Heat Wave (Private ATTN: IceStormX)

Lux

It was a very hot summer day in Canterlot, hotter than most days. A blue Pegasus filly trudged down the cobble stone streets looking for any sign of relief from the weather. Snow Dancer, whose talent was manipulating snow had a love for cool weather. She normally didn't have a problem with summers although she found herself typically more uncomfortable and lacking her typical energy and bounce in her step than she would on any other day but this.

"So hot," she said as she unfurled her wings but quickly closed them after realizing that she was too tired to fly, "I need to find someplace cool before I pass out."

As if by a miracle the filly saw in front of her a snow cone store. Surely anything with the word "snow" in it would be better than the inferno she felt herself in. Using the last of her strength she trotted to the store and pushing open the door just flopped inside, feeling like a snow pony that just melted.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Icybanner_zps47801f3d.png

It was by far one of the hottest days that Ice Storm had felt in a very long while, and the fact that this was coming to them on the top of the mountain, she began to wonder just how hot it was in Ponyville right about now. "Actually, on second thought, if it's this hot here, then I don't really want to think of it being hotter," she said to nopony in particular as she just held herself at the counter. She wasn't as busy today as she had expected to be, but she could understand why. She had only been open for about a week at this point, so not many probably knew that she was back yet. The other reason was actually because of the heat itself. With heat like this, many ponies, including herself would rather stay indoors so that they don't have to brave the elements at all. That being said, she had to be open today because if there were any ponies that were walking around in this heat, they would need a place to come in and cool off.

Almost as if on cue, she heard the bells of her shop ring as the doors open, and what she saw... was actually somewhat frightening. Not that the young filly that was walking through the door. No, not her at all, in fact, Ice had to do a double take to make sure that she hadn't cloned herself and redyed her mane. No, the pony herself wasn't scary at all. However, the fact that this pony opened the door and instantly dropped like a boulder down the side of a mountain greatly frightened her. Without thinking, Ice moved from behind her counter and moved the pony with her magic just enough to get her away from the door. She closed the door and used a bit of her Ice magic to seal at the very least the left door shut temporarily to keep as much of the cold air in the building as possible. She quickly super-chilled the floor underneath the mare hoping that this would help her. Of course there was always the chance that the mare collapsed from something completely unrelated to heat. However, considering that Ice Storm saw that this mare had a snowflake for a cutie mark and that Ice Storm herself would have severe issues if she were out in this heat for any considerable amount of time, it was easy for her to presume that this was the issue at hand.

After she chilled the ground under the mysterious mare, she moved back behind the counter for a few moments and grabbed a bowl of water and levitated it over and made a blanket of snow to place on the pony to help cool her down. "Alright... I think it's time to speak with the weather team because when the heat is starting actually cause injuries, then it's getting too hot, and we're on top of a mountain," she said to herself thinking out loud. She pulled over one of the ice block chairs and sat in it to wait to see if the pony would come to soon.

The filly was too tired from the overwhelming heat to react let alone move when she felt the unusual tingling sensation of magic enveloping her body and being moved involuntarily. Snow Dancer knew that even as a filly there were places where ponies of a certain type congregated. Just as Cloudsdale had almost all Pegasus ponies Canterlot appeared to have a great many unicorns there. Maybe a unicorn found her.

Still too weak to find her would be savior, Snow then felt a cooling sensation that radiated through her body from the surface below. It felt like a cool cloud she would lay on at nights and watch the stars, only it wasn't soft but a hard surface.

"Wha... where am I?" Snow said as her eyes fluttered open slowly, showing an obscure view of some place, only oddly covered slightly in ice and a mare who had a similar coloring to her but a unicorn instead of a Pegasus looking down at her.

"Who are you? Did you rescue me from the heat?"

