Any Bronies into Anime?

I liek one piece! :B

Well, i used to like it, until they decided to waste my time with over 150 episodes of nothing. I stopped watching it shortly after the series decided to expand the back story of a character that they had just killed. Seriously, maybe i would have cared more about his death if this saga about his past had come out BEFORE he died.

Out of recent Anime, i have only enjoyed Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

Ranma 1/2 is my favorite anime of all time.

I just couldn't get into Panty and Stocking even though I wanted to. It looked really nice, and there was a lot about it I did like. The humor was just too crude for my tastes. I gave up on it after like five episodes.

I couldn't get into One Piece either, actually. I think that might have to do more with it being the original English dub that I tried to get into though...

I've read a very small amount of the manga version of Ranma 1/2 and that seemed pretty good at least... even if I didn't ever look at any more.

Well, you quit on P&Sw/G exactly one episode before it got better. The introduction of the demon sisters actually marks the point where i began to enjoy the series as opposed to just like it.

The humor is not for everyone, but then again, it was a breath of fresh air to watch an anime which wasn't about an Emo teen who has to save the world by believing in his friends or an insane person murdering other people because "the world sucks/my friend died/imma clone waaaah"

Then again, i did watch a lot of simpsons, futurama, family guy and south park... which is pretty much the sort of humor they are emulating.

Oh, one pieceis great. Much more watchable than the junk that is popular nowadays.

Ranma 1/2 is to comedy/shipping anime what Dragonball Z is to "stare at your opponent and scream" anime. You need to watch it sometime.

Oh, and i just remembered some animes that i enjoyed.

There is Heroman, which stan lee worked on and is not based on any old franchise. Anything 100% new that is also good earns a million points in my book.

Hajime no Ippo was godly. It's the only fighting anime where the action is fluid and somewhat realistic. And it NEVER degrades into super powered fights. Heck, the shipping is subtle on this series. What anime has subtle shipping anymore? Oh, and no fanservice. NO FANSERVICE! God, was that anime good.

Well, you quit on P&Sw/G exactly one episode before it got better. The introduction of the demon sisters actually marks the point where i began to enjoy the series as opposed to just like it.

The humor is not for everyone, but then again, it was a breath of fresh air to watch an anime which wasn't about an Emo teen who has to save the world by believing in his friends or an insane person murdering other people because "the world sucks/my friend died/imma clone waaaah"

Then again, i did watch a lot of simpsons, futurama, family guy and south park... which is pretty much the sort of humor they are emulating.

Oh, one pieceis great. Much more watchable than the junk that is popular nowadays.

Ranma 1/2 is to comedy/shipping anime what Dragonball Z is to "stare at your opponent and scream" anime. You need to watch it sometime.

Oh, and i just remembered some animes that i enjoyed.

There is Heroman, which stan lee worked on and is not based on any old franchise. Anything 100% new that is also good earns a million points in my book.

Hajime no Ippo was godly. It's the only fighting anime where the action is fluid and somewhat realistic. And it NEVER degrades into super powered fights. Heck, the shipping is subtle on this series. What anime has subtle shipping anymore? Oh, and no fanservice. NO FANSERVICE! God, was that anime good.

I might give Panty and Stocking another chance someday. I just don't remember laughing at any of what I saw. I have a kind of strange sense of humor sometimes though, so it's probably just me.

I like a lot of modern anime. It can be just as good as the classics or better.

I should probably try Ranma 1/2 someday. it always sort of interested me. It was just already kind of old by the time I heard about it and I never got to it.

I thought about watching Heroman, but just never did. I'm not really sure why.

And absolutely no fanservice? My interest is killed. A good anime needs a little.

Out of recent Anime, i have only enjoyed Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

You are now my favorite.

See? i foretold we where going to be best of friends. I can see into your soul. (we need a pinkie's swirly eye stare emoticon,)

--

Well Phil, PSG is not to everyone's taste. So, i really don't feel the need to tell someone who has watched it to give it another chance.

As for Fan Service....

