A weekend of R&R, nothing more (Dusty)

Blueblood

image.png

Very few in Ponyville would have called Spoiled Rich a mare of sweet disposition.  Frankly, she had for most of her life had an attitude as sour as her maiden name of Spoiled Milk, and only a set of family crises and a burgeoning political career had done anything to dislodge those old habits in these past few years.

The effort was genuine, but the stress was real.  That, on top of the actual duties of the Mayor, were quite a burden on the mare.  Additionally, her home life had been slowly cooling into a less and less restorative environment, leaving her with very few spoons for anypony that might happen to walk into her office.  Her secretary in town hall, seeing trouble brewing, had gently nudged calendar items and appointments around to give Spoiled a free weekend, but in order to induce it, she would need backup.  So, she had sent note to a prominent friend of hers.  Surely, a sphinx would have little trouble convincing her to take a restorative weekend, right?

Well, Ponyville could only hope, because Spoiled Rich had been scowling at the same document for the past three minutes, and if something didn't defuse her soon, she'd likely visit some unpleasantness upon the poor author...

• Hearthoof 1

Some found the friendship struck up between Nilaavin and Spoiled odd. And in some regards he had too admit it was. He certainly did not go into meeting her the first time with the idea of friendship, let alone holding her up as a truly trusted friend. Yet over the months he found that to the outcome. She was engaging to speak with and viewed him with respect yet she held her ground. She did not see him as nothing more or less than her equal. And he respected that. A respect that flowed both ways as they more than once shaird long evenings chatting away like two pride mates over countless topics. So when he got a letter to act on this friendship and force her to take a weekend off for once he found himself unwilling to turn down such a task. She needed it and he knew it as much as her secretary. And so he took to the task over the week and after a few letters back and forth between him and the secretary everything was set in place. All he had to do was talk the thick headed mare into leaving Ponyville for the weekend, that’d be the only way to give her a true weekend of peace. And he knew that there were no easy feet… But as he walked down the street, back heavy with saddlebags and a rigged up harness around his chest to carry everything he had a good feeling about this. 

---

One can hardly call an adult sphinx tapping on the side of a building ‘knocking’ but Niil did not want to wiggling his way around inside that building with all his kit on. He could hardly fit inside without such things. With it all on he was bound to get stuck somewhere. So he sat by her window, claw tapping it along the side. “Good morning Spoiled, are you aware it's the weekend? I stopped by your home only to be informed by your daughter you were not in! Did you not look at your calendar? I did and I know you have nothing that needs doing for two days. Do not waste them on reviewing papers not due for another week. Now come, open this window so we may speak and I stop looking like a lion gone insane out here.” He found all of this moist amusing. She was dedicated to this job with ferocious zeal, no pony can say otherwise. But he knew why she had to be. She was not well liked by most, even if most did think she got the job done well. It was a hard line to walk in the public space where faltering can get ugly fast. But one can only do this so long. He saw it in her eyes, walk and body. Come what may he was going to remove her from this building and give her two days away from this madness. If her own… Was unwilling to force such a thing for her own well being, than he will take up the task.

image.png

For a few seconds after the knocking Spoiled Rich sat up, blinking.  Pulled from a stewing fit of spite at the umpteenth petition protesting her rezoning project, she had just been wondering what the most satisfying (and therefore most regrettable) way of venting her spleen would be.  "Mmm, wha-?  Oh, it's you."  For Niilaavin, she could manage a smile, despite the work interruption.  Getting up to open the window, she looked up at him, and sighed.  "Oh, just come on a social visit, have you?"  

For a moment, she considered rejecting the sphinx's offer, protesting busyness... but she couldn't muster the heart.  The sad truth of the matter was she had only come in because home brought too little comfort these days, and she had so narrow a circle of friends that she could not depend on short-notice socialization.  Not that she would ever, ever admit that, of course, but Niilaavin's sudden interruption allowed her to depart her labors while saving face.  "Well, after the slanders of mere status seeking that were slung in the election, I could hardly afford to look less than dutiful... but you're right, there's only so much that should be done for the sake of appearances."  She sighed, rubbing her eyes in the certainty that bags were beginning to fill under them.  Goddess, but she did not need the stress of inevitable aging on top of all of this.  "Just what did you have in mind for this little 'weekend away', though?  A regal lion you may be, but I have no interest in baking under the savannah sun!"

