A Snowball’s Chance. [Attn: Ice Storm]

Skycoaster

DJMMuDo.png?2

Blizzard sat at his desk in his quarters, a hoof to his head. Scattered on the desk where various guide and regulation books. With a deep breath, he’d look in the direction of one of the many bookshelves that lined the walls. Two more books levitated over to him, this time one on moral; the other on patrol scheduling. He’d read a few chapters on each before looking to the calendar on his wardrobe. “Why did you have to take a leave now…” he muttered looking at just how many days Fire Walker was going to be away. He had so many side projects on his plate, being officer on duty was not one had planned or prepared for. Even worse yet, it had been arranged for another officer from a different branch to help keep the Twilight Guard in order while it’s senior most officers where away. 

For the most part, the icy unicorn had been left to his own devices since joining. Being a gifted spell writer had its perks, including what he referred to as his research time. A new book…well new to him…sat on the shelf behind him, one from his family’s past…. His daydream of reading that book was broken by a knocking on his door….

• 2 weeks later...

~~~Ice Storm~~~

It had been a while since Ice had been summoned for guard work inside the castle. She was usually working on bigger projects that guard duty, but she wasn't going to scoff at it either. Guards played a pivotal role in just about everything, and being the commander of STAR also meant pulling up the slack when some other officials needed some help. That seemed to be the case now with Fire Walker being on leave. She almost didn't believe they letter that said that Applejack had been injured. She'd only met the mare a couple of times, but the stories she's heard the pony was like a brick. If she was hurt she'd hate to see the other pony. She's didn't have a uniform for the Twilight Guard, so instead she just wore the armor that Luna had made for her. 

She wasn't entirely sure who else she'd be working with here or what their level of training was. She knew that to be in the castle they had to be at least decent. That was the standard that Luna and Celestia had set, and if anything she'd figure Twilight to be even stricter. She found herself in from of the main office to find out who she'd been paired with. She knocked on the door. She made her way into the room and have a proper salute. "Commander Ice Storm reporting for briefing and assignment," she said before realizing who she was talking to. "Blizzy?"

Blizzard’s head would raise from the desk as his eyes moved to meet the pony who had entered his modest quarters that doubled as an office. His expression sank for a moment before he forced a smile. In the back of his head he knew this day would come, but why did it have to come under these circumstances. 

Sitting up, Blizzard would motion for the blue unicorn to take a seat next to him as he pulled out another chair. “I’m sure you heard the news about Captain Fire Walker. If you could close the door behind you please.”

Blizzard put a hoof to his head as he sighed. “I have no idea what in the name of Celestia I’m doing,” as his other hoof pointed to his desk. “Rosters, rotation schedules, meal breaks, and that doesn’t even cover the tasks outside of just basic patrols.” With a sigh, his head would go back to his desk. “You command a whole branch. I’m sure this is simple to a pony like you.”

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm nodded, both to hearing the news about Fire Walker, and to shutting the door behind her, throwing a silence on it for good measure just in case anything confidential came up. She was glad she did, cause shift rotations and times while not necessarily confidential, could still be taken advantage of at times. She herself have used such tactics in the past when acquiring things she needed to get Star started. When he said that something like that and directing things would be simple for a pony like her, she scoffed a bit. "Hardly. I make sure that the sub commanders are where they need to be, and then they take care of the rest of the staffing. That said, let me take a look at things here and see what kind of staffing we're working with here," she said approaching the desk. "If I may?"

Blizzard rose his head from his desk before he motioned for Ice Storm to take a look. He'd extend his hoof for her to take a look at all the papers and manuals strewn about. Quickly, however, he'd notice one book that was not meant for anypony else's eyes. It was a leather wrapped book with his cutie mark embossed on the front cover. The spine also had this same mark as well as Twilight's central mark, the symbol of this branch or the guard. Quickly, he'd tuck his spell book into a pocket within his robes.

"As you can see, it isn't like we have a huge roster to work with. There are times I think we're more of just an honor guard then a functional branch. Captain Fire Walker would sometimes use standard Royal Guards for some of the 'less essential' rounds, but I wouldn't risk trying to requisition from the general pool....at least not as just a commissioned officer...and a new one at that."

Chuckling, he'd look to Ice Storm as a thought came into his mind. "You know, after I first joined, I thought the only reason I was recommended was so that the Princess and Captain could keep an eye on me. Funny, right? I'm sure they don't do that kind of thing...."

