My Little Pony and the Four Temperments

Hey Canterlot.

Looking back to the Discord episode, he turned Cady and Twi into wizards, with Discord being Slytherin, Twi being Gryffindor and Cady being Ravenclaw...

So... Considering how that is completely and totally wrong... What temperaments WOULD the ponies from My Little Pony fall under?

For a refresher... [Taken from TVTropes.org]

• Phlegmatic (phlegm): Introverted and people-oriented. Sometimes referred to as "the sweethearts" of the personalities. The dreams and passions of this temperament are mainly the spread of kindness, forgiveness, and restoration of peace and harmony. Generally calm, rational,quiet, and reliable; but also docile, timid, and / or lazy, and frequently hides all emotions (other than sympathy). Tends to be dependent on others, either by choice or because of insecurity, they are also prone to Sloth. This temperament is a people person but sometimes expresses these traits in an awkward fashion. Tendency to perhaps brood temporarily, but then "forgive and forget"; tendency to blame self and are prone to awkwardness, indecisiveness but still remain focused. Can often be Weak, but Skilled, The Heart, Wide-Eyed Idealist, or a more relaxed version of The Smart Guy and, if female, may be an Emotionless Girl, Yamato Nadeshiko, Team Mom, or more submissive Proper Lady.
    • Expressive low, responsive low; response's delay long, duration short.
    • The Support and Steadiness of DISC.
    • Corresponds to the season of winter and the (cool and moist) water element. (However, water also corresponds to melancholic characters that have control over ice.)
    • In a person's life, it corresponds to older adulthood (roughly ages 65 and up).
    • Will often correspond with the Apathetic or the Conflicted when in a Four Philosophy Ensemble.

To further simplify this...

Gryffindor (sanguine), Slytherin (choleric), Ravenclaw (melancholic), Hufflepuff (phlegmatic).

There is a fifth, but let's just try and keep it to the four, but for fun, I'll include it here in this spoiler...

• Leukine (white plasm): Ambiverted and dually-oriented. The "central" temperament that was created for those who didn't have one of the four clearly-established temperaments. This type of character can generally be described as middle-of-the-road and neutral. Tends toward either true apathy or rotating among nearly all the world's emotions (nothing too explosive or extreme) at a smooth, gradual rate. In a positive light, having more than one temperament or balanced among temperaments; but in a negative light, a non-temperament, The Generic Guy, and aStandardized Leader. Usually reserved for protagonists, The Hero or other leaders when they are neither Hot-Blooded nor emotionless characters, and somewhat more independent but not as introverted.
    • Expressive moderate, responsive moderate; response's delay variable, duration variable.
    • Will often correspond with the Conflicted or the Apathetic when in a Four Philosophy Ensemble.

So far I figure

Twilight - Melancholic [Ravenclaw]

Dash - Sanguine or Choleric [Gryffandor or Slytherin]

AJ - Sanguine [Gryffandor]

Fluttershy - Phlegmatic [Hufflepuff]

Rarity - Sanguine or Choleric [Gryffandor or Slytherin]

And that's all I got so far. Have at it people.

By those definitions, I'd make these classifications:

Sanguine: Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Discord, Shining Armor

Choleric: Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Apple Bloom, Diamond Tiara, Gilda

Melancholic: Twilight Sparkle, Luna, Silver Spoon, Chrysalis, Trixie

Phlegmatic: Fluttershy, Celestia, Cadance, Zecora

Kinda tricking there were some that could go any number of ways

I find it interesting that TV Tropes calls Spike the most well-balanced of the group.

Keep in mind that that is edited by the community. Someone wrote that and no one took it down.

We all know that is not true. I'm actually not sure where spike would fall. A lot of characters can fit into multiple. It's more of a matter of which suits them best

That said, I do agree on the majority of them though

Right; none of them seem "the most well-balanced". I wonder if someone initially wrote Spike as leukine as a way of saying he was generic, and someone else changed it to be more positive. I noticed some tropers seem extremely protective toward Spike for being the most major of the male characters.

Archived