Engineering with Arcane Science (Private)

Java Portrait

Time was only a second hand thought to Java as he prepared his home for a guess. But at the same time it was also his greatest asset, as likely for any pony who seemed not to care about how much sleep he's actually gotten, when compared to the amount of work he's done. Even so, having to schedule company to come to his homely adobe ridiculously late night hours, pushing on to the morning may have been ill mannered. But who could blame an earth pony who rarely sleeps? It's quite likely he's forgotten that other ponies and creatures do sleep as well.

The cleaning of his already well cleaned, and nearly dust free home was done, all that was left to do where to find a place to put his odd nick nacks, comics, science fiction books, dice, and other things that a dork or geek would typically have in another location, other than the countless shelves they sat in that already held a large containment of notes, research, and scrolls. If one were to describe his home's main-room with one adjective, it would be unorthodox. Uncanny, would only be a terrible understatement.

The flooring had been finished with a white outdoors marble, that had the mortar carefully sealed for what chaos was soon to come. Tearing through the flooring in the center of the room was what appeared to have been a small pond, where it's main source of water had been coming from a stream of water fed through the side of the house by a screened grate. This stream first treckles down a granite construction of black and white speckled of square blocks, that was surrounded by a large variety of evergreen plants in fertile soil just slightly below the layering of tile. The stream then flows into a moat that runs around the room in a squared spiral pattern before it finally meats the pond. Over the top of this moat was a layer of heavy duty glass to keep ponies, and other items from stepping inside the water.

Bookshelves were scattered around. The ones in the center of the room surrounding the pond had a much sturdier look behind them. Perhaps this was due to the fact that these bookshelves were also part of an elaborate construction of a loft supporting a table and a few large pillows. Connecting to this lofted platform where walkways that ran across the many other bookshelves. A few small shelves hung from the ceiling, and requires one to literally walk across the many other bookshelves.

What wasn't intended to be walking space had became patches of more fertile soil, holding more evergreen shrubbery. In some places of the walls, were modified tubing that had origionally been used as plumbing, became interesting methods of decoration. Painted, and reshaped to become a sconces lighting, that also held smaller plants.

Decorating the walls were a large variety of imagery and prose. Poems that the pony loved were framed and hung on the walls. Paintings and other forms of artwork were also hunged up, non-from any real famous artist, but the pony adored them anyways. Nerdy posters of comic heroes, and some real classics were also among them.

The only sane construction for a home, would be the stairwell leading up to the second floor, and down to the basement level. The doors leading to the kitchen, and outside.

“Oh... do I have time to....” Java mumbled to himself. His eyes slowly flicking across each and everything that had defined his personality to the highest of extremes. There was simply to much for him to put away. And his only storage area is already jammed full with past projects. Java glanced up to the clock and frowned, seeing that his guest would literally be here in only a matter of seconds.

“No... I don't have time for this...” he sighed as he now turned around to face his door. “Besides, it's already a mad house. But it's my mad house, and I made it this way for that reason.” He put his hoof on the door knob, then turned. He gave the door a light pull and sauntered outside to meet his new arrival.

From the outside, his house was normal enough. It was built directly next to a stream of water that became a waterfall in just a few hoof steps. It was located in one of the “lower rent” area's of canterlot, being a little bit more spread out than other districts. In fact, it was actually originally a study, built in a more secluded area of the mountains, yet it was still well within the city limits.

lpvqhS8.jpgProfessor Hoofcourt "Starswirl" Magic

Double checking the address written on a scrap of paper he was carrying, a gray bearded unicorn stallion wearing a beret and cape walked towards the home of Java Sun.

"So this is where that young stallion I met back at the Guild lives," Professor Hoofcourt said. "His directions were quite precise. I do hope he's home."

