Steven Universe

After performing some searches, I didn't find any topics for this amazing show, SO HERE IT IS!

For those that have kept up with Steven Universe, I doubt I have to reiterate the elements that make it the best show on TV right now. For those that haven't watched it, the diversity in the characters and more importantly the relationships between those characters, is probably the biggest reason why this show is so great. It starts off kind of slow, but for good reason I feel. I put the show off for a long while because I found the first episode kind of boring (at the time) and didn't like the character, Steven. I found him to be that character that just makes incompetent mistakes to further the plot, but this isn't really the case. He's a complex character (though the gems far more so) that makes mistakes and learns from them, and tries to understand the people around him.

The gems (who I won't go too much into because doing so is spoiler territory) and their complex relationships to each other are the bulk of the show I find. It's hard to talk about the show without spoiling things. It does a good job of revealing things at the proper time and frequency. The reveals typically aren't these big boom moments either, they're bits of things at a time and feel natural.

The voice casting is also superb and fits the characters so well, especially Garnet.

The purpose of this thread is a discussion thread about the show for those that enjoy it and want to talk about and share their thoughts about it. However this opening post is mostly for those that haven't seen it. I highly encourage you, if you haven't seen it, to go and check it out. It's quite a treat. To watch it, you can find it on Hulu, but you do need a Plus account to do so. If you don't have that and money is short, you can find it on youtube. If you don't like that site, there are other places out there. If you have a keyboard and a way to use google, I'm sure you can find it. No links can be posted here (other than to youtube) due to board rules.

So, have at it! Again, I know this thread is vague in the details, but once you see the show, you'll understand why talking about it in a way other than in a general sense is spoiling how it reveals lore and characters.

I agree that it does start off pretty slow, I almost dismissed it myself because I found the first several episode rather boring, this does rapidly change though over time and it is quickly revealed Steven isn't an idiot (which I honestly thought he was at first).  I do also like the leeway CN gives the show *despite* it's status as a cartoon (which either forces a boatload of corporate censorship or the opposite, goes completely wild for the sake of being wild like ATHF or Family Guy), allowing it to be far more serious and deep than would be allowed for something rated Y or Y-7 (SU is actually rated PG).

Same here.  I saw people raving about SU months ago.  I tried like 1-2 episodes, and was, like, "What do people see in this?"  But as more people started to talk about it, I gave it another shot, and watched the whole series in about a week.  The plot and characters are surprising deep once you get into it.  As Dio said about the show, its about interplanetary war and genocide.  But the Gems are the best part of the whole show.  Garnet is best Gem.

Yes! Garnet is so the best Gem. Then that season 1 ending happened and she became even more bester than before. I did the same, watched it all in roughly a week and a half. Once it picked up about... episode 7 or so, I couldn't stop. The episodes are so bite sized too, only being 11 minutes. It's really easy to forget that they're only 11 minutes each. They do a lot with that time without it feeling rushed.

Archived