It was late at night, and yet the engineering pony was wide awake as always. He was upstairs in his lab, hard at work on a great breakthrough after a “successful” journey through the painted pinto desert. His findings in perforance was astronomical, and left him lost in the numbers as he seeks out improvements, and to tackle out problems. The One large circular window inside the lab had it's curtains pulled closed. The window was locked securely in place preventing it from swinging open with the howling wind outside.

The entire lab was dark, and only lit by the one small candle that Java had placed next to his notes It was his way of keeping out distractions, and leaving him in a serene yet dark environment, free to let the imagination wonder, and his senses to enhance.

And downstairs? There was a single door leading into the house, that normally remained unlock. Java was very particular about never locking this door. Normally, the pony rarely sleeps, and he usually has plenty of interesting clients wonder in, and sometimes friends needing a place to stay for the night. Plus the pony was quite sure that anything worth of value would be incredibly difficult for any pony to steal. And really, only the most desperate ponies would try to steal such things.

Java even recalled on several accounts when he had walked into his foyer, to spot a thief trying to pick one of the locks, but failing miserably. And Java would simply shrug and walk on into his kitchen to go grab a snack.

And what of the house it's self?

The size of the house seemed humble from the outside. And really, it was origionally. Tough humble, now, would not be a proper adjective for the interior... but only the size.

If one were to describe his home's main-room with one adjective, it would be unorthodox. Uncanny, would only be a terrible understatement.

The flooring had been finished with a white outdoors marble, that had the mortar carefully sealed for what chaos was soon to come. Tearing through the flooring in the center of the room was what appeared to have been a small pond, where it's main source of water had been coming from a stream of water fed through the side of the house by a screened grate. This stream first treckles down a granite construction of black and white speckled of square blocks, that was surrounded by a large variety of evergreen plants in fertile soil just slightly below the layering of tile. The stream then flows into a moat that runs around the room in a squared spiral pattern before it finally meats the pond. Over the top of this moat was a layer of heavy duty glass to keep ponies, and other items from stepping inside the water.

Bookshelves were lined around the walls, and were laid out carefully in row in the middle of the floor. The ones in the center of the room surrounding the pond had a much sturdier look behind them. Perhaps this was due to the fact that these bookshelves were also part of an elaborate construction of a loft supporting a large round table and a few large pillows. Connecting to this lofted platform where walkways that ran across the many other bookshelves. A few small shelves hung from the ceiling, and requires one to literally walk across the many other bookshelves.

What wasn't intended to be walking space had became patches of more fertile soil, holding more evergreen shrubbery. In some places of the walls, were modified tubing that had origionally been used as plumbing, became interesting methods of decoration. Painted, and reshaped to become a sconces lighting, that also held smaller plants.

Decorating the walls were a large variety of imagery and prose. Poems that the pony loved were framed and hung on the walls. Paintings and other forms of artwork were also hunged up, non-from any real famous artist, but the pony adored them anyways. Nerdy posters of comic heroes, and some real classics were also among them. Boxes full of notes and scrolls, reference books, comics, toys, building blocks, and even some odd contraptions littered the bookshelves. Glass doors kept everything protected from it's bizzare surroundings.

The only sane construction for a home, would be the stairwell leading up to the second floor, and down to the basement level. The doors leading to the kitchen, and outside. Though the kitchen door was actually located on one of the walkways in the main room.

Xan sat on a rooftop, watching the house that was to be the location for his next job. It was interesting, usually, the reasons he was hired to break into a house. Not that he regularly asked questions like that, that would tend to set ponies on edge. He usually got these kinds of details anyways though. Apparently this house had something in it that Xan's client wanted. Of course, he had been provided with a description, so he could find the item in question.

After a quick stretch, he flew his way over to a window and hovered in front of it for a second. His instincts and his senses were telling him the room was occupied, even though it was dark. He could see a pony-shaped shadow in the room. He dropped down before he was seen, then flew around to a window on the other side of the building.

Breaking into the house was easy, and he dropped to the floor softly after climbing through the now-open window behind him. Now to find the item this pony had wanted. Xan carefully walked out of the... kitchen he found himself in, ending up on some kind of walkway over a ridiculously over-decorated entryway. Who would need an entryway like this? Seriously. Shaking off these thoughts, he began flying around quietly, searching for whatever it was that he was looking for.

