[EQG] To Catch a Cheater! [OPEN!]

AlisonRose

To Catch a Cheater!

It was just a normal day like any other at Crystal Prep, another homework assignment, another test. It had all become so bland and uneventful after the friendship games. Sugarcoat adjusted her classes as she took in the smell of all the books around her now that she sat in the Library. That last test seemed almost too easy, I sure hope I didn't forget anything. She thought to herself, it was normal for her to be one of the first few people in the class to finish her tests but this really did seem off to her. Not only was she the first one to finish but she was also slipped a note into her jacket pocket as she left the classroom that told her to meet her in the Library after the test was done. So wanting to figure out what this was all about she followed the instructions. I don't know who they think they are, but whoever it is better be here soon. I mean who has meetings in the 'Reference' section of the Library. She casually flipped thru one of the nearby 'Historical Landmarks of The World' not really paying attention to the words or where the places were located but just looking longingly at the pictures.

Deep in thought Sugarcoat almost missed as someone walked up and sat next to her. It was strange, this person was clearly in violation of the school dress code for wearing a hood. He slipped her another note. “Do you want to get revenge on those girls from Canterlot High for ruining the Friendship Games for you and all of Crystal Prep?” it said in a fairly messy handwriting. “Well, whoever you are, if you had been there you would know that it wasn't ruined by anyone from Canterlot High.” She wrote back in a very speedy but clean style. “Then you wouldn't mind if something happened to the school?” He wrote back, this was strange even after all the things that Sugarcoat had seen recently this sure took the cake. With a huff Sugarcoat got up from her chair, collected her bag and books and headed to the checkout counter, not paying anymore mind to that mysterious nobody. What in the world could he have been talking about “something happened to the school?” Sugarcoat would have to bring this up to the girls from Canterlot and hopefully it wasn't something like painting every locker and room yellow. That would sure be a big mess to clean up.

With a quick text to Applejack and Sunset Shimmer she wrote: Hey, just wanted to let you know there is this strange guy here who is in total violation of the dress code and acting all funny. He left me a note asking if I would care that 'something' might happen to CHS. Just wanted to give you girls a heads up in case its someone trying to rekindle our rivalry. Either way, take it easy, see you are the Sugar Cube Corner for Hot Coco still after school?

Scene 1:

At Sugar Cube Corner.

Sugarcoat takes her seat with a hot cocoa in hand. Mulling over the ideas in her head. What could someone gain by rekindling the rivalry between the schools? Was it someone who had felt betrayed by the fact that they didn't win the Friendship Games? Was their diabolical plan to try and take over CHS in some way? It was all a little too much for Sugarcoat to take in, first what she needed was a sip of her now luke-warm cocoa. Perfect. She thought to herself as she sipped happily. Her phone sitting on the table next to her waiting for a text back from Applejack and Sunset, but knowing the two of them they would most likely be late. With her notepad she began to jot down every little detail about her encounter that she could recall, which honestly wasn't much, but she had a sinking feeling that things would soon make themselves all clear.

Applejack wasn't above some spy work and she liked a good mystery novel as much as the next girl, but she didn't think hers would start at Sugarcube Corner. A sugar rush perhaps, maybe even some tightening of the belt, but the bakery was one of the last places she would figure to start up a mystery of her very own. It started with a weird text from Sugarcoat about something or the other an Applejack figured- well, what else was she doing? Farm work done, homework done, what else was there to occupy her time? Might as well see what the hubub was about, bub. And so without responding to the text she cleaned up, got dressed out of her work clothes, and was on her way,

Not too much longer she made her way down to Sugarcube Corner, opening the door with all the familiarity she could afford it. “Howdy,” she said, tipping her hat to the counter as she fund Sugarcoat. “Mind if I sit?” She asked, waiting for the response before sitting down. She was in blue jeans and an orange and white plaid shirt, with a white shirt underneath, her stetson coming off and hanging off of one of the chairs. It was mighty impolite to sit and talk with it on, even if she forget that sometimes. “Sorry about not returning yer text, Sugarcoat. Ah try ta keep mah textin' down since Ah gotta pay 'bout half a minute per text, and the minute plans just cost so much. Wish mah other phone would just get fixed already. Huh, ta think this was state of tha art like ten years ago,” she snorted, putting away her 'new' cheap flip phone. “So, what's tha scoop?”

