Mane Cast Tiers

BaconofChaos

So I've noticed that the cast list is divided into tiers. What has never really been explained is the how and why of it.

Firstly, why tiers? If we can only have a max of two characters, regardless of tier, then what exactly do tiers accomplish?

Secondly, how are characters matched to tiers? I get Tier 1. The mane characters. I get that. Tier 2 seems to be "characters that have had a noticable speaking role or effect on the story". Zecora, Trixie, Gilda etc. Quite why the Sherriff is there I don't know (did he even have a speaking line?). Meanwhile Tier 3 contains Big Macintosh (who has appeared in multiple episodes and had a speaking role) alongside ponies like Morton "Salt" Shaker and Quill & Sofa/Davenport. Really? Soarin's most significant roles were eating a pie and getting kicked in the head by Rarity. He is Tier 2.

Then we have Tier 4, which further confuses me. I don't believe Toffee (Who I guess was the female Caramel?) was ever named, or spoke, or appeared in more than one ep. She is Tier 3, while Octavia is Tier 4?

I apologise if this sounds like complaining. I'm just genuinely confused here. :?: Might also help to clarify exactly what counts as Tier 4, with the new rules allowing for one T4 char app.

The official Canterlot tiering seems to be a bit different than mine, but I always thought of tiers like this:

1. Mane Six

2. Recurring support characters (Spike, Celestia, CMC).

3. Creatures with Take-Two canon names that speak lines (except animals, which needn't speak).

4. Background creatures (unnamed, or non-speaking).

5. Fanmade creatures.

Tiers 1 and 2 could almost be wrapped together.

I originally made up the Tiers, although all the staff has seen it and had a small hand in it. It was recently condensed from 6 Tiers to 4. This happened the day I came back from a long trip where I did not get a lot of sleep.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we're definitely open to suggestions on anything you guys think is off or weird or could be improved or added. (Hence, why we have a suggestions forum, duh! :P)

The original Tier 1 had the main 6 and Spike. Tier 2 had Celestia, Luna, and the CMC. Combining those was easy.

Tiers 3 became Tier 2, without having characters added or changed. It is characters that have made limited appearances and usually have some spoken lines.

Tiers 4 and 5 became Tier 3. Tier 4 was those characters who had very few speaking lines, but were also well known among the fandom. Tier 5 was background characters that were very popular (Lyra/Bon-Bon/Doctor Whooves) and characters that had been officially named, but hadn't had enough screen time to really have personalities. There were also a few characters that were known, but had not been given official names.

Tier 6 remains the same. All other background characters that haven't been officially named and aren't necessarily popular. They aren't listed, because there are over 100, so anytime someone applies for one of them, then they go on the list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, your questions are excellent ones, and I will answer them as best I can.

Firstly, why tiers?

More organization? Eh, there are different rules for Tiers 1-3 and Tier 4. The first 3 Tiers are just to separate major characters from minor ones. Higher Tier means higher demand, and probably more competition if you plan to apply for a character.

Secondly, how are characters matched to tiers?.....Quite why the Sherriff is there I don't know (did he even have a speaking line?). Meanwhile Tier 3 contains Big Macintosh (who has appeared in multiple episodes and had a speaking role) alongside ponies like Morton "Salt" Shaker and Quill & Sofa/Davenport.

Actually thanks for bringing this to my attention, you make some excellent points and I will be shifting around the Tier list a little. I think I just put the Sheriff with Chief Thunderhooves and Little Strongheart because they were in the same episode together, and there were just a few characters that were introduced in that EP. I didn't really think about that the Sheriff had significantly less speaking lines and screen time than CT and LS. Big Mac will also be moved up a Tier.

Soarin's most significant roles were eating a pie and getting kicked in the head by Rarity. He is Tier 2

Soarin', while he did not have a whole lot of lines, I would consider to be as popular as Spitfire. The two kind of go together, and both were applied for shortly after appearing in the show. He is in Tier 2 due more to popularity than screen time (like how Bon-Bon and Lyra are bumped to Tier 5, even though they only appear as background characters and do not have official names).

