(Ponyville) Castles and Ponies...... (OPEN)

Ashton

3495bb0b76bdbdde8d6adbcac8d98299-d57cxg0.png

Twilight_Sparkle_logo.png

Twilight opened the door and blinked "what th...? How did I end up *here*?" she looked over the room and out the window at the castle below "I was just in the basement!" she turned and headed back out, this time ending up in the Throne room "UGH!" she exclaimed "SPIKE! SPIKE!" she listened for his response and sighed "he's probably just as lost as I am in this place..." she sat down on her throne "all I wanted was a snack and a book to read in a nice quiet place, and so far I've been all over this castle... I really need to learn how this place works..." she slumped "what a princess I am, not even able to find her way through her castle..." she floated out a dozen pieces of paper "and all my maps are invalid! Even when I thought I'd double-checked them!" she flung them up into the air, letting them settle on the floor "I bet celestia never got lost in HER castle..." she commented to herself, as always looking up to her mentor and wishing she were more like the solar princess...

Out on his usual night time flight, a griffon soared high in the air over the Everfree forest. His large wings easily laid a shadow across the canopy of the trees with the aid of the moon's limelight. Though he wasn't flying straight, but rather banking lazily in the air from side to side. It was almost like a sauntering strut, but only in the air. And everyone and a while, he ended the strafe with a gentle aileron roll as he shifted back to the other side. Though if anything should be noticed as a real curisoity, is the way the griffons tail swayed and wiggled unnaturally, as if being done on purpose by the large creature. And as he got closer to the castle, a soft gentle clattering of small symbols filled the air. Gradually, it grew louder and almost rhythmic. Even small glints of light could be seen from his tail and back.

"Mmmmmm... yes, I am lovin it," Leo cooed into the air softly. The chirping of crikets, and various other sounds of the forest was all music to the Griffons ears. Music that sparked a fire in the griffon's heart. He quickly tilted back and soared up into the air all the while spinning. Once he reached a peak, he let himself stall out, and fall back down to the canopy below. He slowly turned his body around till he was looking at the ground below, the Sax that was strapped to his back was quickly pulled off and held firmly in his hands. His tail continued to twitch violently to rattle the silver zills that had been strapped to his tail. When he felt he was ready, he spread his wings wide, and tilted to the side, letting himself spiral closer to the canopy before making a full recovery to a glide. His toes lightly catching the tree leaves as he soared above them, adding more sounds to the natural orchestra he was hearing. "Oh yes... yeeesss... keep playin that sultry SONG, motha natua, PLAY THAT SONG!"

The reed of the sax was then drawn to his beak, and he began to play. His wings lightly flapping to keep himself adrift while he created this midnight symphony. Beautiful music flowed out from the horn, and mixed with all the mingling sounds of the night. But instead of being distorted, it all just seemed perfectly right. All balanced, and well in place. Surely an embrace to the beauty of the blueish hues, and the bright moon way up yonder. Well, that was till finally a voice was heard. The horn came to an abrupt stop, and the griffon rose higher into the air.

"Aw... whos that yelpin for aid, when music's being played."

With another gentle roll, the horn had been slipped past a wing and tied firmly to his back. His gaze soon trailed off to a nearby castle window where he saw a violet pony looking rather distressed. "Mmm... a damsel in her own castle, I guess this crusty castle just has more soul to it then I thought," Leo sighed as he slowly tilted to the side to turn himself in the air. It took only a few seconds for him to arrive near the window. With the pony being much closer in his view, he was correct to assume it was Princess Twilight in the flesh. "Look out, little filly... this bird needs some room," The griffon chimed. His voice was smooth, and oddly lacked a good amount of aggression or assertion that most griffons had been well known for. In fact, his facial expression was much more lacked, and had it's fierce fire extinguished long ago. A very charismatic griffon, no less.

He quickly straightened up in the air to slow himself down, before finally catching his fore legs onto the window sil, and allowed the rest to just press on the wall as a makeshift perch. Once he was securely in place, he peaked over the sill with a lazy smile. "Why all the hollering, and mopping... mon ami?"

