to get her basic motor functions in a working state. A few may chalk that up to age, but the Mayor didn't use that excuse. Old age was a fact of life but she was in good shape and spirits. No, the grind was just getting to her and the fact she didn't dare take a day off meant that not only was she a staple of Ponyvillian life but she had lots of vacation days saved up! With the end of winter approaching and Ponyville running itself like a well oiled machine, the presence of the Mayor was hardly needed. In fact, it wasn't needed at all for a little while. Besides, the town had a Princess who lived there. She was superfluous at the moment.

So what better time to take a short vacation?

Twilight had taken executive power for the town's affairs for the time being and gave the Mayor a bit of a respite. For the first time in what seemed like forever- even before she was Mayor, when she was jutting around Equestria in various roles- she was wiithout an immediate responsibility. The first two days were spent a home in bed with coffee, hardly moving as she just spaced out in relaxation. The town didn't burn down or self-destruct so she felt secure in securing herself a real vacation. But where to go? The islands were attractive but out of her budget. She knew most other locations in Equestria and indeed had worked in most places she could fathom. On the dwindling list of locations one started to grow and dominate both her mind and possibilities. The Crystal Empire was one place she had never worked and her time there was marked by quick trips because of the Games and nothing more. No time to visit the sights and sounds of this fabled land that when she was a filly was lost to all time and memory. It was supposed to be beautiful, the ponies there fetching, and as her days of activity started to dwindle she knew that the time she had to visit this chilly paradise grew short. She bought a ticket, packed her things, and left for the Crystal Empire.

As she stopped off the train the next day, she was prepared for the elements with a dark blue sweater, a grey cap, and a pink scarf. Obviously the most well prepared Mayor Mare to ever step hoof into the Empire. She took a deep breath and looked around at the splendor of ths land, her eyes darting around yet not able to find something which did not shimmer and shine as brilliantly as her mind had dared to dream. Crystal spires shot out into the sky as underhead crystal ponies, perhaps ignorant of their own beauty, went about their day. It was going to be a great vacation, she could already feel it.

201px-Crystal_librarian_rejuvenated_S3E1.pngTilly Tome

It wasn't very often that the Crystal Empire's Head Librarian had a full day off. In fact, Tilly Tome prided herself in her faithful work attendance record. Counting all of the time King Sombra had 'suspended' the Crystal Empire, Tilly hadn't missed a schedule work day at the library in over 1000 years!

As the well read Crystal Pony mare took a quiet walk through the capitol city, she happened to spot a very familiar passenger disembarking from the train station. At first, the elderly mare couldn't place her, but then she remembered seeing her face in a number of Ponyville newspapers that had been delivered to the library. She neighed excitely when she recognized the Mayor! Galloping up to her, the smiling Crystal Pony greeted her.

"Mayor Mare!" she neighed, "my name is Tilly Tome, Head Librarian of the Crystal Empire and on behalf of her majesty Princess Cadance, I welcome you to the Crystal Empire! I have visited your fine city on occasion and it is a pleasure and an honor to meet you!"

(OOC- Sorry for late response, so backlogged!)

The crystal Ponies had a sterling reputation as a very gentle and upbeat race which went hoof in hoof with their crystalline coats. She was here more to meet with them and experience their kindness, as well as the wonderful land they called home. She didn't have to wait long, one of the crystal ponies approaching her almost as quickly as she had taken a deep breath of their fine air. Another elder pony too, though the Mayor had to remind herself that even the youngest fillies and colts had lived a thousand years ago in the time of Sombra. To think that they had lived in the time of myth and legend and now were a part of the world, the modern world- she had to imagine that it was just as much a shock to them as it was her. Almost as big a shock as when this pony knew her! Well, it wasn't too great a shock there because the Ponyville papers were distributed here, of all places. The Mayor shook the Crystal pony's hoof.

"Such a warm welcome from a warm pony! Thank you for the introduction, Miss Tome. Hopefully the rest of the Crystal ponies will be just as kind as you. I am very happy you enjoyed Ponyvile. It is a wonderful city filled by wonderful ponies and I am happy to serve them. So, Miss Tome, you work at the world-famous library in the Crystal Empire? I was planning on visiting that as well. No doubt this would be the best time, yes?"