Then we have Tier 4, which further confuses me. I don't believe Toffee (Who I guess was the female Caramel?) was ever named, or spoke, or appeared in more than one ep. She is Tier 3, while Octavia is Tier 4?

Again, thanks for letting me know. I think I just sort of paired up Toffee in the same Tier as Caramel, thinking their popularity would be about the same. Caramel has had no speaking lines that I recall, and Toffee seems to be known well enough to be put in Tier 4.

I apologise if this sounds like complaining. I'm just genuinely confused here.

Not at all, this is totally what the Questions & Suggestions topic is for! (Just no whining! :D)

Might also help to clarify exactly what counts as Tier 4, with the new rules allowing for one T4 char app.

Tier 4 is any other character not listed in Tiers 1-3. That is ANY other background character that appears in the show, no matter how brief. This does not include toys, which are considered OCs unless they appear in show. For a list of many of the Tier 4 characters (though some on this list are in Tier 3), click here.

Ahh, okay. thanks for this Tales, that's cleared up a fair amount.

Now, your questions are excellent ones, and I will answer them as best I can.
Firstly, why tiers?

More organization? Eh, there are different rules for Tiers 1-3 and Tier 4. The first 3 Tiers are just to separate major characters from minor ones. Higher Tier means higher demand, and probably more competition if you plan to apply for a character.

Okay, yeah that makes sense.

Soarin', while he did not have a whole lot of lines, I would consider to be as popular as Spitfire. The two kind of go together, and both were applied for shortly after appearing in the show. He is in Tier 2 due more to popularity than screen time (like how Bon-Bon and Lyra are bumped to Tier 5, even though they only appear as background characters and do not have official names).

Yeah, after I posted I kinda thought it might be a popularity thing.

Again, thanks for letting me know. I think I just sort of paired up Toffee in the same Tier as Caramel, thinking their popularity would be about the same. Caramel has had no speaking lines that I recall, and Toffee seems to be known well enough to be put in Tier 4.

Alright, but it's still odd the Octavia is Tier 4 considering her popularity. Heck I'd say she's as popular as Lyra at this point.

I apologise if this sounds like complaining. I'm just genuinely confused here.

Not at all, this is totally what the Questions & Suggestions topic is for! (Just no whining! :D)

Aheh heh ^^: My natural inclination whenever saying anything that might even be vaguely considered critisism is to apologise beforehand just in case. It's a terrible habit of mine.

Tier 4 is any other character not listed in Tiers 1-3. That is ANY other background character that appears in the show, no matter how brief. This does not include toys, which are considered OCs unless they appear in show. For a list of many of the Tier 4 characters (though some on this list are in Tier 3), click here.

Alright, got it. Also thanks for the link. I've seen the list before but that was back around episode 10 or 11, so there are a lot more background ponies. Many I'd never even noticed before o_o.

Two more quick questions: 1) I didn't notice Berry Punch, Carrot Top or Colgate on any list. Would they be tier 4? I figured they were quite popular.

2) Steven Magnet is on the list, but I know that Sea Serpents are not allowed except for staff members. Does that mean that he is staff-only, or is he some exception?

Alright, but it's still odd the Octavia is Tier 4 considering her popularity. Heck I'd say she's as popular as Lyra at this point.

Two more quick questions: 1) I didn't notice Berry Punch, Carrot Top or Colgate on any list. Would they be tier 4? I figured they were quite popular.

Yes, Berry Punch, Colgate, and Carrot Top would be Tier 4.

Here's the thing. Octavia may seem more popular, however, she only received ONE application when she was available. There was no competing for her. Lyra and Bon-Bon, on the other hand, were both applied for before. Then, those players lost the characters, and they were applied for yet again, with Lyra receiving two applications. Berry Punch, Colgate, and Carrot Top, however, have never been applied for. Not even once.

So I guess it's based more on our board's popularity for some of the cast in Tier 3. While characters may be popular among the fandom, nopony here may want to play them.

2) Steven Magnet is on the list, but I know that Sea Serpents are not allowed except for staff members. Does that mean that he is staff-only, or is he some exception?

Haha, I just had to bring this up to the staff. We'll be adding Sea Serpents, but like Dragons, people won't be allowed to play full grown ones. With, yes, the exception of Steven Magnet.