With the window he leans in closer, nose poking inside to sniff at her for a moment. After confirming she was in fact, herself, he leaned back and looked in at her with a big smile. “Savannah sun this time of the year? If we have a savannah do let me know, I have yet to see one… Well, grasslands do count in a way does it not? So never mind… But plans for you I do have. We are going on an adventure. And before you scuff and inform me you don’t do such things I have seen plenty of pictures and books of the powerful and wealthy going on such things atop of the backs of grand beasts. And I am offering you that… A ride on my back to a palace far from here for a weekend where you need not worry about this town, its drama and oddness for just two days and one night. I have packed a tent, gear that Blueblood is fit to use so you will find it passable. On my word your hooves will stay clean, fur untouched by grime and no snooping about in dungeons. This is an adventure of sightseeing.” He lowers his head down, pushing his muzzle alongside the wall of the building so all she had to do was step out of the window and onto his head. 

“And if you must know, this was planned. I am not alone in worrying about you. The ones beneath you worry about the matriarch as much as me. We have seen to it you may have this weekend and I shall see to it no one bothers you. By wing and claw I shall see you rested and happy again, you earned as much and if one voice speaks wrong they my fangs they will meet. For even the strongest matriarch needs time to rest and for pride to look after her affairs. So come, just for two days. The town will live on.” He hoped he’d not have to force this, she looked miserable! Did she even sleep the day before? It made his heart ache to see her so spent. Where was her pride? Why did she do this alone? Some pony customs he just did not understand. If her pride was failing her than he’d do his part and give her the rest and help she clearly needed.

Niil's pitch was greeted with a signature raised brow from the mayoral mare, matching eye to eye as the sphinx lowered his head.  "Am I to understand that you believe a show of pomp and circumstance as to the nobility of old is sufficient to win two full days of my valuable time, away from something productive?"  She held her expression for a moment, before broadening into a smile.  "Compliments to your advisors sir, you will not stay single for long with that attitude."  She wasn't sure how that angle exactly slipped from her muzzle, but she shook it off as she mounted to the offered spot atop Niil's head.  She had seen Blueblood on occasion take this perch, and she fancied it suited her.  It certainly appealed to her to look down at the building that loomed so large in her imagination these days.

"Well, I will say, one can definitely see some sights from this angle."  She complimented, settling into her position.  "I'll take your word on the cleanliness of the trip, and if the accoutrements are good enough for royalty, I suppose I don't mind settling for them."  Spoiled knew that Niil liked it if she didn't give him too easy of a time about it, but truly was grateful to get away, having made the decision to go.

• Like 1

A purring chuckle ruled its way free from his muzzle at her remakes. Most found her personality thorny or abrasive. He disagreed and found it witty and charming. And in truth, reminiscent of his mother. Maybe that is why he got along so well with her. Maybe that is why he found her personality charming. She was as close as he could get to another of his kind out here and lifted his spirits every time. “Advisors? This part was all me, the only advisor playing a hoof is your own. She sent a letter and I answered. She even took the time to ink my name in hieroglyphs.” He says with a swift wave of his paw and shift of his head to let her more easily settle down on her perch. Once she was on he backed away from the window and made his way down the road. 

“When we take wing you may want to move down to my back, between my wings. I have a harness latched onto me you can clip into if you feel unsteady on your hooves. Or if we hit some sore weather. But you alone can make that judgment, it is not my place to command a sphinxess.” He added, his trot almost bouncing with excitement to go on this outing. It was not just this was his first time going out with a friend other than Blue. This was more than that. This was his first outing fully unchained. Blue gave the words, Niil was free to fly as far and wide as his heart wanted for this outing. The blasted golden collar was still around his neck and legs but at least he was free to roam. And underneath that all was his enjoyment of what was happening. Something deep and instinctive was nudging him on and praising him. He can’t get his claws on what that feeling was. But he felt alive and full of energy to take wing or battle. 