The shelves were all locked tight with thick tempered glass doors. They were more display cases than anything else. As far as the entire room design went, it was almost like a maze. And the only real information that it gave about the owner of the house. Was eccentrency. It was clear that the house was not origionally intended to be designed like this. And in fact, to those knowledgeable about interior designs, they may notice that the main room was simply several rooms torn apart and combined into one larger room. After all, it did make up almost the entirety of the first floor.

And while Java worked from the upstairs, his animal companion did stir, and wake up. Yellow eyes were all that Java could see, which was complimented with a very soft rumble.

The pony took note of the disterbance and looked down to the creature. “Hmmm? What's wrong Sine, sweetie,” the pony asked with a curious note. But her eyes quickly fixated on the door leading out of the lab, and down stairs.

A few seconds more, and white teeth could be seen in the light.

Oh? Intruder... and not a guest? Oh, if that's the case, I'll give him a few seconds to find what he needs,” the pony sighed rolling his eyes. A clear look of annoyance crossed his expression.

Just more distractions... distractions... distractions...”

Xan flew along slowly, looking at the various display cases in search of the item he was supposed to retrieve. This entryway must've started as several rooms, since it was much too big to be one room unless the architect felt like wasting almost an entire floor on the entryway. Looking at the cases he passed, he noted that the glass on the display cases looked too thick to break easily, so his only option would be to pick the locks. That's what he would've done in the first place, especially with a pony in the building. Breaking the glass would make too much noise.

He came up short as he spotted an item matching the description he had been given. It was, as expected, inside one of the display cases. He floated down to be level with the lock before pulling out his tools for lock-picking and setting in on said lock. Hopefully this wouldn't take too long, he had no idea when or if that pony would come down here.

The pony did his best to ignore his companion's defensive glare towards the door. But eventually it finally got on his nerves. The pony reached out to stroke it's head to assure it that everything will be fine. His other hoof reached out for a small telescopic rod and slipped it into his vest. Just in case.

The pony let out a soft hum as he rolled off his pillow and made his way down stairs. His casual humming growing much louder as he stepped further and further down the steps. His eyes casually glancing down to the foyer to see if he can spot his guest. Likely the pony was hiding at this point, as Java made no real attempt to mask his steps.

And by the time Java reached the final landing onto the main floor. He gave his foyer a small brief glance over to see if he can find anything that may have been disturbed. Observation was something that Java always prided himself over. A good engineer or scientist would be nothing without such ability. In fact, he's gotten so good at it, he's able to remember where things should have been, and where things are now. For instance, a few loose leaves were blown out of place. Several fresh ones were lying on the white and rough marble ground a decent ways away from it's origin.

Hm... that's odd... I guess I should check the irrigation later,” The pony mumbled discerningly to himself. His hoof now lifting up to a number dial on the wall behind him and gave it a light tap. He tapped it a few times in a contemplative manner, before muttering something to himself and pushing down.

A few loud clicks rang through the air, that all came from the walls and floor surrounding them. Then finally multiple loud metallic screeches.

SSSSHRRRICH.

Portcullis bars quickly descended from the top of door and window frames, and locked into place with a Click. The door leading outside was now bared shut, and so were the windows. All whom were inside were effectively locked in, like a prison. And the outside world, kept out. This little mechanic in the house was designed by the pony himself. Origionally he meant it as a way to lock up the house when ever he finally went to sleep, or needed some privacy for mental break downs, or times when he just felt like crying in a corner. But, now he's realizing it works well at keeping ponies inside as well. Nothing short of a cannon blast will get the doors open if you don't know how the dial works.

Alright... little pony,” The pony hummed as he now trotted up to a nearby lamp, and pulled it's cord to turn it on. “Come on out, I am getting really agitated with these continuous visits from strangers, these break ins, fricken pirates, and buckin thieves.”

Xan kept at his lock-picking attempt as he attempted to get to the item underneath the glass. After a bit he almost had it, and... there it went. With a soft click, and a smirk from Xan, the case was unlocked. He carefully lifted the lid and grabbed the item at the same time the sound of humming reached his ears. The sound was progressively getting louder, and he quietly closed the case before stowing the item in his cloak and taking to the air. As the pony that had come down reached the ground floor, Xan was on the ceiling. He slunk his way towards the kitchen he had entered through, keeping himself on the ceiling using quiet flaps of his wings.

