Confrontation and Compassion (Closed ATTN: IceStormX)

Lux

Fire Heart sat on that familiar hill, the one she spent those nights by herself dancing and practicing her fire magic without the worried eyes of ponies concerned she was at risk harming herself or others. Today there was no dancing and no magic. There was just her sitting on the hill with her thoughts. Anypony could tell that the older filly was upset as the misty droplets from her eyes upon nearly touching her coat immediately evaporated into steam from the heat of her building fire magic. Her horn had a clear flame on the tip like a torch, growing hotter and bigger as the filly brooded on the past events.

"How could she?" Fire Heart said through her tears, "Why her and no me or both of us? What did I do or didn't do? Why did she have to announce it to everypony?"

Her voiced thoughts degraded into silence as the filly became a volcano of emotions slowly building.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Icybanner_zps47801f3d.png

It was a day like any other in Canterlot and was quickly starting to become routine for her. She would leave out of the Spellbound headquarters in the morning for her store, where she would work until around noon, then depending on her mood, she would either hit up a local cafe or head to the park for lunch. Today, was one of the days where she decided that she was going to head to the park for lunch. She hadn't been there for a couple nights and she felt kinda bad about it. She made a note to come back tonight to watch Luna raise the moon and then just to look at the stars. That would have to wait until tonight though as she took her lunch to go from the cafe and made her way towards that one little hill in the park that was her favorite.

When the hill came into sight though, instead of being empty like normal, she spotted Fire Heart there, and even more to her dismay, Fire Heart seemed very upset about something, "Fire Heart!" She blurted as she ran over to make sure that her friend was okay, completely unaware of the fact that she herself was the reason Fire was hurting. "Fire, what's wrong!? Is everything okay?" she asked, her lunch instantly becoming her last priority as the well-being of her friend was now her top priority."

Normally hearing the voice of a friend nearby would raise the red unicorn's spirits, making her feel that she wasn't alone in her joy or sorrow. She knew the power of friends and wouldn't trade them for anything else in the world. But this time her friends' words only seemed to inflame Fire Heart further like salt in a wound. If it was any other friend then maybe she would have reacted differently. But no, it was Ice Storm, the one who revealed the news to her.

"Okay?" Fire Heart growled as finally her anger boiled over and as she stood to face the mare, flames erupted around the pony, giving her a menacing look to her.

"Do I look okay to you?"

The way that Fire Heart had reacted to her caught Ice Storm completely off guard. She went from bring upset to what seemed really mad, and she seemed really mad at her for some reason. Something that made Ice shrink back a bit, and upset herself. What had she done to upset her friend so badly? She could tell she was getting even more upset by how out of control her magic was getting, and Ice began to back away from her a bit. If she wasn't in control with her magic, she could hurt her, or... of she was, she could hurt her even more. "No... You don't look okay.... that's why I came over here to see what was wrong... If... you'd rather me leave... I was only concerned... I didn't mean to upset you even more..." she stated in a very heavy, very saddened tone.

The fact that her friend looked terrified didn't register in Fire Heart's mind, nor did the words her friend seem to calm her.

"Upset isn't the word" the red unicorn said as she took a step forward, leaving scorch marks in the grass, "I am enraged! How could she so easily ignore me? How could you of all ponies be the one to break the news? How could you so easily tell others not knowing who was sitting right there listening?"

As she stepped forward, the flame skin around her body began to grow hotter, becoming more blue than red or orange.

At first Ice Storm didn't understand what the filly meant when she was enraged, and how she could have been ignored, and when she asked how she could be the one to break the news, Ice almost instantly knew what she was talking about. Ice felt completely horrible. This was one of the exact reason why she didn't want any of her friends to know what had happened, but at the same time, she knew she could have lied to them either. Ice saw the scorch marks in the grass behind Fire and became worried about something else. If Fire didn't get her emotions in check soon, the entire park would be ablaze.

"I didn't want to!" she started before. "For this very reason, but I won't lie to my friends either. I didn't want to tell anypony about this! Because now all of a sudden the more that this gets out, the more of my friends are going to get hurt, and the more other ponies are going to get the idea that I'm way more important than I actually am! Would you yourself had reacted any different if you had heard it from anypony other than me?" she asked started to get upset herself. "Do you honestly think that I knew that something like that was going to happen myself? because if so, then you knew a lot more about it than I did. Not to mention the fact I haven't even seen the princess since that night..." she said dropping on her rump and hanging her head. "Maybe I should just go... I'm sorry for hurting you.... I'll make sure that never happens again" she said as she started to turn around.

