Soarin' above the Rainbow:// Private {Steel/Lime}

QuickLime

prismburstbanner_zpsa3d30851.jpg

Charity work was always rewarding, and Prism Burst was more than happy to contribute! Be it bits or otherwise he was very diligent in his activism , especially in Cloudsdale his home turf! And this charity most certainly was worth it! It was a event to help underprivileged foals meet their heros and develop their dreams! A few Wonderbolts were attending and Prism was actually honored to have been asked to come as well, granted most questions he found were about his Element of Harmony bearing daughter!

The day was winding down and he was feeling a little parched, as well as a little worn out from the constant barge of questions from doe eyed, eager fillies and colts, wanting to know about everything from how Rainbows worked, to how it felt to fly through a storm, it made him feel good inside to do such good work but boy was he tired..

Letting out a yawn as he stretched, popping his back and opening his wings, a brilliant display of feathers! "Hgnn"

Soarinbanner_zpse58630fe.png

Soarin' had always loved doing charity work. As he started to get past the prime of his life he knew that those that followed his career noticed the few small signs of his decreasing capability. His fans loved him all the same and he was still among the best of the best but the signs were all there. But when you were doing charity work the audience was rarely so discerning and critical. Often times they were the poor and downtrodden who couldn't otherwise see such glory in living color. They had to hear about it third hoof and see it on stuttering reels at local Reel Plazas. Their eyes full of wonder and their joyous exclamations all the sweeter for their purity. Soarin' loved doing what he could because he could and afterwards he got to handle question after question. Others got sick of that but he never did, not after all these years. He always kept in mind that while it was old hat to him, he was dealing with somepony who would only ever hear the answer once. No matter how many times he said it, it would always remain fresh.

After hours of performing and then answering questions and taking portraits with the little ones, he was finished. Others still had their turns but he was ready to turn in and call it a night. Signing off from Cloudsdale, one tired Pegasus. He wished Spitfire and some of the other first team ponies could have done the show but they had an important commitment and wanted to give a reserve team member her first shot at the big time anyway. Worked out for all involved, but as the most famous one in the show all the attention had been on him. He worked better as a the wingpony than as the lead wingpony. Off track- he wanted to relax. As he was hovering away from the activity he noticed an explosion of color. His head snapped to it- Rainbow Dash wasn't supposed to be here, she was getting her shot tonight for a darn good reason- and found his fears unfounded. Soarin' had seen Prism Burst once in a picture Dash had of her papa, and Soarin' never forgot a cute face. (Plus they had been at the same table as questions were being asked) Time to be friendly.

Soarin' hovered over towards Prism, waving all the while.

"Hey there!" Soarin' landed and smoothed his mane out, "nice to see you. I thought you handled those questions well. Prism Burst, right?"

Oh HO ! What was this cuteness from the clouds approaching him? It was Soarin' from the Wonderbolts, he was always so good with the kids, Prism was glad he came out to make so many kids dreams of meeting a Wonderbolt come true, it was so kind of him, he always had been his favorite of the team, and he may or may not have yoinked his daughters extra Soarin' training cards... Shut up he can have a crush if he wants!

"Yes ! That's me alright and thank ya Soarin', you did a magnificent job with the little ones too" He said kindly, smiling at the cute stallion all dawned in blue.. you could see that he wasn't a spry young stallion no more, but he was still in Prism's mind the best of the best, and he toughed it out even when it got tougher than tough could be! Very admirable, specially with his recovery at the Equestria Games this year!

"I was about to go get a nice drink at the place nearby, would you care to join me?"

The congenial stallion certainly didn't fall flat on his face when he opened up his mouth. It had been the fault of many friends, hangers on, and lovers in Soarin's life after he became a celebrity that a certain disease of the mouth crept in. He was surrounded by sychophants or vapid models stretching out their thin layer of intelligence. You could tell almost right off the bat as their words were hurried and parried by stupidity. It wasn't their fault. His celebrity drove them mute or they simply sniffed a few rungs above their ladder in search of fame or bits. It was par for the course. Soarin' was desperate to find ponies who could speak with him and the stunning stallion father of Rainbow Dash had at least a semblance of coherency about him. That alone was attractive. So was getting complimented. Compliments were always attractive.

Soarin' laughed lowly and shrugged.

"I guess I'm okay with them. I always try to remind myself that even if I've done this ten thousand times before, this is a once in a lifetime experience for fillies and colts like this. Helps keeps things in perspective," he began with a smile, looking out over the field as operations wrapped up. Another successful event. Usually the Wonderbolts would meet up for a team building exercise afterwards, usually a lunch paid for by the youngest member of the team, but Cloudsdale was home to many families of Wonderbolts. He could see a few already jetting off to spend the rest of the day with family and a few others noticing the dissolution and challenging one another to impromptu races. The energy of youth and family was always great to see, but his older bones had a more relaxing and inventive way to spend his freedom for the rest of the day.

