A Changeling's Confession [Concluded]

DerpRavener

"Eager? I'm always eager! Not for this though, I'm not eager to hurt people. But still, being able to protect my friends and myself would be good." Flux said, frowning a bit. She listened as he spoke, humming slightly to herself before sighing as he finished. 

"I guess... Whichever way you think is better." She responded, shrugging slightly. "You don't have to do this, of course. Not like I'm gonna force you or anything." She finished, giggling slightly. She probably couldn't force him, even if she wanted to. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red sighed, and his expression probably showed that this pony was getting tiresome quickly, at least, until his outburst at Naj. It was what he said afterwards, however, that gave him pause. "Fear is a powerful weapon Spring, one that shouldn't be wielded lightly. Such as Sombra and Changeling Queen know about it well and they abuse it. Terror can paralyze your mind and body, making you easier to be dealt with, question if what you do is really worth it. I don't believe into 'eye for an eye' philosophy Spring, but for far too long we left that sword unused. It's about time for the wicked to feel the cold breath of dread on their neck, before it's followed by fiery justice. If I have to use icy blade of fear to allow one of steel to remain sheathed....then so be it."

Red found he could only shake his head. When he finally found his voice again, he looked up at Squall, directly under the cloak. "If that's honestly how you feel, then you're no better than the Hive, you're just on the other side, or perhaps you're already afraid. Either way, that will only make things worse long before it could possibly make things better."

Red frowned a little as Squall appeared to change tactics, asking Naj about her parents next. While Red had already heard from Naj what little she knew of them, he wondered just where Squall was trying to go with this.

• 1 month later...

Naj was surprised at just how much of a reaction she got from Squall, it would seem her barb had been better aimed than she realized.  It almost made her feel bad about saying it.  Almost.  Regardless of what Squall thought, 'I could hurt you anytime I wanted to' was an implied threat.  And if he was doing the sort of things he was committed to and didn't realize that, then he was not prepared and a sharp lesson would probably be to his benefit.  He'd be more likely to remember it at least.  And perhaps more importantly, if Squall was intent on playing the villain he'd need to get used to this sort of response.  Naj had to wonder if he really knew what he was getting into, and she wouldn't be surprised to hear either possible answer to the question.

As for the rest of what he was arguing...actually, Naj didn't fully disagree with it.  She didn't completely agree either.  But more than either of those, she felt that she was in no condition to properly carry out the discussion.  She felt it was just as well that it probably wasn't one of her responsibilities.

Naj was somewhat pleased to hear that Squall did in fact account for the damage he caused.  She found his approach somewhat wasteful, thinking that surely a slightly more measured approach could save a lot of bits and time.  And she was certain that sooner or later he was going to break something he couldn't just throw bits at to fix.  But that was an argument that would have to wait for another time, when Naj had more energy.  For now, she was just happy to hear that it was something he kept in mind.

"It would be yes and no Spring. I wasn't aware that changeling's had one until Expo was over. And the reason for that ignorance..." Squall gave a heavy sigh "....is that despite everything I still try to have as much life as I can."
“S'fine,” Naj mumbled, “I just wanted to see if you knew of it.  I'm sure plenty of ponies didn't get a chance to go.” She vaguely remembered it not being that populated, considering where all the participants came from, and that it seemed to be the only event of its time.  “Kinda seems like a change in attitude for them though, and I wonder about it.”

Naj didn't have much to add to Squall and Flux's conversation.  The unicorn's concerns seemed reasonable, yet Flux didn't seem to be trying anything underhooved.  Naj was content to let them work that out themselves, although the issue of where Flux would stay reminded Naj of her own circumstances.  More specifically, those several months ago.  She was tempted to ask, but in the end wasn't sure she wanted to hear the answer.  Besides, it sounded like she might get a place for herself out of this in the end.  Naj wouldn't mind having another friend in Stalliongrad, if that was the decision.

"If that's honestly how you feel, then you're no better than the Hive, you're just on the other side, or perhaps you're already afraid. Either way, that will only make things worse long before it could possibly make things better."
Naj rested a hoof on Red's, in a gesture that was one part comforting and one part meant to get his attention.  “Alright, settle down you two,” she muttered, “I'm too tired for this.”  She nestled against Red again, even as she next addressed Squall.  “You let me worry about Red getting training, it's something I've meant to talk about with him anyways.  And if that's the last thing we're worried about,” she yawned, which proved a precursor to her next point, “I want a nap, after today.”