Just before he reached the window though, metal bars came down, barring any Hope of his escape as long as they were down. He kept to the ceiling as he snuck his way back to the main room. It seemed every window and door had been barred, great. He gave no response to what the pony next to the lamp said, simply watching the stallion standing there.

The pony let out a soft yawn, and shook his head some. Staying up for the week was starting to get to him, he'll need more coffee if he's going to last the next two days to see his work being done as scheduled. Wait, no... the minor distraction would likely impede any progress being made on such a project. Yes... what an annoyance this was for the pony.

Java's eyes dipped back down to the plants once more. His eyes observing it's soil. He couldn't see any hoof prints in the fertile and soft black soil. Not even the softest step would allow a filly to wade through without leaving a hoof print, much less than a full grown stallion. Yet leaves were on the ground. “Well, I suppose you are a Pegasus or Unicorn then,” Java sighed as he now wondered away from the lamp to head up the stairs to the lofted platform to the table in the center. His eyes dancing between the shelves till he noticed that one actually had a dirty hoof print over the pristine and clean glass. A closer gaze, allowed him to see an object was actually missing. But a smile crevice over the pony's mouth.

His hoof moved to tap lightly against a tray, that was lying still. His hoof then moved to slide it closer to the edge so he could bite down. And all the while, the pony never bothered to look up. In fact, the pony didn't even seem at all alarmed at the presence of an intruder.

“Well, your choice then I suppose. You can come have a friendly chat. Ooor I can simply call the guards patrolling the streets. Either way, you are perhaps the worst thief I have ever had break in.”

Java's eyes finally glanced to the side, spotting a shadow that was completely out of place. The pony raised a brow, and finally looked up, quickly spotting the pony whom was in fact the intruder. "There you are~ Would you like to come down and join me for a cup of tea? Or are you the aggressive sort?"

Xan watched the stallion carefully as he walked away from the lamp, saying something about him being a Pegasus or a unicorn. The perceptive sort... Hmm... And yet he had not looked up. One thing was strange though, this stallion seemed oddly calm about the whole thing. Most ponies would at least be mad if they caught him robbing them, this one didn't look like he cared all that much.

He continued to watch the stallion's progress, taking note of the tray he was playing around with. The worst thief? He highly doubted that. He knew he wasn't the best one out there, but he was good at what he did. If he wasn't, he wouldn't get nearly as many jobs as he did. Xan tensed as the stallion finally looked up and spotted him on the ceiling. He simply stared at the stallion as the questions came, trying to decide if he should actually answer them.

"Well, there's more reasons to keep you alive than there are to kill you, so as long as you don't attack me, we won't have a problem." Xan said, staying where he was on the ceiling for a moment longer before dropping a bit and flipping right-side up. Now in his normal orientation, he slowly floated closer until he was level with the stallion, but he still opted to float out of the pony's reach. He kinda wanted to kill this stallion for multiple reasons, but the stallion had activated the bars, so he likely knew how to get them to retract as well.

Java let light laugh after hearing his terrible guest's poor choice of words. Ah yes, just like all poor thieves behaviors. This pony may be a professional thief, choosing to steal just one particular item rather than try to clean the place. But he was still the worst one Java has seen to date. It wasn't that he was caught, all thieves will have a run of bad luck. It was simply the pony's mentality and technique that Java found humorous. His laughter was actually growing to the point when the pony began to shake the table some before he calmed down and looked back to the now descending thief.

The pony's eyes met the others in a searching gaze. He was actually attempting to read the other with that laid back happy go lucky expression of his. “Really? You see my friend, this is how you end up in prison. And die in prison. But... I don't think that will be the case for you, hm? Or.... I should say you think that anyways.”

The pony stopped talking momentairly to gently grasp hold of two glasses with his teeth, and set them down on the tray. The pony then shook his head with a light chuckle.

“Your options are slim. You have more reasons to kill me my, friend, than you do to keep me alive. But then my home will become your prison... and with your... excuse me for provoking you now... limited apparent skill... your grave.”

The pony's smile then faded as he regaurded the other pony. “Now, of course you are free to take my life, if you are strong enough. But know I will take yours without hesitation.”

The pony's smile returned as he now began to hum a cheery tune. His teeth bit down on the edge of the platter, before cantering off through the kitchen door behind himself.