"Oh my stars, yes Miss Mayor!" Tilly Tome neighed happily, "now is always the best time to visit a library! And may I just say we here in the Crystal Empire, we are so grateful to all you wonderful ponies of Equestria for donating so many new books and scrolls to our library! We Crystal Ponies had no idea what wonderful works have been written while we were all gone.."

Suddenly, bad memories about King Sombra entered her elderly mind. For a moment, she lowered her head her crystal coat became somewhat duller. Realizing what was happening, Tilly Tome shook her head and started to think more pleasant thoughts, instantly restoring her former luster.

"Anyway, Madam Mayor, if you'd like a guided tour of our fine Crystal Empire Library, I would be more than happy to show you around. Even though it is my day off, I would consider it a great honor to show off our amazing facility!"

Miss Tome was very much the very air of a kindly Crystal pony. It almost got a bit excessive, a fact which bothered the Mayor little- if any act was in such supply that she didn't mind a bit of overkill, it was generosity to travellers. She had always made it a priority to treat guests to Ponyville as valued citizens and friends, as the best form of advertisement was the sort that came warm from the heart and with the message of love and friendship. In return, she never received a poor word about her town and Ponyville had a sterling reputation aming the Equestrians who had visited, even before it became home to national heroes. This pony was doing just as well as she, even in a less formal caacity. Of course the mayor noticed a bit of a dampened coat at the recollection of Sombra's time, which signalled that it was a topic best left avoided.

"Well, lets go then. I don't have forever to spend on my vacation, sadly enough," The mayor said with a chuckle, trotting deeper into the city of glittering Crystals. Ponies milled about their day just as they would anywhere else, even if the hint and hammer of Crystal seemed to shimmer in the air and sparkle in the lungs.

"So, you work how many days a week? In Ponyville, our resident, how to say, 'librarian' keeps it going twenty four seven of her own will. Of course, she has the authority to do as she pleases in that regard! How many books does the library have, and when did you start working there? I'm quite excited to see it. I hear it has several works that were considered lost to history!"

"It will be an honor to show you our library!" Tilly Tome neighed as she started to lead the Mayor towards the large Library complex. As they walked, the elderly crystal mare listened to all of the visiting politician's questions, smiling as she was very eager to answer them.

"My stars! I do love your questions, Madam Mayor. After all, as the ancient Crystal Pony philosopher Sockrates once wrote, 'questions are the beginning of wisdom'. Of course, I read where Sockrates got her name because she fancied wearing socks all the time. Oh, sorry, got a little sidetracked there. Well, I used to work at our library every single day, but because of my, advanced age, I've been regulated to five days a week. I would much like to meet your Ponyville librarian! Sounds like she's very dedicated to her job! As for the number of books we have, that number would be 165,365 not counting all of the ancient scrolls in the Reserve room and the book shipment we were scheduled to receive today. And yes, I do believe some visiting Equestria historians confirmed that our library does have many scrolls considered lost to history. All of those that have not been sent to Canterlot University for further analysis are in the Reserve Room."

As she finished speaking, the two were now standing at the base of the stone stairs leading into the Crystal Empire Library.

"And here we are, Madam Mayor! Isn't the building's outside architecture grand?"

The Mayor gave her Crystal Guide all the attention she deserved, her eagerness and capability in answering the politician's queries well respected and valued. It was increasing;y rare for her to get straight answers! Most people looked at her as a politician first and curious pony second and as great and valued a position the Mayor of Ponyville was, some days she was more Mayor Mare than...Mayor. So it was nice to have a little history delivered by Tome, and what accuracy! The library contained how many books? To think that any library anywhere had such a gathering of knowledge. Even Canterlot's royal archives weren't just one library, but several, and each was significantly smaller than the Crystal Empire's Library, or so she was led to believe.

Led to believe, and then she could see it to believe in addition. On either side of the elongated crystal staircase were striking statues of Griffons and at the top was a pair of huge doors, the entire piece was one long, huge decorum throwback to a period long since forgotten. She was lucky to work at such a place!

"Oh, this is simply marvelous!" The Mayor squealed with delight, snapping off a few quick shots so she could remember the experience forever- not that she needed the help after seeing such beauty.

