Luna more powerful than Celestia?

It seems like she is, to me. Celestia has the duty and talent of raising the sun and bringing the day, but Luna, though younger, has the talent and duty of raising the moon and bringing the night. But since the she owns the night, as was stated in the season 1 pilot, then Luna would also be placing and in control of the stars and other celestial objects, which would require more power to manipulate that many more objects- and ..isn't the sun, itself, a star?

I wouldn't think the stars would really come into play. I mean, if we even begin to assume the set up is similar to it is in real life (which we really shouldn't, since it clearly isn't), the stars are really too far away to bother with, I think. They don't really effect the earth so much. Either way, I don't think we've seen any indication that they are moved at all when night and day change (which we have seen); seems instead that they are just left in the sky and become invisible when the sun is out, much as they do actually. And if we assume that the sun and the moon are the only things being moved, the sun, which is larger I think would be harder to move.

Celestia was also able to assume use of all the Elements of Harmony and defeat Luna as Nightmare Moon, so there's that too. Sure, Luna seems to have some cool magic that might be unique to her, though Celestia likely does too Rather than her owning the night meaning that she moves all sorts of great celestial bodies around, I think it has to do with things a lot closer. We know that she spends her time each night visiting ponies (especially young ponies) in their dreams; that makes me think it's more that she's just a sort of guardian of the night, and all things associated with it.

Either way, Celestia is best princess. <3

Let's not forget for 1'000 years while Luna was hibernating in the moon, Celestia had to control both the Sun and the Moon every day and night. She did Luna's job the entire time; imagine the strain that had to put on her.

Don't get me wrong, I love Luna as a character, but I don't think she's more powerful than her sister.

Cadence is best Princess.

Xan and Rarity have already said what I was going to say (except for Xan's claim that Cadence is best princess, since we all know it is Celestia)

But yes. Even if that were so, Celestia not only was able to do it, but did it for 1000 years. Celestia guards the day and Luna guards the night. There are responisibities that come with both. Luna can access dreams. Celestia, it could be surmised, would have similar abilities to help with the day.

Also Celestia was the holder of the element of magic.

Also, even if we were talking about the movement of celestial objects. They are always in motion relative to the planet, which means that the task would be shared by both the sisters anyway.

Luna is quite capable of taking over Celestia's duties, just as celestia is able for Luna. The two simply share the task to remove the stress.

But when it comes to a magic bout, Celestia has the upper hand. Luna is actually quite a silly dimwit when compared to Celestia. Her vocabulary is also not as expansive. Celestia also studied with StarSwirl the Bearded.

Physical however... Luna is more likely to win. She is actually quite the aggressive little pony with some very busy hooves. Not to mention her competitive spirit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have to remember that Celestia did banish Nightmare Moon (which seemed like Luna's 'strongest form'). Although she used the Elements of Harmony to do it, I bet it takes a lot of magic to weld them all at once.

I also agree with XanXeto, while Luna was banished, Celestia not only did her job, but Luna's as well. That's got to be a tough cookie behind that rainbow mane.

Archived