small.57a8d9cc9ab07_EQGWatermelonGush.pn

Watermelon Gush had survived her first few weeks at her new school without any major problems. Yet there was one thing that she had yet to do at this school: make friends. Looking around at the cafeteria area, everyone seemed to be deeply rooted in their groups and friendships, Watermelon had to wonder what her place was in school. Not to mention the fact that she felt like some social pariah having transferred from Crystal Prep, and she knew about the crazy events of the Friendship Games having seen them as a spectator. Perhaps now as she entered Sugarcube Corner, the local watering hole for the school, she could mingle without the duties of school hanging over her head. 

Surveying the place, the Freshman spotted two familiar faces. One was Sugarcoat, a student from Crystal Prep while the other was Applejack from Canterlot High. Neither of them she had the opportunity to interact with before, but there was a first time for everything. 

"Um... hi there. How are you two doing?" she said with a smile. Why was it so hard for her to talk with others when as a child she was very social? Well, this was a start. 

It was the end of the day, and Sunset had found herself a little curious about the text received about the possibility of Something going on at both Canterlot High and Crystal Prep - there was a complete lack of any real details outside the original text that Sugarcoat had sent, and that was a little bothersome. At any rate, Sunset needed to get to SCC to meet up with Sugarcoat - if there was any chance that they could figure this thing out, then she was all for it...granted it wasn't like Sunset had any ideas what this might have been pertaining to herself, but if Sugarcoat knew anything more about what was going on and the names of those responsible, that would no doubt help get things rolling. 

Pushing the doors open, she could see a small influx of students already here...some were mostly just doing their afterschool recovery, the weary looks on their faces pretty much evident of that particular fact as they sat slumped in their seat attacking whatever manner of snack and drink they had before them. She could also see Sugarcoat and Applejack, whom she waves to as she approaches the table of the pair - the other girl, watermelon,  had just arrived moments ago and was attempting to introduce herself but was seemingly not doing particularly well in doing so.

She decides to take her seat quickly, so as not to interrupt TOO greatly - it seemed as though poor watermelon gush was really having a hard time expressing her greetings and Sunset didn't really wanna get in the way of her doing that if she could help it...deciding to peruse the menu for something whilst the others got their meets and greets out of the way.

An imposing figure (for her age) entered the store. She was a statuesque highschooler , looking to be about 17 years old. A mane of messy red locks flowed past her shoulders and into the hood of... well, a hoodie. Rose had been having a very slow day so far, no assignments or requests from her friend starlight at all: It was almost worrying. Thankfully, Rose had figured out ways to sooth and worries in her head. The remedy was sweets. It is ALWAYS sweets. The flatcap on the top her head bounced slightly as her head almost automatically bobbed along to the beat playing on her phone through her earbuds. 

When she approached the counter she spent a good deal of time just staring, scanning the selection before picking out a large sugar cookie. Speaking to the man at the counter wasn't so hard. She'd learned to read lips a while ago to make up for her constant musical 'appreciation'. The words "Thank you." were spoken flatly once she received her treat, following it up with the payment. 

Rubble Rose chewed quietly on her cookie before noticing the small gathering of familiar faces. She'd seen one or two of them around the school since she'd been transferred in alongside Starlight Glimmer. It was weird enough just moving out of her home to attend a prep school when she was first approached, but now she'd volunteered for the transfer student programe due to a request from her friend: Glimmer. Just as before though, She'd have to try and expand her circle of friends. There was only one way to do that though. Rose pulled herself up and approached the table, waving to the general group. 

"'Ftanoon." She said in her unusually atonal accent, "I'm Rose. Nice to meet yeh."