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Blizzard wasn't kidding when he said that the roster was thin. She let out a frustrated sigh when he made mention about the guard being nothing more than an honor guard than anything else. "Tell me about it," she said, noticing the book briefly but putting pieces together she kinda figured what it was. She never used a spellbook herself, all of her magic was innate. She could probably share some spells with him later, but for now she needed to refocus. "Believe it or not, the royal guard wasn't much different. The incompetence that most of them showed in the past invasions was the entire reason I made STAR. To get a competent group of ponies together to help protect our land. From threats both outside and in," she said looking over the roster. 

"Well, we at least have enough guards to maintain a patrol, but they would be a bit further spaced out than normal. We could go with singular patrols, but that would be unwise. It's actually pretty easy to overpower a single guard. Especially if somepony got the jump on them. So moving in pairs, or the buddy system like we call it in STAR, can help prevent that, so as long as they've been properly trained. That being said, since we are short staffed, we should probably help with the rounds," she said, setting her saddle bags down. 

When she heard Blizzard mention Twilight Manning him a member of the guard to keep an eye on him, she nodded. "That's probably exactly what it was honestly. That was part of the reason Luna made me one of her personal guards after I told her I was founding my organization. Both so I could convey information to her, and that if I started slipping down a less savory path, she could pull me back. Though I'll admit... It feels weird for it to be the other way around now. Since she retired, she's actually one of STAR's officers. That being said though, I definitely wouldn't take it personal. A court wizard is a big deal. Besides, I hear the Canterlot Magic Guild needs a new Archimage for Ice, considering I live in LP now."

• 3 months later...

Blizzard nodded to his fellow ice mage. "That's what I was thinking as well. As for guard incompetence...a lot has changed since then, hasn't it," he'd say stroking his goatee. "From what the Captain has told us, STAR is a great asset to Equestria. Most of what goes on in Las Pegasus is well above my pay-grade though. For now I'm just a mere lieutenant serving Princess Twilight. I'll stick to the dusty archives of lost spell books and forgotten artifacts of Canterlot Castle and let you and your team handle the fun..."

"Throne Room duties are at least assigned," he'd say with a sarcastic chuckle. "Captain Fire Walker made sure to post it in advance otherwise there is bickering about favoritism. I'm sure that's something you don't have to deal with." With a quick glow of his horn, Blizzard's quill would begin to fill a parchment. As he dotted the last I and crossed the last T, he'd flip up the hood on his robes. Walking towards his Captain's office, he'd post the assignments on the board. "Well, that is done. I believe the next task is to get get a quick bite to eat and talk about this Arch Mage thing. After that, I believe you are to be set up in the visiting officers quarters across the hall from Captain Walker's office."

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice gave a bit of a sarcastic look to Blitz when he said that a lot has changed in the the recent months in response to incompetence. "I don't know. I mean, I don't know how long Fire Walker has been running on a staff like this. A depleted staff is bad for security, and if that staff has not been adequately trained... Then that opens up an entire slew of issues making it not only potentially dangerous for those who stay in the castle, but those on guard as well," Ice said with a sigh. "At least it looks like none of them are fresh, and she has the most experienced on the throne room. Though me personally, I would have split them up. Having that experience both by the throne and in Twilight's wing would be invaluable," she stated.

With the rounds posted, the next suggestion was to go get food. That was probably wise, as she hadn't eaten since she'd gotten to Canterlot. "That sounds like a plan to me! I'm starving! Though since we're already here, we should probably at the very least drop my stuff off at the visiting officers quarters instead of going out, and then coming back, and then putting everything away to start the shift. This way we can eat, take our time, and then hit the patrols. Hopefully that noodle restaurant is still open. Since being in Las Pegasus I've fallen in love with Neighponese style noodles," she says with a smile. "Though it is a bit odd. The letter I got from Twilight says I'd be rooming with you for the duration. Or rather that I would be sharing the bunk with the acting captain. I'm okay either way... would actually save us time if that's the case since my stuff is already here," she smiled. 

Blizzard sighed as he rubbed his temple. "It wasn't always like this. This past year has taken a toll on all of us, Twilight Guard included. Between all the injuries, illnesses,  and a maternity leave... its a wonder that nothing bad has happened. It's amazing how quickly an illness can cut through a roster. I guess the one bright spot is that we are on the recovering side of that staffing nightmare. I guess being anti-social has its advantages when it comes catching illnesses and other things."

