Mira (Ready)

Hawkeye12

Name: Mira; she goes by this name even in her pony form.

Species: Changeling. She is a unicorn in pony form.

Eye colour: Light blue, in both forms.

Character colour: As a changeling, Mira is a dark grey, although lighter in colour than most changelings. Her fur is light grey in pony form.

Mane/Tail/Other: Her mane and tail style are similar in both forms, although Mira's tail is somewhat shorter in her pony form. Her mane is long and messy, often in her face. It is a dull greenish blue in changeling form, and a bright teal in pony form.

Physique: Average size for a changeling, although she is skinnier than most.

Residence: Mira travels around Equestrian, in search for a place where she can truly belong.

Occupation: She works odd jobs to earn bits, but is a hobby swordsmare.

Cutie Mark: In her pony form, Mira's cutie mark Is a sword reflecting itself.

History: Mira, like most changelings, was born into the hive. She was raised no differently than the others before the invasion of Canterlot: taught to worship and work for the Queen. However, Mira thought differently then the others. She didn't want to live like a changeling, even though her assigned role was simply guarding the outskirts of the hive. She knew feeding was something she had to do and couldn't avoid it, but why did they have to worship a queen? Mira was the introverted type, she would rather be alone than be part of a colony. When she tried to tell other changelings this, they made fun of her for it, calling her names such as a pony. It got worse and worse, and as it did Mira began to hate the their lifestyle even more.

One day while walking alone around the hive, Mira was confronted. It was the usual group of bullies, only this time instead of insulting her with words, they been to shove her around. As she was pushed into a wall, she hit her head and fell to the ground. The others laughed, saying she deserved it for hating their lifestyle. However, instead of cowering and being weak, she looked up at then with anger in her eyes. She wouldn't take this torment anymore.

Mira stood up, her head still throbbing, and slugged one of the bullies. He fell to the ground, and Mira hit him several more times before looking at the other two changelings that were still standing. They had stopped laughing, and were staring at her wide eyed before scrambling away. But it wasn't long before Mira came back to her senses. The changeling she had hit was unconscious. What had she done? Scared, Mira ran away from the scene. In fact, she ran until she was away from the hive. She didn't want to see those other changelings again.

For days, Mira hid in the outskirts of Equestria, alone and afraid. She felt like a monster. It was only until she reached a small town out in the middle of nowhere where she saw pony lifestyle for the first time. It was a chance at a new life. And so Mira transformed into a pony for the first time. But just as she was about to enter the town she stumbled over something. It was a sword. Mira picked it up in her magic, swinging it around. And for the first time in a long time, Mira felt something she had longed for. She felt safe. No one could touch her, she was strong.

And so, Mira entered the pony lifestyle with that sword almost always at her side. She belonged somewhere in Equestria, but she didn't know where. And so Mira travels to this day, searching for the one place she can truly belong in.

Character Summary/Personality: Mira spends as much time as possible in her pony form. She believes it is her true self, who she's supposed to be. She's almost always serious and blunt, but she feels strong, and thats what's important. She has her sword, but will never hurt anyone with it without reason. When it comes to interacting with the other ponies, Mira has no problem. She feels like one of them in her unicorn form.

However, at some point all changelings must be in their natural form, and Mira is no exception. But she is completely different in this form. She's shy, timid, and overall weak. Her natural form just reminds her of her past days in the hive, and her memories of the past often give her panic attacks. However, She may be much stronger and more alive in her pony form, but any huge reminder of her past is the one thing that'll break her tough pony shell.

Overall, Mira can appear as a strong, serious pony, but the changeling on the inside is always holding her back.

Before anything else, I think it could use some cleanup. While I'm inclined not to be super picky with grammar, there are some notable instances here which disrupt flow, and even one part I found unreadable ('they been to shine her around'?)

Aside from that, I think the character could probably work as is. Nothing stands out at me as inappropriate for CC, and there's enough of a personality that the character would probably function pretty well. That said, there are a couple things I'd like to see expanded on. The big question for me is: what made her dislike changeling culture and want to be a pony in the first place? You said she had the same upbringing as other changelings, which would make that the culture she's initially the most adapted to and other cultures (namely Equestria's) would generally be portrayed negatively. What made her prefer Equestria of the Changeling Kingdom despite that?

My other big question is, what was her role in the hive? What was she doing prior to running away, and what was she trained for? Does that have any effect on her attitude or approach to things?

I think could use just a little fleshing out. I like what you have so far, but I feel like one or two more aspects should be added to round out the character a bit. While the idea of disliking being a changeling, and struggling with that makes for a good, major part of the character I think she could benefit from just one or two more things added to her personality.

A few more questions: you touched on this, but how does she feel about feeding and what is her approach to it? Did she leave the hive before or after the attempted invasion of Canterlot, and what are her thoughts on that?

Ah yes, I ended up typing this on my iPad so there may be some weird spellcheck things. I skimmed it over, but I gurss I missed a couple so I'll go back and read it through again later today. Other than that, thanks for the advice! I honestly forgot about adding something about feeding XD I'll work on it later today, thanks again :)

Whelp, I did a HUGE cleanup with the spellcheck errors. So sorry about that, I really should've done a more serious readthrough :!: I worked on the history and character summary a little too. I feel a little more confident in this character now, so I'm changing to ready :)

Hi there, Hawkeye! I'm the RP Helper who'll be giving you a hoof with your application!

You've got a really interesting character here, and she seems like the sort of character who could spice up some pony/changeling roleplays in a few different ways. I'm ready to pass this up the ladder for SRPH review, but I'd still like to throw some pointers your way to keep in mind while you RP!

The exciting part of a story is often found in the how and the why as opposed to the what. So we know that your changeling doesn't jive well with other changelings and that she does fit in well with ponies. A great way to really bring this character to life would be to focus on why she was so turned off by the changeling lifestyle. Did the stories of pony lifestyles fascinate her? Did she just not fit in and blame it on the changeling way of life? And as Derp mentioned, how does that effect her need to feed off of pony love? How does the act of feeding make her feel?

I hope these tips are useful and that you have a blast roleplaying here on Canterlot! :catbug:

Archived