Connected (Sign up and OOC!)

A world where the subconcious and the minds of all Equestria's dreaming citizens come together and congregate in harmony. A realm visited only when the mind is left free to wander and explore the realm between the living world and the afterlife. A world where untold adventure could be had and dreams shared with friends and newcomers a like. A realm of peace, serenity, beauty.. And hidden danger.

This is FREEDOM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello once again everypony! After gauging some interest and working out the actual details of the rp at hand I've returned with a revamped version of my "Connected" thread.

First off, let's get those aforementioned details out of the way. What is this rp about? Well simply put this rp shall primarily center around a plane of existence entirely separate from Equestria and even the mortal realm, but one that is accessible through dreaming, specifically lucid dreaming. This dream world, known as Freedom, acts as a connecting hub for all dreamers of Equestria; pony, griffon or otherwise.

Lets take a closer look at this dream realm:

THE WORLD:

There are three definite features that Freedom has ; first, the world itself seems to have no end, and is an ever spanning sky. A bright orb of light shines over this realm as clouds circle about it, yet no matter how far one travels the clouds, nor the "Sun" get any closer. Everything is seemingly suspended in air, all dream worlds are like islands hanging in the air. The "islands" are the current dream a dreamer is having and is unique to that one individual

The second feature are its connecting "walkways" that intersect dreamworlds to one another. These are great stretches of pure white stone that can wind about each other and shift position as other dreams are created. When a walkway, known in this world simply as Bridges, shifts its position to accommodate for new ones to be created there is no force of movement felt to those walking along it; if someone is walking along the Bridge as it changes, they simply would see things change perspective. If one were to fall from a Bridge they are harmlessly lifted back up to the point that they fell, unless of course they have the ability to fly, in which case they would be allowed to fly from the bridge.

The third most defining feature are the Nexi where the bridges connect. Nexi are enormous floating cities that are as pure white and shining as the bridges leading to them. Nexi are unique in that they connect the dreams of all citizens of a world, but for each world there is one Nexus.

THE "CHIME" (The natural citizens of Freedom):

The Nexi house both the dreamers that find their way to it, and the natural citizens of Freedom, the Chime. The Chime are infinitely unique creatures that take the form of the most prevalent kind of dreamer from the Nexus's host world.

The Chime seem very much alike their respective world's dreamers, except for one key feature; their eyes are always pure, glowing white no matter what form they take. Chimes themselves have no actual form unique to them, save for the above mentioned eyes.

While the Chime are for all intents and purposes one collective being split into several forms, there is a 'leader' of the Nexus. While this leader doesn't really govern the Chime, they are the ones that welcome new dreamers to the world of Freedom and educate the new arrivals on the realm itself. This leader Chime, which is known as “the Hymn”, takes on many forms but like its brethren it shall always take a form similar to those of the visiting dreamers. In this case, the Hymn takes the form of a pure white alicorn whose mane and tail shine with a luminous glow, and its wings are somewhat translucent, with small sparkling stars trailing their every movement.

THE DREAMERS (You!):

When someone awakens in their dream world as a lucid dreamer, they are of course able to tell they are asleep and are currently in a dream. However, to a new lucid dreamer, they would also notice another sensation that draws them to the edge of their Island. Normally (at least most of the time), a dream world of a non-lucid dreamer (known as "the Blissful" to the Chime) would just seemingly continue on without ending, but to the lucid (or "the Aware" as they are called) there is a clear 'end' to their island. A wall of light would cut off part of their imagined world, and upon stepping through it the realm of Freedom would be seen to them, and the Bridges that connect to the Nexus would be visible.

However, there are rare occasions where "The Blissful" have passed through their Island's wall and journeyed across Freedom in a strange state of Dream-Walking; these rare types of Blissful are known as "Wanderers". While they do break past their dream world, they still see Freedom and the Nexus they travel to as one would see a dream that they are not aware they are having. They still act as if they are non-lucid and see the realm around them accordingly; believing it to just be their world's 'reality', and any attempts to convince them otherwise by the Aware are fruitless. Wanderers simply do what they are named for; wander.