With each passing moment that went by, Ice could feel the tension in the air that was building. For being the only two in the shop, it was a lot thicker than anypony would have figured it would be. That was of course until the filly began to move around and Ice watched her eyes open. She quickly let out a sigh of relief as the younger mare asked if she was the pony who saved her from the heat. "My name is Ice Storm, and you're in my shop Frozen Delight's. You made it just inside my door before you passed out from the heat. I used my ice magic to make the snow blanket, and the super-chilled floor that you're laying on in an attempt to lower your body temperature to the proper range," she smiled before realizing she may have been too wordy with her answer, clearing her throat a bit before nodding. "I mean, yes. I'm the one that saved you from the heat. Would you like some water or a snow cone to help cool off a bit more?" she asked levitating both over to them depending on the one she chose, or both if she wanted them.

The mare gave an explanation about what happened, most of which went over the filly's still foggy mind. She could tell that the pony was very smart and very good at her magic.

"Oh, thank you. I'm usually ok with the summer but I guess it was too hot outside for me. My mom says that it has something to do with my talent, that the cold doesn't bother me but the heat bothers me more than others. I don't know why and mom doesn't either but it does. Nice for you to have magic to create snow and ice."

The filly tried standing slowly, the blanket of snow slipping off and onto the iced ground. She took a step but her legs buckled and she fell onto the floor again.

"Guess I'm not rested yet. I think I'll sit on the floor."

As the pony sat, she noticed the two things that Ice storm had. One was a glass of water and the other was a curious thing called a snow cone.

"That's called a snow cone? I think I'll have that," the filly said as she took it and licked it feeling the instant effect. It was strange doing so as she wasn't a filly to go around eating snow no matter how much she loved it.

"Oh and I'm Snow Dancer but you can call me just Show if you wish."

The young mares explaination to her that she was normally fine in the summer, with exception to days like this reminded her a lot of another pony that she knew quite well. The mare recollected her mother telling her that because of her affinity to the cold and her special talent, she was perfectly comfortable in the cold, but the heat had about double the effect on her. She also smiled when the filly grabbed the snow cone and licked a bit off of the side. "Well Snow, so far you remind me a lot of myself. Like you, I don't do well in the warmth of summer. As a mare of ice myself, I can personally tell you that won't really get better as you age. At least, it hasn't with me." she smiled as the mare tried to stand up only to plop back on the floor.

"As far as everything else goes, that snow cone comes in a variety of flavors. That one was a bit hastily made so that we could get you cooled down, and there is one other thing that I could do for you as well. I don't know if the magic would have a similar effect on you as it has on me but," she said using a bit of her magic to create a small layer of ice over her, covering her body completely yet allowing freedom of movement. "This is a little trick I learned on the super hot days at the academy. I actually learned it served two purposes. The first is it serves as a personal coolant. I found out that it also worked as a type of armor when I fell down some steps with it on. The ice shattered, but I was perfectly fine. If you'd like, I could try creating some ice around some of the more vital parts of your body to increase the cooling process," she smiled.

"Well Snow, so far you remind me a lot of myself. Like you, I don't do well in the warmth of summer. As a mare of ice myself, I can personally tell you that won't really get better as you age. At least, it hasn't with me."

The more that she got to know the mare, the more Snow realized that she has a kindred spirit. It wasn't like everyday the Pegasus met ponies who liked the cold like her, not to mention manipulating ice. Her ears did however droop as she hears that her condition possibly wouldn't go away.

"Awww.... I thought that I'd grow out of my problems with the heat. Well if I have to have it as a mare then that's ok. I'll just have to be extra careful during these hot days."

Snow gladly accepted the snow cone, but then again at this point she'd gladly accept a bucket of ice water dumped on her head to cool off. The snow cone, although not flavored, tasted refreshing.

"I like this snow cone. You said that you flavored it right? What flavors do you have?"

Before getting an answer the filly suddenly saw Ice Storm's body have ice appear and grow on it. It was amazing seeing the mare sparkle as the light of the sun through the windows caught the ice just right.

"Wow, this feels nice. I've never seen a pony encased in ice like this, but then again I've never seen anypony encased in ice period. I wish I knew some of this magic, then I could keep myself cool and safe especially from crashing. I guess you can say I'm not the best at flying. So did you find your talent on a hot day like this? Oh, and can you try that spell on me?"