Once the pony set the tray down, he placed a kettle of hot water on the stove and returned. “By the way. If you do choose to remain friendly, please disarm yourself, including of any hold outs. You are making my companion over there nervous,” The pony then gestured with a nod of the head to the stair case. A rather large tiger was prowling down the steps. Her glare dangerously fixed on the thief.

The pony then tilted his head, now letting his expression take something more nervous, “And... when she gets nervous. Things tend to get messy.”

Xan kept up a face that betrayed nothing of his emotions, noticing that the stallion seemed to be looking him over. He did give a small snort at the mention of prison. He'd been there before, he could break out again. The conversation continued, Xan growling slightly at the insult as it came again.

He simply kept floating there as the stallion took the tray into the kitchen. When he came back and told him to disarm, Xan simply stared at him, not moving past his eyes narrowing a bit. He didn't even need to look to tell there was a large animal coming down the stairs, but he looked anyways to determine what it was. A tiger? This guy is seriously strange.

"Your cat doesn't scare me, and neither does going to prison. Anyways, I'll find my way out eventually, even with these bars down." Xan said simply, keeping his eyes on the stallion.

Java shook his head some as he now plopped down into a pillow. “Well, it should my friend. Prision. Not the tiger. She just gets grumpy. Let's say I am trying to help you. Not reform you. I can tell that's beyond any possibility,” The pony hummed as he now glanced up to the ceiling in though. “I can tell you've been to prison. But there is generally a saying. When you escape once, you can't do it again. And there is truth in it.”

The pony rolled his hoof as if signaling the pony to disarm anyways, even though this stallion just told the pony he could escape. “You see... prisons learn from their mistakes. You escape one? Not to impressive. You escape twice, then you have my amazement. Because the second time you go in for a small crime. They will never let you of their sight, and they place you under higher security and limited privileges. Kill a pony, like you have been interested in tonight. Well, you go back, and your life is forfeit. They execute you my dear friend before they place you in the bars.”

The pony's eyes then rolled over to his tiger, who was now making her way up the stairs. Her eyes still trained on the pony.

“Down girl...” the engineer sighed to his pet. And in return, the tiger looked to Java, and snarled at him with a thunderous roar.

“Just because I am a soft pony, doesn't mean I am not careful,” he assured the large feline.

“Now... Mr. Thief. You said you can escape eventually? Well... I ask you to try then. If you can manage to escape, then you are free to go, with that particular item you stole,” The pony hummed with a smile.

“But if not, then I am afraid you'll just have to bare with me for a while longer.”

The pony already knew well ahead of time that the thief would need to be incredibly craft. All exits and entrances were blocked off. The house was built incredibly solid to house his lab upstairs, and withstand all sorts of damages. The bars were made out of an incredibly heavy and hard metal, making them near impossible to lift, and to time consuming and expensive to saw through.

And that dial, with eight bands of numbers, was the most beautiful part of his home. With each ring around the button, there was a sequence of numbers that acted just like a combination lock. Only it didn't need to be returned every time. But, what made it so interesting, was that the combination for the dial changes every minute. If the pony did not know the long algorithm, he would quickly learn that the listening method does not work, and merely trying to guess the password was virtually impossible.

Java designed the lock specifically for himself. A talent in math is wonderful once you take advantage of it.

Help him? What did that mean? Xan continued listening as the stallion talking about prisons learning from their mistakes. He figured they did, if they didn't they would be idiots. He barely listened to the talk about the punishments that went with each crime. He knew how the system worked, he wasn't stupid.

He did start paying attention again as the stallion called off the tiger before inviting him to try and escape. He let out a grunt, but didn't move besides crossing his forelegs in front of him.

"They can't fix their mistake if they don't know what it is." He said simply, keeping his gaze on the stallion. He stayed their in silence for a while, keeping tabs on the tiger while watching the stallion.

"How exactly do you plan to 'help' me?" Xan asked, still refusing to part with his weapons.

Java smiled, "Mmm. You're right. They don't learn. But what do you need to patch if you can keep the inmate under control." The pony then tapped the table a few times after hearing the kettle whistle, and sauntered back to the kitchen. He later returned with the hot water and a few cups full of tea leaves.

"I am an engineer. I am not a professional thief, nor do I have any real interest in crime. I just enjoy learning. And sadly, in order to better yourself, you need to see everything differently. Small things you learn somewhere else, are easily applicable to other situations. Same for you my friend."