"You must consider yourself so lucky to go to work here five days a week, Tome. I doubt Twilight Sparkle knows how lucky she is to live in that library. Knowledge of all great Equestrian and Crystal ponies, quite a burden to protect it but a greater deal more fun to access it! Do you find yourself going through these books faster than you can get new ones?" The Mayor offered with a sly grin as she started ascending the staircase.

WWWXRbf.jpg

"Oof!",before the kindly mayor of Ponyville got two steps up the staircase she was caught in a collision with a younger mare in a curious looking straw sunhat. "Sorry abou' that... I'll try and look where I'm goi--" The pony took a moment and looked intensely at Mayor Mare,"Ah! Mayor Mare I didn't think I'd run inta ya here! nice ta see ya again! I didn't hurt ya did I?" The mare proclaimed in a peppy tone.

Presteza's previous interactions with the mayor were during an event in which she lent a hoof to the older pony's charity work. What had brought her to the Crystal empire was a rapidly approaching chosen date for Princess Cadence's own portrait! Presteza had come to the empire a few weeks before the deadline so she wouldn't be late, this way she could see the sights, admire the architecture, and better acquaint herself with the local flavor.

Looking to the even older looking mare she gave a bow and smiled before asking,"Um... Have I seen ya before? I think I saw you a couple times in this place last week."

"I must confess, Mayor Mare, I take my responsibility as Head Librarian very seriously, so I do try to read through any newly arriving books before I place them out for the public," Tilly Tome said, "I do this partly out of duty, and partly out of my own curiousity. I do agree with you, madam Mayor, knowledge is power..."

Suddenly, the collision of the Mayor with Presteza stopped the elderly crystal pony's rambling.

"MY STARS!" she neighed, "are you two alright? That seems to be a nasty fall you took! Should I call for a doctor?"

Then she heard Presteza's question and took a good look at her face.

"Indeed miss, I do remember seeing you here as well! And you did see me here before, after all, this is where I work! I love this library! I'd live in it if it were permitted! Your name is, Press.. Prest... Zest... er... I know I can get it.... er.... maybe...."

The Crystal Library was known to be one of the largest in all existence, home to as many books as some thought there were stars in the sky. The Mayor wasn't an astronomer nor was she sure of the comparison, but she did know that an exaggeration like that had to have some basis in fact. And indeed, judgung by the scale of the building in front of her, she had no doubt that was the case. The fact that Tome made a concerted and earnest effort to read each and every book that came through those doors was beyond impressive likewise, and struck the Mayor more as hyperbole than anything else. But just as they described the the library in an exaggerated fashion with a ring of truth surrounding it, the librarian spoke in hyperbole with a solid core of truth behind it. She may not actually read them all, but she no doubt had an intimate knowledge of what was contained inside. The perfect guide.

"Talk about commitment! I think Twi-" The Mayor begin to reply before out of the corner of her aging eye a blur of activity before she blindsided. The impact with the force sent her tumbling down a few steps, recovering once she was at the bottom og the staircase. Previously sealed bruise flared back up as her aged body did not take the impact kindly. She pulled herserlf up with a slight groan and moan, processing the event after the fact with a bit of anger. It would take a clumsy pony to just fall down a staircase. Was it a filly or a colt? Understandable, but it'd have to be an abnormally large one to do that. It must have been a mare or a stallion and they had far fewer excuses for such clumsiness around others. The Mayor's anger wasn't bubbling over and she wasn't furious, but as she searched for the one responsible with a quick scan of the eyes she was definitely upset and frayed.

Presteza? The Mayor's mood calmed a little. The nice mare who, along with others, had helped out with a troubling situation regarding the shelter for the needy in Ponyville. A wonderful painter and good friend to many, the Mayor couldn't help but wonder what it was she was doing here of all places this time of the year. Still didn't mean that the Mayor was all too happy about being knocked down.

"Nice to see you too. But significantly less happy to bump into you," the Mayor sighed, brushed herself off and started up the stairs again, "I'll be fine. A little soreness all over my legs now, but that'll pass. No need for a doctor, Miss Tome. What brings you to the Crystal Empire, Presteza?"

• 2 weeks later...