Ice gave a warmhearted smile to the filly when her ears drooped back upon her saying that the vulnerability to the heat wouldn't really go away as she got older. It did make her feel a bit bad on the inside to have mentioned it to the filly, but from her own experiences it's better to know that it may not get better and to do something about it, than to just expect it to and let it be. She had multiple things that she could relate to on that note, but that was neither here nor there. Thankfully she didn't take it too hard, and said that she'd have to be mindful of the heat, even if she was hoping that she would grow out of that. "Who knows, you may have better luck growing out of it than I did. I'll be hoping for you," she smiled as they moved on to the topic of snow cones. She asked about what flavors she had.

"Well, to be honest, it would probably be easier to list of flavors I don't have. I have every fruit that I could think of, plus any mixture of them. Though still the most common snow cone I sell is raspberry. It seems to be the flavor that everypony enjoys the most because of how sweet it is. My personal favorite is it's close cousin strawberry. Anything strawberry related will be gone in ten seconds flat around me," Ice giggled. "Aside from my snow cone syrup. I know better than to eat all of that myself," she laughed a bit more before talking about the spell that she had cast on herself. She stated that she'd never seen another pony encased in ice before. She then asked if it was on a hot day like this that she discovered her talent for Ice and if she could cast the spell on her to which Ice nodded.

Without too much effort at all, she lit up her horn once more and made a similar thin layer of Ice over the filly, though avoiding her wings. That was one area she always made sure to avoid on pegasi, just as she got a bit finicky herself whenever there was somepony else around her horn that she didn't know or trust. It was just something that was a vital part to her lively hood just as she was sure these wings were to the filly. "There you go! I avoiding the wings because I know how sensitive they are and I didn't want to risk damaging them in any way," she said with sincerity. "As far as how I found out about my talent, it was actually the opposite. I was born in Fillydelphia, and it rarely snowed there, or even got cold, so I never really knew about my affinity with Ice until I left. I actually discovered my talent during a blizzard I got trapped in on my way to Canterlot. I don't remember much, but I felt a large amount of magic surge through my body, or at least what felt like a large amount. When I woke up, I was in an igloo, and the storm outside was calm. Every since then I've been working on my manipulation of Ice and snow. I've gotten to the point to where I can freeze almost any amount of water if given enough time to do so." she smiled.

Snow Dancer's mood lightened a little when Ice Storm offered hope that perhaps she may be free of the effects high heat had on her body. The filly knew it could be either way, but having an adult only give you the negative outcome made her feel like there was no alternative.

"Phew, I'm glad that there's a chance," Snow said a little more relaxed as the topic shifted from something more fun: snow cone flavors. As Ice mentioned the flavors, or flavors that she didn't have, Snow Dancer's mind searched through all the fruits she knew of, and there were many! There were the regular ones like apples, pears and oranges to the more exotic like the kiwi or coconut.

"I actually like blueberry as my favorite fruit, maybe a banana at times. Never had these or any fruits in a snow cone before, but then again mom told me it was strange to eat snow off the ground so I don't do so."

Snoww Dancer then felt a tingling sensation as magic worked around her body. It was strange being encased in ice, feeling like she had a cold wet blanket that encased her body. It certainly cooled off her already cool body, a relief from what she was out in the heat. It was interesting to learn about how Ice Storm got her cutie mark not in the heat but in the cold.

"Hey, thanks for the ice coating. You know, how you got your cutie mark reminds me of how I got my cutie mark! I was playing outside in the snow like I normally did in Cloudsdale when a big blizzard appeared. At first I was scared that I'd get lost, never to see my friends or parents but then I realized that I've been playing in snow all my life! I then found some of my friends who also were scared and I helped them not be frightened of the snow by playing with them. When the blizzard was over I realized that I got my cutiemark!"

With that the filly proudly turned to display her snowflake cutie mark.

"So why were you going to Canterlot in the first place? Were you going on vacation during the winter?"

