(Ponyville) Searching for Inspiration (Thread Ended)

Lux

"No, No, NO!" Lore Weaver said with a growl as he crumbled up a piece of paper into a ball and tossed it blindly towards the waste basket by his desk, missing it completely and landing on the floor next to several other paper balls. The unicorn set down the quill on the desk and frustratingly got up and walked downstairs.

"Ugh! Why can't I seem to find one good idea about writing a novel! Nothing's working! What am I going to do?"

He looked out the big windows in the front of the bookstore where he watched ponies talking and making their way around town.

"Maybe what I need is something or somepony to jump start my creativity. Yeah, that's the ticket, I'll go search for inspiration."

Leaving the bookstore, but not before flipping the sign over to Closed, he went on a search for something, anything to rekindle his interest and his writing.

Sitting atop the bookstore on the roof, a sly crimson dragon had been waiting for this moment for the better part of 4 hours. Looking down upon the unicorn, and seeing the stallion flip the store sign to closed, a cunning smile emerged upon the face of Huscarl. With the unicorn out of the way, he had the perfect opportunity to somehow fulfil his wish, and 'borrow' some of the books. Albeit, without the owners permission...

Cautiously, he placed one of his large claws in front of him, in order to gain a vantage point and to see the direction in which the unicorn would take. However, he heard a faint cracking sound, and quickly realised that he had not taken into account his rather large frame.

CRASH!!!

In what seemed like an instant, Huscarl was sent spiralling to ground, and unluckily enough, not only the bookstores entrance, but also directly in front of Lore Weaver. "Ugh!", the dragon grunted, as he tried to regain his senses.

The unicorn paused as he looked up and down the street unaware of who or what was behind him. All that was on his mind was where to go next in a place that he was familiar with to gain a new perspective. Suddenly his thoughts were interrupted as he heard a crashing sound behind him. For a moment he thought that something went through the store window like a stray hoofball. But the biggest surprise was when he saw a dragon laying there in front of the building. Seeing the claw marks that ran down the roof made him guess that he was perched on his roof before taking a fall.

"Um... hello there," he said unsure how to address a dragon seeing as the only one else he knew of was Spike, "Are you ok?"

Huscarl placed a claw on his head, it was still ringing from the impact of the fall. As he looked up with a somewhat blurred vision at the Unicorn standing in front of him, he without hesitation shot up from the ground and stood upright, looming over him. The teenage dragon quickly conjured a response.

"I'm ugh... fine! I just um... took a quick fall is all!", Huscarl replied proudly, hoping that his true intentions were intact. However, it quickly dawned on him that his cover had been compromised, and his eyes quickly searched the area for any other ponies that had saw him. Thankfully though, this unicorn was the only one. Once again thinking on the spot, Huscarl quickly asked the question in his deep, raspy voice, "I was just planning to borrow some books, I hope I got here on time...".

High above the sky, and sort of sitting on the horizon from Canterlot-way was a pony. But not just a pony. There appears to be wings sprouting from his back, even though it was nothing more than a simple earth pony who was attempting the bizzare.

Java had earlier finished designing a collapsible glinder, and decided to put it to the test by leaping from the sumit of his canterlot homestead, and free fall down the cliff. And now here he was, hangin from his back while drifting across the world with a gentle breeze guiding him. A small smile had creased over his lips as he looked down to the landscape below. His messy mane now just flapping with the wind. He wore his usual assortment of clothing as always. A simple dark gray waistcoat that remained void of any form of wrinkles or serious damage beyond the normal use. On his head however, was a helmet and a pair of dark tented flight goggles.

In one hoof was a notebook with a magnetic cover that allowed the pony's metal horse shoe to securely hold it in place. He had been scribbling some notes down while giving the wings of his glider an occasional glance to make sure everything remained sound.