Twilight turned, surprised and smiled "oh, hello" she said with a smile "It's nothing" she laughed a little "I'm just having a lot of trouble finding my way around the castle, it seems like every map I make turns out to be wrong" she explained, not really wanting to tell anypony that she somehow opened a door in the basement and ended up in the tower... it sounded crazy, and Twilight was a little suspicious that she was going nuts with it happening, after all with everything that happened she was still trying to shake off the stress, maybe she had simply imagined the castle rearranging itself... maybe...

The Griffon smiled, and slowly lifted himself up a bit more over the window sill. His arm was then planted down onto the stone ledge like an arm rest, while the other then gestured to the outdoors. He began with a light chuckle that was almost a hum. His smile widening just a bit more after his eyes flicked out to the night sky. “I see your problem, madame. Ya got the midnight-blues. Every solution you make, are leaves in the dawn of autumn. They all fall. But all do respect, you have wings, sweetie, use em.”

The griffon fell back and caught himself in the air by flapping his wings. To help elaborate his point he swooped around the tower several times before coming to a gentle stop, hovering just in front of the window. He twirle momentairly as his voice raised into a brassy tone, his saxaphone was now back in his talons. “Spread those puppies, mon amie, spread em and take to the skies. You are free from the bonds of gravity~! No longer limited to just doors, and stairs! Just feeeeel the breeze in that pretty hair.”

Right now, two thoughts had come to twilight's mind, first that this griffen had apparently crashed a few too many times... and second that he did have a point. If the Doors _were_ to blame, which kinda made sense in a weird magical way (which would fit in with her being the element of magic and this castle being a magical castle itself). "Well I suppose it's worth a try" she said, flying out the window, still a little shakey when taking hard turns and gliding an unequal distance from the walls... and flying into another room. This was working, The rooms were staying put! So maybe it really _was_ the doors that were to blame! ...but why?

"Well" she said, landing adequately but far from perfectly "That solves part of the problem, but there are rooms with no windows, I hope your not suggesting I just blast holes in their walls" she giggled "not to mention if there's a storm - wouldn't want to be flying around during that... and also visitors, all ponies don't have wings..." she paused "so I have a serviceable workaround but no solution..." she put her hoof to her chin in thought "I suppose it *is* a step in the right direction at the least" she commented with a smile, trying to be careful what she said to ensure she didnt offend her guest "Oh, I apologize, I forgot to make introductions" she said "I'm Twilight, though you probably already guessed that" she laughed very awkwardly, thinking back to how her pegasus friend _always_ opened with 'i"m sure you've heard of me!' and wonder just how Dash could be _that_ egotistical... "but I'm afraid I never caught your name" she finished

Leo followed, while blowing a soft tune through his horn. Rather than flying normally, he allowed the breeze to sway his motion, while his tail dangled in the air, rattling the fills that were strapped. He stopped playing when the new destination was met. The horn’s reed was pulled just a few inches away from his beak.

The griffon smiled after seeing that she was pleased with the results, though it did open up another door of discovery. He was already quick to pick up that there was something that the mare was just not telling him. Lazily floating near the window, he slipped the horn back onto his back and made his perch on the window sill once more. “Hmm hmm hmm,” the griffon chuckled to both the small joke and the introduction. “Well, knockin holes here and there is always a solution. But I am afraid a silent song… is just a song not heard,” He said through a smooth raspy tone. After pushing away from the wall, the griffon removed his fedora, and took a bow with his large wings flapping, “and of course I know your name, mon amie. It does me no good not to know an important face. But as for mine? Leonard Wingstrong, mi-lady, though some know me by my performing name, Mr. Saxbird… but I just preferred to be called Leo. Hmmhmm… much shorter.”

After twirling once more, and returning back to his perch, he slipped the hat back on, and rested his beak on his hands. “Now… I am assumin that you’re going to keep the rest of the song private to me. So I’ll take a shot in the dark and ask ya… ready? Have ya tried goin with the flow?:

"Alright then, Leo it is" she smiled "I'm sorry, but I don't get to see many shows, so I hate to say but I'e never heard of you" she said awkwardly, realizing the only performance she'd seen lately (discounting the play in manehattan) was Trixie's performance some time back...

