Pathfinder and the Last Hurrah (Closed)

SteelEagle

If there is anything more enraging than humor at one's expense, it is probably pity, and if Snively could see the look that Kahz had shot him from behind the scattered papers and journals the changeling was skimming, the bureaucrat would most likely be both irritated and bewildered. After all, Kahz was about as low-status a grunt, in terms of rank, as it was possible to get, and even smaller and more bent out of shape besides.

But it was true, Kahz really did feel sorry for him. After all, what sort of life was it, to have no joys except petty tyranny? Being a functionary brought no chance of glory, and when Snively passed on, he would simply be replaced by a changeling who could do the job just as well, and nothing of any great value would be lost. No, Kahz did not envy him in the least. Better a service to the Queen that might prove great, even if glory was bought at the price of death.

Speaking of which, there had to be something in the papers to clear up the position of this 'Pathfinder.' He just needed to find it-

"Your majesty!" He called out suddenly, almost forgetful of the fact that he was interrupting an interrogation. "I've discovered something important!"

True, this interruption had given the pony the opportunity to spit her filing into Snively's eye, but that was hardly important. He levitated the journal over to Chrysalis, hovering himself in order to better point on the relevant passages. "You see here, this 'Snowfall' that is mentioned?" He whispered. "If this is to be believed, our prisoner here is the lover of a pony of some great wealth and influence, a 'CEO,' it says here." Kahz was a little vague as to what this title meant, and so for that matter was the journal. "As for the pony herself... well, she doesn't call herself Daring Do in her private journal, but she claims to be an adventurer of similar caliber. I suppose there's no particular reason why an admirer of talent wouldn't imitate her idol."

• 4 weeks later...
The queen just sighed as she looked at the pitiful expression on Snively's face. How could a changeling have so little backbone as this? She would never understand it. It was shame, for sure.

"Do you mean to say, Snively, that you believe that you, a loyal and true subject of this great changeling kingdom, have fear in you for this simple-headed pony in front of us? Are we not keen-minded things--creatures who have long lived by means of deception and improvisation? Is there truly no confidence in you for your own ability?" Chrysalis said, maintaining a cold distance in her tone. "No, Snively, I would not shield you from this creature, nor would I any of my subjects.To do so, would be a gross disservice to you. A changeling needs to be able to survive and thrive, even in the face of such small and petty challenges."

Chrysalis looked back to the prisoner, listening as she spoke of her exploits. It seemed like a mix of complete drivel and utter fantasy. If a pony had done so many things, surely she would be known for it. How could she possibly stay anonymous. It defied reason... and yet the Queen could recall the visit she had recently paid to Talonopolis and the Razorclaws. The Helm she spoke of had indeed been stolen. There was also the fact of how far the pony had gotten before being captured. In so many ways, this pony seemed like a ridiculous buffoon... and yet, it was hard to dismiss her entirely. Chrysalis wasn't sure what to do with her.

That was when Kahz pulled her aside.His words brought a smile to the Queen's face. "You are doing much to please me today, Kahz. This is information that could prove quite valuable..."

Money was of little use to her. it was a simple thing for changelings to just take bits as needed. Sure, wealth usually was an indicator of some other resources which might be of use to them, but the influence was much more important. In preparation for the Roam plan it was important for Chrysalis to capture and replace or brainwash as many ponies of influence as she could to cripple the response. A powerful business pony could be of much use to have in their pocket. Then there was that other word: "lover". If it was a particularly strong love, it could be absorbed and consumed to give strength to changelings who needed it. Such love was an uncommon resource, one which Chrysalis was always pleased to get her hooves on.

"Well, whoever you are, Pathfinder, I now know what use you are to us," the Queen said, smirking. "I wonder how far your Snowfall will come for you..."

"Search those documents for a location where we might find this pony, Kahz. Perhaps there are some letters somewhere in that mess?" the queen laughed. "Though if it's a major corporation, it will not be difficult for us to locate it on name alone."

• 3 weeks later...

15d9eg5.jpg

“NOOOOO, NOT AGAIN!” Lately, good luck was hard to come by for Snively’s vision. First it was that dreadful silver fox during the previous invasion of Ponyville. And now, a supposedly secured prisoner somehow managed to fling something right into the drone’s left green eye. Oh, the humiliation! “Medic!” Snively cried out dramatically as he fell onto the floor, his eye reeling with pain. As a couple lower-ranked changelings picked up Snively to take him to a healer, the bureaucrat was last heard shouting; “You’ll PAY for this fleabag!!!”