“Hmm… flight? A spectacular success~,” chimed Java after putting the book away and quickly banking off to his right to change the direction of his flight. But… that was when he heard a sharp metalic creak, and then suddenly the noise that sounded like a spring breaking. He felt the glider jar suddenly. And then it suddenly becoming unstable. He looked behind himself once more and noticed that one of the metal bearings that he used to hold the cloth in place had broken, and the stress on the cloth had now suddenly caused it to rip with a good portion of it comically sailing off behind him. Each flap and fold it made just felt like a wave of good bye.

“Oh dear… well… this isn’t going to end well. Welp, good thing I took some precautions,” he hummed as he raised his jaws up to bite down a bit, and give it a pull. The cord decended just as planned, but then it snagged, and broke. Nothing happened. Nothing he had expected happen.

“Erm… well. this is a case of bad luck… what was that law called.... oh yes... murhpy's law.” He grumbled as the glider now began to shake much more violently, then hurtled to the ground.

"OH SWEET LUNA ON THE BACK OF A DISPLACER'S HIP," He cried out in shock. When the speed became to much, bits of tears had began to well at the corner of the ponies eyes as he struggled to regain control. The pony's glider had barely managed to hold together on the recovery, and lifted Java just an inch away from impact on the town hall's roof top. The contraption continued to spin out of control as he constantly kept pulling on the glider's rudders, forcing it to pull left and right to avoid tearing through the screaming mass. "OUTOVTHEWAY. OUTOVTHEWAY. OUTOVTHEWAY," With each panicked phrase, his voice grew several octaves before a blood curdling scream emitted from him after nearly slamming face first into the tree. His hoofs quickly raising up to cover his eyes.

He felt another jar as the one good wing had suddenly been torn off by a passing by tree, and thus causing him to now hit the ground hard, and bounce multiple times. Ponies dashed away to avoid the collision till it came to a hault after slamming hard into the wall of the bookstore.

Everything remained quiet for just a minute before the pony raised up. Covered in the cloth that was used to form the device's wings. His goggles were badly cracked and had bits falling from it. The helmet was scuffed but in good shape. His wide eyes were glancing left and right over his body before finally raising up in triumph on both hind hooves. “I’m alive! YES! THis was a failure though… but you can’t get anywhere without failure! Hah aha!”

It was clear that the stallion felt a little afraid looking up as the dragon stood to his full height. He seemed nice enough, and this was something that lore Weaver wanted to keep lest he end up in danger. Still he wondered why a dragon would be hanging around on top of his house and bookstore, unless of course this was some means to try and hid himself, something that didn't quite go as plan.

"Well I'm glad to see you're ok. Actually I was planning on taking a little tour of the town but since you are interested in books, I'll be happy to open the store for you."

Before Lore Weaver could unlock the door, he heard a shouting noise and turned in time to see what looked like a pony in a glider contraption crash, leaving the pilot stunned but in good spirits.

"Are you ok? You look like you took quite a crash there with your glider."

Java looked around rather quickly after hearing a voice. But a good portion of the wing was blocking his view. "What!? Who said that," he spun around once more till the cloth was finally shook loose. His eyes looked around for a moment before finally spotting the other Pony, and a dragon. "Ah! Yes, quite well. Just peachy! Yes! Peachy. This wall here, this wall of a..." He paused for a moment just after begining a sarcastic note. He slowly sauntered around to the front of the building to look up at the sign. "Book store is quite soft!"

The pony then sat down on the ground, shaking his head free from the daze. "But..." he began. The sarcastic tone now being dropped rather quickly, "On a side note, I don't believe I am bleeding from the ears... so I guess I am fine." Java looked up once more to glance to the store behind the others to see if it was open or not. After spotting the sign, he sighed for a moment and got back up. "Where... did that other wing... go...." he thought to himself as he now looked behind himself. His gaze then shifted back to the pony with a bit of worry seeping through his expression, "Wait... am I bleedin from the ears?"

Huscarl looked with a confused expression at Java, it was clear that he had never seen an Earth Pony attempt flight like this before, but then again, he hadn't seen many ponies all together, he couldn't even recall how many years ago he had even spoken to a pony, and the fact that he was even interacting with Lore Weaver surprised himself. "Uh, need any help getting that off?" he asked in a somewhat startled and confused demeanour to the earth pony, pointing a claw at the broken flying machine that was still (barely) attached.