WWWXRbf.jpg

"Indeed miss, I do remember seeing you here as well! And you did see me here before, after all, this is where I work! I love this library! I'd live in it if it were permitted! Your name is, Press.. Prest... Zest... er... I know I can get it.... er.... maybe...."

"Nice to see you too. But significantly less happy to bump into you," the Mayor sighed, brushed herself off and started up the stairs again, "I'll be fine. A little soreness all over my legs now, but that'll pass. No need for a doctor, Miss Tome. What brings you to the Crystal Empire, Presteza?"

"Don' worry about it, Miss Tome. I know it can be a pain ta say, so ya can call me 'Pressy' or 'Tezza' if ya like!" she said with a playful chuckle. Looking to the mayor she puffed out her chest with pride as she spoke, " Weeeeell...Not ta brag 'r anythin' but yer lookin' the next artist ta paint one o' the crystal empire's rulers; Princess Cadence." Following the mayor up the stairs with Tilly (hopefully) in tow. As they ascended the stairs, Presteza was sure to look where she was going before looking to the mayor once again. "Sorry again about bumpin' inta ya, Mayor. I was kinda Daydreamin'... so wot about you? Are ya hear ta take in the sights and stuff?"

Tilly Tome was relieved that both the Mayor and Presteza seemed to be alright after their collision. Quickly, the elderly crystal mare followed them up the stairs, rushing in front of them with a quick burst of speed as she held the huge wooden front door open for them.

"Please step this way, my new friends! Allow me to show you the wonders of our Crystal Empire Library!" Tilly Tome proudly proclaimed as she waited for them to enter inside before bolting out in front of them. "OH MY STARS! I have SO much to show you!"

The elderly crystal mare was nearly giddy with joy as she began to point to different areas of the Library as she described them.

"That hallway leads to the Reserve Room, where we keep all our reference material as well as the rare scrolls I told you about before, Madam Mayor! Up there is our Main Section, it contains all of our books available for reading and borrowing. That over there is the front desk. If I were on duty today, that's where I would be, ready to answer questions and search for books and scrolls that are requested by patrons. We even have a nice Reading Room where ponies can read in peace and quiet. Do either of you have any questions about the Library?"

So, Presteza was in town to paint a portrait of Princess Cadance. How nice! Soon Ponyville would be home to more than a few Equestria-wide famous artists. It would certainly do the town good to have a bit of a change of character every once in a while. She loved the rustic charm and down-home feelings of family and work that stitched her little town together, but the arts were just one thing that Ponyville was disproportionately proud of. It would be nice for the ponies of her town to get the same recognition outside of their hometown as inside of it, if not at least more than they did now.

"That'll be fine, Presteza. Not the first or last time I've been knocked down, nor the first or last time on vacation for that matter. So happy to hear that your career is going so well, Pressy. A portrait of a Princess? I mean, you could have just stayed home and done that with Twilight but I suppose travel is a reason all its own to take the job," She said with a smile as Tome rushed on by in her exuberance to show the library off. The Mayor wasn't going to dally behind and followed in pace, excited herself to see the splendor of ages past.

And what splendor it was! Immediately she started taking pictures, but not of the sections of the library that Tome was describing even if they were themselves spectacular. No, the archiecture itself was beyond all reckoning, the ancient glory and splendor of an empire spelled out delightfully in minute details displayed across window panes and pillars alike. Even the shells glittered and glistedn in the lighter light as the sun sho through gently the roof above. All in all, not a dissapointment, and that went for Tome as well. She had a blast telling the Mayor all about her library, not that the library needed her fluffing up. It was splendid, as the Mayor's burgeoning camera roll declared most vehemently and passionately.

"This is so beautiful! When did it open?"

• 2 weeks later...

WWWXRbf.jpg

"Do either of you have any questions about the Library?"

Presteza had been in the library for most of the day and as a result had familiarized herself with the layout of it. The only problem with this was that it rather limited any questions. Taking a moment to think for a decent question all she could come up with was, "Um... How many books does this place have and do ya have any on art?"

