Three Corns on A Cob [Ask for Invite]

Aisede

"I spy with my little eye..." The train rocked on its sturdy tracks, an animated vista playing over the cabby's windows like a motion picture, much to Kettle's evident delight if her blindingly radiant smile was anything to go by. You could pop a kernel with that thing. The ride, while having a rather rough start as someone misplaced their ticket with the Corn cobs- somehow- was rather easy going after the complication was resolved. "Something..." Now, Kettle and her big(er) sister were en route to meetup with another of their relatives in Ponyville. Kettle couldn't stop talking about the trip for days after they decided to book a train, and now that the time had finally come, she could hardly contain her excitement. She was gonna pop at any moment!

"Yellow!" The filly's exclamation startled a few of the other passengers, dirty looks and amused smiles both directed their way. Kettle, for her part, was completely oblivious to the disruption she caused, beaming up at Caramel from the seat across from her. 

• Like 1

It was kinda funny how she got to this point, really. Caramel had gone back home to Bittsburgh during a school break, riding the train there, and now she was on her way back to Ponyville to visit her older sister. Not that she really minded, the mechanisms of trains were pretty fascinating, and she got to spend time with her younger sister this time. Speaking of, she tuned back in just in time to hear Kettle declare the color she saw. Caramel rubbed her chin a bit, humming in thought as she looked out the window to try and spot whatever Kettle had seen. 

“Tha Sun?” She asked hopefully, looking back at her sister. It could easily have been something nearby the train that Kettle had happened to catch sight of, which would mean it’d be impossible for her to see it at this point. 

• Like 1

"Nope!" She chirped, giggling into her hoof. An amused look came Caramel's way, as of the little filly could hardly believe she didn't get it right the first time. "Try again, try again! I'm sure you'll get it right this time around!"

In truth, it was herself, but she wasn't about to give it away after just the first try. She had to make her sister work for it! 

The scenery scrolling passed the window was mostly wide open planes, untouched by pony hooves except for the strip of steel they rose upon. Flowers blossomed in abundance in a large patch near them, snow white and buttercup, the fluffy tail of little critters occasionally spotted dissapearing into the floral field.

Caramel shrugged, looking out the window again for a while and humming in thought. Eventually, she spotted something that made her gasp in realization. Facing Kettle, she booped her sister’s nose and giggled. 

“It was you, wasn’t it!” She smiled, giggling a bit more. 

• Like 2

Oh, she just erupted into laughter, falling back in her seat and covering her nose. "You got it, you got it!" When she was done squealing, she beamed at the elder mare, thrusting a hoof towards her with all due enthusiasm. "Now it's your turn! Whatcha gonna pick?

She bounced eagerly on the seat, once again attracting the attention of the other passengers- and even an attendant, who seemed mildly concerned about her treatment of the seat. 

• Like 1

Caramel giggled a bit more, nodding as she started looking around for something Kettle could guess. Eventually, as she was looking out the window, the train was taking a turn and she caught sight of it. 

“I spy, with my little eye, something red.” She smiled at Kettle, letting her try to figure it out. 

• Like 1
  • Hearthoof 1

Kettle gasped, planting her face against the window to get the best look possible as a certain tasty fruit crossed her mind. "Apples! Is it apples?" It had to be apples, what else would be red all the way out there? None of the flowers were red, that she knew for sure.

Oooh, she just couldn't contain herself. She wanted to see Candy again, and maybe meetup with the other foals in town. And eat lots of yummy food that they can't find in Bittsburgh. So much to do, so much to eat!

• Like 2

“Nope!” She smiled, leaning back in her seat and watching Kettle. Trains were fun, especially red ones. Caramel was really looking forward to having the three sisters together again. Staying at the school, she had explored the area around Ponyville some. It was a nice place, but it had been good to be back home, however briefly that had been. 

• Like 1

Kettle continued her fruitless search for awhile, tooling too and thro, hither and yon, to no avail. Eventually, she turned her sights within the train, spotting a few red ponies, but none of them seemed to be the right guess either.