Ice Storm smiles and giggled a bit when the filly told her that her mother said that it was rather strange to eat snow off of the ground, so she never did so. She then thanked her for the ice coating around her, stating that the way that she had gotten her cutie mark reminded her of how the filly got her own. She told her the story about how she was playing with her friends in Cloudsdale in the snow when a blizzard came and she had to help calm her friends down, reminding them that they had been playing in the snow their entire lives. She then turned to show the snow flake cutie mark on her flank, enticing another smile from the icy mare. She also mentioned that her favorite fruit was blueberry, and without a second more of hesitation, she levitated another snow cone over to the filly somewhat of a deep purple in color that had blueberry syrup for the flavoring. "I think that you might like this one better then," she giggled.

The question that the filly asked next kinda delved into a personal area of Ice's past, but she knew that she wasn't trying to be pick. She was merely curious like all foals were, and coming here on vacation seemed like a logical conclusion to jump to. Ice gave a somewhat empty smile and shook her head. "I was actually moving here after some issues I encountered in my birthplace. I didn't want to deal with the issues anymore, or the hurt from them so I came here to the Academy, then moved to Ponyville for a bit. Now I'm back," she finished, her smile at the end more sincere than when she started the explanation. After all, she can't really keep dwelling on it, and so while it was a rough beginning, so many good things came from it. "How about yourself? You move here from Cloudsdale as well?" she cheerfully added.

Snow Dancer watched Ice Storm as she gave her response about how she got her snowflake cutie mark. It was something that the filly took pride in, especially having the event happen a short time from the present. She wondered if the mares and stallions regarded getting their cutie marks as much when they were older as they did when they were her age. She was happy though that at least the unicorn in front of her didn't forget her experience.

"You know, now that I look back at it, I don't really know why I got my cutie mark then. I was just doing what I normally did, playing in the snow. Sure there was the blizzard but it wasn't that bad. All I had to do was not be scared of it. Maybe it wasn't the fact that I played in the snow but that I had the courage to not fear it."

Pomdering what she said the filly almost missed seeing the blueberry flavored snow cone in front of her. The Pegasus squeed with delight and taking it in her hooves, taking care not to let it slip out as her hooves were encased in ice, and gave it a lick. '

"Mmmm! Wow, this tastes great, like blueberry pie! Thanks Ice."

A few minutes later the treat was gone save for the paper cone. The filly's mouth now sported a dark blue ring like some icy lipstick and her once pink tongue was now blue as well. Savoring those last moments the filly noticed that Ice mentioned a bad time in her life that made her leave her hometown for Canterlot. The filly knew from her parents not to pry especially if it was a bad moment in a pony's life unless they said it first.

"Sorry to hear you had a bad time. One thing I don't understand, you said you were in Canterlot then left for Ponyville and now are here. Why did you move and come back? Were you looking for a different place to sell your ice? Oh and i was born and raised in Cloudsdale and I still live there. I just wanted to visit Canterlot but I guess it was the wrong time being so hot. Speaking of Canterlot..."

With that the filly placed the empty snow cone paper cone on her forehead and exclaimed, "Look, I'm the Princess of Snow!"

"Cutie makes work in mysterious ways sometimes. I probably wouldn't have ever gotten mine if I hadn't come to Canterlot originally because as I said before, it never really got cold in Fillydelphia so I never knew that I could control Ice like I can. Perhaps it was because you were so used to the snow and that you weren't scared of it that you were just destined to work with snow. Which is actually quite a broad field. I mostly use my magic to make snow cones, but it comes in handy in many ways," Ice smiled at the filly when she commented that she didn't understand why her cutie mark appeared when it did. That seemed to be true about most actually, because cutie marks were incredibly hard to explain. Her friend Pressy was another example of this.

The filly's eyes seemed to light up though when she brought out the blueberry flavored snow cone. Ice couldn't help but giggle as she watched the filly eat the snow cone in only a matter of minutes, stating that it tasted like blueberry pie. It seemed the filly was very pleased with this as the remnants of the snow cone could be seen on her lips. She could imagine what the fillies tongue looked like inside. The filly then said that she was sorry to hear that she had such a bad time before, but she didn't understand why she left Canterlot before and the decided to come back. "Well, aside from the academy, and what friends I had there, I didn't really have anything tying me to Canterlot, and I didn't really get along that well with the nobleponies here. As far as whet I'm doing back, aside from opening up this shop during the day, I also received a job position from a very important pony at night, although I'd rather not go into it because I don't want ponies to think that I'm more important than I actually am, or start asking for favors..." she said thinking of how many ponies would instant become her friend just so that they could get a favor from her to talk to Luna for them. No, that's not how she wanted to be seen at all.