"It'd be a pleasure to join you. I could do with a drink myself. Travel over the past few days has been gruelling! Good to have a bit of freedom. Not as spry as I used to be, need to give these weary muscles a break once in a while," he stated pleasantly before quickly moving on, "you live in the area, right? I know Rainbow is from the area."

• 3 weeks later...

"I agree, it is a great way to keep ones perspective cleared!" Though the way Soarin spoke of sore muscles and such from traveling did worry Prism, after all surely a spry young man such as Soarin' was still in his peak!? Though looking the other over, it slowly dawned on Prism that they were rather similar in age, though Prism couldn't say his muscles ached, but then again his job wasn't as grueling as Soarin's...

"That ah do, just over the clouds thataway" He pointed with a hoof, spreading his wings and flapped upwards "The coffee shop is a easy glide away Soarin' ya wont strain no muscle getting there, afterwards if you'd like to continue our chat yer welcome to pop into my place for a spell to get a little TLC eh?" He gave the other a wink, he was certainly still very fetching, even if he wasn't as spry and young as he used to be...

The world was simple when you had simple needs. Soarin' was a simple pony full of simple desires and some nice rest and relaxation always spoke true to his heart's desires when it was time time of his own to be used. Good thing he had good company. Rainbow didn't talk about her papa often but she did love him and what she did say was glowing and from what little Soarin' had seen of him he lived uo to his daughters' hype. More importantly, hiw knowledge of the terrain would lead him to a nice drink and no greater kindness could be his at this moment than that. He was weary and the one proven method to get salty wings back up in the air was, well, a whole bunch of salt cubes. Maybe some sugar cubes. Maybe some cider and maybe even more than that. Soarin' had some free time and an active imagination. Let the wind take him- that was his motto in life and today was no different.

"Well, you can be my flight lead for the day. That bar looks nice and TLC never hurt a stallion. This place serve any good stuff or am I going to have to order something secret off the menu to forget the age on my wings?" He asked with a smile, taking off from his cloud and lazily flying towards the bar. The truth was a bit darker for Soarin'. His wings hurt terribly so. It would dull with time but he was spending more and more time between shows grounded. He was even starting to think airships or trains would be a good way to get from show to show, but the image of a lone Wonderbolt stepping out off of a train while his team flew above was gossip-worthy. Better to deal with his pain and tough it out until some hotshot young mare with a rainbow mane proved herself and took his place on a team. Well, he could always annoy her with stories about her father drinking so it wouldn't be a loss any way you sliced it.

• 1 month later...

Now Prism kept up with how his dearest was doing! She had made the Wonderbolt Reserves, and was gaining quite the reputation, and there was no doubt that he was every inch as proud of her as a Papa could BE!..However right now was not about Dash and her adventures, no he had a feeling there was enough focus on her as is, right now his attention was on this dashing stallion that was going to get a drink with him...and Prism felt a slight flush cross his face, hovering to salute with his wing "Yes sir!"

Turning sharply he started towards the Bar, there was a gentle air current, it was perfect for just light gliding, no real strain on the muscles, just a nice peaceful float, and then a gentle plop landing.

"So I caught your last show, it was incredible, you are so flexible in the air.."

Yes, yes, it was all true. Soarin', even at his advanced age, was a beacon of mobility and agility in the air. His moves could dazzle a crowd and move them to cheer or stun a mob into silence with slack-jawed looks of awe about them. That was the fun thing about the shows when the audience weren't stunt fliers themselves...they didn't know how slow he was now. Or that his team was moving the set lists around to compensate for his sore body or that he was taking outside transport to and from some of the more hard to reach shows. None of this was known and it wasn't necessarily a huge deal anyway, but he was almost the exact opposite of being a limber and agile pony compared to his fellows.

“Well, you know us Wonderbolts. Trying to be the very best for allllll the ponies of Equestria, though honestly it has always been most fun to perform for kids. They get really into it. Of course they can be some of the zaniest fans. Well, some adults got them beat to. Your daughter was both at one point or another! Does she get her epic fanhood from her good ol' daddy, I wonder?” Soarin' asked inquisitively as the two stallions moved closer to their destination. He wasn't sure about Prism, but Soarin' had a hankerin' for some nice cider and a warm breeze or four to relax after such a busy day.

Archived