"That'll be fine, Presteza. Not the first or last time I've been knocked down, nor the first or last time on vacation for that matter. So happy to hear that your career is going so well, Pressy. A portrait of a Princess? I mean, you could have just stayed home and done that with Twilight but I suppose travel is a reason all its own to take the job,"

The peppy young painter beamed with pride at the mention of her art career already going on the right track,"Thanks, Mayor! I actually did wanna paint the new princess... but I didn't wanna bother her since she's probably too busy with her princess-y stuff. Besides I'm just some new artist and I figured the new princess wouldn't settle for an upstart like me." Presteza may be fully aware of her talent as an artist but she always seeking to improve it. Even though the mare desperately wanted to paint all the princesses at some point the likely reason she didn't ask her is because she was the tiniest bit shy to approach a princess the way she normally looked and carried herself.

OOC- Short post so I don't get a warning.

So she shot high and didn't let the blinding sun distract her? That was good to hear. the Mayor was always a fan of the ambitious with a taste for grandeur in their dreams. It was always far more fascinating than the dull and downtrodden who kept their aim low and hit their marks with little acclaim. Fail or succeed, at least Presteza didn't lack ambition and desire and that would take her far in life irrespective of skill or plain old luck. And it didn't hurt her that Twilight was a very approachable mare who was given to helping out ponies in need. While she wasn't a glory hound, a bit of publicity came with the title and she must have known that would be part of the job description. She wouldn't mind helping a pony out, and she was easy to reach.

"Twilight always seems available to me to lend a helping hoof in relatively trivial matters. She is very approachable and kind. I would just talk to her and ask her if it would be alright. The worst thing she can say is no, and that is not always such a bad thing," The Mayor finished kindly as her wandering eyes feasted on the rivulets of knowledge that fasted on the fortress of learning around her. She snapped a few more pictures as her mind wandered behind her eyes, wondering what lay at the foundation of this building's history.

"So, who was the librarian before you?"

At times, Tilly Tome was slow to speak due to her age. The elderly Crystal Pony loved her job and refused to retire, even if her aging body and mind didn't move as fast as they used to. Even though this was her day off, Tilly Tome decided she'd do her very best to help her new friends learn about the vast Crystal Empire Library.

"To answer your questions, Madam Mayor, this particular library was established when I was a little foal, about seventy years before, well before, King Sombra..." the Crystal Pony spoke in hesitation as her body briefly lost and then regained it's shine and luster. "Before this library was built, there were a number of smaller, neighborhood libraries throughout the Crystal Empire. It was decided that having a more central location for all of the public library books would be preferred, so this magnificent building was constructed. As a foal, my parents often brought me to the construction site so we could all watch the library being built! Well, that and being with my mother when she worked here. Took nearly a year, but when it was finished, it was a wonder to behold! Maybe that's where I first got my great love for the library and it's books. I sort of answered your other question too, Mayor. My mother, Sacred Scroll, was the Head Librarian here until she retired and I took over. She taught me the job but also imparted in me her passion for what she did every single day, rest her soul."

Tilly Tome then turned towards the young unicorn mare.

"Miss Presteza, there were 165,365 books in the library at closing yesterday. This, of course, doesn't count all of the ancient scrolls in the Reverse Room. Ah! I see the shipping list of newly delivered books on the Front Desk here," the elderly Crystal Pony said as she grabbed it up and read it very quickly, doing the math in her head, "And with these additional 543 books, that brings the total to 165,908 books available for reading here. Ah! We even got the latest Daring Do books! Excellent! Now we have to complete set! I'd requested the complete works of Louise LaMare, but we're still missing a copy of 'The War of the Roses.' I am told it wasn't as popular as her Pioneer Pony days books, but any book on anicent griffon life, even if it's fictional, is worthwhile reading to me. Do either of you have any more questions for me?"

• 2 weeks later...

FlnbVAt.jpg

"Twilight always seems available to me to lend a helping hoof in relatively trivial matters. She is very approachable and kind. I would just talk to her and ask her if it would be alright. The worst thing she can say is no, and that is not always such a bad thing,"

"Well... I suppose I could try and say 'ello to 'er next time I'm in Ponyville." said the mare as they walked along with miss tome and waited for their questions to be answered. "I mean I've already gotten ta be good friends with Rarity and Applejack, so even if I can't work up the courage myself I could ask one o' them ta intraduce me."