"what exactly do you mean 'go with the flow'?" she asked "Your starting to remind me a little too much of a... friend... who love to always speak in riddles and half-truths, never making perfect sense..." she sighed "and I guess I need more practice at lying... yeah... ok... every time I open a door it leads somewhere it shouldn't... sometimes someplace that's physically impossible, like a door in the basement lead me to the room in the tower..." she shook her head

The griffon wasn't offended at all by the comment. He only offered a shrug. He never bothered to play outside of clubs, nor have his music being recorded by any major production studio. It would only be reasonable if a large amount of ponies did not quite know about him. Though, he did raise a brow after learning that he reminded her of someone. The pause did made this friend sound questionable in nature, but none the less, he'd rather not pry. "You're not terrible at lying, little filly, you just need to learn to make your fibs simply add up," the griffon chuckled before slowly pulling himself up over the ledge, and into the castle walls. And while the concept of a castle where the floor layout always changes did sound weird to the griffon, he had his own fair share of oddities in the past.

"By go with the flow," the griffon began in a smooth jazzy tone. Once again he began the musical chuckle of hmms as he rested a talon on a knob and pushed the door open. "I mean you don't fight it. Let it happen. Like swimming upstream on a roaring river, sweetie. You don't gain much distance going against the flow. Instead... use it. If a river is carrying you to a waterfall, let it carry you, but swim sideways and towards the fall, and you will be to safety in no time."

Twilight laughed "When I 'went with the flow' I was bouncing all over this place... I dont completely understand it, but I dont think the doors always lead where they did before... since your trick of flying around in and out of windows works, it means the castle doesnt change, but the doorways do..." she shook her head "now the question is why do they change and how do I control them?" she paused, thinking, wishing she had spike there to help her, which only made her feel more urgent to solve this because she was sure the little dragon was lost somewhere within the castle as well, just like she was... "I dont suppose you know anything abou wierd doors like these do you, Blues bird?" she smiled playfully, trying to lighten the mood a little with the playful nickname.

The Griffon smiled after being called “Blues bird” and slowly lifted his head up to poke through the doorway. After looking through the room, he'd pull his head back and pull the door shut, only to open it back up once more to find a different room instead of the last. “Mmm... well blues means sad, and I am far from it filly. I am just more leveled headed than most of the feathery fireballs out there,” the Griffon commented after looking around the room once more. He pulled the door shut again, and opened it to find, yet again a different room. He moved a talon up to his beak and lightly raked his claws along the underside in a gentle scratch. His eyes lazily glancing around to each doorway and major difference in the room, looking for anything that was completely unusual, rather than the room it's self.

“Now I can't say I have seen this in particular before, but I had my fair share of weird things, little filly. Mmm... used to date an odd ball. But that's a tale for another day. “ Rather than closing the door, he left it opened and stepped inside. Rather than closing it, he took a moment to pick up a small object, and move it in front of the door to keep it open. “But, I think I'll wager that this only works, if the door actually closes. After all, the windows leave way to scrutiny, and lets the eyes... see what it shouldn't. Or should in this case.”

Twilight considered "Ok, lets assume your right, unless I take down all the doors though, somepony will eventually close one, maybe a visitor, maybe one of my friends, maybe my assistant, or maybe even me... No, while this buys me a little time and sanity, I need to get to the bottom of this and figure out exactly what's going on and how to stop it." she sighed "I wish this castle had come with an instruction manual..." she tried to laugh, but the laugh died in her throat. "Any idea how we can find whatever is causing all of this?" she asked

The griffon smiled, as he simply moved to the next door, and opened it up, once again, moving something else to prop it open. But rather than moving into the next room, he pulled away and open yet another door. After a soft gentle hum, he pulled a nearby pot in front of the door to hold it open, before moving to the next. Care free as ever was this griffon, or did he have an idea. If he really did speak in half truths, then this last statement will be all the more confusing. "You are magic, aren't you sweetie? And if lore is correct, you're good at magic."

The griffon's humming stop as he looked out through the window thoughtfully before finally swooping into one of the next rooms. After grasping hold of two chairs with his talons, the Griffon darted back to Twilight. He dropped both chairs on the ground, one behind twilight, which he promptly pushed forward to have her take a seat. The other one was where he sat. Only he took a much more lazier approach. He sat with his chest against the back of the chair, and both hind legs wrapped around the front legs as a way to hold him still. His arms were draped over the edge of the back support. He cleared this throat, and continued his musing.