He nodded to Ice about moving Ice Storms things. "I believe that letter was sent before our situation got this dire. Just think how many of our ranks have fallen ill for a Lieutenant to be acting captain. I think loosing Applejack was the biggest blow however and I'm glad she's on the mend." Looking back into his small little combination office and living space he would chuckle. "Besides, not a lot of room in there and only the one bed, there would have to be some interesting sleeping positions to make that work..." A pale red blush would show on his face for only a few seconds. "I think this is what she had in mind," as he levitated the door open and turned on the light. "This is where Applejack stays I believe when she is working with us so the letter would have made sense then. This office and bed rivals even that of Captain Walker," he joked. "I can only imagine what your quarters in Las Pegasus are like to compare..."

"As for food, I believe the noodle place is still there....or at least it was last time I was out and about. I could go for some Mushroom Lo Mein myself." Blizzard had to chuckle a bit. "Or is it Cho Mein. I can never seem to get those two straight. Lead the way."

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice listened as Blizzard spoke, explaining the situation a bit more. That between maternity leave, illnesses, and injuries everything had kinda taken it's toll, and that the letter about them rooming together was before everything got bad. "Well," she says as they walked. "While the captains quarters all small, it might be best for us to stay together anyway and share the space anyway. It makes the most logical sense because with two of us acting out of that office now, were going to bed that extra space for preparations, especially if anything were to go down while I'm here. I'll take the top drawer then, and you can have the second one. We'll pick up your things later since we're already on the way out," she added, picking up on his blush. "Besides, awkward sleeping positions are common practice in the fields," she smirked, walking into the room as it was unlocked.

Much like she was expecting, the room was fairly spacious. A large dresser was on the far wall with a vanity mirror above it, and a standing mirror in the corner. The bed was at least a queen size, and sat on the wall opposite of the dresser. She moved over to the dresser, and without a second thought started putting things away, making no effort to hide her overnight protective items, and supplies to deal with issues in kind. She finished up and she heard her stomach growl a bit at the mention of noodles again. 

"I'll probably get the chicken lo mein myself or the Miso soup lo mein. Maybe both... I could eat both," she giggled, stepping back into the hall andb leading them outside. 

The sun was exceptionally bright today, and Ice actually had to hold up a hoof to shield her eyes. "I think somepony forgot to tell Twilight that Canterlot was on a mountain, not in a dessert," she said, letting her eyes adjust. It didn't take long for them to make it to the noodle bar either.

• 3 weeks later...

Blizzard's stomach rumbled as he followed Ice Storm out of the castle. "I wonder if we'll see anypony of notoriety at the restaurant?" he'd add. "I haven't really got out much since I started my position. I'd normally just eat at my desk. I guess old habits die hard," as he referred to all his time alone in the Frozen North. "I guess it is good to get out every so often. I think my list outing on my own was Hearthswarming in Ponyville believe it or not."

As Ice mentioned the bright, hot sun, Blizzard smirked. He was perfectly comfortable in his robes that made up his uniform. Their enchantments kept him at an ideal temperature no matter what the outside weather was. "Perhaps you should get a set of robes instead of armor," he'd chuckle. "I'm perfectly comfortable in here. I was skeptical at first, but Captain Fire Walker and Princess Twilight had a great idea....though I think I'm still the test." he'd laugh.

With the noodle place in sight, he'd extend his hoof for Ice to enter and order first before giving his order and offering to pay for her meal as well. He would take a table in the corner, keeping his back facing the walls. It was another weird habit he had, and one he almost did not know he was doing, though after sitting down he hoped Ice didn't notice.

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm shrugged when Blizzard asked about seeing any ponies of note. It wasn't like they themselves weren't ponies of note anymore. A Royal Guard Captain, and a former Royal Guard Captain that is now the Commander and Chief of an entire branch of the Equestrian military. Still, she smiled when he said that he'd been reluctant to leave the Captain's Quarters to much outside of duty. That old habits die hard. "I can kinda say the same, but for different reasons. Not so much that I want wanting to go out, but putting missions before personal interests. I recently just got back from Neighpon investigating a few things over there. That investigation could prove to be the basis of an alliance," she started.

When he mentioned something about his robes keeping him a comfortable temperature, Ice smiled. "The robes are nice, but I usually just stick to my tried and true method," she said, creating a thin layer of hardened ice plates over her body. "Though I could see other ponies getting use out of those for similar issues. If you are the test for it, then I'd consider it a success," she said as they made their way into the noodle shop. 