As an Aware dreamer travels through Freedom it is entirely possible for them to enter dreams of others on their own accord. Though this is often unwise since it can be hard to tell whose dream (Island) is whose when so many exist upon winding pathways. It can be very easy to wander into the completely wrong dream, though thankfully it is just as easy to find one's way out as well. However, there is an easier way to find the dream an Aware could be looking for, and that is by asking the Chime. The Chime are extremely familiar with the population of their Nexus's host world, some even take on the form of certain citizens. Ask a Chime where a specific pony's dream is located and they will guide you to the correct Bridge to it, should you wish to visit that dream.

The dreamers of Freedom are also granted much more power within this strange realm. While there is no true danger in the realm itself, sometimes entering into a Blissful's dream can put one in a situation where they may need to defend themselves. This is because entering a dream of someone that is non-lucid causes the visitor to abide by the dream's 'rules'; they essentially enter the dreamer's mind and become part of their 'reality'. Within Freedom, however, no one can be harmed but any Aware visitor that is destroyed within a Blissful's dream is abruptly awoken and flung from Freedom. To prevent this, Aware dreamers are granted greater physical strength then they would normally have in real life, as well as the ability to conjure any kind of 'weapon' that they are able to imagine. The weapon in question is equal in strength to any other Aware's chosen weapon, but each one can be given a form that is unique to that Aware dreamer alone. While the power of said weapon is always equal, the form it takes is entirely up to the dreamer's imagination and their ability to manifest it. However, to summon a dreamer's weapon requires both concentration and a complete image of the object, so in situations where one would need quick access to their chosen weapon a complicated design could prevent them from concentrating long enough, and so simpler designs are often favored; swords, spears, shields, bows and arrows, etc.

If an Aware already uses weapons in real life, like being a soldier or a mercenary, they will almost always favor re-creating the same ones within Freedom. However, an Aware wishing to use bare hooves to defend themselves is also possible and will still be equal in strength to other conjured weaponry. Magic users are also able to use any spells they know in the real world within Freedom as well.

To put it simply, the power of an Aware dreamer is more or less equal to other Aware, but their methods of defending themselves against threats are entirely up to their imagination, and some methods may prove more effective in certain situations then others.

THE CONFLICT (When the B*CK do we get to smash something!?):

Within this tale of Freedom and its dreamers there is an underlying threat, one that exists outside the knowledge of even the Chime. This unseen menace wishes to take control of this heavenly realm and use its connection to Equestria's dreamers as a method to control them, and turn them against their rulers and friends. Who or what is this unknown evil, what is its motive, and where did it come from? These are all questions that will be answered in time, but know that this force of evil shall twist the minds of everypony within Equestria if it is left unchecked and so it shall fall to a select few to travel the unknown and unseen depths below Freedom and challenge this malevolent soul where it hides.

OOC:

So there you go! If there are any outlying issues or questions that anypony has please feel free to ask them here. For now, this thread will serve as a sign up thread and later shall become the OOC channel for the selected rp'ers!

Now then, what are we looking for and who are you allowed to play? Anypony really, minus the Princesses (And any of the main villains) for obvious reasons. While the Sisters will certainly have a part to play, specifically Luna as safeguarding the realm of dreams is part of her royal duties, they are to be excluded from the overall adventure that will take place (Because Alicorn Princesses OP. Plz nerf, riot).

WITH THAT SAID! Anypony else is up for grabs; mane six, background, OC and otherwise. If you want to play Twilight or Rainbow Dash then go right ahead, so long as you are able to play them effectively I have no issue.

I personally shall be taking control of my main OC, Razor Wind, for this thread and so any other OC's that wish to join are more then welcome.

RACES ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE THREE PONY RACES. GRIFFONS, CHANGELINGS, AND ANY OTHER CANON RACE THAT DWELLS WITHIN EQUESTRIA IS PERMITTED. (So long as they are able to dream and visit Freedom, that is.)

While the number of participants I'll be looking for is mostly unknown, I'm thinking about 4 or 5 members of the party shall be good. So if you're interested feel free to sign up, and once again if you have questions then please ask them here (I know some of the above information may be a bit confusing, even for me, so don't be afraid to ask for clarification.)

ONE MOOOOORE THING!

