[Canterlot] Shining City[OPEN]

Misty gazed wide-eyed at the approaching city. Canterlot loomed before her, pillars and spires and towers shining in the sunlight. Her mouth hung half open as she stared up at the huge buildings. Her feet kept her moving forward through the gate, while her eyes remained elsewhere, her head swinging back and fourth to try to see it all.

Her hooves and horn glimmered in the sun, and even her clean white fur had a gleam to it. But she was so busy staring at the city that she didn't see the pony in front of her. She bumped into them, and was knocked onto her butt.

She stood up quickly, shaking her tail to dust it off. Looking at the pony, she apologized. “Oh, I'm so sorry! Iâ€â€I wasn't watching where I was going!â€Â

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robikku had been making his way through town to head for the Library of Canterlot for a little bit of personal reading...it was one of the things the young pegasus enjoyed doing in his spare time away from the hustle of the college studies and the oft-too-quiet atmosphere of his own apartment in Canterlot. And since it was a free day today...He could unwind a little.

For the moment, he was just idly making his way through town, contemplating what else he could do - perhaps he'd take a stroll around Canterlot and see some things he never usually thought to do, or maybe even take some time to go out of town and just do a little personal hiking for the day. So many options available, he thought to himself, and just not enough hours!

It was just at that moment he found himself being bumped into by another pony, almost sending the poor Pegasus stumbling onto his face...luckily he used his wings to steady himself and regain his composure!

" Woah, hey - what's the big idea...?" He starts, before looking at the one who bumped into him with a brief look of annoyance that quickly faded into a general glance of questioning at the Peryton.

" Uh, You okay? Should be more careful, you could hurt yasself! "

• 2 weeks later...
â€ÂIâ€â€I'm sorry!†Misty repeated again. “I'm perfectly okay, but what about you?†Misty observed the blue pony, glancing over him. No cuts or scratches, plus he was still standing. “I'm Misty. What's your name?†she asked, extending a hoof. She hoped that this was still a proper greeting custom in this type of city. “Say, you wouldn't have happened to see any OTHER Perytons around here, wouldja?†she asked, a glimmer of hope in her eyes. She knew that getting her hopes up was riskyâ€â€after all, this was the first city she had visited. What were the chances of finding her sister in the first place she looked? They were slim, true... but it wasn't impossible.

Robikku wasn't used to meeting a peryton out this way, didn't really know what to say or to expect - for the most part, all he could do for a couple of seconds was stare dumbly before shaking the hoof extended to him apologetically.

" Oh, right...sorry... " He says with a small clearing of the throat. " The names Robikku. "

The Pegasus pauses for thought and taps his chin in contemplation...ultimately drawing a blank, however.

" Perytons? Can't say I know too many of them this way. I know there may be a few studying around here though! "

He couldn't help but notice the glimmer of curious hope gleaming in her eyes and thus couldn't help but want to help the poor girl as much as he could...it was just not something terribly easy to do given the circumstances.

" What...brings you here anyway? I get the idea that you're looking for SOMEPONY, at the very least! "

Misty's ears drooped as Robbiku hinted that their probably weren't Peryton's around here. But, they perked up again almost immediately as he mentioned that there might be some. She resisted the urge to gallop off and searchâ€â€that would be awfully rude, and besides, she realizedâ€â€she had no idea where to look!

“Oh, well Iâ€â€I'm not looking for a pony, exactly.†Misty replied. “I'm more looking for a Peryton. Y'know... someone that looks kinda like me? Or, well, exactly like me.†She gestured with a hoof to her chest. “And maybe a Griffin...or two...or five.†she added.

miraclebanner.png

"2, 4, 6, 8, 2, 4, 6, 8, 2, 4, 6," Miracle counted as she trotted closer and closer to the local bakery. She made this trip everyday, at precisely the right time, and with the exact same number of steps. This time, it looked like she made too big of strides and came up 2 hoofsteps to spare by the time she reached the bakery entrance. But she wasn't going to let this happen. She made her last two steps in place at the door. "8." Miracle breathed a sigh of relief before entering the building with her right hoof first.