Professor Hoofcourt was quite a legend at Canterlot University. A student of extraordinary promise back in his colt days, his feats of magic brought him the nickname 'Starswirl,' due to his advanced levels of magic. Wanting to share his love of magic with the world, Hoofcourt studied hard to become an instructor of Magical Arts and later on, a full Professor at Canterlot U. The unicorn retired after many decades of faithful service, his magical legacy passed down to his son Mighty Magic, who with his wife, Abracadabra, perform a traveling magic art that still entertains audiences all over Equestria. Even his granddaughter, Misty Magic, seems to have the family 'gift' of magic, though poor Misty still struggles to control her emence powers. When Professor Magic approached the door of the home, he knocked.

"Hello? Are you there, Master JavaSun?" the elderly unicorn stallion asked.

Java Portrait

Java sat outside of his home, with his head turned up to the sky, observings the stars way above yonder. While at the same time he was waiting for his guest to come down this particular street. Though, looking up at such beautiful scenery that only princess Luna herself rules over just allowed his mind to wonder in amazement. But then suddenly he heard something! Suddenly there was a tapping. As if some pony had been rasping at his homestead's door! With only his hoof, and nothing more! Curiously, the coffee colored pony turned his head away from the sky, to look behind himself back to his proud home. In front of his door he saw a much older stallion dressed quite sharply, and even sporting a fantastic beard! Such a beard left Java feeling quite jealous for his own lack of facial hair. Then again, he was still a young stallion.

When he heard his name being queried, the younger pony quickly rose off of his haunches and spun around. “Ah! Yes! Yes yes, I'm here,” his voice rang out in surprise. Some how this pony older stallion had managed to sneak on past him, and was forced into meeting his door first, before himself! How rude of a host Java had been! His hooves kicked about as he scrambled up to the door way and pushed it open. He quickly stepped out of the way, and gave an inviting wave through the door way with his hoof. “Heh, sorry about that! I hadn't realized you would be coming down a much different route! Oh! And please just call me Java, ser! I don't enjoy formalities as much as other ponies. Not even by noble standards. But please! Make yourself at home, Professor Hoofcourt!”

"Thank you, Java," Professor Hoofcourt said with a nod as he entered the house. "My, you do have a lovely home. I am so glad to have accepted your invitation to come."

The elderly unicorn decided to take Java up on his offer to 'make himself at home' by levitating his beret and cape from his body and hanging each garment on a nearby wooden coat rack.

"I was very impressed with you during our first meeting, Java," the Professor said as he found a place on a sofa and sat down. "You show much determination and drive, sort of like I was at your age. Now tell me, Java, is there anything I can do for you?"

Java smiled to the compliment and sauntered up a flight of stairs onto the lofted platform in the center of the room. His eyes scurried over the table as his hooves shifted around a few pages to find his notes. Once he found the pages he needed, he tipped his head down to bite on the corner and lift it up. He then sauntered across one of the many walkways that turned the upper areas of the mainroom into a complete maze.

“Well thank you sir! I have a bit of pride in my living space. It's my own... so I made it represent who I was... all done by my own hooves of course. And for the determination and drive? Ah, well the drive is simply a byproduct the thought of efficiency my good sir! I don't sleep for days at a time because there is just simply not enough time in the day to get what I need done. But there is always time in the night, where everything becomes much quieter of course. But I am nothing quite yet! I am only a graduate student working towards his masters.”

He continued to trot along the walkways, looking through the higher assortment of bookshelves that had been attached and built into the ceiling. Once he found his journal, he collected that into his jaws as well. Once he had everything he needed, he reared back and hopped over the safety railing, and landed down below on his hooves.

“And... I have several projects I would like to do. But frankly my... magnum opus persay requires a bit different ingenuity for it to work within my expectations. So I decided to mix arcane science with engineering practicums.” He then sighed as he dropped the note book and paper onto a nearby table. “And well, my knowledge of arcane sciences is very... limited. Being an earth pony doesn't help much either... but I have my family genes to thank, that I only left some terrible critical failures with only scars, and nothing worse.”

His hoof then began to paw through the pages of the notebook, till it finally reached what looked to be floor plans. “So... before I make something major with a topic that's thin ice to me, I figured I could start with something small and learn from there. I have a friend who's dream is to run a spa. I have decided to go ahead and finance her dream, and pull it to life in Canterlot. But I have also decided to give her a better competitive edge. I did take the time to learn a little about the arcane... and one bit I learned is that to much magic energy in one area can be quite terrible... so I am sure I'd have to come up with something."

