At Long Last (ATTN: Pyroblaze, Others PM for Invite)

Lux

Jijing Fengbao

It was morning as Jijing Fengbao stepped out of his tent on the outskirts of Ponyville and greeted the day. The older Qilin still had the memories of the Grand Galloping Gala fresh in his mind, especially meeting the Princess of Long Guo and her brother the Prince. Seeing them was a moment of pride but also time to reflect on his family. It was a bittersweet decision leaving his family behind as he sought to explore beyond the lands of his home, and he missed them. He especially missed his brother who he often wished that he would cross paths with him.

"I wonder where you are now, brother. I hope all is well with you. I would hope I can see you again someday."

Xieye walked down the road towards the next town, this one apparently called Ponyville. Really, he preferred to stay in Long Guo, but there could be threats in this land too that he could end before they ever made it across the water. He was in his full armor, swinging one sword around casually as he moved down the path. It was a rather nice day, so that was good, but for some reason his mind began drifting to his family. Where was his brother now? He had heard the qilin was traveling Equestria, perhaps they would cross paths at some point. At that point, he noticed a tent a ways away, and what appeared to be a qilin near it.

The longma hummed to himself, sheathing the blade before taking to the air and flying over to the tent. He paused once he realized who the figure was, making him come up short.

"[Brother? Is that you?]" He asked, landing next to the male to get a better look. "[It is you! How are you, brother?]"

• 2 weeks later...

Suddenly the Qilin sensed that there was another approaching. Though he at first couldn't tell who, from the soft hoof falls this was another who was skilled in moving silently, perhaps a warrior like Jijing. As the figure approached, or more like took flight, Jijing could see that it was indeed a Loguma, one of the two native races from his home in Long Guo. The Qilin stood to greet the guest, but soon gasped as it was his younger brother, Xieye. 

["Brother, at long last we meet again"] Jiging said going out to meet him, ["I am well thank you for asking, although I can feel time taking a toll on my body. I'm not as quick as I was years ago. How are you?"]

"[I'm doing well enough, my task does not leave much room for leisure usually.]" Xiêyè responded, smiling at the qilin. This was a pleasant surprise, truly. Even though his brother had ruined their honor with his failure, Xiêyè still enjoyed being with him. They were still brothers, after all. 

"[I can see you've gotten a bit rusty, as they say.]" He teased, prodding his brother's side with a hoof. 

• 3 weeks later...

["Oh I remember when leisure was a luxury. Now it seems that I have so much time I don't know what to do with it!"] Jijing replied happy to speak with his brother once more. After leaving his homeland and with the memories of his dishonor for not saving the town, he wondered if he'd ever see his family again. 

"[I can see you've gotten a bit rusty, as they say.]"

["I may not be fighting bandits regularly, but I still can fight when and if the time comes, and I still practice regularly. How are our parents?"]

"[No doubt you can fight, the question is wether you can fight well enough to win.]" Xiêyè replied, still smiling a bit as he looked over his brother again. That is, he was smiling until Jìjìng mentioned their parents. 

"[You don't know? They have passed from this world. We are what remains of the Fēngbào family.]" Xiêyè said, looking at his brother sadly. It did not seem likely that either of them would settle down with a wife to continue the legacy of their family. 

• 4 weeks later...

The revelation hit him harder than any strike he endured in training or fighting. He expected his brother to say that they were fine, just the way when he left them. The Qilin's normally rigid body suddenly sank like a stone in a pool. 

["H...how could this be? How could both our parents have died so suddenly?"] 

Xiêyè frowned at his brother's response. It seemed he hadn't known about that... he must not have tried to visit at all recently. 

"[They were old, brother. Both of their sons are grown and you are getting old yourself. It was simply their time.]" Xiêyè said, trotting over to put a hoof on Jìjìng's back comfortingly. 

Jijing assumed that some great tragedy had befallen their family, like an illness or worse marauders. In hearing the words of his brother, Jijing faced not just his parents' deaths but in his own mortality. 

["I knew it. I knew they were old as I am getting, but I never believed that they... that I'd hear."] 

With that and the sensation of his brother's embrace the Qilin collapsed to the ground. 

Xiêyè frowned more, watching his brother for a moment before pulling the older male into a full hug. He knew it was hard, getting through mourning their parents, he had already done that after all. 

"[Brother, I am sorry you had to find out now, but you have been gone for some time.]" Xiêyè said as he held the qilin. 

["If only I was there. If only I didn't leave to escape my shame of losing that fight, I would have been there for you and them. Maybe I couldn't prevent them from dying, but I could at least say good bye. Now I truly feel like I've lost my honor with our parents."]

"[You should visit the graves, brother. Even if you have tarnished your honor, they were still our parents.]" He responded, looking his brother in the eyes. "[They probably want you to visit, before they move to the next life.]"

["I will go and visit their graves, brother. It is the least I can do. I must put their souls to rest and my heart."]

The Qilin thought for a moment about something that took his mind off of the subject of his parents' passing. 

["Do you think... that my honor could ever be restored? What I did, how I could not protect that village, that was just a limit of my physical abilities, not my will. How can I return to what I was?"]

"[I am not certain you can return to what you were, your strength and speed are undoubtedly lower now, though your skill probably increased. Just don't give up. Train hard and use your abilities to protect those that need it. That would be a good place to start.]" Xiêyè said, giving his brother a straight answer. There was no need to lie to him about this, he was not a child. 

Jijing listened to his brother's advice about training and how his body was not and will not be as it was. 

["Thank you for that advice, but my concern is about my honor itself rather than my physical training. Do you think that time and circumstance can cleanse a dark spot on one's reputation?"] 

The message his brother explained was a sobering thought. But as he paused to think about it, it made sense.

["I understand. Much as I'd like to change the minds of those that I've wronged, I cannot. They, like me, are entitled to their own opinions, for good or ill. My hope is that I can rebuild my faith in them, not just for me but for you and our parents."]

"[That is all any could ask, that you pursue this goal to the best of your abilities.]" He said, resting a hoof on his shoulder. "[My journey shares a similar goal, to restore the honor of the family. Enough talk of such matters though, we should focus on happier things! We are reunited again after so long!]"

• 2 weeks later...

["You're right,"] Jijing said with a sigh, ["We can't go back into the past, but we can move forward. So, how did you end up here near Ponyville? I must say that this place is... unique. The ponies here are very peaceful, it reminds me of home but without the bandits and marauders."]

• 1 month later...

"[It was simply the next town in my path. I do not have any plan as to what order I visit towns in, I am simply looking for problems to solve.]" Xiêyè responded, shrugging slightly as he removed his hoof from Jijing's shoulder. "[Now that we are together, however, is there anything you want to do together?]"

• 2 months later...
Spoiler

Sorry about the wait!

["Well, since you are making your way through the area,"] Jijing said as his emotions were calmed a little bit, ["maybe there is something we can do together. I have recently visited Ponyville after arriving here. It is a nice town. Reminds me of some of the villages back home. The ponies there are very nice, even though dark forces seem to be drawn to the town. Would you like to visit it?"]

"[Ponyville? Very well, let's go see what this town has to offer. Lead the way, brother.]" Xiêyè responded, smiling at his brother. He had heard some things about this town, mostly centered around their resident princess, but still. The longma nodded, heading off with his brother once he was ready to go. 

Archived