Compare the Twilight/Tirek fight with something else other than DBZ

Can we compare it to unrelated earlier fanworks? Because the whole thing reminds me of the story of Gralo... the final battle being quite like the final with Gralo and the Princesses being like the battle of Tirek and Twilight

And I take some small delight in the fact none of you have any clue what I'm talking about and likely wont be bothered to look it up :blah:

Looked it up to see what it was, didn't read it out of my "No fan Fictions" principle

Looked it up to see what it was, didn't read it out of my "No fan Fictions" principle

Actually it's a Comic, not a fanfic (at least the version I read) and it is truely one of the best fan-comics I've ever seen. (AND IT WAS ACTUALLY FINISHED!!!) It also didnt pull any punches and laid bare some really nasty little plot points that most stories and such like to ignore.

Not to mention that it amuses me the parallels to the last season finale despite being written years before.

Actually it's a Comic, not a fanfic (at least the version I read) and it is truely one of the best fan-comics I've ever seen. (AND IT WAS ACTUALLY FINISHED!!!) It also didnt pull any punches and laid bare some really nasty little plot points that most stories and such like to ignore.

Not to mention that it amuses me the parallels to the last season finale despite being written years before.

I read the premise and just noped outa there man, I don't like Oc's in Fan fics/ fan works

I'd like to compare it with the PC game, Space Marine. Throughout the game, you have Captian Titus of the Ultramarines, who is analogous to Twilight, and Warboss Grimskull, who is reasonably analogous to Tirek. Just as Twilight learns her lessons about friendship and magic throughout the seasons, Titus gains new weapons and additions to his holy power-armor throughout his journey across the Forge world Graia, both protagonists preparing themselves unknowingly with the experiences and motivations offered by their surroundings. Titus similarly has his own companions, Sergeant Sidonus, Inquisitor Drogan and Marine Leandros, each of whom has their own distinct personality and set of abilities, much like the mane six, though none are as capable or as well-equipped to deal with the entirety of the world's difficulties as their chosen protagonist.N

None of the above or below should be taken seriously

.In similar parallel, just as Tirek's attempts upon Equestria are hinted at throughout the series, Warboss Grimskull's army of orks consistantly harasses Captain Titus throughout the campaign, sabotaging his efforts and impeding upon his progression. There is some difference here, though, as Grimskull makes himself very clearly known throughout the campaign, often taunting or visibly attacking Titus, while Tirek seems to prefer greater subtlety when it comes to harassing the princesses.

Raise your hand if you think I'm serious. Then, hit yourself with it because you are way too gullible.

The fights, however, do diverge a bit; Grimskull separates Titus from his friends and throws an innumerable number of xenos at the fully-upgraded Captain Titus, though Titus knows that Grimskull will kill his friends given the chance. However, Titus takes a slightly more direct route in dealing with Grimskull than Twilight - he does not surrender, he continues fighting until the warboss lies dead. However, this may partially be to his zealous upholding of the Emperor's teachings, which state that he must fight so long as he is even remotely capable of it; Twilight is under no such obligation to Celestia, but perhaps that would have played out differently if she was.

I haven't watched a single episode past season two.

Anyhow, I think we can safely conclude that the storylines of Warhammer 40K : Space Marine and the fourth season of My Little Pony : Friendship is magic are fairly similar, much in the same way that Dragon Ball Z is comparable to the above. THIS ENTIRE POST WAS A BLATANT LIE.

Harry Potter and I don't know why?

Yes, perfect. It's because both series involve magic and protagonists who talk and have friends. Therefore they must be the same.

I've read the comic. The reason it isn't compared to DBZ as much is because there's less to it ultimately. Because it's in a static medium, a comic, as opposed to fully animated DBZ, which most people in America experienced as an anime rather than a manga, wouldn't occur to as many people as a comparison point.

To be honest, I'm not really going to look at the Twilight/Tirek fight in the same light in DBZ. You're free to believe that, but to me, DBZ is just too masculine and manly to be compared to a franchise that is otherwise more comparable to Sailor Moon. Even Transformers and G.I. Joe aren't as ridiculously masculine as DBZ, and yet they were for young boys just as much as DBZ. For me, I'm always going to think of it as similar to the Twilight/Chrysalis fight because it shared some of the same circumstances as the Twilight/Tirek fight: Friends are hostages, external source powers up both opponents (e.g. a comet, rather than other ponies' magic), big lasers and explosions.