She was absolutely sick to her stomach now. The one thing that she could have only dreamed of when she was little, had turned into her worst nightmare. She knew this was only just the start. Real friends would start hating her, fake friends would start crowding around and try to push her old ones out... it's how nobility worked... She didn't want any of it. She wouldn't have even told them if Moon hadn't asked why she was moving back. She gave a small glance back to Fire. "I'm sorry..." she spoke, the tears and hurt in her own eyes as obvious as day. With a heavy heart, and a head hung low, she began to head to the exit.

Seeing Ice look saddened by the revelation that she didn't know Fire was never selected like her hit home with Fire Heart. She had just hurt her best friend and now was dangerously close to being the monster she feared other ponies would see her as.

"Ice, please, come back," Fire said as she trotted towards her, the flames cooling down to a red again but still raging uncontrollably, "I'm sorry that I reacted the way I did. I can't control what I do sometimes. I'd never want to hurt my best friend, no matter what. I didn't know that you never knew I wasn't selected. That's what upset me, that I never knew until now! And as for how I would react, I don't know what I'd do if I heard it from another pony. I..."

She realized that despite knowing now about Ice Storm's side, the flames still burned hot around her. Now in her moment of clarity, she began to panic.

"Ice... I can't control my magic! You need to help stop my flames or else I might hurt somepony or something!"

Why do these things always happen to me?! Something finally goes right and then everything goes wrong... Ice thought to herself as she began to turn away from her friend. She would likely never get to see her after this day because she's be scornful over what happened for a long time, and then she'd forget about her. At least, that's what Icy was expecting. Instead she heard the mare coming after her, apologizing for reacting the way that she did. She thought that she knew that she wasn't selected and that she knew what was going to happen that night. It made sense because she did ask to speak to Luna alone because of her issue, so she understood where that though would come from. She said that she honestly didn't know how she'd react if she had heard it from somepony else, but quickly realized that her magic was out of control, and started to panic a bit.

She starting trying to think of things they could do to get her magic back under control again. She didn't want to use her magic unless she absolutely had no other choice. While she knew some of her simpler ice spells wouldn't hurt most ponies. Fire Heart was like her. Heat and fire affected Ice Storm to a much higher degree than anything else in Equestria and Fire had already shared the same information about herself. She was afraid that even a simple Ice shield could be enough to cause her some pain. However, when Fire said that Icy needed to do something before somepony or something got hurt, she nodded. Focusing as intently as she could, she attempted to cast her Ice armor, which was literally just a coating of ice, around Fire, thick enough to douse the fire, but thin enough to where the ice itself will never touch her, just the water from it melting.

For a moment Fire thought that she was doomed. She alienated her best friend and the one pony who could save her. Now the fire burned around her and no matter where she went she would be a danger to others. It was like she was now trapped by her own magic as now the grass around her began to show embers of flames as they scorched black. To her delight though Ice heard her plea and returned, her horn glowing with a spell.

Before she could speak, Ice felt something encase her body, like a blanket that was around her but not actually on her. One thing was for certain: it was cold and it hurt. She cried out in pain as the flames protested, growing hotter like a defense mechanism.

"You... have... to get... more ice. It's the... only way."

Ice was unsure if she wanted to comply with the request that Fire was asking her. She could clearly see that the ice was hurting her, but the flames if they kept going like this could also begin to hurt her and others. Ice steeled herself and once again shot the spell at Fire, this time, a much stronger version that would create substantially thicker ice around her. Ice wouldn't leave it on her for long and would break it off quickly, especially with the fact added that no pony else around them knew what was going on, it could easily be seen as two mares fighting each other, which simply wasn't the case. Either way, nothing good will come of this, Ice knew this already, but she had to do what she could to help Fire regain control of her magic. "I can't do much more than that without the spell becoming dangerous...." Ice told her, and she refused to go that far. She couldn't, if something went wrong, she wouldn't be able to stand herself, or anything else. All she could do was hope that this would be enough, and that no pony got involved thinking that the situation was a lot worse than it was.