She smiled and nodded to Blizzard as he asked to pay for her meal. "I'll let you pay for the first bowl... I never only eat one..." She said with a smile as they were seated. She did notice that blizzard positioned himself back to the wall, but didn't comment as she did the same. It was a common trait in ponies that have served in the guard of any stretch of time or have had traumatic experiences. The most dangerous threat is the one you can't see coming. 

The waiter came over as she looked up from the menu. "I'll take the strawberry mango tea, and three bowls of your miso and spinach ramen, with water chestnuts and extra sprouts," she ordered with a somewhat apologetic smile. 

Blizzard sat there stoic as Ice made her order, though on the inside he was in shock at the large amount of food that she had just ordered. When the waiter turned her attention to him, he'd sigh. "Green Tea with Honey and Lemon please." as he looked back to his menu. "Can we get an order of Egg Rolls as an appetizer. As for the main course...Just the Mushroom Lo Mein please." He'd levitate his menu to her and smile. 

Looking to his counterpart, he'd frown as their waiter walked away. "It's hard to believe that its been over ten years since I've been in a restaurant," he'd try to force a fake chuckle to cover his true mood. "I guess when you live off canned good for so long, you never really miss hot meals with verity. On rare occasionally I'd have some yak cuisine to brake up the monotonous meals. To be honest though, I preferred the canned goods."

As the waiter came back with their drinks and egg rolls, he'd levitate only one to himself and offer the remaining ones to Ice. "One side effect of living up there was my apatite seems to have shrunk," he'd say with another forced laugh.

"I'd assume you have the complete opposite problem of me in Las Pegasus. I'd imagine they have every type of restaurant under Celestia's sun..."

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice was thankful that Blizzard didn't seem to mind too much about her large order. She was a bit surprised when she heard that Blizzard hasn't been to a restaurant for years and generally preferred canned goods. "Wow, yeah we seriously need to get you out more often. You're missing out on a whole bunch of stuff," Ice replied, taking the offered egg roll in her magic before taking a bite. "I mean, like you said... Old habits do die hard. It took me a couple years to get used to how Las Pegasus runs, considering the only places I'd lived prior to were Canterlot and Ponyville. Ponyville is laid back and easy going, where Canterlot tends to the more sophisticated. It at least that's like they want to believe. Ice been working on trying to make the nobility better, but it's a slow process."

When Blizzard brought up Las Pegasus, she nodded. "Yeah, LP is practically littered with them. Every casino has three or four inside of them with their main restaurant being a buffet. But nothing in that city ever stops. It's like a constant party and there's always something to do. When you live their though and have to deal with the logistics of it all... It can get a bit overwhelming. But, at the same time... That's what a good staff is for. And the way you get good staff is by building relations with them and listening to the ponies who work for you, you can get a great team. Obviously you can't always accommodate everything, but there's always a work around," she said, finishing her egg roll. 

"You know. The next time you have some free time, you should come out there. You can stay at my hotel in a suite on the house. I can even throw in a few shows while you're at it. Just unwind and see some sights. You were in the north for how long? Equestria's changed quite a bit the last few years, and you deserve a bit of fun."

• 1 month later...

Blizzard sighed as Ice suggested that he get out more. "I'm perfectly happy in my office or library for now. Besides, the mess hall is certainly an upgrade from what I was used to before." Taking a sip of his tea he'd give a small smile. "Baby steps though. Even as a foal I was quite the introvert...though I did have a jealous streak a mile long. To an extent, I think a may still...,' as he sipped more. "That's how you can tell I was born in Canterlot, between that and the way your elders judged every stage of your life with a disapproving eye. Other then my parents, most of my family didn't really accept me. My one grandmother would make little remarks that I'd hear about 'having too much Snowfall in me...' whatever that meant. Someday I need to finish mom's side of the family tree."

When the talk turned to Las Pegasus, Blizzard was quick to help change the subject as he listened to how that city never seemed to sleep. "If we ever get enough guards, I may just have to take you up on that offer. Besides I would like to continue the conversation I never was able to finish with that blind friend of yours." The unicorn would look up just as the waiter was bringing the four plates of food. "I'd feel guilty leaving the Princess ever more short staffed then she is now."

The gray eyed unicorn would take his plate in his own levitation and set it in front of himself. Taking a few moments to take in the aroma of a restaurant cooked meal. He'd carefully take his first bite to enjoy the flavor before looking over to Ice Storm. "So...how is your meal?"