While I do wish to make this a fun and epic adventure I am very busy IRL, so don't expect this to go super fast and be at the climax within a week. This thread will TAKE TIME to get going because of my work schedule, and I'd appreciate it if everypony took their time to post and exorcized patience with my absences. If I -ever- have to dissapear for an enlongated period of time I will let you all know! (Though this is very unlikely to happen.)

Here is the sign up format for this thread:

Name:

Race: (Any of the sentient Equestrian races are allowed (yes, even changelings) )

Appearance (Be as detailed as possible!):

Age: (Certain races may have differing age-ranges, so keep it to a simple descriptive word like: Child, Adolescent, Young Adult, Full Adult, Venerable)

Dream World: (Give as vivid a description as you can of the 'Island' your dreamer will awaken on. This can be made to personify a character's deepest desires, greatest accomplishments, wildest fantasies, etc.)

Fears: (This will come into affect later, but please list your character's greatest fears, phobias, or worries. As long as it can cause stress and panic then it is allowable (but keep it sensible, please. :P) )

Have they been lucid (Aware) before?: (This is a Yes or No question. Is your character already aware of this realm of Freedom and have they explored it before? Or will this be their first time visiting this new world?)

Weapon: (Your character's chosen Dream Weapon. While they will not have it at first this will come into play eventually; go ahead and list it now. Feel free to bounce ideas off of me as well!)

Personality: (What is your character like? :D)

History (Optional): (Feel free to post your history here if you'd like, but this is not required.)

Name: Silverbolt

Race: Pegasus

Appearance:

51d319a3-9f1e-449f-8171-b53a865ff344_zpsd4bbbae3.jpg

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx334/Sian_Robinson/SilverboltMaidbyKryptchild_zpscd3c5d0b.png

Dream World: An endless horizon of clouds and trees. In the center is a great floating city, not unlike the Cloudsdale he calls home. Interspersed in this dream world are storms of every description that he has flown through in the waking world. It is also filled with packages as he is a courier in the waking world.

Fears: Failure and letting ponies down, also is afraid of losing the ability to fly through an injury or other means

Have they been lucid (Aware) before?: No

Weapon: The Storm Sword, a sword with all the fury of a storm locked inside it. Standard blows come with the feeling of being hit with a rather large hailstone on top of the static discharge. Against ranged foes, bolts of pure lightning erupt from the tip of the blade which can behave like a Tesla coil provided the additional targets are close enough together to cause the chain lightning effect to work.

Personality:

History (Optional): Also included in his WoE character app.

Name: Pyro Blaze

Race: Unicorn

Appearance: White coat, red and orange mane and tail styled to look like fire. Red eyes. Red and orange fireball for a cutie mark. (See avi for pic reference. Pony on the left.)

Dream World: A vast expanse of flames in every direction, and he is in the center of Ponyville, where he lives. Everything is made of flames though, flames that don't burn him or go out. The world is filled with suits of guard armor walking around on their own.

Fears: Failing to protect other ponies and that he will lose control, causing his fire magic will hurt somepony that doesn't deserve it

Have they been lucid (Aware) before: No

Weapon: Ignis, longsword that he can set ablaze, and adjust the temperature of, by pouring his fire magic into it

Personality: Fiercly protective of his friends and family, but will protect any ally or innocent pony that needs his help. He is generally nice to others, but it doesn't take much for him to become angry sometimes.

I'm gonna be using my CC character for this, so appearance, personality and history are discussed on the application here: http://www.canterlot...6990-naj-ready/

Name: Naj

Species: Changeling

This is her first instance of being aware.

Dream world: The ruins of an old fortress made up of a series of twisted spires connected by a series of catwalks. The area is shrouded in a grey fog. The fortress is being slowly torn apart by vines growing out of the ground, fragmenting the structure but adding sporadic bits of colour where they intermittently flower.

Fears: Being discovered, leadership and the responsibilities thereof, guilt over those lost while she took charge

Weapon: Provident Fragment, a large crystalline halberd with a jagged blade that is capable of spawning very short lived growths of rock with impacts, usable either to add extra force to blows or instant but very brief barriers.

This is just my initial formulation mind, I'll willing to try to modify things if that'll help. Right now, I'm specifically thinking I could rewrite her to have recently awakened (rather then this being her first time lucid), as otherwise so far every character is new to it.