The pony then placed the tray back down on the table and scooted it forward. "I can tell you brute force your way through things. You are armed to the thief and aggressive. Well, that's the fastest way to get caught." The pony then pointed to the book shelf down below, and sighed.

"On top of that, you've placed your client at risk. It's good you're not greedy. But if one item goes missing, and the owner knows who wants it. I am afraid you'll be out of a job. Buuut... I am not too worried. I am actually curious about how much he paid you to obtain a nick nack I picked at a gift shop," the pony hummed the last sentence with a grin.

He was actually beginning to laugh once more, and motioned for the pony to glance at it. It was a scroll tube. Though fancy. The sort you would shove important documents in to keep such things well hidden. If the Pegasus were to open it, he'd find it empty.

"It's worthless when nothing's inside of it. The idiot didn't believe me when I told him I donate my completed research to the Canterlot's Anathema for public access."

The pony then cleared his throat. "You wouldn't really find much of anything of value in my house. And the things you can, you wouldn't be able to lift or get it out of the doorway without complete dis-assembly. But once again. I am an engineer. I pride myself on making things efficient. Faster if you will. And if it means making tools or sharing knowledge for a thief? Well, then so be it."

Xan simply stared at the stallion as he talked about being an engineer. Then came talk about seeing things differently and applying small lessons in other situations. Then came talk about him.

Armed to the teeth... Precautionary measures. Besides, he didn't even end up using the weapons for their purposes most of the time anyways. Aggressive? Only when he was crossed or provoked. Hasn't the stallion noticed that he had made no movements to even attempt to attack him or his tiger? Regardless of all this going through his head, Xan voiced nothing regarding the stallion's words.

Placed the client at risk? He didn't care, as long as he got his money. It's not like he got many repeat customers anyways, and none of his clients had been arrested as far as he knew. This stupid thing could be bought at a gift shop? Why was the client getting him to steal the stupid thing then? It would be much easier taking it from the shop than from this house.

Xan looked over the scroll tube he had been payed to steal. It was empty too, great. He'd be having words with his client about the faulty intel. Some kind of research had been donated for public viewing, he didn't care. Nothing valuable in the house? Apparently nothing that could be easily transported.

"More efficient... How exactly are you planning to do that?" Xan said, referring as to the stallion's plans for making him more efficient.

"Well. For starters. The lock you were trying to pick? Well, because there wasn't anything valuable inside the shelf, I desided to go with a cheaper lock when I built it." The pony then gestured back down to one of the book shelves. "I am sure all you see is a lock? Hmm?" The pony asked with a smile, then placed his hoof back down on the table.

"I see a Smithy-Maverick Lock. They aren't known to well for security, the pins inside the chamber are also very small, about a hair through. This just makes their keys easier to produce, and cheaply too. Of course, this also means that their keys are very similar. So one trick to opening up that particular lock, is to have one key. As one key pretty much fits all of them."

The pony reached into his jacket with a hoof, and pulled out a very small key. He then placed it down on the table, and slid it across to his guest. "The other trick, and this works well with most locks found in ponies homes is that you can just rake the pins while applying a little torque. It may take one or two tries. But it will open the lock in just a second."

The pony then reached across the table to pick up the by wrapping a hoof under it's handle. He casually pulled it closer to himself, and gave it a light rock to tilt the spout downwards. Steam exited first, followed by a stream of hot water that filled the glass. A small mint scented aroma filled the air.

"Or. If that's not your style. You can break the locking bar behind the glass. It's a thin piece of metal. Take something hard, and give it a good jab and it will come off silently."

The pony glanced down to his tea for a moment, and then back up.

"The point I am getting at, is I am simply asking you to think. Learn. And adapt." The pony then pulled a small rod from his jacket, and rolled it across the table to the other.

"In return, I'll provide you some of my services if your reputation doesn't dip past the point of chaotic infamy. With what I provide you, you might be able to accomplish greater heists."

Xan listened as the pony started in on talking about the lock he had picked, saying it was a specific type of lock. He then pushed over a key, which Xan cautiously took off his side of the table. So, this key would open pretty much every lock that was like the one he had picked? Interesting.