Java looked up with a curious look, "Could I get you anything? Something to drink? Or eat perhaps?"

Hoofcourt nodded his head in response to hearing all of Java's plans.

"Bold, decisive action, I like that!" the elderly unicorn neighed. "You remind me of myself in my younger days. The possibilities are limitless, if you are willing to work hard, learn from your mistakes and take the advice of ponies who have experience."

Hoofcourt smiled when asked if he wanted something to eat or drink.

"Perhaps I could have a snack later on, but for now, some tea would be nice, have you El Grey?"

Java smiled proudly to the praise as he now began to proceede back up the stairs leading to the walkway.

“Well,” He began in thought, “as an engineer I can not be afraid of paradigms. It is my job to not necessarily be the inventor. But to re-imagine, reinvent, or to simply make an already existing object better. Do I get as much credit as the one who made it? Well no, but I enjoy the job.”

After traveling around on the walkways, he finally got to the door leading to the kitchen. “And that's why you are here, my good friend! I needed an expert in the field who could show me the way, and assist me when possible.”

Before disappearing into the kitchen, he mumbled to himself as he pushed the door open, “Now... let's see if I have El.... Grey?” It wasn't really a tea leaf he had heard of. But he may have bought it at some point when he was stocking his cupboards with goods in case he ever had guest.

Hoofcourt waited for his host to return before responding.

"I will be more than happy to assist you, Java, in whatever ways I can," the elderly unicorn said as he sat in the living room. :"I have often been fascinated with the prospect of using engineering with magic. When I would argue this back in my Canterlot University days, I opposed by two different sides. The unicorns in my group would lambast me for the mere mention of using Earth Pony style engineering practices with magic while the Earth Ponies in my group shouted me down for daring to speak of 'contaminating' simple engineering with unicorn magic. But those critics of mine never made me give up my belief that the two sciences could work together for the benefit of all ponykind!"

“Well, then the nay sayers can all go to Tartarus,” Java grumbled out loud from his kitchen. His kitchen was nearly as bizarre as the main room. Where likely the entire design of the house was probably inspired from a childrens' book. A World of Complete Nonsense.

But yet some how every single design was made with an interesting thought towards it's own function and aesthetics. The Engineer knew better than to have random nonsense floating about, so he took care in each detail in his house.

Rifling through his cupboards, he finally found what he was looking for, and slapped it down to the counter. “Ah, looks like I do have it” he chimed to himself. He quickly put a kettle on the stove and slowly shuffled about his kitchen to prepare it's delivery.

“I can understand the... rivalry between earth ponies and unicorns, but there comes a point of time when the two eventually must converge for the better! Much like putting a tomato in a fruit salad. It's still a fruit, but most would argue it doesn't belong in a fruit salad. But... all it is, is salsa.”

"Indeed!" Professor Hoofcourt agreed. "I wish more of my learned colleagues could embrace such a view!"

The elderly unicorn stallion breathed a heavy sigh as him mind raced by to his younger days on the faculty of Canterlot University,

"There was only one pony who agreed with my thoughts on this subject, and he's a Pegasus!" the Professor jiggled. "That was Professor Clyde Krashkop! He was the Chair of the College of Physics before he retired. Surely you remember him? If not for his excellent teaching, then for his inability to land safely! Poor Clyde never did get the hang of making a proper landing from a flight. To this day, if you see Professor Krashkop descending from the sky, better gallop out of his way!"

Hoofcourt laughed so hard, he nearly fell out of his seat.

“Ah yes I have heard of him,” Java chuckled as he now returned from the kitchen balancing a platter on his head. On the platter was a tea kettle, and a tea cup, along with a saucer holding sugar cubes, a bottle of honey, and a bottle of home made vanilla syrup.