“And I will admit, maybe this trip is me scouting out… Places. Den and territory. I have none and that is shameful for a sphinx of my age. For some time I lumneted I may never have such… But some land is still unclaimed even in this age. Before the snow comes and the travel becomes unbearable I wish to take wing over the places remote. And in truth, I did so already in passing and found a place pleasing to rest when the moon sings overhead. Even if I feel more awake at such times, long ago I got used to the sleeping patterns of you ponies. Even if the cats roaming in the dark make for good conversations.” As the road opened up to the outskirts of town he opened his large wings and stretched, arching his back but keeping his head level so Spoiled need not worry about slipping off. “Do you want me to stop by your home first? I have room in my bags to pack some more of your youngs if you wish. If not, we shall take wing here and now. Two days go swiftly in good company.”

Spoiled cast a glance back to the offered harness when it was mentioned.  "I don't feel unsteady now, but I think will take advantage of the offer when it comes time to fly, at least this time."  As an Earth Pony, distance from the ground was instinctually uncomfortable, and for all the refinement she sought to bring forward, her origin was no less rural than Applejack's... though considerably less wholesome.  Being named Spoiled Milk as a filly might well have been a bit of a warning sign to the world.

In the meantime, she was close enough to Niil's ear to easily converse, and found herself really wanting to take advantage of it.  "If it's all the same, I'd rather not stop by home.  If your servants don't know what the proper accommodations and accoutrements for a mare like me are, then I shall have to see exactly how ignorant they are before I issue any corrective communication; they will not learn and improve otherwise."  She spoke with firmness, and conviction, but that wasn't the real reason she didn't want to go back to Rich Manor right now.  If that was the only reason, after all, she'd be at home anyway...

"So, what I'm getting from you is that you're taking me out house-hunting."  She'd say, considering his reasoning.  "I suppose you want some advice on what sort of place you can take a sphinxess home to... provided any are found or made.  How are things with that, by the way?  The Prince hasn't been in communication with me on any progress."

• Hearthoof 1

Niil was fine to just skip past her home. He did not dislike the place; it was very nice. But it seemed to be a place of less than joyous worries for his friend. And he’d not waste the trip speaking or thinking of such things. So he kept his walk going as he made his way around wagens and walking ponies. Even this early the town was swinging into life. “Well, I hope it all meets your needs. I oversaw it all myself and picked out the tent you will stay in. If you find it failing, that sits as much on me as my servants.” He says with a mark of pride in his tone. He felt he picked well and will put his lot in the stakes for such. He’d rather take part of the blame then dump it all on his servants. They did him well, only fair he repaid in such. 

“As for taking you out house-hunting with me, well that was hardly the plot at paw but there is something to be learned in taking one such as you along… No better way to judge if a land will be attractive then…” He found his words trailing off, by the moon how can he word this in a way to not sound… “Well, let one fine as you pass some jugement. If it meets your standards then a sphinxes will just be smitten by it.” He felt that was stiff, but he found no better way to vear off the path his words were going. Yet she drove him back onto it just as swifty. “Ah, yes. Slower than they hoped but swifter than I believed. I do not know why they felt they’d smash it out in a year or less. This spell is no changing of the hide, no masking of what one is. A sphinx is more than that and they are learning the truth of that. We are not just a pony and cat mixed together in some magic blender. But they seem convinced it can be done more than ever… And much to my anger the bug is most useful to this end. I hoped to swat it away swiftly but it seems the thing is needed to see this work. So far at least.” He shakes his head gently and slowly, so not to tross the mare off his head. 

“So the lack of communication is born from that. Nothing worth speaking about has passed. At least for us. The sea of paperwork seems to speak otherwise but I do not care much for findings, just the end result.” By now he was outside of the town and stretched his wings out. He was most definitely growing well and swiftly. Yet he still had much more to go but that’d take many decades. Like a dragon his kind took many years to reach full size. But what size it will be. If he grew to be as large as his father… Well, even dragons best watch their tails. “I will take us to the sky soon, if you wish to make use of the harnes now is a wise time to do so. We will be in the air for about three hours, maybe four. I packed some warm clothing as well. You may wish to put them on now before you strap in. It's much colder in the sky than down on land.” He warned, flicking one of his ears to gently brush at the mare sitting so close to them. 

