Any Bronies into Anime?

Megas XLR really was a lot of fun. That show had a great sense of humor.

But yeah, I'm probably one of the few anime fans who just really doesn't get the giant robot thing. It's just not all that interesting to me. I'd rather have people fighting directly in my action scenes than using some big machines to do it all. The giant robot anime I have really loved (Evangelion, Geass, etc) I've always liked for the parts that weren't about the robots.

That's because you are not a fan of the mecha genre. And you are not alone, i know a lot of people who don't get it.

I will explain it as follows: I find a scrap pile, ruins and junked vehicles appealing to look at. Ergo, i am weird and can't explain my fixation with mecha to anyone.

My belief is that you are either: born with the "HECKYESROBOTS!" gene, or you're not.

You're probably right. I don't dislike mecha, it's just not really my thing, I guess. I'd take cute girls fighting over fighting robots any day.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking Kamisama no Memo-cho a lot too so far, though I'm only up to episode two or three on everything I'm watching (and I'm watching practically everything). It is just incredibly well done so far.

It is definitely up there, but I'm not sure it'll end up being the anime of the season for my tastes. Mawaru Penguindrum is just so impressively fun and bizarre, and then there's Yuru Yuri which is one of those shows that just seems to pinpoint my weakness while being a legitimately funny entry in its genre.

This season isn't nearly as incredibly busy as last, but I'm generally impressed so far.

I spent some time back in May, after FiM finished, filling some holes in my anime knowledge.

So far, I've seen:

Fullmetal Alchemist (None of Brotherhood yet :D )

Ghost in the Shell (Movie, Stand Alone Complex, and Second Gig)

Cowboy Bebop

Trigun

Witch Hunter Robin

Death Note

Strawberry Panic

Elfen Lied

Code Geass (R1 and R2)

Mai Hime/Mai Otome

Angelic Layer

Scrapped Princess

Hellsing

.hack//sign (probably my favorite anime)

Baccano!

Edit: Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (How did I forget that one?)

And I'm probably forgetting a couple...

YES. HELL YES. HELL ****ING YES.

now only needs to announce Sunrise as the making studio and im golden.

Oh yeah, I read that the other day and remembered your recommendation of the visual novel. I'll definitely check out the anime when it shows.

It doesn't sound like the sort of thing Sunrise would pick up though. As much as I'm a fan of that studio, I honestly kind of think they're at their best with original projects rather than adapting things anyway.

YES. HELL YES. HELL ****ING YES.

now only needs to announce Sunrise as the making studio and im golden.

Oh yeah, I read that the other day and remembered your recommendation of the visual novel. I'll definitely check out the anime when it shows.

chances are 50/50 you wont understand a thing of what is (will be) going on...

scratch that, you wont understand a thing, period. unless you do read the novel first.

and..... ufotable then? (way to burst my bubble D:

Why do you say that? It's an adaptation of a novel rather than a continuation of one. The anime should be able to make sense on its own, I would hope. I kind of understand the logic in making an anime film where it doesn't make sense unless you've read the source, like the Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works film, but I can't see a studio getting away with making a full length TV series that doesn't try to be accessible to new viewers, especially since this appears to be the first animation project of any sort based on this property.

And I don't mean to burst your bubble, just saying, really, what have Sunrise made that's excellent that is an adaptations of an existing work? Sunrise, like Gainax, is a studio I always think about for their original creations first.

I haven't seen too much of ufotable's output yet. I'm eager to see how they handle Fate/Zero.

The anime should be able to make sense on its own

sort of.... but then you reread the news article and see that they are animating a side story instead of the main one (where all the tech- and universe-heavy mumbojumbo is told and/or happens) so yeah :D

regarding ufotable... go watch Kara no Kyoukai (the 1st one is like 40 mins long iirc) just make sure you fasten something around your jaw first

I did see it was a side story. Still, it makes no logical sense to me that it would be made inaccessible to people who aren't already fans. It says its a TV anime, which means its not just a product for preexisting fans to buy but something that's going to air on Japanese television in direct competition for ratings with other TV anime. From a productions standpoint, it makes sense for them to make it as easy to jump into things as possible not make it something for fans only; it will make more money that way. If the novel was written without proper exposition for newcomers, I'm going to guess thar the anime adaption will find a way to work it in.

I really need to watch Kara no Kyoukai someday. I've really been meaning to since I love Type Moon so much, just one of many things I've never gotten around to.

I did see it was a side story. Still, it makes no logical sense to me that it would be made inaccessible to people who aren't already fans. It says its a TV anime, which means its not just a product for preexisting fans to buy but something that's going to air on Japanese television in direct competition for ratings with other TV anime. From a productions standpoint, it makes sense for them to make it as easy to jump into things as possible not make it something for fans only; it will make more money that way. If the novel was written without proper exposition for newcomers, I'm going to guess thar the anime adaption will find a way to work it in.

I really need to watch Kara no Kyoukai someday. I've really been meaning to since I love Type Moon so much, just one of many things I've never gotten around to.

hmmm... well yeah, bad wording on my part.

they will surely make a "standalone-capable" show and it will certainly be great, BUT you will miss what made the VN a "masterpiece" and will only appear as a "great" show, unless they take (more than) a couple of episodes to explain it all, but im doubting that would happen since muvluv is HUGE in Japan, there is almost noone that hasnt read it (be it the VNs or the LN or manga adaptations).

again regarding season anime:

Usagi Drop: SEASON'S BEST

cant understand why PenguinDrum is THAT hyped/liked, it is good but...

edit:

Sunrise is the ideal studio for Muvluv, period (mech heavy). hope it happens.

I see. I wonder why this is the first anime adaption of the property then. Usually the biggest properties get adapted fairly quickly.