Fire Heart braced herself for what she knew was going to be more pain. She knew that it was the only way to stop her untamed magic and she knew that Ice Storm was not one to use her magic lightly especially knowing how sensitive the red unicorn was to it. The higher level spell hit like being struck lightning as Fire Heart screamed in pain, her entire body hurting at once. It could be easy to just succumb to the pain and let the fire magic hopefully burn down, but there was no sure thing that it would happen unless Fire took control. Pushing through the pain she forced her body and magic to relax and let the flames die down. After what felt like an agonizing moment the flames grew smaller and smaller until they along with the ice disappeared.

"Sssooo cccooollldd," Fire replied as she collapsed weakened but still awake.

As the chain of events unfolded even further and the beam of magic finding it's mark on the young filly in front of her, Ice Storm knew that her friend was immensely uncomfortable. Even that was a gross understatement. She had to make one of her thicker layers of ice around her just to get the flames around her body under control. It seemed that Fire's emotions had finally become calm enough to where she could control herself again. Ice didn't blame her for reacting the way she had though. She had to admit, she'd be jealous too if the situations were reversed. After what seemed like an eternity, the flames around Fire were gone, and Ice quickly pulled any remaining peaces of the frozen crystals from her hopefully before they caused any damage to her. She watched Fire collapse, the ice had taken a toll on her that was for sure, and without any hesitation Ice approached her.

She instantly heard the mare say that she was very cold. In that moment, Ice Storm lay next to fire to try to let her own body heat spread to her to help bring her temperature back up. "Don't worry, I'm right here" she said laying next to her friend. "And I'm not going anywhere. At least not until you've gotten your strength back," she smiled to fire whisking as much water as she could away from her. "I'm sorry as well. I wasn't trying to upset anypony, let alone one of my best friends. It was because I didn't really know about anything else that had happened that night that I didn't really want to ay anything. In fact, that was the first time I had mentioned anything about it since that night! Other than to my mother of course. Did I ever tell you that we made up?"

She was too weak to move or talk at first at first, just laying on the grass as her breath came heavy. She then became aware of the presence of something warm nearby her, not a fire but something else, and she could guess who it was. Ice Storm's caring voice confirmed that she was trying to help her after quelling the flames.

"Th...thanks," she said as the strength returned enough for her to talk and open her eyes, "Im sorry, so so sorry that I reacted that way! To think that I could have hurt you or worse. I wasn't mad at you, maybe a little jealous but not mad at you. I'm not a horrible pony, am I/ And I think I remembered you making up with your mom, and that's good."

Ice Storm felt Fire Heart shift a bit next to her as she lifted her head and began to start talking to her, apologizing for reacting the way that she had. Ice understood all of the emotion that she was feeling right now as it was ones that she had felt several times in her life. The hurt and despair of what others have told her or put her through at the expense or pleasure of somepony else. Ice Storm surely hadn't meant to hurt fire with the revelation of her job, and as she pointed out, she wouldn't have even brought it up if she hadn't been asked about it. Like always though, Fire was more concerned about the fact that she could have hurt her or somepony else, which made Ice smile and she hugged her closer and giving her a gentle, friendly nuzzle.

"Hey, it's okay. I completely understand. I can't say that I would have reacted any differently if the situations would have been reversed. The important thing is that you didn't hurt anypony else and that you're safe with your friend. One that no matter what will always be right here for you. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or where I'm at, if you need me, you come to me," she said holding her close. "And I will do everything I can to help you. You aren't a horrible pony at all. Your my friend, and one that I'm proud to call as such," she said with a smile, listening as she confirmed that Ice had told her about her reunion with her mom. "It was a welcome experience. We both hurt deeply from what happened, another thing that Luna was correct about. Would you like to know the real reason why I wanted to speak with her in private that night, after all the trouble it's seemed to cause, you deserve to know the truth. At the time I didn't want to mention what it was in front of you because I had just met you, and I didn't know how you'd react to it." she told the mare.

Fire Heart prepared for the worst, that she would be rejected by one of her closest friends. It was a scene that she played out in her mind in the daytime and in her nightmares at night. That along with her inability to fully master her ability made her life always like she was walking with a dark cloud over her head. But to her glee, Ice Storm didn't reject her but instead gave her big hug and confirmed that she was her best friend which made Fire Heart feel warm inside, warmer than any flame she could create.