Then the filly showed a bit of excitement when she placed the cone on her forehead and proclaimed that she was the princess of snow. Ice Storm let out a small giggle and played along. She knelt down to one knee to show her respect to the princess. "It is an honor Princess of the Snow, for you to visit my humble establishment. I hope it is cold enough for your likings," Ice smiled before rising back up and looking at the filly with a smile. "Is there anything that I can do to accommodate thee, princess?"

As Snow Dancer listened to Ice Storm's theories about getting one's cutie mark. It was indeed a strange concept that few knew fully about, especially a filly. Still there was something that made her wonder.

"So if you hadn't moved to Canterlot then perhaps you wouldn't have found your talent? I wonder if I were somewhere without snow if I'd get my cutie mark in something else. And you said that snow is complex. I know it has many uses, but complex?"

The conversation continued as Ice explained not feeling a strong tie to Canterlot mixed with negative experiences. It was sad to see a pony like her have bad experiences happen, but it appeared that there was at least a happy conclusion. One thing that did interest her was a mysterious pony that met Ice at night. For the filly night time usually meant home time, for dinner and games and reading with her parents and eventually a good night's sleep.

"Well this mystery pony does seem interesting. I'd be a little scared though meeting somepony at night, but then again I'm usually home at night. This pony must be special though."

She giggled seeing the mare bow before the "princess" asking her what to do next.

"Well, it is an honor to make your acquaintance," Snow said in her attempt at a regal sounding voice, "The cold is indeed to my liking. I do have one request of you though. Do you want to watch it snow in your place?"

Ice nodded when the filly said that she may not have found her cutie mark if she hadn't moved to Canterlot. "It was very much a distinct possibility, or at the very least visited somewhere that was could when it was so," she said as the filly, continued. She said that she found the mystery pony quite interesting, though she would be afraid of meeting somepony at night. Ice couldn't blame her. For the most part she would be skeptical about it as well if it hadn't been for the fact that the pony in question was one of the royal sisters. If she couldn't trust Princess Luna during the night then who could she trust?

Those thoughts were washed away though as the play took over. The filly's voice shifted as she went into 'princess mode', telling Ice Storm that it was an honor to make her acquaintance. She was pleased when she said that the cold was to her liking but looked a bit perplexed as the filly asked if she wanted to watch it snow in her place. "Oh, that would be lovely, I never actually thought about having actual snowfall in here, but that would make the setting of this shop even better! This might be something I have to implement later if I like how it works," she smiled.

The filly smiled hearing that it was a good choice being in Cloudsdale at that right time when it stormed to get her mark. She wondered if it was a happy accident or if perhaps there was fate involved. She didn't know but perhaps it was a little of both, fate and coincidence working together to bring her to the receiving of her cutie mark. But then Snow remembered her mother saying to her "When you receive a blessing like getting your cutie mark, does it matter how you got it?"

Her attention turned to her "princess duties" namely of bring snow to a world without one in this shop. It excited her that maybe this would be a long term thing at Ice Storm's snow cone shop.

"Ok well stand back. I'm going to need a little room for this."

With that the filly spread her wings and stood near where the blanket of snow now lay in a pile of white. The pony then closed her eyes and slowly began to dance as if some melody was in her head. As she spun the force of her wings caused a draft that lifted the snowflakes into the air until they too spun in a spiral around her and Ice Storm. She changed directions occasionally as the snow followed in an erratic and yet beautiful pattern. finally she opened her eyes and slowed as the snow hovered in the air.

"And that is how you make it snow," she said taking a bow.

Snow Dancer's Theme and the song she hears in her mind while dancing.