If i want Fanservice, i go watch dirty sites. I like my show to be clean, unless there is a purpose to the scene in question. Fanservice is one of the reasons i have quit a LOT of anime halfway through.

I hate it. (unless it's done for the lulz, like in PSG)

Though there is a few shower scenes where the guys are talking about stuff and horsing around. Then you see some of their pixelated manhoods. But i didn't count it as fan service, as it had some character development to the whole thing.

Most modern anime is cookie cutter, to the point i can see plot-twists a million miles before they happen. If i guess the ending in under 25 episodes, i just don't bother finishing them.

I guess not everyone is cursed with the ability to see the future in the same way as me. But it does tend to ruin my experience when i'm watching an anime, they call in all of the chieftan doods from around the world because there is a threat and i go "Look at all the cool looking characters the big bad is going to kill to show how awesome he is!" and surely enough. That's exactly what happens.

Do feel free to suggest anime you believe would change my opinion. I do like watching anime, it's just that i very rarely get to enjoy the stories being told.

Also, those last three? definitely give them a chance.

Ranma 1/2 is starting to age, so you might not enjoy it as much if you wait too long. Like DBZ It's starting to suffer from "It invented it, but someone has done it better now" syndrome.

Heroman, well watch a few episodes and see if it sticks, i would compare it to megaman. Heck, there is even an analogous character to Zero.

Hajime no Ippo. Give it a shot if you even remotely like boy anime. It's the best. The best, i tells ya!

Fanservice can be overdone and end up distracting from the content. In limited quantities I think it can really add a lot to. I personally kind of detest it when fanservice is used as comedy (unless it's balanced out or done with restraint or alternatively just really good fanservice), but I really do gravitate toward shows where I find the characters attractive (and before anyone says anything, no, that is not why I'm into FiM...), so a little fanservice seems natural to me.

I can sometimes see endings before they happen. It doesn't bother me too much if I enjoy watching the characters.

If I was going to suggest something, again I'd bring up Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It's only 12 episodes long, but it's enthralling from start to finish. I can think of no anime I enjoy watching more in the 13 or so years I've been watching the stuff, and this is something that only just came out earlier this year. Currently airing anime Steins;Gate is giving me similar feelings, but I hesitate to suggest something that hasn't concluded yet.

I see. I used to like DBZ but I just know it probably hasn't held up all that well.

I might look at Heroman at some point then. I actually hadn't heard much about it.

Hajime no Ippo just doesn't really look or sound like my sort of thing and it never really has.

Mmmm, I haven't seen a whole lot of Anime. I liked most of what I watched though.

Wolf's Rain

Ouran High School Host Club

FullMetal Alchemist

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (haven't finished, waiting for the dubs)

Summer Wars (movie)

Soul Eater

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Teen Titans (lol)

Erm...there might be more... :? I can never think of the Anime's I've seen when I want to.

Eden of the East is the most recent one I finished. I wasn't super into it though. But, I watched the movie, which continues the series, and now I am actually intrigued.

Also, does anyone know what this is from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvk0flArz3o

Also lulzy:

Also, just started watching this. It is the greatest show ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO0hwNQKUf8

I just couldn't get into Panty and Stocking even though I wanted to. It looked really nice, and there was a lot about it I did like. The humor was just too crude for my tastes. I gave up on it after like five episodes.

You should give it another chance, chapter six is when it starts getting interesting. I love Kneesocks :P

I'm currently watching Fairy Tail and Naruto, but my favorite anime would be:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Death Note

Code Geass

Elfen Lied

FMA: Brotherhood

I might someday. Thought I'm not sure even great characters will fix me not really connecting with the humor.

I kind of love Fairy Tail. It's kind of derivative shounen, but the characters are just so much fun.

Code Geass is a favorite too, even with it's overblown silliness. And Evangelion is definitely a classic.

Also, does anyone know what this is from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvk0flArz3o

That's from a show from last year called Star Driver.

Will give mainly my favorite list of anime, but i had watch many.

Fate/Stay Night - Masterpiece for me.