After speaking to Java, he turned his scaly head back to Lore Weaver to add upon his reply. "Oh yes!" Huscarl said, a small smile of glee emerging on his face, showing just a few of his razor sharp teeth. "Reading is actually quite an obsessive hobby of mine, I believe I have over 7,000 books stored back in my cave! Or was it 8,000? I can't remember the last time I made a count of them..." Huscarl added, speaking articulately and with a certain amount of grace for a dragon of his age, as he pondered upon his own statement.

Lore Weaver looked at the pony that descended from the sky. He was a strange one, going from one thought to the next. The earth pony even distracted the purple unicorn momentarily from the fact that there was a big dragon there too.

"No, you aren't bleeding from your ears. I'm glad to see that you are ok. You were trying to glide across town, weren't you?"

Suddenly the dragon snatched the broken remains of the glider off the pony's back. The biggest surprise came when he mentioned that he was quite the avid reader. It wasn't like Lore thought that dragons were uneducated, just that they weren't one to frequent a library or bookstore for that matter.

"You have over 7,000 books in your cave? Wow, that's impressive. I'm lucky to have just 800 in my private collection, and I think last time I actually took the time to check I had about 50,000 in my shop. What kind of books do you like. Oh, and how silly om me, I didn't Introduce myself. I'm Lore Weaver, and this is my store Textual Treasures, but you probably knew that seeing as you were on my roof. So, what are both your names?"

"50,000?!" Huscarl quickly replied upon hearing Lore Weaver talk about his store's collection of books. This shocked the dragon, 50,000 was an incredible number of books to have stored within a shop, this further encouraged him in wanting to investigate Textual Treasures. Huscarl was still somewhat dubious of talking to a pony, but their mutual interest in books enabled him to talk further to Lore Weaver. "Well, I have an interest in almost any book to be honest" The dragon replied, trying to be as frank as possible. "Ancient History and geographical books have to be my favourite though... Oh, and my name is Huscarl". He reluctantly finished, holding a claw out courteously in order to shake.

“Well... I guess I am alright,” Java hummed as he now began to scratch the side of his messy mane after dropping his helmet to the ground. While the other's were chatting, Java had only began to remove the straps that tied the device to his back, and allowed it to fall down to the ground. He wasn't being to gentle with it, especially after it's already damaged well beyond repair at this point. He looked up for a moment after being addressed for his name, and smiled.

“Well... to answer the first question. Ponyvile is where I happened to land, No I came from Canterlot, and decided to see how far a small redesign could go. Had a technical malfunct just as I passed over Ponyvile. The name is JavaSun. And I am an Engineer... I solve practical problems.” He extends a hoof out, as if wanting to shake the others hoof. With the junk off the back of the Stallion, his cutie mark was now easily seen and could be identified as a dark gold Sigma. The mathematical symbol that looks like an "E" and means the summation of.

The wary feeling of speaking with a dragon faded slowly as Lore got onto the topic of his favorite subject and profession: books.

"Well It wasn't easy getting all those books in my shop. I had to do a lot of creative planning before ever opening up the shop, that and basically having bookshelves that reached from the floor to the ceiling."

With that Lore Weaver chuckled, remembering the first time he set his hooves in Ponyville and the time it took to fix up not only his store but his home.

Well, I have an interest in almost any book to be honest" The dragon replied, trying to be as frank as possible. "Ancient History and geographical books have to be my favourite though... Oh, and my name is Huscarl"

"Oh, ancient history. That's one of my favorite subjects, especially the early years of Equestria and the rule of the Royal Sisters."

For a monemt the unicorn stood in surprise as a claw came closer to him. The claw was easily the size of his hoof, meaning that there were more that made up the dragon's hand. Then he realized that he was extending it not to intimidate but to have it shaken. He carefully grasped the claw and gave it a shake with a wary but haooy smile. He then heard the pony named Java tell about how he flew from Canterlot to Ponyville with his device.