~~~Ice Storm~~~

"I mean, I can't really say much on that myself. I was homeless when I was a foal, so I know exactly what that feels like. Though I suppose it might be different choosing to be alone rather than having it forced upon you," Ice replied to Blizzard's comments. "And I suppose the mess would be quite the upgrade from an igloo kitchen... although sometimes I'd rather have the igloo kitchen if I'm being honest. Like I said, the life in a city like LP is a bit more hectic than I would like. Nevermind the fact that I'm hardly there anymore. Always on some sort of mission anymore, or helping the princess in some way," Ice said, before smiling. "I suppose that's what it means to be dependable though. When a pony needs something important done, they always come looking to you. It is a bit of a prideful feeling, though I'll admit I wouldn't mind sharing that dependability a bit," she laughed a bit.

At that point, their food arrived, and Ice could already smell the noodles, taking in a bit sniff. She levitated up the chop sticks that were provided with her magic and wasted no time in slurping up half of the first bowl. The wonderful flavors of the Miso and the Spinach combining. She would get to the sprouts and the water chestnuts here in a bit as she swallowed. "Oh, that really hits the spot," she said, drinking some of the broth. "But you really should. I know you don't wanna leave the princess high and dry, and believe me, I don't either. But even Twilight would know that everypony needs a break every now and again. Not everyone can sit in a library or an office for a week straight and call it a vacation," she giggled. "Plus I'm sure Mythie would love to see you again, in her own way. You really made quite the impression on her," she said, tilting the first bowl back to finish it off before pulling the second bowl over.

"Plus," she said between munches. "Like I said, you wouldn't even have to pay for anything the first time. Just whenever you're ready, and Twilight has enough staff for it, you should come out some time. As often as I've been getting called away for missions recently, I can't guarantee that I personally will be there, but I'll make sure that my staff know that you're coming and everything will be comped. Well, mostly. I'm willing to go comp up to fifteen hundred bits for the casino, but if you lose fifteen hundred in one setting iiiiit's probably time for you to stop anyway," she laughed again.

• 1 month later...

Blizzard would continue to savor his meal, listening to Ice Storm. "I bet Princess Twilight would consider a week in a library her vacation," he'd chuckle, taking one last bite of his Lo Mein. "I'll take you up on that offer though I don't want anything too grand. A tour of the city, maybe a few meals....maybe a few social visits. Perhaps take in a show or two. Oh," as his eyes lit up like a filly at Hearthswarming, "Are there any museums? I'm sure that Mythie was it? Might enjoy the magical artifacts if they have any on display." 