"Thanks for being such a good friend to me," she said while hugging the unicorn,"I have to admit I've been distant with ponies because I didn't want to hurt them. That's why my parents sent me to Princess Celestia's School, to hopefully help me with my problem, but even though I'm better than I was years ago I'm not fully in control yet as you can see. There were nights I called out to the stars hoping that Princess Luna or Celestia would just take this talent away. I didn't care if I remained a blank flank my entire life as long as I didn't hurt others. But something stopped me from asking Princess Luna from doing so when I had the chance that snowy night. Maybe it was getting caught up in the joy of the moment, but I think that because you and the Princess were calm around me I felt calm so I didn't go through with it. Then again I don't think Luna would comply with such a request no matter how much I begged. I'm proud to be your friend and I don't want any secrets between us, ok? As for your secret, if you feel comfortable telling me it then I'll promise to keep it secret."

Ice listened carefully as her friend told her how thankful she was for being such a good friend to her. A comment that gave Ice Storm the tiniest blush on her cheek as she smiled back to her. She also listened as Fire explained that she had been distant with ponies because she didn't want to hurt them. That was the reason that her parents had sent her to the school to begin with. She said that it has helped her a lot, but as was seen earlier, she still wasn't completely in control. A statement that made Icy strengthen her hug that she was giving her friend. She was also a bit saddened to hear that this had become so much of a burden for the young filly she had even considered asking the princesses to remove the ability from her, although she knew they wouldn't comply. Her heart sank, and she held her friend as close as she could. She added that something had stopped her, and while she didn't know what it was. She thought that maybe it was as calm as the princess and herself was around her.

"I know that a lot of things have happened, but no matter what you should always be proud of who you are, just like I'm proud to be sitting here comforting you now as my friend. It hurts to know that your natural talent has caused you so much grief, and if you'll allow me to, I'd like to help you get it under control a bit more. Like your talent, my magic is tied to my emotions as well, and can become erratic, dangerous, or just plain useless if I'm not careful. Even in the extremes though I'm still not in complete control of my magic. For example, when I get really, really angry, the ground under me will freeze with every step I take and the air around me will become bone-chilling cold. but I haven't been that angry since the first time I lived here in Canterlot and I caught somepony vandalizing my store. I'll admit that I may have over-reacted at the mare a bit, but I still felt she deserved what she had coming. Either way, I can give you some tips on how to keep your elemental magic in check regarding your emotions, but I'll be honest, some of them are a lot harder to do than others," Ice explained as Fire said that if she felt comfortable enough to tell her about the talk with Luna then she could.

"Alright, well, like I mentioned it is actually quite embarrassing, but you remember how when You, myself, and Luna were playing that guessing game with the riddles, and afterwards she mentioned that it looked like we were going to have to spend the night there, and my demeanor instantly went from warm and happy to nervous and timid? It had nothing to do with any predetermined plans, ill feelings, or anything of the sort. I just didn't feel comfortable mentioned it when you were there because of how embarrassing the issue was, and I didn't want the princess to find out the hard way when she came to wake us up in the morning. You see... I still wet the bed. Most fillies grew out of that, but it's been stuck with me for as long as I can remember, and once the Princess offered to let us stay there that night, I couldn't not say anything about it. After we had talked about it she told me that she would scheduled me to see one of their doctors to see if they could figure out the cause and try to fix it, but like I mentioned earlier, I haven't heard anything from the princess since that night." she explained to fire hoping that the revelation didn't upset her even more, or make her thoughts of herself change.

It was sometimes hard to realize for Fire Heart how much her issues with her magic was similar to other unicorns. She felt like she was the only one who lacked the control and being among the brightest most magically gifted unicorns who all appeared to "get it" with their magic didn't help. But hearing Ice explain how her magic was linked to emotions made her wonder if maybe this wasn't a rare thing. Maybe all unicorns had emotions to a piece of their magic. After all the unicorn did learn that magic was made up of the intent, the energy, and the passion when using a spell. But the best news came when Ice offered to help her with her emotion control part of the magic.

"You'd help me with that? Oh wonderful! How about we help each other with our magic, making it be stronger and more controlled together. Well be like a magical team, and since we're both in the Spellbound Guild we can use that place!"