Also I had no idea what to do for the weapon, so I just cobbled something together. Any sense of what the dream weapons are supposed to do either in terms function or general power level?

Pyroblaze is accepted! And welcome back Ravenger.

To make a pitiful attempt at summing up my thoughts on the weapons: Their effects and powers must make sense in some way for the wielder to use it. For example, Silverbolt is able to use the Storm Sword to zap foes because of his familiarty and experience with storms and electricity. Same for Pyroblaze and his sword Ignis. Razor Wind will be using a Greatsword that has no visible effects like lightning or fire, but is completely weightless and easy to wield despite its size, due to Raz's real life experience with such a weapon.

So for Naj having a weapon that in some way corresponds with her character is essential! It's form only matters if she is a case like Razor; being the most familiar with a certain form of weapon due to real life use.

The weapon in question doesn't even need to be a form of a weapon, it could be nothing at all or something that is connected to the user's knowledge and experience. For instance, a fashionista like Rarity could create a pair of large needles that act like daggers, use a strand of cloth like a whip, or some other form that could be connected to her expertise.

What knowledge the weapon will be connected to and how it is used is pretty much up to the user's imagination.

The most important thing to remember is this:

The weapon MUST in some way be connected to the user's knowledge and experience in the real world, either in form or function.

In terms of a weapon's power they are all mostly equal in striking power. The difference comes in its use asecondary effects, if it has any. Razor may be a terror with his Greatsword but Pyro's sword Ignis could make up for its non-weightless state by doing greater damage with each attack due to its fires, and Silver's Storm Sword could make up for the same disadvantage by electrocuting and stunning its targets, preventing them from reacting.

Essentially: An Aware's weapon will always be very powerful, and even if it doesn't have an innate secondary effect it will have some other method of giving its user power. (A simple bow and arrow could have arrows that never miss the target provided the character has experience.)

If a user has no real idea of what to make, then any simple weapon will still be effective, however the imagination of the user is the weapon's true power.

Apologies, this was something I didn't fully work out. I hope this helps a bit at least; more hashing out may be needed for the future.

Edit: also, she can be a first time Aware as well. It doesnr matter that much but its really just an option that is there in case someone wanted to already know the realm. The entire party could be clueless and it would still work out fine.

Alright so I was on the right track, the weapon was based on Naj's personality and tendencies, I just needed to tie it to her fighting style better. She's trained in unarmed combat so, pass number 2:

Weapon: Provident Fragments, a pair of crystalline arm guards which can create short lived crystal formations on impact. The crystals can be used to enhance melee attacks, adding extra force at the point of impact, they can be kicked or thrown as a sort of crude projectile, or they can be used to create temporary and volatile barriers.

I think the other version would have worked, but this seems like a somewhat refined version of the concept.

That's the last change I'll want to make, unless you spot something else.

Looks good to me! *stamps Naj with the Accepted seal*

Also, to Silver and Pyro, if you both wanted to make alterations to your weapons now that the actual full formula is out there then feel free. This was kinda my bad. Sorry!

Also I feel its worth mentioning that the sticky hooves theory is allowed here.

It's a theory about how non unicorns can wield weapons and carry objects. We have hooves that supposedly stick to the object in question to hold it. Think like those silly suction cups and you've got it for the most part.

Will do Kirby! Was kinda hoping you'd hop in sooner or later. But alright, one spot reserved!

Hopefully we can get started soon, and have ourselves a dreamscape adventure filled with action, suspense, epicness!... and maybe even a dance off. Maybe.

Name: Tinker Tailor

Race: Earth Pony

Appearance: Shorter than average, making him look much younger than he actually is. He never hit that growth spurt as he got older. He calls it being 'fun sized'. A periwinkle coat (#CCCCFF) and deep pink mane (#FF1493), cut short in the back, almost buzzed, with the front a curled and wild, overgrown mess. The tail is cut short as well, curled at the end. On especially humid days, he looks like a poodle. Purple eyes (Eminence to be exact. Sorry, I was an art student. #6C3082) with reading glasses literally rose colored, as he could not resist the pun. When working, he'll be wearing an apron stained with Celestia knows what. When out and about, he wears a white collar and bow tie, stripped with his hair and eye colors. His Cutie Mark is a silver wind-up key.