“He nearly took my head off in my freshman year of Canterlot University. Could never figure out why a physics professor couldn't master the art of landing. Till I tried flying myself. And I must say... it's more difficult than I thought.” Java sighed with a grimace. Remembering all to well his first test of his own personal modification of a glider. It ended with such a critical failure, that he had scattered on the ground at the bottom of the cliff. And only four feet away from the vestige.

'Thank you very much," Hoofcourt said, seeing the tray his host had prepared. The elderly unicorn's horn lit up and he poured himself a cup of tea, added honey and floated it up to his mouth to take a sip. "Splendid tea! Very well brewed, Java!"

He took another sip before asking his next question.

"Flying? My word! How did you fly? By mechanical means or with the assistance of magic? Sounds fascinating."

"Ah," Java asked in a curious note. He hadn't thought anyone would ask him about such things. But the inspiration did come from a foalish sorce. Books. Plenty of fantasy books. Not to mention helpful insight from comics, and a few pegasus. "Oh! A glider my good friend. While it's not true flight. It is a controlled falling sailing across the horizontal axis in space."

He quickly retreated back to one of the bookshelves and came back with a folder of detailing the entire project. He popped it open after placing it ontop of an end table. "Here we are," he said. At the very start of the failure, the contraption looked quite simple, but it was marked off as a Critical Failure. Pictures were supplied through the documentation, of what it looked like before testing, and then after. It was a terrible heap covered in a red liquid at the bottom of a cliff.

There were also obvious signs that the tester had drug himself out of the wreckage. Next several pages, there had been some progress gains, but there were also failures. Most of the time marked off as Design Failure, Mechanical Failure, Pony Error, and then occasional critical. But after six or seven pages, the streak broke into success. After a few more successes, the flyer began to look more complicated and went through the trials of failures and success once more as design changes were made.

"I test everything I design. After all, why should I provide a product that I am afraid of using?"

"This is extraordinary, Java!" Professor Hoofcourt neighed, carefully examining each book and photo that his host had brought out. Using his levitation magic, the elderly unicorn stallion could read the book, look at the pictures and continue enjoying his tea all at the same time.

"Few Earth ponies ever experimented with flight, let alone developed any working prototype gliders. It speaks quite well of you that you would engage in such a venture! I am very impressed!"

The Professor pour himself some more tea and sipped it.

"By the way, this is excellent tea!"

"Oh... oh really," Java asked with a blush. He hadn't expected that not a lot of ponies actually attempted to fly with a glider. He had just assumed that many other's did it before him... and he was just merely breaking ground from where many other's stood. Well, it's nice to know that one would become a pioneer from a mere thought of fantasy. Even if many failures came before something stable had been produced.

"Well, I hadn't realized so few have actually.... attempted such a feat." The earth pony began as he now sat down on a pillow near the table. He then gestured to the tea, though a bit curiously. "And... I believe that would be my first time brewing that particular tea.. Plus I don't brew tea much..."

He then cleared his throat. He pulled a fresh new note book from his jacket, and a quill in mouth. ",So... how possible is it to enchant items to take on certain effects?" The pony mumbled through his pen after opening up to a blank page.

"Enchantments you say," Hoofcourt said as the elderly unicorn stallion sips some more tea. "Is there a particular reason you'd like some objects enchanted? Over the millinimums of time, there have been few objects that had been enchanted, even by the legardary pony wizards of the past. Even the great Starswirl the Bearded rarely ever created enchanted objects. If not performed and used properly, enchanted objects can be very dangerous. For example, a certain purple unicorn from Ponyville, one who is now a Princess by the way, once used a magic spell to enchant a stuffed toy. This caused chaos in Ponyville when the spell affected nearly every pony in town. Luckily Princess Celestia stepped in to bring the madness to an end. Enchanted objects can be a great tool, or a source of much harm. Tell me, Java, what is it exactly you want from me?"

Java did recall hearing of such a catastrophic event going down in Ponyville. However, that seems to be almost an every day occurrence for such a small humble town. “Uh...” Java began in a musical but thoughtful tone. He was actually very apprehensive about the use of Ponyville as an example.