"Tell me Spring. Do you remember your parents? And whenever you do or not, would you think they were happy in the Hive?"
Squall had one last thing to say it turned out, and it caused Naj to stare openly at him for a moment.  “...A little,” she said eventually, “...and I dunno.  I'm sure they'd say they were, but that might not mean anything.  Could be better, could be wore probably.”  It wasn't immediately clear to her why she would be asked a question like that, but it seemed like the sort that would lead into something.  “Why, what's that matter now?”

• 4 weeks later...
On 23.03.2016 at 9:38 PM, PyroBlaze said:

"You don't have to do this, of course. Not like I'm gonna force you or anything." She finished, giggling slightly. She probably couldn't force him, even if she wanted to. 

"You weren't listening what I was saying earlier Flux. I have to teach you, I simply do.  You know why? Because I chosen so, something that you were avoiding doing. Which is why there will be no 'Whatever I think is better'. It's time for you to learn how to decide for yourself."

noblepony said in the firm voice. "See Flux life gives us a two great tools allowing us to walk through it. An ability to adapt, and ability to choose. So far you weren't using the later at all." Swift pointed out. "To be honest, I've been watching you as well Flux. Not as carefully as Spring of course -  kind of hard to do this with that lifestyle you practicing - but enough. And so far you are like leaf thrown around by the breeze. I am far from telling you how you should live, but Flux, one day that wind could throw that little leaf somewhere where there are no exits, leaving it to rot." Swift paused giving the quirky changeling time to digest his words. "You said you want me to teach you. But...eagerness is not enough Flux. You need the resolve. The will. The drive. All of those things that make us the blade that cuts against the wind."

Squall horn lit up and from under his cloak flew a pice of paper and the pencil. Unicorn stallion quickly wrote something on it before hoofing it to Flux.

"Those are the two addresses, as well as dates next to both of them. Again, you want me learn from me Flux? Then show me you have enough drive by choosing by yourself. At the set day be at place of your choosing - but only one. If you can't bear yourself to do that then you weren't fit for the training in the first place. I don't teach doormats."

His words may sounded harsh but it was a simple truth. Swift started at Flux for a bit before his visage softened. Stallion put one of his hooves on shoulder of purple-maned changeling. His next words were filled with warmth and understanding. "I know that may be hard. But existence is and art of choice. Not all of them are fair Flux. The choice between the love or duty is not just the stuff from theater dramas for example. Ponies and non-ponies were faced with such dilemmas in the past, in present and surely continue to be in the future as well. Other times you may be faced with choosing between the two evils....and by refusing to do it you chose both. I know what you thing ' And what if I make the wrong choice?'. But you see Flux, it's possible to make no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." he summed up before giving her the warms smile. As Squall removes his left from her shoulder however, Cedar's words reached his ears, which promoted unicorn to turn towards the other stallion.

On 27.03.2016 at 7:43 AM, RedCedar said:

"If that's honestly how you feel, then you're no better than the Hive, you're just on the other side, or perhaps you're already afraid. Either way, that will only make things worse long before it could possibly make things better."

Swift stood silent for a moment before speaking.

"...I may have misjudged you before Cedar. However naive or not you are, it takes spine to stand up to others and defend your convictions."

swordstallion almost applauded the Earth Pony. Swift turned towards the Naj for a moment, clearly amused.

"You found yourself quite a match Spring. Make sure you invite me to the wedding. I would hate to miss it." he shot her a friendly quip before returning his attention to Cedar.

"Very well Red. You have your 'battles' to attend and I have mine. And it will up to others to judge if you, I or both of us was right. I just hope you won't be caught in stuff I deal with unwillingly." the last part, Squall said with almost tangible seriousness.

"In the meantime, guard your greatest treasure well." noblepony advised while giving Spring a meaningful look "World's a better place already, simply with more couples like you two."

