Trends in season five episodes.

Season five is just shy of half over, and there has been a very noticeable trend in the episodes so far. Namely, there have been a large number of episodes featuring secondary characters brought back from previous seasons, sometimes several years earlier, sometimes a character's first appearance since.

Just this season, off the top of my head and barring the background ponies featured in Slice of Life, we've seen return appearances by Gilda, Braeburn, Fancy Pants, Cherry Jubilee, Cranky and Matilda, and Maud.

Any thoughts on what they're building up to, or what it might mean? Could be an interesting finale.

I guess there's just an awareness that people like seeing these more minor characters show up and that having them become returning characters kind of has an effect of strengthening the overall world of the show. Instead of these locations, characters and things being one time things written in for an episode plot, with multiple appearances they become facets of a broader world.

Personally, I hope the trend continues. There are still lots of fun supporting characters we haven't revisited.

I don't see anything particularly unique about Season 5's use of prior one-shot characters (except for maybe Episode 100, which was deliberately fanservicy). It's only natural that once a show has gone on long enough, the showrunners get ideas on which one-shot characters deserve "reoccurring" status. The Simpsons is a rather good example of a show with a rather large library of prior one-shot characters who show up again every few seasons (ie. Sideshow Bob).

I don't see anything particularly unique about Season 5's use of prior one-shot characters (except for maybe Episode 100, which was deliberately fanservicy). It's only natural that once a show has gone on long enough, the showrunners get ideas on which one-shot characters deserve "reoccurring" status. The Simpsons is a rather good example of a show with a rather large library of prior one-shot characters who show up again every few seasons (ie. Sideshow Bob).

I agree, lots of other series do it, but what struck me was the number of recurrences in a short number of episodes. It was happening almost weekly. That was what stuck out in my mind about this season.

I agree, lots of other series do it, but what struck me was the number of recurrences in a short number of episodes. It was happening almost weekly. That was what stuck out in my mind about this season.

Maybe it has to do with M.A. Larson coming back for Season 5? He wasn't involved with Season 4 because he was off doing some personal project, if I recall correctly.

Archived