Pouting, she whined. "What is it, what is iiiitttt? Tell me tell me tell me!" This time, the thing she was bouncing on wasn't as plush as a train seat. Thankfully, fillies weren't known for being heavy and destructive forces of nature ~

An announcement could be heard over the intercoms, briefly drowning out Kettle's voice: "We will be arriving at Ponyville in about one hour."

Kettle gasped at this, bouncing with even more energy with a joyful squee that threatened to shatter the windows. "We're almost there we're almost there! Oh, I can't wait to try some real candy! And apples! I love apples- you love apples too, don't you? And oranges, or maybe not oranges. Oranges are kind of bitter. Unless you get the small ones- oh, the small ones are the best! Have you ever had one of the small oranges? They're really sweet and taste kind of like-" Kettle goes on to ramble about fruits a d sweets for awhile yet, driving some of the passengers to cover their ears. One lucky soul happened to pack a pillow.

Caramel giggled as she watched Kettle zip around before giving up on her search. Caramel couldn’t give the answer though, not before the announcement sent Kettle off again. She watched her sister ramble excitedly for a while before grabbing hold of her and pulling her into a hug. 

“The answer was the train, by the way.” She giggled a bit. “Apples and oranges are both nice, but there’s plenty of apples around Ponyville. Especially with the Apples around.”

• Like 1

"Apples!" She cheered, leaping into the air with cheer before coming back down to land by her side. She was like a vibrating bundle of smiles and fur, completely unable to contain her excitement. 

"Are we going to see the Apple family too?" She gasped, jumping to her hooves and looking back out the window. "Oh, maybe I'll get to hang out with other foals! We can play games and talk about food and I can show them how to make kettle corn! I think they'd really like that because kettle corn is the best corn-" she flashed a playful grin Caramel's way "-right?"

• Like 1

“We definitely could. Some of them, at least, since they’re really spread out.” Caramel shrugged, watching Kettle as she kept talking and gave a giggle at the end. Of course she would say that, and Caramel smiled at her for it. 

“Sure thing, sis, whatever you say.” She giggled, ruffling the filly’s mane a bit. “But I prefer caramel corn.” She added with a wink, giggling again. 

• Like 2

Kettle pouted, puffing out her fluffy little chest as her bigger sister messed up her mane.

She spent a couple moments restoring her mane to its perfect poofiness. Funnily enough, Kettle actually wasn't all that fond of caramel. Despite her sweet tooth, the stuff was just far too sticky and chewy for her likes.

"Hmph!" She hmph'd, then thought out something that perked her right up again, "Oh, do you think there's a Caramel Apple! That'd be sooo coool! Then I'd have two caramels!" That's when an epiphany struck her, and she gasped. "Do you think there's a Kettle Apple too!? Or a Black Kettle, or a Kettle Cookie, or Kettle Candy- Kettle Candy would make the best candy I bet-" aaaand off she goes again for the next hour or so.

It feels like the next time she takes a breath, they're already there.

"Ten minutes until we arrive at Ponyville station." Announced over the intercom. 

• Like 2

Caramel giggled a bit at Kettle’s annoyance, watching her sister fix her mane before speaking again. She had to pause before answering, thinking through the Apples she had heard about. Caramel Apple wasn’t one of those names, but that didn’t mean they didn’t exist. 

“I dunno, maybe.” Caramel shrugged. “I don’t think there’s one in Ponyville, but there might be one out there somewhere.” Of course, that was about when Kettle started off again in earnest, so Caramel just shrugged again and fell silent. Once the announcement came through, she looked out the window, kinda surprised at how the time had flown by. It had seemed like a longer ride the first time...

”We better start getting ready to get off, we’re almost there.” She said, getting up to start collecting their things and making sure everything was accounted for. Once the train pulled into the station, she walked off with her sister in tow, looking around to see if she could spot Candy. 

• Like 1