Dream World: A beyond exaggerated toy shop, full of bright colors and playful music. Houses are made of Lego, streets are made of board game spaces. There's a police force of action figures and a stuffed teddy bear mayor. It's constantly being built and rebuilt. Toys may or may not be giant. It's one giant romp through childhood memories with only one consistency: the giant Ferris Wheel in the center of town, always on and can probably be seen from other Dream Worlds.

Fears: The wanton destruction he had as a child left unchecked. A wild and uncontrollable temper, tearing down his dream world, literal and figurative. He sees a burning world devoid of color. Broken, rusted, dusty and gray. 'Every game has rules', he would say in response to such a nightmare.

Have they been lucid (Aware) before?: As often as possible. He gets his best ideas from this place.

Weapon: This one I would love to have as open as possible for one reason: the toy box. In a dream world such as this, his boundless creativity could yield anything from a harmless annoyance like marbles scattered across the floor to... say... a gamebreaker like "100 wooden soldiers at six feet tall, instead of 600 soldiers at one foot tall" or a "Walther P-38 pistol" (i.e. Megatron). If this is too crazy for the story, I am more than happy to take up 'Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Yo-Yo'. It would be weighted and pack a wallop with a string unbreakable and as long as it needs to be. Anti-aircraft Yo-Yo. It still tangles though. Don't you just hate that?

Personality: Soft spoken, polite and one heck of a chatterbox. He will often say words just because they sound funny. He's also a bragger, completely aware of how clever he is from years of study and likes to toot his own kazoo. A perpetual optimist and problem solver, he sees his Cutie Mark as that spark of ingenuity, the enthusiasm and critical thinking properly placed that can undo even the most elaborate trials and tribulations. His curiosity does get him into trouble, often sticking his nose into boxes that may or may not belong to Pandora. He is neither cruel nor cowardly but definitely childish, giving an enemy a "neener neener neener" before helping them up and giving them a sportsmanlike second try. He also does not understand sarcasm and absolutely would not could not should not under any circumstance stand cheaters.

History (IMO not optional. It's the brick and mortar for everything else to come!):

Tinker Tailor was born with a vivid imagination and beautiful curiosity about the inner workings of the modern world. That's good. He was also born with poor impulse control. That's bad. His delight of a random thing's insides would cause him to cause random acts of destruction on alarm clocks and the like just to see the guts inside, be they cogs or fluff or a simple wheel-axle assembly. This behavior would unfortunately bleed into the young colt's social life, leaving the toys of a few friends dead on the playground. He was quick to realize his heel realization though, rushing to salvage both the wind-up pony figure and his friendship. His compulsion to deconstruct became a new found love to innovate. Good as new! And a cutie mark to boot! As he grew to a fine young stallion, he became the local Mr. Fixit, able to repair anything from faulty plumbing to engine blocks to grandfather clocks. It was a challenge at first but became a bore very quickly. His real passion was in toy design.

With bits saved up from his maintenance job, he opened up a small workshop and began selling from the back of it, first to only the friends and neighbors he knew from his younger days. There were certainly hiccups along the way, specifically his more dangerous ideas. Like Lawn Darts. What was he thinking? But with time, he stretched his mind more than he had ever been. Suddenly engineering, chemistry, fashion, anything under the sun and moon was being used to fuel his imagination, bringing ideas to life on his work bench. Some of these ideas were even recognized by major manufacturers. What got patents turned a tidy profit, funding his research and expanding his enterprise. Works in progress and prototypes were scattered about his workshop floor, being rigorously tested by the most capable hooves in the toy industry: the neighborhood foals that would wander in to watch him work. Chaos helps him think. Plus, it earned him a reputation as a competent and attentive babysitter, which earns him, as he calls it, “Pizza money”.

Everything looks good to me! And for shenanigans sake I'd be willing to allow the Toy Box so long as its results were kept randomized, since it could potentially send the rp hurtling off the plotrails and into the abyss.

Perhaps the Yo-Yo would be easier? If you think you can pull the Toy Box routine off then I'm perfectly willing to let you have a go at it.

Either way. Accepted!