Sugarcoat waved her hand at the bench seat next to her for Applejack to sit. Shortly after came a strange person that Sugarcoat hadn't had the honor of being introduced to before.

"My, chin up now and say your name with some pride." Sugarcoat spoke as she extended her hand for a handshake. Was the Sugar Cube Corner really this packed on a Wednesday? Regardless Sugarcoat wasn't going to be rude to anyone who could potentially help them figure all this out. Sure as could be, next came Sunset Shimmer. Late. Was all that Sugarcoat could think as she took her seat. "Ah, nice of you to join us Sunset. A few of your friends have already stopped by and said hello." She had already met Watermelon Gush and now was being introduced to Rubble Rose.

"Sugarcoat, thank you." She nodded politely towards Rose before she looked Applejack and Sunset dead in the eyes. With a deep sigh at Applejack's poor cellphone, she had once known the pain of pay-as-you-go plans but pretty much ever since they came out with unlimited texting shes had it as far as she can remember. "Aside from the travesty that is Applejack's phone I have a few things of note to report so far from Crystal Prep about the incident." She reached into her backpack and pulled out her small notebook that she had normally used to keep recipes in, but this was a special occasion so it seemed fitting to file this under 'Shortbread' her most hated kind of bread to make.

"All I know so far is that his name is 'Betwixt N'Between" she nodded her head as she went over her notes. "He's been seen around both campuses as far as I can tell. Twilight wasn't very helpful today, seems like she was rather busy. The most interesting part of all this is that the most serious thing that has happened at Crystal Prep is that a bunch of our test answer keys and scores have gone missing. Granted that is a grave issue since that is how our school keeps getting all the funding it has for, well, everything." She placed the list down in front of her. "So far our AP Math, AP Chem, and Biology scores and answers have come up missing but that isn't to say that there is more that are missing. My guess is that he is either planning on giving them out at CHS or attempting the same kind of heist. But to make matters worse Crystal Prep has a Mid Semester Exam coming up soon and we really need those scores and answers to be returned before that happens." She took a quick sip of her warm chocolate and looked back up at the two sitting across from her.

"Anything new on your end?" She waited hoping that they had heard of ANYTHING strange going on in their school as of late, well, less strange then normal but still more strange then everyday?

"My, chin up now and say your name with some pride." 

"Oh," the green teen said surprised by the fact that Sugarcoat... well... didn't sugarcoat things well, "I'm Watermelon Gush. I used to go to school at Crystal Prep, but now I'm at Canterlot High. Kind of tricky getting used to a new school though."

The conversation then shifted to something aptly named "The Incident." 

"So, someone has been taking test keys from Crystal Prep, huh? I wonder if it's not about a heist but about framing Canterlot High!" 

Applejack listened intently, but not all that sure this was a major problem. Rekindling the rivalry? Well, the issue wasn't rivalry. Most schools had rivals. It was the obsessive sense of superiority that had radiated from Prep year after year. Honestly, without a rival the sporting atmosphere was a bit lacking. Someone wanted to rekindle the rivalry? That was bound to happen, wasn't it? There'd be a close soccer game, controversial call, the loser would get steamed and the next game would be rougher. You didn't just get rid of rivalries just because you became friendly with small lots of fellas and lasses on the other side. You simply cut out the hate and allowed it to simmer and die off alone, like it deserved.

Sadly it looked like some nincompoop was gonna go ahead and ensure that the rivalry had some true, honest hate behind it. Sad that some people just couldn't get over themselves and their pettiness. Was the events of the Games that damaging to the pride of some Prep students that they were willing to jeopardize it this much to see it through that the rivalry once again consumed them? Heh, it was a little flattering to think that they could have such a big impact on others. Maybe not the impact she wanted, but still. And heck, it'd confirm the long held suspicion that the majority of Prep was made up of whiny little trust fund babies that wouldn't amount to much once they faced adversity! At least she got to know a few Preppers enough to know that it ain't a universal trait.

