So... Thank y'all.

TenthSpeedWriter

I just wanted to say thank you to a bunch of folks that I was pleased to meet tonight in the IRC channel.

I met fellow writers, and we shared love of poetry and prose, and of literature and music. We talked about art and we talked about politics, and I was pleased to meet a fellow fan of Crimson Tide football. More than that though, I met a couple folks who were touched by the natural disasters of earlier this year, in Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, and Joplin, or who understood the disorder and desperation that these catastrophes bring.

Y' see, I live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I've lived here my entire life, and a few months ago, I saw the neighborhood that raised me lifted off of the face of the earth. I don't... usually think think too hard on it; the days after still seem surreal, after all... but today, it's something that's weighed especially heavy on me. I didn't come into the channel this evening expecting to talk about it, nor did I expect to find anyone I would be comfortable talking about such a thing with... but I did. And I had no idea how much it would mean to me, to be able to be sincere about it for just a short moment.

I know it seems a little silly to make a whole thread over this, but... I needed to say, thank y'all.

The series that we're all here to discuss demonstrates the value of friendship, and of community, and of always doing right by people. It teaches it in the way we think we ought to teach a child, but in the end, it seems that we learn something from it ourselves. You never know where you're going to find good folks, or who might help you or who you might help, and it's worth always keeping an open heart; it's just the sort of thing my grandma always taught me, and it took me the better part of 21 years to learn.

I think I've found some new friends here this evenin', and it sure is nice to meet y'all. And I do mean all y'all.

Also.. Someone in particular was looking over some poetry I had written, and pointed out a certain piece from not too long ago. I figure it's more fitting now than it ever has been.

Silver

Dry leaves on the summer breeze

turned brown before their fall

hum dirges for the upturned roots

before the storm cloud wall

Branches lay in somber piles

the deluge in the earth

a lonely cry o'er shattered eggs

the mother mourning dove

But muggy air is wet with life

a wash of green must flow

from the sun to drown the soil

where steadfast seeds shall grow.

Oh, and I can't possibly forget...

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

You know, we recently held a large RP event, and a contest, which helped to bring Bronies in to the board.

But you know what? This. This is what we're about, at the core. This isn't the first topic I've seen where a Brony confesses to having some life troubles, and finds others who sympathize.

But this. This has got to be the best story I've heard about Canterlot so far. I frequent the IRC, and I have seen serious discussions go down about real issues.

And it's just so amazing what this series has done. It has made people brave, it has made them stand up to their fears, even people that they fear. It has brought together people from all different walks of life, countries, states, cities, black, white, purple, yellow, brown, pink, African, Asian, Mexican, American, rich, poor, old, young, WHATEVER. NONE of that matters!

Most of all, though, you hit it right on the nose: "friendship, and of community." It has taught tolerance unlike any show I've ever seen. It teaches and helps us realize that friendship is one of the most important things you can have in life, and one of the best things that you can give in return.

And I think, more unexpectedly than having male fans, it's brought in people who are hurting. Maybe it's not even that. Maybe the show, or maybe just Canterlot, or maybe a bit of both... seems to make Bronies more able to face and talk about their hurts with others. Everybody has problems, but not many are willing to share them, even with those close to them.

Tolerance, combined with the luxury of anonymity on the internet, brings that out. You can find help, without endangering your reputation. You can find others who have gone through what you've gone through, or what you're struggling with now. You can become best friends with a complete stranger. All because some little ponies taught you about friendship and magic.