*Exit Snively... for now anyway*

Pathfinder.png

A certain degree of foggyness had started to crowd around the edges of her vision. Pathfinder didn't think much of it though. Maybe that was because it was a hard thing to think as your mind started to breakdown due to blood loss and other injuries and concerns. The edges of her vision were turning dark as ping if multicolored light sparkled in front of her and a streaky grime spread, slowly but surely making it harder and harder to focus on any one thing. Her eyes started to drift and her eyelids grew heavier and heavier as every fiber of her physical form started to simply stop responding. She had been numb for some time but this wasn't numbness, this was her mind calling it quits soon and retreating into blessed unconsciousness. For all intents and purposes, Pathfinder's day was done.

BUT NUH-UH, not no way, no no how! Pathfinder was a mare's mare, an indefatigable adventurer who would resist to her last breath any inclination of cowardly surrender. Daring Do never surrendered! Granted, maybe her memory was just failing to recall some of her ploys in this more fractured state of mine, but the spirit was true no matter the facts. This was just another wrinkle in Pathfinder's eventual victory, a plot twist in her story. Readers would bite their hooves and wonder, “Oh gee wiz, how the heck is she going to get out of THIS one?!” and they'd turn the pages in a terrible fright and panic. Little ones would hold tight the neck of the parent who was reading the story in a hushed tone. It would be scary but that would make her eventual victory all the better. Ponies young and old couldn't resist such tales.

The Changelings continued their revolting search of Pathfinder's belongings That was fine enough since the one who was being really mean to her stuff turned out to be more pathetic than a one-winged pegasus during a relay. But then they brought up Snowfall and Pathfinder's blood started to boil! Literally, too. Her blood was boiling on account of some sort of poison the goo was secreting interacting with her poorly. No matter though. These changelings had crossed a few too many lines and she wasn't going to take it any longer! Providence had gifted her the simple fact that even as she worked on another of her filling solutions she had used on Snively in front of the Queen the Queen had not noticed! She had been so wrapped up in her goal that even as Pathfinder put the finishing touches on it she was blind to the future. Well, soon she'd be blind to everything else! Well, maybe not blind but it'd REALLY REALLY HURT HER.

And so, when the time was right as the Queen spoke with one of the more competent changelings around, Pathfinder shot out her filling straight and true. It was a good filling. She had first found it among the agents of W.R.A.I.T.H. When they were all after the Cyclic Theborameter in Marelia. It was a last ditch weapon used to blind law enforcement and more importantly to escape from binding. It didn't do much to help her get out of her gooey prison, but the first part still worked. And so she shot it out at the Queen, smirking immediately afterwards.

“Ha! I don't need CACK anypony to come from me and even if CACK Snowy did, she is too smart for you! Now if you don't mind me, time for my escape!” she screamed...and with that, spent the last bit of her conscious energy and passed out from blood loss in the cocoon.

The military history of the changelings, up through the present reign of Queen Chrysalis, consisted mainly of undignified retreats. Kahz was hardly a scholar on such matters, but he would have staked his carapace that none of them could match for maximum humiliation Snively's fleeing from a bound, injured, and mainly helpless Pony. Honestly, one didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so he elected to do neither. There was no need to add insult to injury, after all.

In any case, he had more pleasing things to think upon. The Queen was happy with him! Finally, after all this time at the very bottom of the hive's social structure, he was actually going to get a chance to do something important; something to prove his existence was not, as many had said, an unfortunate oversight. Granted, not many said that after any personal acquaintance, but it was still the main impression produced at first sight by his stunted form.
With a quick salute and cheerful, "Sure thing, your Majesty!", the eager Kahz ruffled through the scattered writings for more information. It was but the work of a moment to turn up a relevant mention, which he brought up to show her. "It says here- LOOK OUT!"

Not having anything more substantial to block the spat projectile that paper, he wasn't able to stop it. In fact, the filling with right through it, leaving a disturbingly disproportionately sized hole. "Oh my... Queen Chrysalis, are you alright?" He looked back and forth between his ruler and Pathfinder with anxiety that was only slightly alleviated by the prisoner in question fainting. Aggravating as it was, Kahz had to admire that spirit of hers, an absolute refusal to give up for anything. Had they not had it in common... well, neither would have survived until now, most likely. *And that's also what makes her dangerous. I can almost believe what she writes about herself, now...*

Archived