On 10.05.2016 at 0:48 PM, DerpRavener said:

“...A little,” she said eventually, “...and I dunno.  I'm sure they'd say they were, but that might not mean anything.  Could be better, could be wore probably.”  It wasn't immediately clear to her why she would be asked a question like that, but it seemed like the sort that would lead into something.  “Why, what's that matter now?”

"Don't you find it sad that you can't tell? I told you that most of current generation of changeling's is hateful and rotten and I keep up that belief. But I also wondering how many more less fortunate 'You's' is out there. Or how more will be born, live and die in misery, without a happy memory. And it's not just Hive doing such crimes, not against the law but the spirit.  I guess it's one of those things we fight for. So mine or yours children could say 'Yeah mommy was just a happy back then as she is now. And she kicked a lot of butts for it too!' " swordpony couldn't help but giggle a little.

"Sorry, got sidetracked a little.... But I believe you know what I want to say. Here take this." Squall gave Naj another piece of paper.

"This a date and address as you can see, the very same I wrote for Flux. In Stalliongrad that is. Training in apartment is out of question, and so is out in the public. You know, 'dead pony' and all. I have lot of place in Squallcoast Manor of course, but in 'Grad I need to make some preparations first. But that's not your concern. For now Spring take a good, long rest. You too Flux. I will be sure to put both of you through the hoops afterwards."

With that said, Swift faced Flux once again. Without saying anything he pulled a full looking pouch that he levitated to her. From it's weigh and rattle coming from inside it was clear what it was containing.

"I know you don't have a stable job. This should last you for a while Flux. Oh and if you find yourself an apartment tip me off. I can take care of that too."

Noblepony turned left and right, before pulling the hood back on his head.

"Well I guess that's make everything covered for now. I time for me to leave then, there's lot of things to take care of."

Suddenly the curtain that was covering moved aside. From the sound outside their compartment it was clear that the same happened in whole wagon as well. Next was the window opening up. Wait does Squall really was going to...?

"Oh and Spring, Flux. If something happens, give me a call. That's what friends are for."

And with that said, unicorn leap out of the speeding train. What's was more impressive, he didn't forgot to close the window afterwards.

Flux frowned at Swift's words, letting out a small whimper as her gaze lowered a bit. She didn't like these kind of choices... 

She only really gave the paper a small glance as she kept listening, not making a sound. Her gaze moved back to him as he placed a hoof on her shoulder, a small smile on her face at his next words. 

"Alright, Swifty. Alright..." She said, looking back down at the paper as he turned his attention to Red and Naj. Which one would she go to? She was going to go to one of them, she had decided that much already. 

"Money? Aww, thanks Swifty!" She said, smiling again as she took the bag and put it aside for later. Before she could go to give him a hug, he had the window open and he soon jumped out. The changeling blinked a bit before moving to the window and looking out. 

"Well that was fun. Hey, what are Stalliongrad and Fillydelphia like?" She asked, looking back to her other friends. "Also, where is this train going?"

Red settled back in his seat for Naj as she put her hoof on his. As it was, he had a hard time trying to figure out if this Squall was serious or not. In one breath he seemed content to stir things up with the changelings by making them afraid of ponies, in the next he said the world was a better place for a couple like himself and Naj being in it. If that were the case, shouldn't a situation for more such couples to exist be the most beneficial? He was ready to argue that point as well, after Squall had finished talking to Naj and Flux, except that he decided to exit the train without bothering to wait for it to enter a station first. That caused him to start a bit, except that Squall had closed the window behind him, making it adequately clear that he had meant to do that.

He settled back in his seat once again, curling a hoof around Naj. "You certainly work with some interesting ponies, Love." he said to her, now at least feeling secure enough to give her a nuzzle.

Looking back to Flux, he added, "Well, I can't tell you much about Fillydelphia, but Naj and I live in Stalliongrad," he said, glancing at the tickets. "Which, apparently, is where we were heading."  he added. Turning to Naj once more, he nuzzled her again. "Want to get off in Baltimare and spend a night there, just in light of what happened today?"

Squall seemed to back off once Red made a show of holding firm.  In some ways Naj felt she shouldn't be surprised: Red was showing a lot of conviction, especially for a civilian talking among soldiers, and Squall's main concern here seemed to be the safety of those involved.  The change in attitude was still abrupt from Naj's perspective, but overall she was just glad the two probably wouldn't be at each others' throats in the near future.