Once inside, she stood in line at the bakery to buy a loaf of her favorite rye. When she ordered and received the bread, she paid her bits. The clerk, however, gave her change back. Miracle looked at the clerk and bits nervously, reluctant to take them for fear that they would bring her bad luck. The pony behind her began getting impatient and irritable. But before the pony could complain, Miracle spotted a small salt shaker on the counter. Taking the bits, she inconspicuously grabbed the shaker and sprinkled some salt on her hoof before tossing it over her left shoulder, right into the eyes of the disgruntled pony who was waiting in line behind her. Oblivious to the discomfort of others, Miracle trotted luckily towards the bakery exit.

Outside, she felt a strange itch in her front left hoof. "Oh, no! My foot is itching! That means... no, it can't be..." Miracle fretted the possibility of her future. But before she could daydream for too long, she noticed a jangle cent on the ground. With enlarged irises, Miracle grabbed it with her mouth and tucked it into her bag.

"It's just a jangle cent," a nearby pony who observed her said. "Those things are, like, worthless."

Miracle smiled as if she knew better than the pony who criticized her. "See a jangle cent, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck! See a jangle cent, let it lie, all day long you'll have to cry." The other pony rolled her eyes as Miracle went about her superstitious ways. Miracle knew that she looked foolish, but she wasn't willing to risk having swarming bad luck follow her just because she didn't want to look like a fool. She felt that bad luck was always following her.

Then, she spotted a tourist peryton talking with Miracle's prior acquaintance Robikku. She knew that if Robikku was talking to her, it probably meant she needed help. Robikku was always a helpful pony.

Miracle was a little nervous about going out her normal routine to see what the matter was with the peryton. But Miracle was feeling extra lucky today, and she felt that she could help others by sharing the extra luck she felt she had. Miracle walked towards the two, counting her steps along the way whilst avoiding the cracks and seams in the cobblestone path. "...4, 6, 8, 2, 4, 6, 8, 2, 4," Miracle looked up at the two as she approached, "6, 8. Hi, Robikku. And hello there, miss, I don't believe I've ever seen you before. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw one of your kind. My name is Miracle. You here to visit the castle grounds?"

image.php?album_id=47&image_id=457 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=458 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=459 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=460 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=461 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=462

And here came Miracle - Robikku knew her to be a fun if a little off kilter at times, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing...she was just very absorbed in the concept of luck, and it meant a lot to her to keep that up as much as possible.

" Well hey there, Miss Miracle! " Robikku says with a smile, nodding a hello to her as she came over to their group...and for the most part, she was telling the same as he had just finished himself. " Nice to see ya again! "

In all honesty, he wasn't really sure if there was anything else he could say about the peryton situation of Canterlot...he had never really given it much thought and he didn't really know any perytons personally on a friend basis. He'd seen some in the educational halls, of course, but he had never taken time to really get to know any...so he couldn't really guide in that direction either. He gave a small frown of thought as he ponders more on the situation.

At least Griffons were slightly easier to find here!

" Well, this is definitely a strange little situation, eh? " He says with a small chuckle. " I mean we could always go see if there's any around here today...there may be some in the more famous locations, maybe even near the castle. I mean it's not much of a suggestion but hey, it's a start right? " He says with a somewhat hopeful grin. " Unless you all have other ideas! "

â€ÂOh, hello there. I'm Misty. It's a pleasure to meet you.†Misty extended her hoof for a hoorshake. “I'm not really sure where I'm headed. I was looking for a Peryton, quite similar to myself.â€Â

Then, it seemed as if she was in luck! There were likely a few Peryton's around here, it sounded like... and possibly some Griffins too. If both creatures were located here, that was a good indication that they might find Snow. Although, there wasn't really an guarantee... and Misty just knew that she was letting her hopes get unrealistically high, but it was hard to help it. There wasn't really anything to indicate that Snow wouldn't be here... But even if there were other Perytons, something told her that one of them wouldn't be her sister.

