New to drawing

thebandgem

I'm new to this whole drawing thing so I was wondering if I could be given some tips and stuff and maybe some software for drawing on the computer? Thanks to all!

I tend to make art of my own creations since I can see them in my mind. The  yes, as QuickLime said, references are important! Today I drew a griffon and had pictures of panthers and ravens up on my screen to get the basic idea. Practice a lot if you want to improve and don't give up! 

As far as art programs, I use an old program called ArtRage. I bought it online for like 25$.

I'm not artist professional or anything but i do find it a fun outlet! 

Good luck!! :)

Oooh! If you don't already have one, try picking up a wacom tablet from your local electronics store. They range from pretty inexpensive to super homg expensive, but a cheap little Wacom Bamboo tablet is really all you need. It'll make drawing on a computer a million times easier than using a mouse.

Learning the tools of the program you're planning on using to draw helps a lot too. I use Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro myself, though the two programs are very different. If you like your tools to behave more like real physical media, Sketchbook Pro is a god send. It also has a variety of tool options to help keep your lines pretty and straight when you're cleaning up sketches, without having to learn how to use the pen tool in Photoshop. Although I would recommend trying out the pen tool. c: It makes cleaning up and coloring drawings a piece of cake, and really quick. Plus there are tons of tutorials on how to use it available for free throughout the internet~

Photoshop is available for a monthly subscription fee of, like, $10 a month. Sketchbook Pro is a one time fee of $60, but is one of the most diverse and fun art programs I've ever used~

Aside from that, like Quicklime said: reference, reference, refrerence.

And repetition, repetition, repetition. Don't get discouraged if your drawings don't look exactly like you want them to when you first start drawing. Over time, you'll start to improve just through the sheer action of drawing on a regular basis. c:

Practice, patience, reference (as the others have said before). There are all kinds of different drawing programs out there, ArtRage, PaintTool SAI, MyPaint, Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, ect. They all do the job. It's up to you to find the one that works best for you. :geek: MyPaint and Gimp are some free ones that I can name off the top of my head. :razz:

I highly recommend a tablet. If you can't afford a Wacom I suggest a UGEE, they're not the best of the best, but I'll get you started. I also suggest looking at ebay when you've found the tablet you want. That is, if you don't have one already.  :blush:

Save, save, save. I've lost too many drawings for not saving enough or in the right format. For example, shutting my laptop lid, saving as jpg, closing without saving, cashes, ect ect. :cry:

Keep drawing!! I know from experience, that drawing as much as you can will help you improve quite nicely.  :kissy: But, don't force it. ;)

Have fun~! :mad:

Best of luck! -Jessica :)

All them emotes though... :-|:!::?::-o:???:

• 3 months later...

Practice!  Just as others have said, it's all you really need for success.  Don't be afraid of criticism (don't be sad if it's mean), and even encourage harsh critics to look at your art.  Although you may feel bad for a little bit, it really helps to have someone point out every single itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny mistake. 

Archived