Naj tired to pay attention to what Squall said next.  Something about how Naj's relationship to her parents or lack thereof was a tragedy.  Naj might otherwise have argued that said viewpoint wasn't quite true, that while things might not be as relaxed as they were for Equestrians there were a few changelings who she cared about and who cared about her.  She might have, if not for the fact that she was floored by something Squall said, at least coupled with the way he said it.  Was he...giddy?  About the concept of somepony having kids?  If she'd found a transcript of the conversation, at this point she might think Squall was the one planning on getting married.

Squall then said a few things about where and when they'd meet in the future for training, and offered his assistance should any of them have need, before jumping out a window and shutting it behind him for good measure.  The latter act, at least, signalled a return to some measure of normality.

Naj blinked, and sat quietly for a while, before realizing that Flux had asked a question, wanting to learn about Stalliongrad and Fillydelphia.  Naj only really knew about one of those places.  “Stalliongrad's alright.  Kinda industrial, but the art district's pretty nice, and a decent amount of plantlife scattered throughout.”  She trailed off a bit at the end, and decided that Red could manage any more explanation for now.

On 6/13/2016 at 10:47 PM, RedCedar said:

"You certainly work with some interesting ponies, Love."

Naj giggled a bit, born of one part amusement and one part exhaustion.  “He's...his own thing.  I mean you're not wrong, but even for them, that one's a special case.”

After discovering that the train they were on was headed for Stalliongrad, Red suggested that they spend some time in Baltimare.  Naj wearily looked up at her coltfriend.  “Would you agree to push that back a few weeks?  I like the idea, but...”  It was very tempting, and she appreciated the thought, however at the moment what she really wanted was something familiar.  She snuggled up against Red once more.  “Right now, I just want to go home.”

(I assume it's my turn since Swift jumped out of the train. Sorry if I'm wrong, Ciraxis.)

Flux hummed at their response, tapping her chin in thought as they talked to each other. Well, Stalliongrad meant she would have friends nearby, and there would still be plenty more to make friends with!

"Hey, you two mind if I stay at your house while I find something else?" Flux asked, smiling at the two. "Stalliongrad sounds nice so far, I think I'll be there for Swifty's training thing."

The excitable changeling was looking forward to this, learning to protect herself and her friends, and she would prefer to be with Naj as she did so. 

• 2 weeks later...

“Right now, I just want to go home.”

Well, Red could hardly blame her for that after everything that had happened that day. He nodded, nuzzling her ear softly before letting her rest on his shoulder and doze as much as she needed until they got to their destination.

But then Flux asked "Hey, you two mind if I stay at your house while I find something else? Stalliongrad sounds nice so far, I think I'll be there for Swifty's training thing." Red perked his ears up and blinked at that request. He peered at Naj, then back to Flux. This was... unexpected. It was unexpected enough when Naj had moved in but now another changeling was asking to stay with him, albeit temporarily. "Uhm... I suppose, although, all I have have to offer you is the couch to sleep on." As it was, Naj was still taking up his other bedroom and he wasn't about to suggest making any dramatic changes in sleeping arrangements without at least running it by her first.

He couldn't help but snicker a little at the situation. Himself and two changelings living in the same house for a while. "Three's company" would have to be the motto for the moment.

Naj blinked at Flux's question, surprised the other changeling would want to find a place to stay, or would ever agree to be so grounded as to need one.  She had a few doubts about wanting to live in the same house as Flux, worried about how long she could deal with Flux's...bounciness, but her desire to help her friend outweighed that and she was fairly certain she could at least last a month or two if necessary.

How Red would see it was the bigger concern, and Naj turned to him expectantly.  To her mild surprise, he seemed agreeable to the idea, even somewhat amused by it even if he also said he didn't have much to offer in the way of beds.  Naj giggled a bit herself, realizing that there probably would be some shenanigans once all three of them were under the same roof.

With the only remaining immediate issue addressed, Naj leaned against Red, draped a limb over him and closed her eyes, drifting into a restless but comfortable sleep which would likely last for most of the train ride.

-[End]-

Archived