The possibilities flowed through her as she pondered the ways the two could plan and execute this. They had the tools and the knowledge, and most importantly they had their friendship. As she thought about this, Ice heard the truth about why Ice Storm insisted to speak alone with the Princess. It wasn't about the new position, that was a surprise. She felt bad that the mare before her had to deal with such an issue, how it prevented her from staying at a friend's house or the shame of having that kept secret from those close to her.

"Oh Ice, I'm sorry to here you have that issue. I don't know how I'd feel if i were in your position. The only thing I can say that happened to me that came close was when I was a filly and just got my cutie mark I'd sometimes... well... catch the bed on fire a little after a nightmare. It wasn't something I could control, and that's what scared me and my parents the most, worrying about the house going up in flames while we were sleeping. The good news was that the nightmares were enough to awaken me to put them out before they were out of control and having a bucket of ice handy. Thankfully after going to school this problem went away. Anyway, can I ask if your problem happens randomly, after nightmares like me, or every night?"

"Fire, I would be more than honored to help you with your emotions and your magic. And like you said, perhaps you can show me a thing or two as well. You're never too old to learn something new, and I kinda like the idea of being a spellbound tag team," she giggled to her friend as she suggested they work together to try to resolve each others emotional ties with their magic. It would be good to at least get them down to where they weren't causing too much of an issue unless they were beyond upset.

That said she couldn't help but blush a bit after she told Fire about her own little issue and just like Luna, she seemed to be quite understanding, and added that she didn't know how she would even begin to feel if she were in her hooves. She did say that when she was younger, she would occasionally set her bed on fire from a nightmare that she was having, and that was the reason she was so worried about her control was she didn't want to start a fire when everypony was asleep. She added that thankfully her problem has gone away. Wow... I'll take waking up to a wet bed over that any day, Ice thought to herself, her own problem seeming no where near as bad now. When fire asked how often it happened, the blush on Ice's face grew.

"It happens almost every night, and sometimes even multiple times a night. I never have figured out what's causing it, and I've seen many doctors about it already. So," she said looking around to make sure there weren't any other ponies around. "I've been dealing with the issue really the only way I can. I've been wearing a protective garment at night for as long as I can remember to keep my sheets dry at least, cause it's a lot easier to change a diaper and throw it away in the morning, than it is to change bed sheets and laundry every morning. It's not really as bad as it seems though. I'm sure I could have had things far worse go wrong, so I guess I should consider myself lucky that this is the only real issue I have. And it honestly only becomes an issue anymore if I go to bed unprepared," she explained, her cheeks beet red as she explained her most embarrassing issue to her friend.

Fire smiled as Ice liked the idea of helping each other out. Maybe that was just what the red unicorn needed, not more lecturing or books on magic but practice and somepony who shared similar experiences. Maybe she wouldn't be able to control her abilities at all times but if she can get to where her flare ups were rare then that would be great.

Fire did notice that Ice looked uncomfortable telling her secret, but the mare was happy she did sometimes telling a secret was a way to get it off a pony's mind. She wondered how Ice would react to her issue as a filly, but thankfully it made sense to the blue unicorn. Still Fire couldn't but feel sorry for ice. Had she been in her friend's place she wondered about the embarrassment she would get. She imagined if her fire blasts after nightmares happened every night. Sure that would be worse than Ice's problem but nonetheless embarrassing and frustrating. Still Ice had a system to deal with her problem which was good.

"You don't have to feel embarrassed about it. Sometimes we're just given a quick into our otherwise normal lives. Ok, so it happens every night. You don't suppose it has to deal with your talent? I mean you create ice and ice is water and so is... err... I'll leave it at that because I think you get what I'm saying, right? Maybe like me an my emotions related to magic other unicorns have reactions based on any magical talents."

When Fire started told her that she didn't need to be embarrassed about her issue because sometimes ponies were just given little quirks in their normally ordinary lives, Ice smiled. She listened as she started to deduct that it happened every night and asked that it perhaps that her bedwetting had something to do with her special talent. After all, she created ice, and ice was water as well as another thing that she was about to mention but refrained from doing so. Not that it was needed because Ice knew exactly what she meant, and she added that perhaps it was just a side-effect of her talent. It was something that Ice had never considered before, but made an alarming amount of sense.

