Imagination

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: AppleCore

Sex: Male

Species: Earth Pony

Eye colour: Hazel

Coat: Cream

Mane/Tail: Red

Facial Hair: Red, sporting a nice rugged beard and mustache combination!

Physique: Still strong! But age is gettin' to ol' Core

Residence: Apploosa

Cutie Mark: Apple being chipped away to the center by a pickaxe

History: AppleCore was born to a hard working mining family way out in the frontier. His mother a stay-at-home wife and his father an old fashioned coal miner, working by royal decree to help keep the under-construction railways a-chuggin'. As such, Core learned the value of good, down-and-dirty hard work. From a young age he had gotten familiar with mines, minerals, the ins and outs of the trade, as well as getting quite the prospector's personality on him. When the only ponies you spend your time with are miners, they tend to influence you.

He was never allowed in the mine itself, but he was allowed to push about the ore carts, bring meals to the miners, and at the end of the day going home to his mother with a smile on his face.

It wasn't long before he got a real liking to the trade, and found it to be his very destiny. One day while taking his lunch he was happily eating an apple sent from his kind distant cousins in Equestria proper. Startled by the caw of a hawk high above, he dropped his apple and watched it roll into the dark shaft of the coal mine! He wasn't allowed in there! But golly was his gut grumblin'. Making sure the coast was clear, he went ahead and wandered in. He followed the lit lanterns, looking for his apple so he could nab it up and scatter on outta there! He found it after a short gander along the wall... Along with a little sparkle. His heart skipped a beat. No way the miners missed something! But there was a fire in his heart... He had to satisfy his own curiosity. Quickly looking around, he found a broken pickaxe and started chipping away at the spot. What he did manage to chip away, he gathered up and quickly brought outside. He don't recall what happened to that apple.

He run his findings under watch, sifting it all. His heart was aflutter, hoping to see something. Anything! After awhile, he saw that sparkle again. Quickly, he snatched it up and held it in the light. He couldn't quite tell what it was, until his father, covered in dust and grit, came out of the mine to see what his boy was up to. AppleCore thought for sure his father was going to tan his hide for going into the mine... But instead, he took a look at what his son found: a nugget of gold! No bigger than an apple seed! Core's father couldn't have been more proud, his son having taken his own initiative to get his hooves dirty, and learning the value of hard work! Along with this valuable lesson came his cutie mark! Forever reminding him of the delicious apple that could've been... I mean- Reminding him of the merits of honest labor!

Since then, he was allowed to get a bit deeper into the trade. He learned all the ins and outs of prospecting, setting up and constructing a mine, and how to best make a profit off his findings! As he grew older, he grew a bit more independent, and when the time came for his father to retire he was ready to take up the reins. While he knew plenty of success, he had his fair share of failures too. Over the years, he was molded with the grit, rock and dirt. He grew rough around the edges, but a good heart and good morals. Got himself married out west and had a couple of foals himself! While both have moved on he gets letters from time to time. While he might not approve of some of the easy living he reads about, he knows that they're happy and finding success in their own way. Deep down, it makes him proud. Now that he's old, he isn't banging the stones as much as he'd like to, but that don't mean he gone soft!

He still lives out of the frontier, though nowadays he just does some oddjobs around the town and jaws at the locals and visitors around. He's got plenty of stories and opinions to share, so long as they can get past his personality and old-fashioned thinking.

He still thinks about that apple. Oh, and he still has the nugget from his youngin' days, tucked away in his cabin as a memento.

Character Summary:

He's a crusty old prospector who appreciates hard work above all else. He doesn't care for modern technology, and he doesn't like the hustle and bustle of city life either. The wide open frontier suits him just fine. He still has that old timer slang rolling off the old tongue, making him difficult to understand at times, but this seems to add to his allure when telling tales, or just plain telling folks what he thinks about things. Core keeps his distance from family, not because he doesn't care for them, but because he's not one for the big family reunions and such. A few strangers here and there do him just fine. If the Apple family wants to keep in touch, they know where to find him. But the lack of contact with the outside world hasn't helped him adapt to the new age much. Heck, he's probably behind on some of the current events!

He don't like sitting around, but doing work like he used to makes his bones ache, and his wife will give him a wallop if he keeps trying to ruin himself. He'll just have to live with it, and pass on what knowledge he has to those who'll take the time to listen to an old stallion ramble.

Journal Sample:

"I been sitting in the yard when this citycolt gone gigglypranced himself to my doorstep this afternoon, saying he got him some tonics what for the carrot curse! Ain't no folk been getting sick up in these parts, cuz we're simple folks! This here toad in the puddle had him a silver tongue he did, but I wasn't having none of his gallavanting on my property! He went a jawing on about how science is the future! Now, I'm all for making pony kind all the better, but you gotta be fuller than a tick on cider to think them crackpot science princes gonna solve problems till sugarcane spring from the mud! Used to be a time when my pappy told me alls a pony needed to rely on was hisself and they'd get by right as fresh rain cuz they KNEW they could!

Now it wouldn't be proper of me to write down what he done said after that, but I told him to hush up and skidaddle before I sicked the hound on him! He took off, but if I know them cityfolk they'll come swarming back, like varmints! Best set some traps, hehehe.

Anyways, slow day in the mines today, but we got ourselves a new tunnel dug out. Need to get them tool nippers in there soon what with two of my best diggers off helping at the ranch. The missus will skin me but good if I don't take a break from this here mine, but we're close to something! I can smell it!"

Archived