"I do have something fun....er well something fun to me planned for my next shift off. I don't know if you'd want to join me, buy I've been granted permission to view the Canterlot censuses, going back almost 400 years." Blizzard would finish off his tea next before looking to Ice. "If your still here in a few days, perhaps you'd like to join me. Maybe you have a long lost ancestor from Canterlot. Perhaps I can finally find out who this Snowfall my grandmother always was talking about..." He had to stifle a chuckle as a thought went through his head. "You know, with a book as old and as large as that, I bet a certain Alicorn might decide to join us. Just think, all three of us in a Library again. Good times..."

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm slurped back the rest of the noodles from the second bowl and both they and the broth were gone in a matter of a few moments. She couldn't help but let out a laugh at Blizzard's comment about Twilight. "Ha! Ain't that the truth! I bet if we left Twilight in a library long enough, she could figure out how to rip apart reality or something. Especially if it's a magical library..." Ice said with a shudder. "I don't even want to think of all the weird stuff that could happen..." 

As he talked about taking her up on her offer, Ice smiled. "Of course. There are all kinds of shows around town. I highly recommend going to one of Windy's shows on the weekend. The wait leading up to it is a bit boring because of you want a good spot you need to get there about the hours before the show starts at least. I wouldn't bring a book though unless you know a waterproofing spell," she cautioned.

"As far as museums and the like go, unfortunately, I'll have to refer you to my friend Golden Bit. She owns the Mareage, and was one of the founders of Las Pegasus. Ice only been there a few years myself so I'm still learning all of what's there. I imagine there are some historic areas and the like that Golden would probably love to show you," she added.

When Blizzard mentioned that he did have something fun planned for his next day off, or rather fun for him, she listened with interest. He had been given permission to view the Canterlot Consensus going back 400 years. "Oh wow... That is a lot! From what I heard from Twilight in the letter, I'm going to be here for a week or so... Which means I'll probably have to pay Med Bank a visit to get some more of my supplies before I go home. Though for it to be like old times again, I'm gonna have to freeze the door shut," she said, sticking her tongue out at Blizzard.

"I think that would be good though. I'll be about to see if I have any siblings running around that I don't know about. I have no doubt that my mother was hurt by my leaving, but my dad could have cared less and probable would have knocked up half of Fillydelpia for all I know. A real work of art that one was. And then there's Golden Hoof, the one that caused everything. It's actually a good thing I was told he was dead... Had he not been... I probably would have used the resources I've gained at this point to take care of him myself, and I'm thankful that I didn't have that opportunity. Because that's a road that... Once you go down, and start h hurting others for your own gain... It's a road you don't come back from and makes you no better than the ones that put you to through Tartarus to begin with. It would be nice to see what other family I have though," she concluded.

• 5 months later...

As the unicorn finished his meal, and downed the last of his tea, he'd chuckle. "You'd be surprised. Your father wasn't a candy maker was he? I've heard rumors of a chocolatier whom seemed to...pardon my expression, paycolingt his way through most of the eastern cities and farms of Equestria. I only have a few aunts and uncles though, mostly on my father's side. My mother's side is the one that I am most interested in. That's the unicorn line it seems. It's just funny. My father would talk about his grandparents and joking about being related to some long ago pony of power or general. Mom and grandma wouldn't mutter a word. My father said they would use to...till I was born. It's strange. I felt like when I got my mark, their was a disconnect with my grandmother...."

As he was about to continue, the bill would come. "I got this. If you'd cover the tip, I'd call it even," he'd say. As he walked over to pay at the register, "Oh, and add a bottle of saki to be delivered to Captain's guest quarters tonight. After all this paperwork, we're going to need it," he'd say looking back to Ice Storm before flipping up the hood on his cloak. "Perfecting timing. I believe our shift of rounds begins in 15 minuets. Let's hope it's a slow day."

• 2 weeks later...

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice shook her head when Blizzard asked about her father. "No, the stallion that gave me life, as I refuse to call him a father, was a jeweler. I suppose that could count as a candy store for the rich that have nothing better or more helpful to spend their bits on," she said, listening as he spoke further. "At least you knew your grandmother. I don't know what other family I have out there, if anything at all, outside of now Raven, Myth, Feather, and Nira. I honestly have no idea. I mean, for all I know I could be, well no, I doubt any of the princesses are desperate enough for that low life of a stallion. But I could literally be related to anyone and not know it."