A smile crept along Ice Storm's face as she backed away from the filly at her request so that she may have the space that she needed in order to bring about the snow in her shop. She began to start dancing to a tune that was denounced to Ice Storm, as she was fairly certain that it was only playing in the filly's head as she herself could not hear anything. She watched as the blanket of snow that was around the filly at first because to crumble into a pile as she spread her wings the pile of snow started to disintegrate into individual snowflakes and began to dance their way around the shop following the movements of the filly in front of them. It was quite impressive that she was able to control the snow so well at such a young age, but then again, Ice presumed that was why she had a snowflake for her cutie mark.

"I have to say that was one of the most amazing things that I have ever seen. It's no wonder why you are the princess of snow," she smiled still playing off of the princess aspect that the filly started and gave her a smile. Ice was then trying to think of a way that she could assist as well before bringing water from her tap over and used her magic to create even more snow for the filling to dance and control. To anypony else that would come in from the outside, it would look as if there was a blizzard inside her shop. To which, she couldn't really deny that there actually was, but it was a controlled blizzard, and one she would much rather be in than what the temperature was outside. Shoot, as far as she was concerned, everything was better than what was outside at the moment. "So what else can you do with the snow princess?"

"Thank you," the filly said as the snow still fell, "I'm glad you like my dancing. I practice it every day, especially when it snows. I can't actually make snow, not yet really. But I can like you see make the snow move. I guess having wings helps move the snow around in the sky."

Ice Storm gladly added to the magic by creating her own snow, making the blizzard fill the room to the point that Snow could barely see the mare.

"Hang on, let me fix this so we can see each other," she said as she flew around the room in a circle, pulling the snow with her until it became a tornado of white. As she touched down the blue unicorn asked her what other snow related things she could do.

"Well I can do lots of things with snow, make it move in different patters, create snow ponies, go sledding. Really anything! Did you know you can wish on snow too?"

Ice Storm giggled as the blizzard in her shop arrived to the full force. With a bit of help from the filly, she felt they made a blizzard that cold rival one of the ones she's been in here. At least, on a smaller scales as the snow began to accumulate on all of her tables, the floor, and all the like. She couldn't help but think of somepony's reaction if they walked by or even tried to come into the shop and have a snow storm envelope them as they tried to come in through the door. It was a thought that made her giggle for sure. When Snow began to speak about what she was actually able to do with the snow that was around her and that she was making, she was impressed. For a filly of such young age, she could actually do quite a lot. She explained that she couldn't make snow yet, but she could shape it and move it around.

"Hehe, well, you won't have to worry about not being able to make it when your around me. I can make the snow, and you can make it do whatever you'd like. I'd say we're a pretty cool team," Ice giggled at her pun. "I'm actually quite impressed, and I'm sure that in a few years time you'll have mastered the art of making snow as well. Then think of all the fun you could have with the snow! Hot days like today will no longer be an issue for you, as at the very least you can make it start as snow and have a way to make it rain on you to help cool off," she smiled. "Although I never really knew that you could wish on snow, although it does explain a rather chance meeting that I wouldn't have ever thought probable of having," she added thinking back to the blizzard that was around the night that she had met Luna. She began to wonder if there was a bit more behind what was going on. Perhaps fate had something in store for her soon. She hoped it wasn't anything too unusual.

Snow Dancer stopped dancing, the haunting song fading away as if it disappeared in the snow. She was pleased to see that Ice Storm regarded her talent as something amazing. She giggled at the corny yet fun joke that the mare made as Ice spoke of the future for the filly.

"Yep, we definitely make a good team. You really think that I'll soon be good enough to make snow? Oh, I really want to do that! That's actually what I want to do in the future, working in the Weather Factory making snow for the winter. You know that the snow is all carefully hoof made so that no two are alike. That's what I can see doing as I'm not so bad making things like snowflakes out of paper in school. And keeping cool in the summer would be nice too."

The filly noticed that the unicorn spoke fondly about a chance meeting, and she could only guess it was tied to the blizzard that still fell slowly in the store.

"Well my mom taught me that just like you can wish on a star you can also wish on snow. And if you really wish for something it'll come true. In fact, I think I remember that right before that blizzard that I found my cutie mark I actually wished on a few flurries to get my mark. Guess my wish was granted huh? Hey, what happened to your chance encounter? Did you get caught in a blizzard like I was? Did you meet somepony there?"