"I've never actually thought about it like that before actually, and now that you mention it, this did get worse after I got to Canterlot the first time and discovered my talent, but I never associated anything with it because I vaguely remember it occurring before then as well. As I said, it's been happening for a while. If it is somehow related to my talent though, then I suppose I have to take the bad with the good and just continue dealing with it as I have been. Hopefully Luna's doctor's can find a bit more definitive answers though. Even if it's something that can't be fixed, I at least want to know what's causing the issue, ya know?" she asked rhetorically.

Fire wondered if her idea about what caused Ice Storm's issue was something so obvious that it mattered little to say it. To her surprise though, Ice Storm didn't realize that her magic could be the cause and that it got worse when she got her cutie mark. Well there wasn't much that she could do if it was part of her talent, but then Fire thought of something else.

"Well then your problem just could have been made worse with your talent. I know learning about dreams in my class that when we sleep our mind is less active. So while you have control when you're awake, you are not so much when you are asleep, and that's why you have that issue."

Fire paused when she realized what she said and the excitement she felt saying it before giggling.

"Great, now I sound like one of my teachers when they're giving a lecture!"

When Fire stated that perhaps her issues was just made worse by her talent, and that she had learned about dreams earlier today and said that while a pony had control like normal during the day, like she had, she didn't have much control when they were sleeping, and that combined, with her talent, and whatever was actually causing the problem initially could have just combined to make the issue as it is now. It made so much sense to her that she was actually mentally kicking herself for not thinking of it sooner. She did however hope that if this was the case, the doctor that Luna was going to arrange for her to see would at least have something to slow it down if it couldn't be permanently stopped. That would be another discussion for another time though she felt.

"Hey, it's well deserved because you've actually taught me a lot today," she said nuzzling her friend. "I never really stopped to think about the fact that it could have been related to my talent at all. That the answer was so completely obvious that it was almost too easy to overlook. I'll definitely bring it up whenever I get to go to the doctor," she smiled. "With that in mind, how have you been since that night? Has everything been alright with the Academy?"

Fire giggled as Ice Storm nuzzled her. It seemed like an obvious relation of sleep and one's talent and how they correlate to her issue. The red unicorn could see the blue mare kicking herself for missing an obvious fact.

"Well, I'm glad that you know something new. Sometimes the most obvious things are the ones I forget myself. Of course I'm not a doctor but I'm sure whoever Luna sends you to will be happy about the news. As for me school is doing fine. I can't believe that I'l! be graduating in a few years. I'm not sure where all the time went. I could have sworn it was just a year ago I entered the school. I'm learning lots of cool things like theories, histories of magic and even ways to control my magic. Once I learn the control part I can expand to learning other ways to manipulate fire. How about you, how's your snow cone business?"

She smiled as Fire Heart said that she was glad that she now knew something new, and that the most obvious things were even the things that she forgot the most herself. She also listened as the mare began to explain that her school was going fine and that she was learning a bunch of new theories and the like and that she would be graduating in a few years. Ice was so happy to hear that, and she was happy for the mare. "Well you'll have to send me the date of your graduation then, I'll make sure not to miss it for the world," she smiled to her friend. She then asked about her snow cone business she was running.

"Well, my shop is doing really well actually. When I moved here, I left the shop in Ponyville open, and I'll be going to see my mom in Hoofington in a couple weeks once I've settled in here to look at a building there to open one there at her request. I'm hoping to have one at least in Ponyville, here and Hoofinton within the next year. I have mine here open already as well, and it's been doing quite well. Much better than the first time I opened it here. I decided to move it here and open it up once again while I was waiting to figure out what I'm actually doing for the princess," she explained.

"Well I'll definitely let you know," Fire said as she beamed at hearing that Ice would be at her graduation. She listened as her friend spoke about her three stores that were open. It amazed her that a pony who started with just a dream could expand her business in such a short time. It really spoke to her character to be able to juggle all three, but thankfully she also had family to help.

​"I'm really glad to hear that your business expanded and that you came back here. I'm glad that you have something to do while you wait for Princess Luna. I think I remember once getting a snow cone from you. Funny how that doesn't bother me but winter and your magic does. Maybe it's intense cold."

Archived