The next thing that was said was interesting as well. Raking the pins while applying torque would open locks faster? Alright then, that could prove useful. The talk about the locking bar wasn't quite as interesting, mostly because it would only apply to display cases. He took the rod that was rolled to him anyways, just in case he decided to do that breaking the locking bar thing. The pony continued talking, saying things about providing services as long as Xan's reputation stayed above 'Chaotic Infamy'.

"Alright, so no killing, and you'll continue helping? Acceptable." Xan said, continuing to watch his new asset.

The rod Java had handed the other pony wasn't thin. It was decently thick, and with a quick flick of the wrist, it extended. It was a common telescopic blackjack often times found as a less than lethal method of defense. It was no good in stabbing, but a good few solid blows was enough to knock a pony out, or leave them cringing on the ground from the damage it can do.

"That's correct," Java hummed lightly to himself, his eyes tilting over to Sine now whom was now sitting next to the other male, glaring at Xan intensely. "That blackjack I gave you will supplement this condition better than your sword will. But like all weapons, if you don't know how to use it. you'll be better off just using your hooves."

The pony then looked back to Xan, his head tilting lightly. "As far as payment goes. That will be discussed when the time comes. Right now, my trust for you is to thin to invest greatly in you. That also goes with buisness. Once your reputation becomes more impressive, then you can come back later, and I'll provide you with better options then what you have now."

A quick examination of the rod revealed that it was actually an extendable baton-type weapon. Interesting. Xan glanced over at the tiger as it glared at him. He glared back at the cat for a few seconds before looking away from it as the stallion began speaking about Xan's new weapon.

Xan put the blackjack away as the stallion spoke of payment and how it would be discussed later before saying he didn't trust the thief enough to really invest too much. Made sense, he wouldn't give much stuff to a pony he didn't trust, if he gave anything at all. Come back when his reputation was more impressive hmm? That's how he landed all his jobs, through word of mouth due to his reputation for success.

"We done? Or is it still tea time?" Xan said simply. He never really was one for tea, and his cup remained untouched.

"Just about..." the pony hummed. His smile now disappearing as he looked down to his tea cup for a moment. He stared into it for a long while in silence as he collected his thoughts together. Sine, the tiger, remained near motionless. Her tail slowly thumping against the ground in agitation, and her muscles tense. It was almost like she was ready to strike the moment Xan made any move she didn't like. Once again, Java had mentioned that weapons tend to make her nervous. Which would likely mean that a sneeze or sudden twitch would cause her teeth to sink down onto Xan's throat.

Java on the other hand. Felt rather comfortable. Even though that just ahead of him was a thief whom openly showed that he wasn't above killing was only a hair shy from him. He was actually gauging if it was even worth the effort to give this pony such a chance. After all, a prison escapee tends to think only for himself. Just as he did after plainly exposing the client he was working for.

Java sighed, and looked up. His tone now taking an uncharacteristic dangerous note. A heavy contrast from his happy go lucky, and litting nature. "Now then. Under the terms that I have placed. If I learn that a sentient creature was murdered, or killed in the act of self defense without a real good reason. And trust me when I say cornered doesn't count. I will cut you off, and leave you as open game. Do not underestimate what I am capable of."

The tone was now dropped after a small clearing of the throat. The pony's smile was back. A genuine smile like it has been the entire night. "Of course, if you do not accept the terms of conditions. You can so now, and you will be let off free with impunity for past actions. But if you wish for better, and more interesting hiests and possibilities. I do recommend taking the offer."

Xan gave a non-committal grunt as the stallion essentially said they were not done before simply staring into his tea cup. For a bit, the only sounds in the house were those from the tiger's tail hitting the floor and those from Xan's wings as they kept him airborne. Aside from his wings, he was completely motionless, highly aware of both the tiger and the stallion.

Eventually, the relative silence was broken by the stallion sighing before speaking in a voice that carried a note of danger to it. Xan rolled his eyes slightly as the stallion restated that there was to be no killing of sentient creatures without a good reason, being cornered apparently not on the list. The stallion threatened to cut him off if he broke said rule, which would just leave him where he was before he entered this house. After changing his tone back to what it had been for most of the conversation, the stallion said he could decline the terms and leave, or he could accept them and get better jobs.