“Oh, well, thank you.†she replied to Robikku. “But I wouldn't want to impose at all. You likely have other things to do today. If you could just point me in the right direction?†She really did want to accept his offer of help, but it wouldn't do for a first impression to make him give her a mini-tour of the city, especially if it was all in vain.

miraclebanner.png

As Miracle watched the conversation between Robikku and Misty develop, she was distracted by the loaf of rye bread she had left on her back as she trotted over. Grabbing the loaf, Miracle licked her lips and bit off a piece of the bread and began chewing it. The bread was very chewy and took some time for her to swallow. She then took a second bite.

Miracle was overweight. She blamed most of this on her depressing episodes she believes are nothing more than strokes of bad luck. But today, Miracle was not depressed. In fact, she was having a rather good day. But even on good days, Miracle would pass into her favorite food providers and buy double orders of whatever she felt like having that day. Miracle ate when she was depressed. But when she wasn't? Well, a pony's gotta eat.

Overhearing half of what the others were saying, Miracle made a hard, uncomfortable second swallow. "Oh! I think I might know where we can find other perytons. The castle garden is usually the place where those kind like the hang out. They sure do like nature stuff. The garden isn't always open, but when it is, I sometimes see them there when I walk by it every afternoon. We should go over there and see if it's open."

image.php?album_id=47&image_id=457 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=458 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=459 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=460 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=461 image.php?album_id=47&image_id=462

Robikku nods in agreement - the idea that Miracle proposed sounded a pretty safe bet, and he decided that that might well be the option best to go with...or at least agree on.

" Sounds like a good idea! " The pegasus says as he looked between the peryton and the other pony with a grin.

" Besides, the castle garden is a pretty enjoyable place to look around anyway...seems like a fairly reasonable place t'go and take a few moments to jus' relax and see what's going on. "

The pegasus stretched out his winds and takes to the air a moment, hovering just close to the pair - he did enjoy taking a random moment out with other ponies once in a while, and he was fairly familiar with Miracle. If anything, this was probably a good opportunity just to get to know the pair of them a little better. He was always curious to find out a little more about those he came in contact with, and today would be clearly no exception. " I say we should all go take a look! "

Misty nearly squeed with excitement. Another pony who had seen Perytons! That meant there were definitely at least a few about, somewhere. But she quickly realized she didn't know where any of the places were that they'd described... And she didn't have a map of this city yet either. Of course, she could always be pointed in the correct direction... but that would be a lot to remember if she needed to visit multiple places. At any rate, she hoped she was on the right track.

Then Robikku took to the air, seeming to just float above herself and Miracle. She felt a hint of jealousyâ€â€though she herself had wings, they weren't really ideal for flying... They were more for simply sailing and gliding, and weren't large enough to carry even her own body weight.

Then Robikku suggested that they should all head off together. That was perfectly fine with Mistyâ€â€she didn't want to impose, but the pony seemed rather excited at the prospect of it. Misty wasn't too sure about Miracle... but whether or not she came along, at least Misty had one guide, for a little while.

She nodded, taking a tentative step in the direction Robikku was pointed.

miraclebanner.png

Miracle took another bite of the loaf she had in her left hoof as she listened to Robikku's suggestion. She liked his idea and his freelancing personality. It was adventurous, but not too adventurous. As he concluded, Miracle thought it would be a good idea to make some kind of a gesture of kindness towards the peryton, as Misty looked a slight timid and a little stunned by the majesty Canterlot's towers and walls brought to the environment.

As she was thinking and eating, it occurred to her than she should share some of the delicious rye bread she had just bought with the peryton. Hopefully, this would cheer her up even more and allow her to trust Miracle's darker pelted persona. But as soon as the thought transpired into motion, she began chewing the last bite of rye bread that she had. Oohhh... Miracle thought. Her stomach had beaten her brain to the punch again. She would have to think of some other way to offer friendship to Misty.

Miracle swallowed the rest of her meal. "Yes! We should go, and now's a good time as any." Miracle began trotting towards the heart of the city. She synced her pudgy prance over the cracks that fault the city's paths.

Upon starting their journey to the gardens, Robikku landed beside the Peryton and Miracle with a small chuckle - it wasn't often he had the opportunity or reason to go towards the gardens themselves, other than when he'd attended the Gala that one time. They were pretty much every bit as gorgeous as anypony would have expected them to be...

" Well, it shouldn't take us too long to get there. " he says with something of a quick stretch of his wings before folding them away...