"Hmm, that sounds like a mighty silly plan if yer wannin' ta cause some sort of ruckus. What's on a private school's AP Chem and whatsuch will be different from a public school's. That and it would be mighty odd if a school didn't have electronic backups, all tha way up ta tha district. Ah mean heck, they keep our soccer team's schedule for the next five years so far entrenched that y'all would have wipe out tha whole area at once ta cut it off," she scratched her chin, "so Ah'd say it'd be likely that it ain't about what was stolen, just that we get blamed for it. Good thinkin' Watermelon," she patted the girl on the shoulder. It didn't seem like whoever was doing this was gonna be able to hurt Prep much, but the damage to Canterlot's rep could be severe.

"As for anything weird on my end...nothin' major. I didn't think much of it, but that Valen kid- ya know, one of tha exchange students, yer Vice Prez- meets with someone Ah don't know every few days near Sweet Apple Acres from Crystal and passes physical notes. Always seemed a bit weird. I asked what and why, he replied that it was official Crystal Prep Student Council business. Never went further than that. Suppose that could be involved? Valen doesn't strike me as the sort to get involved in that."

• 2 weeks later...

Sunset paused to think on anything that had occured as of late that wasn't entirely magic related...honestly, despite whatever silliness surrounded pinkie whenever she appeared, Sunset really couldn't remember anything overly obvious that had been going on, and there wasn't much that had been brought to her attention that could be related to the incidents being reported. Frankly, she was a little bemused that anything was even going on at all as everything had been so overly 'calm' lately in relative comparison to what had taken place in CHS since she'd been there - still, if there was something that needed to be looked into then she wasn't about to shirk that particular duty.

" Hmm, sounds like we need to keep ears to the ground and find something tangible. " Sunset ponders aloud, glancing at the others a moment. " If Valen has gotten himself caught up in something we don't know about, it might do good to find if there's been any change in his routine from his friends...maybe somebody who knows him closelly will also have noticed anything unusual in his behaviour! "

She didn't wanna think there was something up with one of CP's transfer students but if there was potentially anything linking them to what was apparently taking place, then they needed to really get to grips with the details and look more into the who's and why's of the scenario. Valen had struck her as one of the more interesting but mature students who'd crossed over from Crystal Prep, so to think that he might be involved in something underhanded was a very weird thing to consider...but at the same time, if there was any reasons to believe he had a motivation to carry something out then she couldn't rule that out either.

Whatever was going on certainly was a curiosity, and Sunset was definitely intrigued to see just what was really happening with all of this!

Sugarcoat

As the others spoke she jotted the things they said down in her recipe book making sure to color code them so she wouldn't credit the wrong person with helping or not helping as was the case.

"While I appreciate the sentiment from your remarks Watermelon and Applejack the thing about that is as a private funded school they don't want the information that they are teaching and testing us on to be readily available in the event of someone hacking the servers and what not. The damage that could do to us during scholastic events would be too great to risk having back ups of any kind on any of the schools computers. There are two copies of keys for each test, one that the teachers keep on file in their room and one that is kept locked up tight in the Principal's office. I do agree though that it might not be about what was stolen but that you all get blamed for it. We already know that Principal Cinch doesn't like CHS or a list of certain people, but whats worse is that this might also get blamed on Dean Cadence since her, Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna are such good friends. We really just don't want it to feel like an inside job or anything like that." She nodded her head as she talked, she wondered if they had all kept up with everything so far. Then came talk of Valen, someone that Sugarcoat had only met a few times and ran into him in the halls a few dozen more. Not for lack of attempting to avoid him but people seemed to make it a habit of bumping into her.

"Ah yes, the fearless Valen. I do sure hope that he isn't in over his head if he IS involved in this. To be honest I'm surprised that Dean Cadence didn't nominate him to get to the bottom of this. But I can see why she wanted to keep it hush hush as well." She stuck her finger into her now cold cocoa and swirled it around to dissolve the last of her whip cream.

"I guess this really doesn't give us all that much to go off of honestly. But its a start at least, maybe we could set up a meeting with Valen and talk to him about this. If he is involved I know one thing we could bring up that will make him talk." She giggled to herself before she closed her book. "If anyone has any last remarks I think we might want to either move to a close for the day and see what happens tomorrow."