“I don't know if that would be an appropriate example, sir. Ponyville...” He trailed off momentarily, quickly recalling every single little thing that went wrong in the town. Even a few of the events he himself took part of, like the return of nightmare moon. Or when Discord returned and caused Java to suddenly howl at the moon, and sleep in the middle of a summer afternoon. And while Canterlot did have it's occasional problems... like a disgusting giant bug infestation, Or that blasted centaur thing that stole all of the ponies magic, it remained normal through most of the year.

He started up again, after licking his lips, “Ponyville is on it's own level. It's a nice town... but it's a weird one. Ponies call it a quiet town... but every time I visit the town... the ole law of chaos kicks in. Everything that can go wrong.... goes wrong.”

He cleared his throat and slowly sauntered back over to one of his bookshelves. He bit down on a handle to a glass door and pulled it open, to pull yet another folders in his jaws. He returned and placed it down on the desk. He then used a hoof to open it up to reveal it's contents. The first page was actually dated back several years, and it was merely a conceptual drawing of an Airship. Every page afterwards went further into concept, and then into theory. But the pages also danced around between different components and many different possible designs. About half way through were actual experimentations, well documented reports with every key detailed that the pony observed. But there was still no magic involved till closer to the end of the document. But once again, it went back into theory, and not practice. Likely because an earth pony does not have any form of access to the same magic a unicorn has.

“My original goal is simply to improve the design of the Airship. Currently the Airships are rather slow, and can only support a very small cargo load before becoming completely impractical. While the current method of thrust for it can get it moving even after it's overburdened capacity... it'd be much faster to walk and drag your cargo on a cart with square wheels. There are the industrial ones... but they aren't used often for the reason of costs, pollution, and flat out being utterly dangerous when one component fails.”

The pony continued to flip through the pages till it came to many different pages with notes scribled over it. In many areas, large question marks filled the pages, while in other areas math was provided along with prose to explain the function. The question marks were in areas that became far more vague than usable knowledge, though conceptual drawings did fill it's place.

“I have thought of what would happen when an Airship would be operated completely with magic. But... I've heard that it becomes harder to add more onto an enchanted object, not to mention it becomes less stable. So... instead of having one main core, like most designs... there will be multiple components, each with one single function.” Java sighed a bit, and continued, “literally, only this year I had thought of what would happen if this was a success. If it does work well, then it could actually pave way to the future. And while I am proud of being an earth pony. Three weeks ago is where I begin to wonder if this would be much easier to be a Unicorn like my mother.

Java then looked up from his notes, “So... I need knowledge. Concepts. Not only that... but I also need a way to produce such components. But again... I am aware of the dangers, so I wished to start small rather than big. Dare I say I need help.”

"An airship that runs exclusively on magic?" Hoofcourt asked with a bit of shock in his voice. "That is an intriguing concept. There is a smaller, magic propelled miniature helicopter device that was developed for a certain turtle, a pet of Rainbow Dash. But an entire airship? And your goal is higher speed? Well, this can be done as far as propulsion is concerned, but have you found a way to endure the safety of the passengers? After all, if any object, be it airship or glider, flies at a fast rate and then stops suddenly, the forward momentum would be felt by all passengers, even if they happened to be wearing safety belts. Rockets have great speed, but for a pony to ride one would be quite dangerous. Magic, unlike mechanical devices, cannot easily be 'adjusted' by merely turning a dial or pulling a lever."

Java smiled braodly as the onslaught of questions was struck on him. It was almost as if he had prepared for such questions in fact! Like he always does when being asked many other questions by clients in some of his contracts, or even when he is speaking on the behalf of the firm he works for. Even though stage fright quickly takes it's toll on the poor sleepless pony. His head slowly turned and gestured to a nearby bookshelf that held momentos of his family, and even some accomplishments that the pony had himself. One of which being a certificate showing that he had actually taken and passed a pilot's academy in the name of science!