You're free to believe that, but to me, DBZ is just too masculine and manly to be compared to a franchise that is otherwise more comparable to Sailor Moon

Even if the source concept is 'masculine' does not mean that the tropes and elements used therein don't apply to FiM - by denying they do, you're simply adding flaws and holes to your logic.

JUST because MLP FIM is not masculine/manly does NOT at all disclude it from bearing similarities to certain things from something such as DBZ without being completely the same thing!

Even if the source concept is 'masculine' does not mean that the tropes and elements used therein don't apply to FiM - by denying they do, you're simply adding flaws and holes to your logic.

JUST because MLP FIM is not masculine/manly does NOT at all disclude it from bearing similarities to certain things from something such as DBZ without being completely the same thing!

Perhaps, but again, I'd rather the Twilight/Chrysalis fight, because DBZ is too mediocre a series to be compared with MLP. Nothing but supporting characters getting murdered or sidelined on a regular basis to advance the story. Long, slow-paced, repetitive fights. An overemphasis on the albeit generic, one-dimensional villains and their godlike power levels, almost at the expense of any meaningful character-arcs for the heroes.

Hell, it's a frickin' sequel to Dragon Ball, which was far superior for its mixture of lighthearted, optimistic comedy and coming-of-age-style storytelling! DBZ was a sequel that abandoned all those notions for the sake of being "bigger" and "superior" to the original!

And, it was dubbed and made "edgier" at the time American comics during the 90's were declining. Why? Because all the edginess and extreme badittude that may have helped DBZ make money was causing American comics to hit rock bottom, because it stripped them of their sincere optimism that is normally mistaken for "kiddy" and "campy".

I read the premise and just noped outa there man, I don't like Oc's in Fan fics/ fan works

Fair enough. I actually feel the same way about fanfics, always turning off the "OC" tag on fimfiction. I guess I'm a little more lenient with comics (likely because there are so few good ones...) If you ever change your mind though, be sure to go back and look it up, really it's the only fan-comic (other than one-off jokes) I can recommend.

Fair enough. I actually feel the same way about fanfics, always turning off the "OC" tag on fimfiction. I guess I'm a little more lenient with comics (likely because there are so few good ones...) If you ever change your mind though, be sure to go back and look it up, really it's the only fan-comic (other than one-off jokes) I can recommend.

I might at some point, thank you Ashton :)

We get it, you dislike DBZ, You telling us how bad DBZ is, and how much you don't like it, isn't going to really change how people think.

I had a reason as to why I didn't like DBZ. As I said in my blog, I expected Goku's friends to be like the Justice League, just because the main-protagonist was technically Superman in-terms of powers and origin-story. Unfortunately, I've been proven wrong time and again, because as it turns out, DBZ was its own self-contained universe, which meant none of Goku's friends were protagonists of their own spin-off franchises, and as a result could not be treated equally to Goku. The DC Comics Universe, on the other hand, was a shared universe, which meant every member of the Justice League were main-protagonists of their own franchises, which was why they were treated equally every time they teamed up to form the Justice League.

But really, I guess it had to do with the fact that I once liked DBZ because I was young and naive at the time. Then, when I read Carlos Ross' negative review on ThemAnime.org, I automatically changed my mind and hated it, because I was persuaded to. And that's the problem: I listen to critics because it's cheaper than purchasing the product and finding out for myself if it's good or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I figure a lot of people are bringing up DBZ for a couple reasons, the primary reason that it was a DBZ style fight. It also could be because Dragon Ball Z is a lot more well-known and widely viewed. I compare to DBZ despite having seen Naruto, Yu-Yu Hakusho, and a bunch of other animes and fighting shows. It could be that the genders of neither combatant is relevant and is more about how the fight went.

Half the time watching MLP I completely forget that the characters are female and am more interested in the stories, conflicts, and more important aspects to the characters.

Archived