Full Metal Alchemist

Code Geass

Saint Seiya

Slayer (Old one series)

Soul Hunter

Fate/Stay Night certainly is a masterpiece. The only time I've ever been compelled to actually download and play through an entire visual novel after watching an anime.

Full Metal Alchemist

Code Geass

Saint Seiya

Slayer (Old one series)

Soul Hunter

Fate/Stay Night certainly is a masterpiece. The only time I've ever been compelled to actually download and play through an entire visual novel after watching an anime.

Same here :P after watching anime i'm just needed to play VN.

I rest my case.

----

I've never been able to call Mayazaki's work 'anime'. If most anime is factory floor assembled cookie cutter junk food, Mayazaki's work is lovely crafted chocolate chip cookies made from scratch.

I just feel it's wrong to dump such high quality in with the rabble. Which is why i never mention it when people are discussing anime and only when movies in general are being discussed.

---

FLCL was great, if anything, it just embraced Gainax's awful narrative skills and put them to good use. It's like a self-parody of their awfulness that's so bad, it's good.

Evangelion is bad. If it didn't have the historical importance it does (it laxed censors all over the place), i would bash it until it stopped moving. Urgh... i have never watched such a blatant waste of time in my life. This is the ONLY anime i warn people away from.

Death note was mentioned more than once... well, i guess if people can like Cupcakes, they can like this too. I'm just not sick enough, i guess.

Now, i'm going to go watch the stuff phil suggested.

Well, I put Myazaki on my list because it is, still, technically "anime", although it deserves its own subgenre called "Near Perfect" Anime. To me, anime is simply any animated work to come from Japan, and it has a special style to it. Less cartoonish, and more, well, anime.

Another one for the list: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. Great series, great book.

Full Metal Alchemist

Code Geass

Saint Seiya

Slayer (Old one series)

Soul Hunter

master....piece??? *tries desperately to fit that thought*.....*fails*

wtf, phil, after completing the VN you should know how ****ty that was as an adaptation, i mean, when a battle narrated via static images, some effects and goddamned TEXT is more exciting than an animated version, you KNOW there is something bad going on.

@Nitrox, do it, the VN is just awesome...

@Bladerock

wtf1: care to explain why you think Eva is bad? is easy to bash at something without proper arguments

wtf2: Death note.......sick???

my top 4(5)

Code Geass

Cowboy Bebop

-tie- FMA:Brotherhood, Madoka

everything from the Nanohaverse (Force is just so BADASS)

I am. Anyone else?

If so, what are your favorite series?

I've seen many anime series and I'd say my personal favorite is Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

My first encounter with anime was in the Eighties, when some Japanese anime shows were imported, edited, and dubbed for American television and were inter-spaced with American cartoons (Yamato, Robotech, Gatchaman). The first anime I saw in its uncut form was Captain Harlock. In the early Nineties I was one of those hard-core anime types, attending anime club meetings, trading videos of our favorite shows, watching anime at the local library.

These days I am not into anime nearly as much and I am usually pretty behind on the latest shows, I also tend to be very selective in what shows I do watch and collect. If I had to think of two generally current animes I am into I would say it is Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex/2nd GIG, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, FLCL, Paranoia Agent, and Samurai Champloo (alas every one of these have run their full course and are not "current").

Full Metal Alchemist

Code Geass

Saint Seiya

Slayer (Old one series)

Soul Hunter

master....piece??? *tries desperately to fit that thought*.....*fails*

wtf, phil, after completing the VN you should know how ****ty that was as an adaptation, i mean, when a battle narrated via static images, some effects and goddamned TEXT is more exciting than an animated version, you KNOW there is something bad going on.

@Nitrox, do it, the VN is just awesome...

@Bladerock

wtf1: care to explain why you think Eva is bad? is easy to bash at something without proper arguments

wtf2: Death note.......sick???

my top 4(5)

Code Geass

Cowboy Bebop

-tie- FMA:Brotherhood, Madoka

everything from the Nanohaverse (Force is just so BADASS)

I'm think my english failed :P i completed VN.