I think this should do it, just need to get Razor Wind's app up as well. I shall do that before Tuesday I assure you all! (Work hinders the ol' writing skillz)

Here is Razor's CC app!:

Name: Razor Wind (also goes by his nickname, Raz)

Race: Pegasus

Appearance: (Outlined in his CC app!)

Dream World: An expansive, lush and active jungle, littered with bits and pieces of ruined architecture, with a great, pure marble and atone temple at the center of it. The temple itself has an interior that is ever changing and shifting; adding new tricks, traps and, of course, more treasure to be found! (Though the treasure vanishes if ever taken outside the dream world itself. Unfortunate.)

The trees of the jungle are colossal, almost half as tall as the central temple itself. They surround the outer edges of the Island, and obscure view from the outside. The dream world encompasses exploration, danger,.and adventure in a concentrated form. (which of course means all sorts of dangers to be mindful of. Wild animals, ancient mummies, ninjas, bandits, and all other sorts of nasty things.)

Fears: Losing his ability to fight would crush him. Having devoted so many years of his life to perfecting his combat style and exploration skills it would be the end for him should he ever be in a situation where he could never exorcise either ever again.

Have they been lucid (Aware) before?: No, this will be his first visit to Freedom.

Weapon: Greatsword. A huge blade of steel that is identical to the weapon Raz uses in real life. The difference here is that it is completely weightless when he uses it, allowing him to rapidly swing it without effort: delivering very powerful and very fast strikes. As an additional affect, due to his passion for traveling, the weapon can be thrown like a boomerang that will always find its way back to Razor, not matter how far its been thrown.

Personality: Extremely friendly and welcoming; almost always has a smile on his face. He is quite jovial and loves to share tales of his exploits whenever possible. It's nearly impossible to bring this Pegasus's spirits down; he's young, he's a fighter, he loves what he does, and is pretty darn good at it too. The way he sees it, he has nothing to be sad or worried about, so why start now?

History (Optional): (also outlined in his app!)

Aaaand there we go! We have a party of five all ready to begin the dream delving exposition. We should be able to start this within the next day or two! Thanks for the interested everone!

And for.those who may show interest later, keep up with the thread; you never know when more could be taken on!

So, for the final tally we have

Razor Wind

Silverbolt

Pyroblaze

Naj

And Tinker Tailor.

http://tvtropes.org/...ain/FiveManBand

In regards to his load out, I sure as shootin' can pull of the random nature of the toy box. At the same time, perhaps it should be saved for occasions that cannot be helped by a bop on the noggin. A for-emergencies type deal.

Edit: I think, at the moment, I can conceive Tinker with his "weapon" being the toy box itself. The thing most likely to come out of it is his +5 Masterwork Yo-yo, as it's simple and sturdy and reliable and requires almost no thinking. It's the default weapon to fall back on when the item servers are down, to use TF2 as an analog. But when a more serious problem arises and he really has to use his noodle, the box becomes #1. more versatile and #2. more chaotic, which is exactly how his mind works. If he's falling to his death with only his toy box to save him, he'll reach in thinking "I need to fly" and free association will pull out a bubble wand and bottle of soapy water. It's what he wanted conceptually but not helpful in the grand scheme of things. He'll try again, panicking and maybe pull out an airship or pogo stick if he's lucky.

It's a Green Lantern ring almost, wielded by someone far to scatterbrained to use it effectively all the time. Guided by rule of funny, more than anything. Though, chances are, by the time this adventure reaches its climax, these five ponies will be in a giant mech.

The thread is now up everyone! And I must be getting to bed. Just have your characters awaken in their respective worlds, or already be on the path to Nexus, and I'll get the ball really rolling by the time I wake up.

Forgive the lateness of that reply. Big life things got in the way. But I'm more or less stable now. I hope that wasn't... too over the top? Oh, what am I saying. I hope it was VERY over the top. I just hope I didn't step on any continuity during my first post. Also, Naj will not only accept her fate as 'The Chick' but Tinker Tailor will help her pick out a pretty little outfit. Maybe a matching parasol. With a sword in it.

No worries Kirby, and sorry for the lack of Plot Post. Was gonna move the thread yesterday but I got sick as a diamond dog halfway through and had to lie down. I'll get to work ASAP!

Archived