"Miss Presteza, there were 165,365 books in the library at closing yesterday. This, of course, doesn't count all of the ancient scrolls in the Reverse Room. Ah! I see the shipping list of newly delivered books on the Front Desk here, And with these additional 543 books, that brings the total to 165,908 books available for reading here. Ah! We even got the latest Daring Do books! Excellent! Now we have to complete set! I'd requested the complete works of Louise LaMare, but we're still missing a copy of 'The War of the Roses.' I am told it wasn't as popular as her Pioneer Pony days books, but any book on anicent griffon life, even if it's fictional, is worthwhile reading to me. Do either of you have any more questions for me?"

"Wow! I don' even think my mom's study has that many books... but then again this is a library and she just studies and researches magic." thought the mare upon the mention of all the books in the library. A bright smile appeared on her face as she heard the mention of one of her favorite book series and the mention of another pony she knew; Miss Louise Lamare. She'd never really had the chance to read any of her friend from appleoosa's books, maybe now was her chance. Raising her hoof as if she was a schoolfilly to ask a question, "When I get a chance could I take out a copy of one o' those pioneer pony books?" she was about to put her hoof down but there was one thing was confusing her though, "Um, Miss tome. Wot's a 'Reverse room'"

It was good that the painter was creating a circle of friends worthy of any leading townspony. Applejack was a bedrock member of the community from both her family's vast and well-connected history with the town from its very foundation. It didn't hurt that she was a wonderfully kind and caring mare herself. Rarity was one of the more unique and ambitious ponies the Mayor had ever known, and her fame outside of Ponyville equalled easily her fame within. It again did not hurt that she had a knack for living up to your greatest image of her whenever the chips were on the table. It was good that she was making friends with the right type of pony in the right type of town and not falling for the lies and libel of those who sought to undermine a town's good morality. Then again, the Mayor wasn't sure that she had many of those types taking up valuable Ponyville real estate.

"I could always arrange that visit for you if you can't find time yourself, though I'd be aghast at doing so. She prefers to not deal with middlemares," The MAyor laughed, knowing the life of a middlemare extensively, from her days in Stalliongrad and Trottingham to Manehattan and Ponyville, the wheels of bureaucracy turned on the efficiency of middlemares. Best way to be efficient? Get rid of them!

But that was just a side attraction to the main event that was the beautiful library. The deep rows of knowledge compounded by deep rows of superb literature didn't lie, as their vast number impressed even the Mayor. It was true that there were a hoof full of libraries in Equestria that were larger, but none had the splendor and design of this magnificent building. It housed over sixteen thousand tomes while the Ponyville library had bare under nine hundred, though Twilight had a personal selection for research that likely doubled it. even the day to day arrival rate was much higher, which didn't shock the Mayor much at all- this library served the needs of an Empire alone, while Ponyvillians with a taste for culture had many more options around the Heartland.

"Amazing, Tome. I can't believe how lucky you are to work here! But what is the reverse room?"

There were times when Tilly Tome would get so excited and giddy, she'd often mispronounce words. When both Mayor Mare and Presteza asked about the 'Reverse Room', the elderly crystal pony librarian realized her error.

"Oh my stars!" she said with an embarrassed look on her face, "I must apologize to you both. I meant to say, we have a RESERVE Room in our library for special books and items that can be examined and enjoyed on the premises but cannot be 'checked out' by library patrons. Thus, these books, scrolls and other items are reserved for viewing there. I don't know why I would ever call it a 'reverse room.' Oh, NOW I remember! I was reading a book by that famous science fiction author Raybrad Berry that had time traveling ponies in it! They constructed a Reverse Room to help a poor mare who had been a victim of an evil spell to... oh my! I don't want to give away the entire plot of the book, in case either of you would like to read it someday."

Realizing that she was rambling, Tilly Tome paused for a moment before turning to Presteza to answer her question.

"Of course you may borrow any of Louise LaMare's Pioneer Pony books to read! The first of the series is titled 'Westward Ho!" and it talks about a group of ponies long ago who trekked into the unknown wilderness to build a town they could call their own. Y'know, I have heard it said that this book inspired a group of ponies in Equestria to travel westward and establish a town called, Appleoosa. Don't know if that's true or not, but anyway, feel free to browse! Those books are in the Fiction section, third bookshelf from the right, fifth row, middle of the row."

Archived