“I take a great amount of pride in my work, Mr. Hoofcourt,” Java giggled excitedly as he now turned back to the folder, and began to slide a few pages out of the way with his hooves. “And I take my work very seriously. I may not be the inventor. No, as an engineer that is normally not my job. My job is to improve upon, reinvite, redesign. Change paradigms! How can I do my job when I do not know the issues. Everything I have made, I sought out problems, and I sought out solutions, and features that ponies want. I even personally joined the activities in which such items are used in applications, to learn what it is like to use such an item. And what is needed, versus what is extra. I make it my will to find the problem! Even if it means to invest in an airship yacht from my own funding and tear it to pieces. I will do it for in the name of Science and Technology.”

Once stopped once he found a particular page and pushed it forward. It was notes of a particular design that used Magic as a power source, rather than the entirty of the contraption. Java's grin was now growing broader, and excitement now taking to his tone. “But I am glad that you mentioned rockets! I will be getting back to that real soon!”

He quickly darted away, heading upstairs and disappearing through a doorway. A moment later he came back, wheeling a blackboard through the doorway. Clearly the excited engineer would actually have the common se- disregaurd that notion as the blackboard is now violently tumbling down the steps. It slammed hard against the wall, and tumbled into the foyer, instead of continuing down the steps into the basement. Once it landed with a comic thump. The pony scampered up to it, and set it up right, a bit of chalk in his jaws.

As he spoke, he was quickly drawing out a comical diagram that followed in suit of his explanation.

“Yes! Higher speeds means higher risk! But that is normally better suited in perfect worlds. A taxicab, may have such a problem as it's able to stop within ten to twenty hooves from the moment the pony who's pulling stops! The poor ponies inside will of course go flying forward. For much larger objects however, it is incredibly taxing to get such an item into motion!”

“No item can obtain an immediate and fixed velocity, without an acceleration! The acceleration is what allows for forces to happen. The forces allow for inertia to occur. Without inertia, things would be a lot nicer in a perfect world, right? Well no... not really. The innertia is a very beautiful, and POWERFUL concept when properly used. With the use of inertia, we can use the same concept of a bicycle to handle turning at greater speeds without flinging poor ponies through the air. If an emergency stop is needed, the ship can quickly dip backwards for just a mear moment to expose surface area for air resistance, as well as make use of the inertia to pin the ponies to the deck. But there is more”

“So... even with a powerful propulsion, the acceleration for something like a very very... BIG airship, will generally be low due to weight, air resistances, and other factors! It will build it's speed exponentially! And when the engine is cut off... much like the laws of motion states, it will eventually come to rest exponentially by acceleration! As long as the Impulse between states remain lows at first, and graduates, it will not remain to big of an issue.”

The pony flipped the board, and resumed his drawings.

“Now back to the rocket! The rocket was an incredible design as it makes brilliant use of pressure to force conversion with recoil forces! The fuel burns and expands gasses against the walls! But without an escape point, the barrel will mearly explode! But with to wide of an escape, the propulsion will be low! So with a proper nozzel, it's able to achieve lift! I have actually thought of making multiple magic devices. But as you said, no pony can control it. It will forever be moving at a constant speed or direction!”

“But then this is why I love being an engineer!” He quickly jabbed the chalk into the board and drew a box.

“A foalish idea is never a bad idea! And eventually the bizzare must be said! You must be outside of a dreadful box! Why use magic as the actual object... if a machine CAN be controled? Just put the stupid thing inside the machine! Use the magic as fuel! And one concept I have had, follows the same idea of a rocket. Only it's more akin to the adjustable nozzel of a gardening hose!”

Professor Hoofcourt Magic carefully listened to Java's description of his airship design ideas. Nodding his head at the many engineering observation he makes, the elderly unicorn stallion took a few more sips of his tea.

"Your ideas are certainly well thought out, Java. And you are correct about your observations on speed. To pilot such an airship, based on your theories, would require great skill. Knowing how to slowly accelerate, increase speed and then when the airship got near to its destination, slowly decelerate. I have quite curious, Java. Where would a magically enchanted object fit into all these plans?"

Java quickly twisted the piece of chalk in his lips, and bit down once more. He was merely trying to get it at a fine point before flipping the board, and drawing a large diagram. "Well, to pilot an airship requires a large amount of skill as is. The acceleration, and deceleration are all parts of it already. It mainly comes down to the pilot becoming use to the object he's flying. But to counter act such a thing, I figured it'd be best to have a small handful of set speeds rather than giving a full throttle. But it can be worked."