About that time the bill showed or up and she finished her second bowl of noodles. "Yeah, I can get the tip," she smiled, dropping a small bag of bits on the table. It was still decently full, but didn't seem to worry that much about it. She couldn't help but roll her eyes a bite as he ordered some saki for after the shift. "Expecting a night with me to be that bad huh?" She teased.

They had made their way back to the palace and just in time as well. Ice quickly donned her armor, though quickly still taking about five minutes before she stood next to Blizzard. His robes a stark contrast to her armor, though he would be quick to see that Ice had no weapon. She didn't need them. When he says he was hoping they it's a slow day. "I would hope so too. If it's not then that means we have bigger issues going on than an active patrol."

Blizzard would look to Ice Storm with a raised eyebrow. "I'm sure you remember how our first meeting went. Just something to relax with after this stressful day is in the books....and paperwork..." 

As Blizzard waited for Ice Storm to prepare, His mind went through just all the different things that could go wrong. He didn't fear an attack or anything of that sort, but more policy breaches, mistakes, shits changes, or even a mispronounced name being announced to the princess. His signuture was on all the paperwork as 'Acting Captain,' and didn't need nor want to have anything extra after his patrol. At least Ice Storm was here to assist with questions that were not in Fire Walker's guides or Twilights long, long, long, notes.

When Ice rejoined him after what seemed to be an eternity, though the clock had only ticked away five minuets, he'd look over her armor. He'd sigh deeply then chuckle. "You know, I feel a tad under dressed," as he tried to crack a joke. "Everypony in color coordinated armor, and then there is me. At least I can say my robes are one of a kind....for now." As he began the rounds with Ice, he'd taken the rout that would bring him past most of those on duty today. After passing the first few posts and receiving a salute and a sir, he'd return the salute and look to Ice. "How long dose it take to get used to that?" as the kept walking.

• 4 weeks later...

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm countered Blizzard's raised eyebrow with one of her own when he asked if she remembered how their first meeting went. "Um, if I remember correctly, I was the guard on duty for the night watch around Canterlot, and you were caught breaking an entry into the restricted section of a closed library," Ice said, her face morphing into a smirk. "Quite the catch if you ask me now," she giggled, jabbing him lightly with her elbow. "And I think that chance meeting worked out better for you as well. You're not alone in the Frozen North anymore, you should be thanking me," she added with an eye wink, sticking her tongue out at him.

When Blizzard commented on her armor comparing it to his robes, Ice smiled a bit. "I mean, to be fair, this is the same armor that I nearly arrested you in, but yeah. Princess Luna actually had this armor specially made for me as part of my founding of STAR and joining her Guard. Before this, I used to summon my own armor around me. Plus, being in the Lunar Guard made things a lot easier for me to inform her about the operations with the organization while it was still undercover. In fact, I was already setting things up when I was on guard duty that first night we met, and believe me when I say, after our little run in at the library, I had contacts watching for you at all times. I knew when and where you were in Equestria at almost all times. Not, in the creepy stalker kind of way, but the, 'You're accessing restricted magic in secrecy and could be a potential danger' kind of way. Thankfully though, I don't have to worry about that anymore so I've turned my attention to more dangerous ponies," she let out another laugh. "But, I've never been happier to be wrong about something, and I think your robes look great. They are fitting for you."

When they started their rounds, ponies throughout the halls were saluting them, and the more they saluted, the more flustered that Blizzard got. He asked her how long it took for one to get used to that. "Eh... if I'm being honest, you don't really. You just get better at masking it. If you ever reach a point where you're taking salutes for granted and you're expecting them, then I firmly believe you've reached a point where maybe you're no longer deserving of the position that you're in. For me, the only time I actually require them would be when I'm spearheading a serious mission, and even then, only to make sure everypony is on the same page and that communication is getting where it needs to. Shoot, I don't even like being called commander most of the time," she answered as they walked through the halls.