But I've always thought every anime should be able to stand alone separate of its source material. If it can only achieve "great" on it's own, that's that. Doesn't mean anyone should have to go read anything else. Of course, granted, this could be the entry point into the property. This anime could get me to play the visual novels, like the Fate/Stay Night anime did. I just don't like the idea of having to watch the visual novels to enjoy the anime.

Usagi Drop? Yeah. I'm not quite up to date, but it's really cute and endearing. I doubt it'd ever be something consider best of the season though.

As for what you're saying about Penguindrum, I get that. I was in the same position last season with Ano Hana; just did not understand all the hype with that show. But PenguinDrum on the other hand, does seem to really click with me; I wasn't even aware it was all that hyped. I suppose it's a matter of personal taste.

Oh, it has mecha? That explains, I suppose. Still, all of Sunrise's best known mecha anime were originals; I can't remember them making a mecha anime that was an adaption of something.

• 2 weeks later...
I see. I wonder why this is the first anime adaption of the property then. Usually the biggest properties get adapted fairly quickly.

But I've always thought every anime should be able to stand alone separate of its source material. If it can only achieve "great" on it's own, that's that. Doesn't mean anyone should have to go read anything else. Of course, granted, this could be the entry point into the property. This anime could get me to play the visual novels, like the Fate/Stay Night anime did. I just don't like the idea of having to watch the visual novels to enjoy the anime.

i MUST say: dont play it to enjoy the anime then, trust me and the >300 people who have rated it over 9 on the vndb on it being fantastically great.
Usagi Drop? Yeah. I'm not quite up to date, but it's really cute and endearing. I doubt it'd ever be something consider best of the season though.
hmmm.... blame it on a rather bland season then... i guess. and yeah, on it being great (Rin adorability makes Fluttershy seem 'normal' sometimes, this coming from an absolute Fluttertard as me)
As for what you're saying about Penguindrum, I get that. I was in the same position last season with Ano Hana; just did not understand all the hype with that show. But PenguinDrum on the other hand, does seem to really click with me; I wasn't even aware it was all that hyped. I suppose it's a matter of personal taste.

well yeah, like i said it IS enjoyable but some people are going a bit too far:

disclaimer:

The following ragecomic represents my own personal opinion, therefore it must be accepted as universal truth :smug:

6e565e34-3eac-40c8-a9c0-aece2191be62.jpg

it seriously needs to STOP PLAYING THE WHOLE GODDAMN TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE ALREADY, GOT ANNOYING/OLD SINCE THE 3RD TIME :evil::x

also:

*realizes im not watching blood c*

poker-face.jpg

*starts watching blood c*

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

gory... just how i like my vampire/human-devouring-demon stuff.

i MUST say: dont play it to enjoy the anime then, trust me and the >300 people who have rated it over 9 on the vndb on it being fantastically great.

I'll consider it. I don't have a lot of time to play visual novels though, so I probably won't get to it for a while. All I'm saying is I'm almost definitely going to see the anime first.

hmmm.... blame it on a rather bland season then... i guess. and yeah, on it being great (Rin adorability makes Fluttershy seem 'normal' sometimes, this coming from an absolute Fluttertard as me)

There seem to be a lot of series this season featuring aggressively cute young girls, and I think I'm watching most of them. Might be why it doesn't stand out to me quite as much.

well yeah, like i said it IS enjoyable but some people are going a bit too far:

disclaimer:

The following ragecomic represents my own personal opinion, therefore it must be accepted as universal truth :smug:

6e565e34-3eac-40c8-a9c0-aece2191be62.jpg

it seriously needs to STOP PLAYING THE WHOLE GODDAMN TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE ALREADY, GOT ANNOYING/OLD SINCE THE 3RD TIME :evil::x

I have absolutely no problem with excessive, repeated transformation sequences. I've just grown used to it. I mean, they're in practically any given traditional magical girl show.

That comic is great though. I would probably agree that those are my five favorite shows of the year so far (even if I still haven't seen the last few episodes of Gosick for whatever reason).

But I really pay almost no attention to hype when it comes to anime. I didn't even know people were calling Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko one of the best shows of the year (the other ones on that comic I probably could have guessed on the other hand). I've seen very little of the Penguindrum hype, so I know I'm not being caught up in it. I'm just genuinely impressed by the show.

also:

*realizes im not watching blood c*

poker-face.jpg

*starts watching blood c*

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

gory... just how i like my vampire/human-devouring-demon stuff.

I've been watching Blood-C (a given considering I've enjoyed CLAMP works in the past and also love other works in the Blood franchise). This anime doesn't seem very deep, but it's appealingly stylish and fun to watch.

Yep. CLAMP is writing it and doing the character designs. It's animated by Production I.G.

It's kind of atypical for a CLAMP work, at least from what I've seen so far. I'm liking it though. Really pretty and has a lot of satisfying action.

Interesting set of trailers there.

I never got into Shana. And though I own Persona 4, I haven't played it yet, so I'm unsure I should watch the anime right away.

Definitely pumped for that Fate/Zero. That shall be amazing.

finally found why they chose to adapt total eclipse instead of the main trilogy-of-sorts of MuvLuv

Total Eclipse is set in the same world as Alternative, at Alaska's Yukon base, test site 18, where first-class staff from all over the world regardless of country gather to work on new Tactical Surface Fighters.

The main characters are engineers and pilots and it features many TSFs that failed to show up in Alternative.

Total Eclipse is a joint project of Age, Volks and Tech Gian with a homepage separate from the one for Muv-Luv Altered Fable.

so obviuosly they would push more cash into it...

* TSF being the name of the mechs.