His new diagram depicted the drawing of a small circle inside of a canister. Arrows were pointing outwards, and bumping agianst the side, while one incredibly large arrow held a vector heading to the outside of the supposed engine. To make things a little more interesting, The very end had Two drawings stacked on top of each other. The first one was a narrow cone, made with thick lines. And the second was an open cylinder, drawn from dotted lines.

Once his diagram was complete, he drew an arrow to the circle, "The Magically enchanted item will simply emit a constant energy outwards in all directions. Preferably wind, or anything else that is not dramatically dangerous. But even so, it could still be worked with. Just like a rocket, this energy will flow outwards to the area with the least resistance. With the preassure built inside, it the magical energy will provide a propulsion. When the pilot decides to change his speed, the nozzle will dialate accordingly. Smaller to provide more thrust, and Larger to provide a slow but steady acceleration."

He then drew another image, this time showing it from the outside, with what looks like many slots now opening up. "And to stop, since magical items tend to function indefinitely without a practical manner of stopping it, I figured releasing the pressure radially will prevent the engine from providing any form of thrust. While the energy is released harmlessly into the air for it to dissipate."

"This is just one... of many designs I have thought of."

Professor Hoofcourt nodded in acknowledgment of Java's words. When he mentioned the use for the enchanted object, the elderly unicorn was soon deep in thought. Taking another sip of tea, he spoke.

"Enchanting an object requires a specific purpose or intent. Creating magical enchanted charms and objects as simply carriers of magical power is quite dangerous. The fabled Alicorn Amulet is an example of this. Whomever first formed and enchanted that object put few boundries on its scope, thus producing an object that not only amplifies unicorn magic but also corrupts the user. I have never and will never enchant such an object without specific restrictions. That would be irresponsible of me as a master of magical arts. So I must ask, Java, what specific purpose would you have for the object you want me to enchant?"

Java's smile soon disappeared for something more contemplative. True, being only an earth pony he never had any real experience with magical items. Not to mention the names of many of these fabled items completely escapes him. But he didn't bring Professor Hoofcourt to his lovely home completely unprepared to answer the more difficult questions. In fact, the pony already knew what he needed. Calculated from many long days of research and experimenting with explosions in his own house just to get near the same effect he was looking for.

"Specific purposes? I hadn't realized that magic would seek loopholes from it's own effect to cause disaster. But, I do know what I need, and only what I need," Java slowly set the chalk down and turned around to face Hoofcourt. "Keep in mind, that I am much more careful with subjects I am not familiar with. The danger will be avoided to the best of my abilities. I only need the object to expulse a torrent of wind from it's body spherically. And lastly an object that will stop the spell, if it gets within a meter's distance. Or approximately three hoves."

The answer satisfied Professor Hoofcourt's concerns. The elderly unicorn stallion was always cautious when it came to the use of his magic. Over the decades, he had witnessed many a reckless unicorn who allowed their egos to govern their judgment to misuse magic or think they could master complicated spells only to discover too late their own limitations. His mind raced to a former student of Celestia's School who thought she was the greatest unicorn of all, that is, until she was humbled by Twilight Sparkle.

"You have spoken wisely, Java," Professor Hoofcourt said finishing his current cup of tea. "Very well. I will be more than happy to cast a magic enchantment spell. What is the object you wanted enchanted?"

Java frowned, now this is the point where he wasn’t exactly prepared. He didn’t have any materials already on hand because he did not know what would have been a better medium to enchant. Not to mention how he could balance cost effectiveness with quality so the designs would not suffer to badly.

“Erm… yes,” Java started with a sigh. “I don’t have anything prepared at the moment.” He looked off to the side with a frown. “This is where research began to run a little slim.”

His gaze flicked back to Hoofcourt, “I don’t have anything prepared because I am not sure if the item in question actually effects the intent of the spell, or the quality and durability of the item in question has any effect.”

Archived