He'd chuck to Ice Storm's comment about the Frozen North. "You know, other then eating canned rations for a living, my snow igloo was fairly comfortable. Believe it or not, I even had a visitor there.....once.....Glitter or something like that. Think I only ever saw her once since." He couldn't help but think of all those copies of magic books he transposed himself. Heck, his own spell book that he kept with him now started that way. "You know, in that solitude, a mind can come up with some odd spell ideas."

Hearing that Ice had been having him watched because of him accessing that section of the library made him shoot Ice Storm a cold glare before he began to chuckle. "I kind of figured that's why there were all those unaccounted for hoof prints came from. You know whats funny now is that I have unrestricted access to the castles library and some of the most power spells ever written. It was defiantly a good trade off," as he forced his best evil laugh. After a few moments though it would turn into just a normal laugh as he winked to Icy.

Blizzard would nod to Ice as she talked about the salutes. "I guess time is the key then." The rest of the the rounds would go as uneventful as was hoped. The stallion would do some paperwork from his desk in his quarters before transferring command to another Lt. This one from the night guard. Finishing his paperwork, he'd hang his robes up before heading to the large room that Icy had. As he entered he held the saki in his levitation, as well as a bottle of Sweet Apple Archers Hard Cider. "Don't tell Applejack I know about their 'limited run' cider." he'd chuckle as he poured them both a large mug.

~~~Ice Storm~~~

"Is it sad that I actually have no problem believing that it was? I'm pretty sure that I'm the only other pony in Equestria that could find The Frozen North comfortable," Ice laughed. She then listened as he talked about even getting a visitor, and then commented on the hoofprints that were randomly appearing that weren't accounted for. She smirked. He apparently paid as much attention to details as she did. She wasn't surprised though. That's the only way a pony could survive in a place like that.

She smirked again when he added that he now has access to better stuff anyways and couldn't help a playful jab when he went into an evil laugh. "Careful there, or I just might have to place you on house arrest," she said with a bit of infection in her voice and a flick of her tail. "With myself as your personal supervisor. Just like old times eh?" She added.

The rest of the patrol was just at uneventful, and as they made their way back to where she was staying. She made her way inside after Blizzard as he held up the saki and she nodded. "I would love some, and done worry. I don't live in Ponyville anymore, so I couldn't tell AJ if I wanted to," making her way over to the bed, using magic to undo some of the straps on her armor. She then noticed her saddle bags still on the bed. "Odd... I thought I put those a way when I was in here," she said, shrugging and sitting on the bed. Perhaps it's was a sign of they were going to be drinking a bit tonight. She simply patted on the bed next to her. "Come, there's plenty of room for both of us to sit."

• 3 months later...

Passing the mug off to Ice Storm he would sit on the bed next to her. "Today didn't go as bad as I thought it would." as he took his first drink, the froth sticking to the hair on his lip. "And this is the perfect ending of today. And to think, the castle isn't coated in ice and snow from some epic ego battle like some may have thought. At least with tomorrow being a day off, we should be able to just relax and enjoy the evening. We'll just have to remember not to go too hard on the cider and saki though, I did manage to sneak in a desert order to the mess hall. I guess being in charge for the day has one perk," he'd say with a wink.

"One think I've wondered is how are you able to run your group in Las Pegasus, run your casino, and then the ice cream shop, and on top of that, do missions? Between my magical research and occasional filling in for the captain, I have my plate full....that of I have some form ADHD and hyper focus when it comes to learning spells." He would chuckle. "It's funny, I can remember spells and books I read five years ago, but not the face of a pony I met the day before."

A knock would come on the door as Blizzard would rise to answer it. After a few moments, he would return with a warm apple pie and vanilla ice cream in his levitation. "The best of both words of hot and cold," he'd say with a wink before setting on the table in the room. "What are the odds your company made this ice cream?" He'd give Ice a fairly large slice with a scoop of the frozen treat on top of it before doing the same for himself. "Hmmmm, Kinda looks like an iceberg on top of the pie," as he looked back to his cutie mark before laughing and taking a bite.