Trains in Equestria

BaconofChaos

Alright, quick RP question here. We know that we have pony-pulled trains in Equestria. But how common are these and where do they go? We see the mane cast on a train to Appleoosa which they presumably boarded in Ponyville (though there's been no sign of a train station there), but how widespread would you say that trains are in this world? Do they go to all the major towns and cities, or is the Ponyville-Appleoosa the first of it's kind?

• 2 weeks later...

Trains have been brought up in the griffin thread as well. Its been discussed that maybe it was they who invented the steam engine and Ponies are just trying to copy it. They haven't got the actual engine worked out but they can pull it just fine. At least for smaller trains.

If this is the case then there's probably a train between Rockwington and Talonopolis, plus all the smaller mining camps. In Eastern Equestria though it seems like the only proper station is in Appleloosa. The other stop could be in Ponyville or perhaps somewhere outside of it. We haven't seen an evidence of tracks but it seems unlikely they would carry a tree that far without some kind of assistance.

I get the impression from the speed the pony engeneers travel at, under several hundred tons of load, that the engine is enchanted in part like the snowplow Twilight enchanted in "Winter Wrap-up" and channels much of its energy or momentum to the engeneers, or is otherwise acting to take up the load until the ponies can pull with little or no effort.

This may be a technomagere stopgap until they get over the tradition of horse-drawn trains from before the engine was introduced... (The first trains here on Earth were in fact horse-drawn...)

As for where the mane 6 got on the train at, My guess watching the show was Big Mac may have hauled the tree up to the nearest town with a station by wagon.

I hope some of this makes sense. :ugeek:

I get the impression from the speed the pony engeneers travel at, under several hundred tons of load, that the engine is enchanted in part like the snowplow Twilight enchanted in "Winter Wrap-up" and channels much of its energy or momentum to the engeneers, or is otherwise acting to take up the load until the ponies can pull with little or no effort.

This may be a technomagere stopgap until they get over the tradition of horse-drawn trains from before the engine was introduced... (The first trains here on Earth were in fact horse-drawn...)

That's a good point actually. Must be the same magic that keeps the pegasus chariots and carts floating in midair. Also, imagine pulling a train that heavy and needing to make an emergency stop. That could go badly if the pony working the brakes (I assume there is one) isn't quick enough :!:

So the first Earth trains were horse-drawn too? Can't say I'm surprised. It's the next step up from carriages really.