After all, it just didn't seem fair for him to be flying when the pair of them were walking along at such a leisurely pace behind him like they were.

" Hmm...so anyway... " The pegasus started as he glanced at the other 2 travelling companions. " How are you guys? Nice day out today at least. "

For the most part, it seemed like they'd be walking together through Canterlot for a little while, so it seemed to make some sense to get an idea as to how the pair of them were doing. After all, a little idle conversation might help make time together pass quicker and their destination arrive all that much sooner!

• 2 weeks later...

Misty followed along, trying to keep pace with the two ponies. Her legs were a bit shorter, for one, and she was still so enthralled with such a large city. She would have really liked to take a leisurely tour, even in spite of her quest. Everything was so busy, and so—so big. She had always through the trees at home were large, stretching way up into the sky—but here, there were buildings and pillars and towers, everywhere she turned.

Misty was pulled from her thoughts at Robikku's question. “Well, Canterlot is really a bit much for me. I'm not used to so many creatures all in one place, usually it's just mother and father and I, and the smaller forest animals. It's also a lot less open, with all the trees... I guess because there's less to hide from here.” She was of course, correct. In a city, there weren't things like bears or wolves or manticores. The forest was full of dangers, even on the best of days—but here, Misty didn't have to worry about things like that.

She realized that she hadn't told the two ponies a whole lot about herself yet. “Oh, I come from a forest, you see.” she figured the other two were residents of Canterlot, so there was no need for them to speak about their home when Misty could clearly see their living environment for herself. She didn't know just how much city ponies would know about a forest... she certainly hadn't expected a city to be quite like this, even from the descriptions she'd been told.

Misty's stomach suddenly gurgled, signaling that she hadn't had any breakfast yet despite it being afternoon now. She'd been too excited about arriving in Canterlot that it had just slipped her mind, and now she was reminded. Misty gave a nervous giggle, her cheeks gaining a bit of color. “I—I guess I was so excited to come to the city I forgot breakfast.... and lunch...” she said, noting the placement of the sun as a reference to the time.

• 2 weeks later...

miraclebanner.png

As the three walked in unison, slightly off-beat to the peryton's shorter strides, Miracle was distracted by her own imaginations of things she had encountered that day and included a hesitation for things to come later that day. She didn't even hear Robikku's question. Although as soon as Miracle could catch up with the context of Misty's dialog, it was clear it was smalltalk. But when Misty noted that hunger was getting to her, Miracle was so distracted by her routine, that without even noticing her own actions, she began chewing on another loaf of bread that she apparently had in her saddlebag. Where did this come from? Was that in my bag? Miracle was stunned and flabbergasted that she could pull off such an action subconsciously. I must have began eating as soon as Misty mentioned food. Miracle was embarrassed, not only to be randomly eating during a casual social interaction, but also that she was probably appearing pretty rude to be chowing away at her own snacks the moment Misty revealed to them her overwhelming hunger.

Miracle pulled what was left of the bread from her mouth, looked at it for a moment, and then hoofed it towards Misty's face. "Want some?"

" Heh - Miracle, I think you need to relax...I don't think anypony is gonna blame you for being yourself! " Robikku says, looking at the rather ashamed looking pony with the stick of Bread in her possession - poor girl looked so conflicted that he couldn't help but feel sorry for her. " Don't worry about a thing...! "

The pegasus paused midstep, patting the side of his muzzle in thought as he tries to think of just what they should do next - Misty and Miracle were obviously a little eager for some munchable breakfasts, and he had to admit that he hadn't necessarily started the day entirely on a full stomach either...

In that case, Robikku thought to himself, perhaps now was a good enough time to go grab some food and talk to the pair of them properly!

" Okay, I think I have the perfect idea... " Robikku says, banging his hooves together in a 'I have an idea!' fashion.

" I know a cosy bistro around here where we can go and get a little light takeaway breakfast...maybe we can have a bite to eat before we go adventuring off to the gardens... "

His eyes glance over to Miracle as he gives a small chuckle.

" And don't you worry - I don't think a light sandwich'll be a problem, and it'll be a lot more tasty than a flavourless stick of bread, don't ya think? "

• 2 weeks later...