"So I expect you know how to break a spell. But sometimes a spell doesn't need a counter spell, like a counter song. It simply needs a loop hole... or glitch." He sounded very knowledgeable. Quite contradictory to his previous statement of, "I can't say I have seen this before". He leaned back only momentarily to bring his talon into his pocket to rifle through his pocket. From it, he produced a smaller version of quite a familiar item. It was a small satchel, but it did have a magic enchantment to it. He pulled a chord and slid his talon inside. He kept pushing down till nearly his entire arm was swallowed, before he pulled back. "And with each spell, it has a single function, yes?"

Leo then turned the bag upside down, it's contents to all drop to the floor in a large pile. It ranged greatly from small snacks, to large stacks of paper. Some with musical notes, and many others blank. Even a pillow tumbled out after a couple of photos had fluttered to the floor. Once the bag was empty, he turned it inside out. Only his manner with holding it was rather odd, it seemed like he was taking great care to being careful with what he was doing. He reached up to his own mane of feathers, and quickly plucked one away from his body. He held it over the inside out bag and continued his lesson.

"And when a spell to do something is used incorrectly, or beyond it's function..." he trailed off, dropping the feather onto the satchel. But rather than simply landing on top, the item suddenly burst into fire, and disappeared from sight. "Unexpected results happen, like tootin a horn." He pinched a safe portion of the bag, and turned his wrist over, allowing the bag to resume it's usual shape and function.

"Now... what happens when you open up all the doors in your castle, mon-ami? If the amount of doors you have is just too odd something unexpected could happen. But if your house's architect was feelin quite even, you may learn some secrets. Go with the flow, mon-ami."

Twilight sighed "Yeah... I might blow up the castle..." she said, looking at the door leading to the hallway. When she did she blinked "Wait... when you opened that door... it lead where it's supposed to" she said "...the spell isn't working for you..." she walked over and closed it, then opened it again, and it lead to... her bedroom... she quickly closed it "try it again, open the door again" she said, backing away, wondering if the doors were responding to her specifically, or if they were *not* responding to the griffen... was it a pony-only spell, or was it because she was magic incarnate that caused the strange reactions...

The griffon blinked and slowly sauntered out of his seat to open a door. His talon rested on one of the nob, before giving it a twist and pushing it open. Once again, the door way lead into another room. But weather or not it was the right room, the Griffon wouldn't know. After all, he had only set foot once in this castle. Once he allowed for ample time for her to see the next room over, he'd pull the door close, and then push it open once more again. This time, he looked back to Twilight, wondering if she had found the answer she was looking for.

Twilight nodded "like I suspected, it's not working for you... which means you can safely open and close any door here... but that still doesn't explain why it works for me or what the pattern is or how to stop it... I can't let this go on forever, this is too dangerous -and maddening- power to left unchecked, even in my own castle...." she sighed "any ideas?"

The griffon smiled as he went back to his old idea of, just open all the doors. "As I said before, mon amie," he chuckled softly as he opened the rest of the doors, and made sure they stayed propped open. He then moved on to the next room with his tail flicking through the air to gesture for her to follow as he just proceeded to open more doors. "You can always try opening up all the doors, and limit the options of the very last. But, if you don't like that idea, sitting and waiting aint much better," He hummed softly. The care free griffon may not be the best when it comes to magic, and he knows this for sure, but wisdom of much younger days had taught him the hard lesson of what it means to just go with the flow.

"Loosen up a bit sweetie, if your castle explodes, you can rebuild it without the magic effect. But, if it doesn't you may find a room that you never knew you had. Heh, funny how it all works."

((you know, it's funny, I never planned something like this happening... though for better or worse, there is still the original solution *Evil grin*))

Twilight sighed, then laughed "Alright, it's worth a shot, but there are some doors you cant open" she said "I'm sorry, but what lies behind them is too dangerous to let you open. I will have to do it, and only when your in a safe place" she sighed, closing her eyes "Things I thought I'd lost, that somehow found their way back to me... dark secrets of my past... sometimes I wonder if this castle is less a castle than an extension of me..." she said, looking around "If these doors can lead to places that don't even exist anymore..." it was questionable whether this was a case of Twilight having seen something she did not want to see, or was worried she *would* see something she didn't want to see...

Archived