Nightmares (of the M6)? (need suggestions for project...)

Ashton

I'm working on a project (planned to be completed before S5 starts). Part of it features (rather prominently) Nightmares of the Main Six. But I've hit a bit of a block...

Twilight is the hero she's fixing the nightmares instead of having one :P

Fluttershy is dreaming she's trapped in the Everfree... at night... in the rain... :eek:

Dash is dreaming about a perverted version of the Weather Factory (yes, it is a not-at-all-subtle nod to Rainbow Factory) --- or if too many people hate that, she's dreaming of rocking out at a concert or race and the audience freaking out and coming after her. (didn't put a lot of thought into the second one because unless there's an overwhelming negative response to the first I'm going with it, that gives me a LOT more to work with)

But Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie have me stumped... Yes, I could go with SAA failing and being overrun by pets (either weeds, monsters, or something else) but that kinda feels like I'm just altering the Everfree nightmare... and I *could* do rarity-at-a-fashion-show getting boo'd (but that would REALLY feel like rehashing if I do dash-concert/race instead of dash-rainbowfactory) but that doesn't really give me a lot for Twilight to fix, And I'd rather not dive headfirst into the Pinkamina "party-of-one" insanity... (though like above, if there is an overwhelming response, I'm willing to change and do exactly that, and I cant say I dont have a few ideas for it...)

So, anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

My thought for Pinkie Pie is for her dream to be a version of Ponyville which is completely desolate. Everything there is in otherwise good condition, but it all shows a clear lack of pony habitation and in fact looks like it's been abandoned for decades. My reasoning behind it is this: Pinkie thrives on parties and making others happy, how would she fare if there are no other ponies around? Heck, the fundamental source of her multiple personalities in Party of One was that she thought her friends had abandoned her.

Applejack and Rarity had less readily apparent lynch pins, or at least ones harder to exploit. For AJ, I eventually settled on the idea of her dream being her captured and converted into a changeling, on the basis that honesty is one of her defining traits, of a good nightmare for her is to forced into a situation where her livelihood is based on a lie. So, at least in her mind she's forced to choose between constant lying, or possibilities of ostracisation, starvation or worse.

Rarity I haven't really come up with much for yet, my one idea is is that she ends up in some kind of leadership position but every time she tries to do something positive for her subjects it turns out disastrous. The idea here is to play off of both her being the element of generosity and that her personal sense of style, but as a self-contained dream it seems a little thin.

I swear this is the most inconsiderate fandom I've ever been in, sometimes I wish I'd never found it... T_T

Thank you, Derp, for being the only one kind enough to reply, I will consider what you have said, there is a lot of potential there. ^_^

Hey now, let's not jump to conclusions. It's possible no one else could come up with ideas, or at least not that quickly, and then adding a comment explaining that wouldn't really help anything. I like to think I'm good at this sort of thing, and if that's true it means others likely won't have such an easy time.

Still, I hope you find those ideas useful, and I wish you luck.

Hey now, let's not jump to conclusions. It's possible no one else could come up with ideas, or at least not that quickly, and then adding a comment explaining that wouldn't really help anything. I like to think I'm good at this sort of thing, and if that's true it means others likely won't have such an easy time.

Still, I hope you find those ideas useful, and I wish you luck.

It's not just this question, it's not just this site, as a whole this fandom seem to just sit and roll it's eyes. I feel like they're saying "well if you can't do it all on your own then ---- you! I'm not wasting any of MY precious ideas on the likes of you!" It's like creativity is a scarce resource anymore, and everyone has to horde all that they have... really it's sad...

Hey, I'm not rolling my eyes at all! In fact, I'm really curious to see what you're doing. The only reason I didn't comment earlier is that I couldn't come up with something for you, and Derps idea seemed really good.

But I did just some up with something for AJ :P How about her while crop has died, and her family is losing money fast and then Granny Smith or even Applebloom gets really sick. Applejack has always taken the responsibility of running the family, imagine the stress it would have to not be able to pay for a treatment

Hey, I'm not rolling my eyes at all! In fact, I'm really curious to see what you're doing. The only reason I didn't comment earlier is that I couldn't come up with something for you, and Derps idea seemed really good.

I've been trying to keep it quiet, but since it's stalling out often now and likely wont be finished for at least a year (since when S5 starts up I'll have to stop untill the end of the season to account for changes in canon)... I'm actually making a game, an RPG with the M6 and lots and lots of other characters. Sadly there are a lot of gaps in my story (and an even larger gap in the art assets I need - I had to completely abandon an absolutely adorable fluttershy plot about her saving a wounded Timberwolf Pup because I couldn't get the needed assets for it...)

But I did just some up with something for AJ :razz: How about her while crop has died, and her family is losing money fast and then Granny Smith or even Applebloom gets really sick. Applejack has always taken the responsibility of running the family, imagine the stress it would have to not be able to pay for a treatment

AB's already spoken for, but the rest... that has a lot of potential as well... I could work with that and use it at the very least in part... thanks! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried gaining inspiration from the Nightmare Rarity comic arc? Since the comics are canon to the show, it would indicate what the Mane 6 (or 5 in this case) would actually have nightmares of. Just to start it off, I would say Rarity losing her "spark" to make wonderful clothing, Fluttershy becoming bad with animals, Rainbow Dash being kicked out of the Wonderbolts or not being able to fly, Pinkie Pie becoming "annoying" instead of fun/funny to every pony, and of course Applejack losing her farm to the Flim Flam brothers, or just losing her apple crops.

I apologize for only just finding this thread, however, given what we know behind the scenes, and what we saw in Somepony to Watch Over Me, I think Applejack's worst nightmare would be watching another family member, particularly a younger one, die and she be unable to do anything about it. That has always struck me as being terrifying to her.

Rarity's is a little more personal. Rarity is a confident, independent businessmare who has worked hard, largely on her own, to achieve what she has. Being able to handle any situation on her own, from a fashion show to being kidnapped by Diamond Dogs, has always been how she herself largely defines her own personality. Therefore, Rarity's biggest nightmare would be being totally, helplessly reliant on another, either through injury, disease, old age or whatever reason, but if she is totally helpless without the aid of another I imagine that would be traumatic for her.

Archived