The young filly seemed to pick up on how good of a team they made as well. Perhaps she could offer the filly a job here if it were okay with her parents. She could create snow for her to dance around and make it quite soothing as she just had. She knew that most of her customers would enjoy that experience and that it would add to the atmosphere of the shop a bit more. She was quite certain that her shop would be the only one like it that actually had snow falling inside of it year round. She made a mental note to ask the filly before she left the shop about it. She also mentioned that her mom told her that just like a pony could wish on a star, a pony cold wish on snow as well, and if they really wished for something, it would come true.

She then asked about her chance encounter, and Ice smiled and let out a small sigh. This little filly was quite intelligent and asked if it was caused by the snow and if she had gotten trapped in a blizzard like she was before asking if she met somepony there. Ice finally relented, figuring that she could trust the filly to keep quiet about everything enough. "I'll tell you about it, but you have to promise not to tell anypony else. I don't want ponies thinking I'm more than what I am. It was indeed a blizzard that I got stuck in during the chance encounter that I had. That of itself seems to be a common trend for me, as everything good that happens to me, tends to involve snow or ice in some sort of fashion. I was sleeping in the park after a gala. I had misheard the weather for the night and at the time, I didn't really have the bits for a hotel, so I went to my favorite spot in the park and stargazed until I fell asleep.

When I woke up, I could barely see anything the snow was coming down so hard. I knew at that point I had to try to get to a hotel to at least stay in the lobby until the snow stopped. So I began to move and start heading towards the exit of the park, or at least, so I thought. I ended up walking and finding myself on the doorstep of the palace, and as I got closer, I saw the door was already open and Luna was standing in the doorway ushering me inside. My only thought was she saw me approaching through the snow, which, was a feat of in itself. The night went on, the princess, myself, and another pony talked about a few things, we even played a game! The storm never relented, which made me nervous at first because of a certain issue I have that I... had to make known to the princess before I could agree to stay in good conscious. Afterwards though, Luna talked to me a bit more, only to reveal that I was to be one of her new stewardesses, although I haven't really been able to do anything for her yet, as I just got moved back and I haven't been able to speak with her since. I do hope to change that soon," she smiled to the filly as she finished recounting the story.

Snow Dancer liked the idea of being a team. For the first time she met an older pony who shared a common bond with her, not just in their talent but their personality. She could imagine ponies entering the store and finding themselves in a winter wonderland where Ice could sell her tasty treats. Although she wasn't sure, the filly saw this as yet another thing she could do with her snow dancing ability.

It was a simple question that the curious pony asked about what happened to the blue unicorn. After all, Snow was asked the same thing about how she got her mark. The filly didn't want to pry, but she wanted to know more about her host. She did look hesitant to reply which made the filly wonder. Did something bad happen to the mare or one of her friends?

"I'll tell you about it, but you have to promise not to tell anypony else. I don't want ponies thinking I'm more than what I am."

Snow Dancer nodded, in accepting the promise, not sure what she was truly agreeing to keeping secret. It was strange as the mare began her tale how she was so poor that she could not afford a hotel or have friends in the city to stay with. She did though appear to enjoy sleeping under the starts which was something else Snow felt a bond with her about their mutual interest in the stars. The biggest surprise came when she met none other than Princess Luna who offered her a fun night of games, cocoa, and even a chance to stay the night along with another pony who was lost in the storm. Her jaw dropped when she heard of Ice Storm's new position, one expression that remained so for a few minutes of silence.

"Oh my gosh!" the filly squealed as she bounced up and down, "You actually got to meet Princess Luna, and she gave you a job! Oh wow that's so amazing! I wish I was in that same storm so I could just meet the Princess. I really like her. Sometimes when I'm watching the stars in Cloudsdale I imagine her coming down from the sky and saying hello to me and then I could dance for her in the snow! But what about the other pony that you said came to the castle? Did she get to be a stewardess like you?"

• 2 weeks later...