"I accept your terms. Seems easy enough to follow." Xan said, his gaze locked on the stallion. He didn't like being ordered around, but he could endure this little rule for a return like the stallion was promising. Besides, he hadn't killed anypony as of yet. Injured? Sure, of course, but they had all survived as far as he knew. He had yet to need to kill any guards or such, and he avoided doing so simply because that would only bring more heat down on him than simple thievery did. That heat wouldn't be worth whatever satisfaction or convenience he would get from killing.

The pony's eyes glanced up to the clock on the wall. His eyes twitched momentarily as a quick equation ran through his head, and landed with the results. Once he got what he needed, the pony slowly stood up and began to trot past Xan, to his tiger. He'd give her a quick boop on the head with his chin to signal for the large feline to stand down.

She looked to her owner in distaste for amoment, but did as he pleased. Her head dipping low as she now back pedaled away from Xan. "I am giving you these rules now. Because with better jobs. Your risk becomes higher. If you can't grow out of the "It's just me" mentality. Then I am afraid you won't make it far as a thief."

The pony hummed as he now sauntered up to the dial on the wall. He twirled it around for a few moments to a new sequence of numbers.

But instead of releasing the bars immediately, the pony waited with his eyes casually glancing back to the clock every now and then.

"I like thieves. I enjoy hearing their stories. Their crafty little buggers. But what really makes them more interesting, is that they usually do it for th challenge. Not to get rich." The pony shrugged a bit and then turned around. "That being said. I am not giving you jobs. just knowledge and tools. Weather or not you take on bigger jobs, or freelance is your own thing. But I will warn you now. Do not take on major heists alone. Depending on your mark. You may find it being impossible to get anywhere. So make nice with the local thieves guild."

Xan simply watched the stallion as he walked past and got the tiger to back off before speaking about how better jobs came with more risk. He figured as much, that's how these things work usually. He pointedly ignored the next statement about his mentality. He had no problem with being part of a group. In fact, he had done so before, only that the rest of the group but him and one other were stupid enough to get themselves caught, and he wasn't about to go to their rescue, as that would've likely just led to his capture.

He watched the stallion approach the dial and input some numbers, 003489812 by the looks of it. Though the stallion kept looking at the clock, so either he was expecting something to happen soon, or it was a time-sensitive code. The second possibility seemed more likely to him. The stallion revealed that he liked thieves, especially those that did it for the challenge, not to get rich. Well, it wasn't like Xan actually did much with his money, he had no reason to. He did it more for the fun and excitement than anything. Eventually, the stallion finished by telling him to make nice with the thieves guild. He was planning on it. Having membership in a group dedicated to thieves sounded like a good thing for him.

"You going to activate that before it goes bad?" Xan asked simply, still not moving from his position in mid-air.

"In just a bit," The pony hummed as the second hand now approached the large twelve on the analogue clock. The pony then pressed down on the dial, and slowly began to trot up the stairs. Once the lock had been depressed, the walls made a loud click, and a low rumble. The bars that were previously dropped had all clicked and quickly retracted back to the housing that they had fell from. Once more, all the exits were open again, letting the inhabitants be free once more, and the outside world to come in.

Java stopped half way up the stairs and looked over his shoulder. "Oh yeah. If you are looking for a quick hit. I hear that some one important is in Manehatten. A celeberty? I am not sure on the details. They are staying in a pent house from what the rumors are. I am sure you can imagine which hotels are the possibilities. As far as narrowing things down. Eh... I'd look for some security. Not the normal pony. Some macho guys. I have a friend over there who may know more than me. It'll be best if you check in with him first."

Xan sighed as the stallion delayed even longer. He didn't know when the code would expire, but it seemed like the stallion was trying to wait until just before the limit. Just before trotting up the stairs, the stallion activated the code, raising the bars and leaving the exits free. Finally, he could get out of here and have a word with that client.

He had begun heading to the window he had entered through when the stallion began talking again. That wouldn't have stopped him, but what was said did make him stop and listen. A celebrity in Manehatten? Could be a good score. Deserves a look, at the least.

"Interesting. Looks like I'll be heading home then. Now then, who's this friend of yours?" Xan said without looking back at the stallion on the stairs.

The pony pursed his lips together at the question. Then the pony just hummed softly to himself. The lad seemed smart enough. So he could probably figure out a mystery. Or draw enough attention to himself that the Griffon may find him.

"Look for Erudite. He'll be in the warehouse district of the city, where the streets don't sleep."

Archived