Misty ducked her head sheepishly at the misbehavior of her stomach. She perked up as Miracle seemed to pull a surprise loaf of bread from her bag... and then began to eat it herself. Misty's head and ears drooped slightly, though she tried not to let it show. She couldn't very well ask for some—after all, this pony had procured the food of her own means, and wasn't obligated to share. But Misty could feel herself salivating as she watched Miracle eat.

Before she could reply to Miracle's offer, however, Robikku spoke up. “I, welllll...” Misty had never been to this “Bistro” thing before... but she didn't exactly carry much of anything on her, much less currency. “I don't really, uh...” Misty blushed for a moment and ducked her head. “...have any sort of...Bits. That's what it's called, right? I come from open country, where there aren't any cities... So we don't normally have a use for currency. I'll just find something when I leave Canterlot later on. But, don't let me stop you! We can still go, if you two are hungry.” she said cheerily.

• 2 weeks later...

miraclebanner.png

Miracle blushed to both Robi and Misty. She couldn't hide the fact that her stomach was showing her gluttony as well as her inconsideration for others. As she thought on this, she listened to Robikku's suggestion. Miracle's eyes watered as she yelled, "Oh yeah! Is that the bistro on Palace Way or the one on the other side of the south tower that has those brunch specials?" Miracle could recite both menus if they asked for it. As Miracle got excited, she lost focus of what she was doing and tripped. Miracle gasped as she face-planted on the century-old cobblestone path.

"Oh no!" Miracle was so disappointed. It wasn't so much that she had embarrassed herself yet again that bothered her. More importantly, she saw any slip ups or mistakes in her day as a sign of things to come. And she knew that if she wasn't careful, she would begin yet another long streak of unfortunate events. She quickly stood up straight and agreed with a concerned voice, "Yes, lets go visit the bistro."

The pegasus stopped and cantered over to lend miracle a hoof up - poor gal just seemed to be so flustered that she wasn't thinking straight, and he couldn't help but feel a tad sorry for the filly. She seemed so enthusiastic about the idea, and yet quite clearly so very uncertain...

" Well, Miss Miracle, we can go to whichever one you feel would work best! " he suggests, giving a small chuckle as the filly got back to her hooves.

" We're going for something to eat, we may as well at least go with something good, right? "

He turns to the peryton with a small smile, shaking his head slightly - She looked absolutely downtrodden about the fact that she didn't have any bits on her - he couldn't really see why, if that was how she was used to living then there really wasn't anything for her to get upset about. They would all just have to work around it as much as possible, even if he was to have to pick up the tab himself...and he didn't mind doing that, at least right now.

" Don't worry about a thing, I'll take care of the bills today - I think I should have enough bits on me to cover a small bite to eat! "

Robikku responds whilst giving a small reassuring glance at the peryton. He had no intentions on letting anypony - or anydeer - feel left out in the cold...

No - Canterlot was one of the best places to be in all of Equestria, and he'd be damned if he didn't do something to help show that side of the city today

• 2 weeks later...

Misty smiled at Miracle's antics. She seemed rather excited about this “Bistro”, though Misty herself had never been to one. Her smiled quickly vanished as Miracle took a nose dive onto the street. “Are you alright?” she asked, but the pony was quick to get back on her feet.

“O—Oh, really?” she asked, perking up in surprise at Robikku's offer. “I mean I—I wouldn't want to impose.” she looked down her hooves, shuffling them on the stone path and blushing. “I—well...you're sure it's no trouble?” Misty looked up again, inwardly scolding herself for letting her hunger get the better of her manners. She wanted to accept the offer of food, but on the other hoof, these were two stranger she'd just met. They'd already been kind enough to show her the way around, and here she was expecting them to purchase something for her.