"Wow, that is very impressive being able to fly that far with your glider. It must be how a Pegasus pony feels to fly. I often wondered the sensation one would get flying in the air like that. Too bad your glider got destroyed upon landing."

Java smiled, and kicked a hoof in the dirt both from the swelling bride from the praise. And the embarrassment from such a thing, "Well it ain't anything, I tell you. Don't make me blush. But as far as flying. Yes, it feels wonderful. It's... a little bit scary at first, but after the sixth time or so of diving off the ledge next to my home you get used to it. This... would be my..." he paused momentarily to count the number of times he had crashed, "ninth crash and burn. But it's getting better." He'd say using his hoof to pat the side of the destroyed contraption. His thoughts now going back to the many different prototypes that he had lying in storage waiting to be tested. Many of which had the same design, others had something different with them. And of course, with each crash, he made sure to keep excellent notes about the failure, and what needed to be fixed. "Now... I wouldn't be a good engineer or scientist if I only ran one test... or had just one contraption now would I? No, I got plenty waiting back home in Canterlot. This one here, The Pheonix, was designed to be folded up and compacted into a smaller size, extend out, and soar faster. I also gave it a safety feature... that didn't quite work out well..."

Huscarl giggled under his breath at Java, but did see sense in his statement. Also, Huscarl was charmed by the quaintness of both of the ponies. He was impressed with Lore Weaver's interest in books and was amused and curious about Java, despite his repeated failures in testing. Still, Huscarl tried to reel the conversation back to his original plan, and that was to 'borrow' some books. "Say, 'Java' ? How about you bring remnants of 'The Phoenix' into the bookstore with us. Perhaps some Dragon influence on your flying contraption could prevent a tenth crash. Eh?", Huscarl asked, as he hulked over to him and firmly shook his extended hoof with his claw. "Oh yes, and 'Lore Weaver' ?" Huscarl sighed briefly as he said the ponies name, pony names always grated on his nerves, "I'd like to see what variants of books you have, If you hadn't of noticed, I'm quite the connoisseur of good literature".

Lunar Relic pops his head out of a bush "I heard history!" Lunar Relic jumps out of the bush then using his magic grabs a small stone tablet and notebook from the bush "oh and thanks for snapping me back to reality. I was so focused on figuring this out I was in that bush for two days." Lunar Relic the. Puts the two items in a small bag on his back. "When I heard a pony say history it made me want to leap out of the bush" he chuckles

Lore Weaver listened and nodded as he heard Java explain his invention. The purple unicorn could only imagine flying above the town. It sure would give him a new thrill and a different perspective on life. His eyes went wide hearing that the earth pony crashed so much and lived to tell the tale. Lore wondered if he would be strong enough to continue after crashing just a few times. He was equally amazed at the fact that this inventor had several gliders made at his disposal. Well it didn't surprise him that Java wouldn't just bank on one idea.

"Well I'm glad to hear that you are fin and that this wasn't your only glider."

He though it was strange the way that the dragon Huscarl said his name. It wasn't a very hard name to pronounce. Maybe it was just dragons were not used to meeting ponies or saying their names. Lore hesitated though when the dragon asked to go into his store, wondering if that was a good idea. Firstly he was unsure how the store could accommodate a dragon and secondly there was the fact that dragons did breathe fire, and in a place where much was flammable this could prove dangerous. But the unicorn wasn't going to deny a pony or dragon learning something.

"Well you two can certainly come in," he said opening the door and flipping the sign back to open. Before letting them in a pony appeared from the bushes saying he was there for two days!

"Two days? In a bush? Don't you have a home? What was interesting that kept you there?"

Lunar looked at the tablet, I found this tablet on a windy day blowing about. When I found it it was almost illegible. So my curiosity got the best of me and I leaped in the bush. I lost track of time I feel likes it's just been hours" Lunar stretches his back with a yawn before continuing "I own a shop not far from here where I sell old historical items. I am an archeologist by trade so my desire to translate tr tablet lead me to the safety of this here bush Names Lunar Relic but please call me Lunar." Lunar bows politely in greeting.

Archived