As she listened to the conversations among the trio, Watermelon could see that the three had known each other for a while. But the talk of the grades being stolen was disturbing to the teen. 

"Oh, I did like Dean Cadence. She was very nice to me, much better than Principal Cinch." 

It was then that she noticed she was balling up her fists when talking about her former principal. 

"Anyway, I don't know who this Valen is, but I don't want to see him or anyone else get hurt by this hacker. I keep my eyes and ears open in case any of my friends from Crystal Prep heard of this hacking of the test scores. I may be a Wondercolt now, but I still have some connections to my former school."

"If anyone has any last remarks I think we might want to either move to a close for the day and see what happens tomorrow."

"I don't have anything else," she said before quickly adding, "except that it was really nice meeting you all and I can't wait to meet you again!" 

NeJDkdc.jpg

Rose was at this point not listening very well. Talk about stolen answers and test scores or somesuch stuff. Right now she was heavily distracted by her confection before she noticed the familiar name being dropped: Valen. She gulped down the last bit of her cookie and spoke up after hearing Sugarcoat's suggestion. "Um." She took off her headphones, "I work with Valen. I could set up a meeting with him sometime. He has been seeming rather odd lately. Being uneasy after an outing with one of his more oblivious friends and then happy on the way to meeting them."

"I could also try and talk to Starlight about this."

Spoiler

Sorry for the short post, honestly coudlnt think of much to say/do.

• 2 weeks later...

Sugarcoat

Sugarcoat adjusted the tie on her uniform a bit then stood up and closed her book. She pushed in her chair and turned to leave.

"Well then, lets meet at Sweet Apple Acres tomorrow and see what comes of it."  With a nod she began to walk away from the table when someone bumps into her, knocking her glasses off and onto the floor.

"Well how rude of you." She said softly to herself as she felt around looking for them.

Betwixed

A few tables away sat a figure that not many would have known. Listening to their conversation as best he could was Betwixed. He chuckled to himself about all of their conjecture and babble. Surely these girls weren't seriously thinking that it was all Valen who was behind this? Oh well, this made it so much easier for him to get away with his plans. First a rekindled hate for CHS and CP, then who knows what he could start or get to happen. He stands up to leave the cafe at about the same time as Sugarcoat was leaving and purposly bumped into her with his shoulder knocking her glasses off and her notebook to the floor. He left the building and disappeared into the crowd of people walking about.

[[OOC: at the end of your post will be the start of the new day, you may either start your post already being at SAA or leaving the SCC.]]

Scene 2: At Sweet Apple Acres.

Sugarcoat

Sugarcoat arrived at SAA with not much new information, but wearing her wood shop atire so she could help on the farm if she needed to, it was the simplest thing she could do to thank Applejack in helping her solve this case and hopefully save her school from going under. While not many people cared for Crystal Prep she did have a lot of school spirit. She had a feeling that with Valen's help they might be able to at least figure out what Betwixed's plans were. Much to Sugarcoat's surprise one of the other girls from CHS happened to be there as well. It was Rarity and she was talking with Presteza, a transfer student to CHS.

"Oh well hello Rarity and Presteza, I didn't plan on seeing you two here. Do either of you happen to know here Valen is?" She asked while looking around herself, this would honestly be the first time that she had set foot onto the Sweet Apple Acres. Though it was a place she had heard much about and wanted to visit, it sure was strange though that Applejack lived on a farm.

Rarity

Rarity had been busy chatting away with Presteza when Sugarcoat arrvied.

"Oh well hello Sugarcoat, it's been far too long since your last visit!" Rarity waved happily to her friend.

"Valen? We just got back from a shopping trip with him, I do think that he is inside the house getting ready to help Applejack with her chores or something to that effect." Rarity nodded pointing to the farm house. Rarity was wearing some work clothes as well, she didn't like to get dirty but she would put that aside to help her friend Applejack.

Archived