“On...on second thought, what if we just meet up later, after you two have had lunch?” Her cheerful expression was fading, dang it she was hungry! “If you just point the way—“ Her stomach gurgled again loudly, interrupting her words. “Hush you.” she whispered, pointing a hoof at her stomach accusingly.

miraclebanner.png

Miracle was puzzled at Misty's shy responses to Robikku's generosity. Who in their right pony mind would turn down an offer for free food!? And then Miracle had heard a stomach growl. At first she assumed it was her own, but more observantly, she saw that it was the petite peryton's tummy that was rumbling up a storm. She was obviously extremely hungry. "Oh, come on don't be silly. You already said you hadn't eaten any breakfast. And we can't let you wander off into the forest where there are scary monsters and beasts that are just as hungry as you are! Let's go!" Miracle trotted double time into the direction of the bistro. She wasn't one to lead, but then again, it was her stomach that was really leading the way.

Robikku grinned slightly at the shy response to his offer - he should have known that there'd be a little resistance to his offer, since the peryton looked way too nervous to ever just take something like that without having her pride get in the way...still, he recognised that look of hunger in her eyes, and thus he was insistant to make sure that she understood that there was no need to feel ashamed of his offer.

" I know that it's a little awkward, but I assure you... " he speaks, nodding after Miracle spoke. " If you're wondering about if you'd need to pay me back or anything, I'm totally saying you don't have to. " The pegasus adds reassuringly, looking to the peryton with a small smile.

" I can tell you're in need of something to eat, and I'm not going anywhere until you accept the offer...'cause it's what a good pony DOES for somepony else in need."

He stands there with a small smirk - something would have to give eventually...and it seemed like the deers hunger was tipping the balance anyway.

Misty blushed and smiled awkwardly, ducking her head as she observed that she hadn't been the only one to hear the rumbly outburst. She really should have thought of eating before coming into town—but the prospect of seeing such as elegant city such as Canterlot had been too exciting!

The Unicorn was already on her way, and Misty shifted her hooves back and fourth nervously. But Robikku was still near, so at least she could get some idea of how to get to this “garden.” However, he was being persistent in his offer to pay for the food... and Misty had to admit that it was becoming harder to say “no” the more she was pushed to say “yes.”

Misty swallowed involuntarily, the thought of food already making her salivate. “W—Well....” Misty looked down at her hooves for a moment, and then back at Robikku. “I suppose...” she paused, still unsure of herself. “But if there's anyway I can every repay you, you have to let me know, alright?” There. That made her feel much better about accepting something for free.

miraclebanner.png

Miracle was done waiting for her hooved friends as they scuffed the cobblestone path with their shyness. At this point, she was already at the bistro when standing in front her was the waiter.

The waiter, who was very well dressed and spoke in a very formal fashion, slowly opened his eyes as he spoke. "Hello, Miss, how man-YY!" As he opened his eyes, he realized Miracle was standing in front of him and recognized her immediately. "No! I told you not to come here by yourself! The last time you didn't pay!"

Miracle smiled innocently and responded, "No worries." She pointed back at Robikku who was standing with Misty. "My friend Robikku is going to pay today. And uh, three, to answer the question."

The waiter, now powerless to do anything, showed his disgust. "Ugh, whatever. This way."

Miracle followed the waiter to the table for three that was just outside the bistro building and had a lovely designed purple and yellow awning that gave the local area a cooling shadow. Miracle could smell the pleasant aroma coming from the kitchen and it made her endorphins shake happily inside her brain.

But as she sat down at the table began looking at the menu and waited for Robikku and Misty to sit down too, she had a very uncomfortable gut feeling that made her feel like something bad was going to happen. But she did not know what it was.

Robikku watches as Misty finally relented to the idea of lunch - he exhaled in relief - he didn't wanna have to argue with the peryton all day about the idea that it was okay to take an invitation to treat now and then...although the irony of the fact being that this was more about her accepting an offer from strangers didn't really escape him. But still, he and miracle knew that there was only the intention to eat in mind here!

" Alright, that's the spirit! " he says with a small grin. " Ain't that right, Miss Miracle? "

First impressions were okay, Robikku decided - the place wasn't too fancy, and the waiter seemed like a fairly easily wound up type, and the Pegasus didn't really wanna trip anything off. The guy already looked like he was about ready to bite someponies head off, and Robikku was bemused just what had led this particular stallion to be so miserable. Regardless, They follow the him to the table, where Miracle was soon already waiting to order...

" Okay, you two... " robikku says with a chuckle. " What's good on the menu today, eh? "