Ice Storm let out a small smile when the filly had the reaction about like she expected a filly to have. It was full of happiness and shock that she got to meet the princess and was curious about everything, even asking about the other mare that was with them and if she got to become a stewardess as well. "I sure did!" she replied with the filly asked about her getting to meet Luna and Luna giving her a job. "Although like I said, I'm still no more than a humble Ice mare. I can't really do anything more or less and I don't even know entirely what my job entails yet." she answered. "As far as the other mare that was with us, she was a fire mage, but I can't say that I know whether or not Luna had extended the same courtesy to her or not. I actually feel kinda bad about it. I don't want ponies thinking that I'm more important than I actually am." she smiled.

"How about yourself though? Have you finished school yet or are you still attending class? Perhaps if your out of school, I can speak with your parents to see if you would like to come and work in my shop by helping create snow storms like this," she smiled as she offered the position to the mare. "And if you are still in school we can arrange it to be on the weekends, and you can get paid for having fun," Icy smiled as she finished the offer.

It was a wondrous experience that Ice Storm told the filly. In Snow Dancer's mind she pictured herself in the mare's role of being a stewardess, helping the Princess preparing for the spell, announcing her arrival at an event, even watching the stars at night. Still there was some trepidation on Ice Storm's part as she wondered why she was chosen.

"I think Princess Luna saw something in you beyond just being able to create ice. Maybe it was the fact that you're smart and kind. My parents told me when I asked them why I was born liking snow and why I got my cutie mark for it. They said that when somepony is given a gift you don't need to ask why it was sent, only to appreciate that you have it."

The filly could tell that the fate of Ice Storm's friend was left in question. She could only imagine the worry of wondering what the friends was thinking or feeling like that the blue unicorn denied the other a chance.

"Don't worry. I'm sure your friend got something. At least she's still your friend, right? You said she can make fire. Sorry for asking this but how do you two get along? I mean you make ice and she makes fire."

The filly squeed with delight hearing that Ice had a job for her and asked if she was still in school.

"Well, I'm still in school actually. I have a few more years until I'm done there. But that would be great coming to see you on weekends and create snow storms in your shop!"

Ice smiled as the filly spoke about the princess possibly seeing something in her during that night. It was the only logical explanation, but what, Ice was not entirely sure of. After all, she was just a humble mare herself. Only time would answer that question. The filly added that perhaps it was that she was smart and kind. Perhaps but there were many ponies out there that fit those descriptions. Ponies out there that Luna had met long before her. She also said that once a gift is given, a pony shouldn't ask why, but just appreciate what you have. Those words actually hit a bit closer to home than the filly had expected as Ice thought about it. She was right, although she couldn't keep the nagging question from the back of her mind.

"Yeah, she's still my friend and we still do some things together occasionally. We get along pretty well actually for being the opposite elements. We actually have a surprising amount in common actually. Both of our magical abilities are directly tied to our emotions, which is both a good and a bad thing for both of us. I can't say for her, but I know my magic becomes unstable when I get mad enough. Thankfully, it's not easy to make me that angry. Besides, being happy is a lot more fun," she smiled. "As far as the job goes, if you want it, and your parents will allow it. It's yours. Although I should probably make a sign on my door in case the are looking for you so that if they come this way, they know where you're at," She smiled making a block of ice on the window with a sign that read as follows:

To the parents of Snow Dancer.

Your daughter is perfectly fine and is cooling off inside after a bit of a scare. You may enter and pick her up at any time, or I can walk her home once it cools down outside.

Sincerely,

Ice Storm

Frozen Delights Owner.

Snow Dancer smiled as she heard that despite their differences Ice Storm still had fun with her friend.

"Well I'm glad that you two are still close. As for emotions, when I get upset it doesn't affect my talent, but then again I'm not a unicorn so it may be different."

The Pegasus then beamed as she heard that the job was hers. Of course Snow Dancer had tasks by her parents, but that paled in comparison to getting an actual grown up honest to goodness job.

"Really? Oh thank you," Snow said giving her new found friend a hug, "You won't regret it honestly. And with practice, I can try different things with snow as well."

The snow had finally finished falling and reached the floor in a pile of snow.

"I guess we should clean this snow up, huh? I can sweep it in a pile with my wings, but do you have a way to melt it or form it into a block of ice?"

Archived