The mystery of the Starstone (Old OOC)

Zealot

Hey Folks.

So after a while of rooting around in old files I found some old roleplay notes for a roleplay I never managed to complete. Suffice to say, I thought it would be a nice idea to see if anyone was interested in participating. I remember it started off well then real life got in the way and, yeah... So it would be nice to finish it this time around, or simply to just see if the style works as intended since we didn't really get far enough in the roleplay to see if it worked. I've taken the characters and the setting and transported it to Equestria essentially. So...

The roleplay will be a 'mystery' as suggested in the thread title, so suffice to say something bad is going to happen. I know, shock and spoilers right?

Themes include crime and politics.

Ok, so the story goes. Duke Enjoue Souriant has recently led an expedition into the Prench wilderness, accompanied by Countess Frostfall, where they have found a large ruin that dates back at least a thousand years. After a few months excavation they uncover a small chamber and inside they find a single glittering jewel, hidden away in a secret compartment. There appeared to be no evidence of where the jewel came from or what it was doing there so the Duke claimed it for himself. After all, he did find it. The Petty King of Prance has supported this decision since it is of no historical value to the people of Prance and the Duke presented it as a gift to his mare, Duchess Soigneux Artistique. The roleplay is set one month after the Starstone's discovery and the Duke and Duchess have called for a feast to celebrate the Duke's return from the expedition. The Prench Duke and Duchess are hosting a small gathering of their acquaintances and friends at their estate, only the problem is that just means everyone in the address book. They don't really know who will turn up and they're expecting more or less anything.

So that's the story. Basically your characters aren't expected to know the Duke and Duchess, though they can if you want to. They are NPCs after all. The only requirement is that they have come into contact and somehow details have been exchanged, which I would imagine would be a bit of a surprise. But hey, that's how hooks go.

The important thing to note about this roleplay is that it relies on a certain roleplay style that is not the norm of Canterlot. I will essentially be acting as a Dungeon Master, controlling all the NPCs (of which there are many...) and describing the world around you. Of course, NPC interaction will likely be one liners from my end more to be used as prompts for the roleplay, though it's encouraged that you do talk to them to have a chance to actually solve the mystery. That will likely be the key methinks. There will naturally be a post order as well and, while I will be in that post order I will not have a character, I will simply have a lot of NPCs to play.

I was thinking that the roleplay could be set in Prance, or it could be on the outskirts of Canterlot. The estate is very much a portable location depending on where the players want to roleplay. I've also set this in CC because the plotline is a little darker than would likely be acceptable in WOE. Though I will point out there will be no combat, just politics and mystery.

So yeah, any questions? Thoughts? Want to register interest? Rage comments? Preferably not the latter... but hey.

• 1 month later...

I actually wanted to do a RP similar to this (plot line controlled by a dungeon master type), but I stupidly started signups during the holidays and let the idea pitter out.

But I think this plot sounds pretty interesting, and I love these sort of adventure type RPs. Lots of chances for character development, methinks. Not sure if you're still looking for RPers or are interested in starting up this RP, but if you I'd love to join in!

Eh? I thought this was dead. Like, very dead. 

Yeah, original post was in February. Hehe. This was an old idea of mine that I did quite a bit of work on, then quite a bit of work again to convert it to MLP. Suffice to say, months ago when I posted this it didn't seem anyone was interested so I sort of got a little put off it. I've since joined other RP and I've got too much on to be running something like this, hehe. 

I mean if people wanted to do it I might be interested in running this again, though might have to wait until I can become a little more available. Hehe.

I didn't see it when it was originally posted! ;-; Either way, it seems like it could be lots of fun. I've yet to do any sort of mystery RP which I think is a shame so if you ever decide to get this off the ground, count me in!

Yeah, which is why I wasn't sure if you were still interested in this RP idea. I didn't think a month and a half was too long, but I know eagerness for RP ideas can wane if no one else shows interest.

(Which really surprise me, to be honest. I wasn't active here when this was posted, but I know quite a few RPers who really like these sort of adventure mystery RPs. Really surprised no one else bit this thread).

Anyways, like Elderflower said. I'm interested if you feel like returning to this RP. I love a good mystery, even if I'm terrible at solving them!

I'm afraid I tend to jump between ideas so I have lost a bit of interest in this. Well, if a few people are interested then I guess I can put this on the back burner. For when I free myself up from some RP. I guess I did a fair bit of work for it which justifies at least trying. So yeah, I shall run this in the future. At some point... See if I can't get my interest back.

(Really surprised no one else bit this thread).

For some reason, I feel inclined to disagree. I wasn't terribly surprised when this thread died a death...

Yeah, which is why I wasn't sure if you were still interested in this RP idea. I didn't think a month and a half was too long, but I know eagerness for RP ideas can wane if no one else shows interest.

(Which really surprise me, to be honest. I wasn't active here when this was posted, but I know quite a few RPers who really like these sort of adventure mystery RPs. Really surprised no one else bit this thread).

Anyways, like Elderflower said. I'm interested if you feel like returning to this RP. I love a good mystery, even if I'm terrible at solving them!

Usually few people look into the OOC section, and if they do, it's normally the very first topic, or they were looking for another thread. *shrugs*. Looking at the date the post was made, I am not actually surprised that it didn't get many views anyways. The forum's activity noticeably declined for a good amount of time that month.

But I too, would be pretty interested in this thread. It sort of reminds me of some really old click and point mystery games. I'd be willing to jump in if you are pulling this from the grave.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, now that all my exams are done and I have some free time I was wondering about starting this thread up. If anyone was still interested.

Though now that I think about it, I'll probably re-post this in a bit.

Don't see a new OOC thread, so I'd just like to say that I'm still interested in this idea, though at the moment I have no idea which character I'd use.

Ok then, if people are still interested I'll make a new OOC thread just to see who else wants to bite and then get on with it. Might as well just go for it and see what happens I guess.

Still, thanks for the interest. Hopefully I can make this fun.

http://www.canterlot.com/topic/20651-the-mystery-of-the-starstone-interest-checkooc/

Archived