"Hmph!  It's good to see someone who appreciates a mare with standards! The tone which Spoiled spoke had rather more emphasis than she intended.  Indeed, what she considered proper standards for a mare of her ambitions was a bone of contention, and was at the root of why they weren't stopping at home.  She was in a mood of dissatisfaction, and all the instinct's driving Niil's own slips of the tongue must be sitting up and taking notice.  A matriarch was in a place to be swayed, if he would be so bold to venture his suggestions, and brave and overcome her objections.

Not that Mayor Rich knew of what passions she was calling forth to dally with, as she began to slide down the back of his neck towards his harness.  "I suppose it would be a long work.  Not only with the transformation, but a long while before any of the transformed were more than ponies piloting a sphinx's body.  I hope you are a patient cat in that respect."  Having reached the harness, she wrapped a cloak around herself before strapping in.  "I've only been up in the clouds once, but I remember the chill."  Settling in and making herself comfortable, she called out with mock imperiousness, "You may alight when ready."

• Hearthoof 1

“They wish for a lioness yet fear her claws. Such is one of the plagues of this age. I see them trot with heads held tall dressed in the flashing of kings with titles of nothingness and mates taken along as nothing but another flourish. Standards of greed and petty vanity with nothing to back it. With such sins being commonplace, how can I not appreciate the mare that walks with the soul of queens old? You are a mare out of place as much as me. Kindreds. And to have this first taste of freedom with you alongside… Yes, I do appreciate it very much and can not ask for a better lioness in the hide of a pony to spend it alongside. ” He says back, stretching his wings out and warming up his mussels with some test flaps. Some deep part of him did notice the signs and nudged at the back of his mind. But his focus was on planning out his path of flying. Glancing at the sun and then at towering landmarks he plotted it out in his head. A genetic gift most that fly hold well onto. Be it a pegasus, giffin or sphinx navigating long long distances was necessary.

Feeling her settle down between his wings and click onto the straps he glanced back at her for a visual check. “All cats know to be patient. Such are the ways of us all. We hunt with patient cunning and strike when it is best. Only the mindless hound rush head first and demand to eat before claws even reach hide. But I do hope to see it found sooner than later… A pink sphinx will be most striking.” He gave her a soft smirk before pulling his head away and leaning down. “Brace, we fly!” With that he launched himself skyword like a cat leaping after some flying bird. Wings joined in the leap as powerful back muscles flexed and moved underneath the hooves the mare. Each flap of the wings flexing and relaxing them in an up close showing of how powerful the cat was. Seeing a predator move was one thing. Riding on its back and seeing, feeling, the power was another. He soon found good winds and took wing on them. Using his large wingspan to glide on the winds tossing in a few beats of the wing to keep up speed. He was about at the altitude most airships like to fly, giving the mare on his back a wide and spanning view of the land all around them. 

“Is this fine? I can go lower if you feel uneasy at this altitude. On my own I take wing at even greater altitudes. Better winds up there but your eyes will not see the land so well. Not to make fun of you ponies but your eyes are nowhere sharp like mine.” He glanced back at her, smiling more openly now they were truly alone up here before looking back ahead as he spoke more. “And enjoy the peace. Up here one is truly free. No spying foals with papers or scum trying to land some made up story for a crude magazine. Dreadful things, but fun to play with. Last one that jumped the fence I took far, far away. Dropped him off next to some landed longships along the northern coast.” The big cat chuckled, and it was a very amusing outing with Blue that one. Most did not know it but the prince can be a very vindictive fellow if you rub his fur the wrong way one to many times. 

• Like 1

Soul of the Queens of old?  Spoiled very much liked the sound of that, and had the freedom of movement allowed to a mare held down on the back of a flying cat permitted, would have given a suitably imperious gesture of acknowledgement and gratitude.  "I will say I have always felt that I was meant for more than... wherever I was.  Whether it is moving to a better place, or making the place I am better, I am never satisfied with my status quo."  She sighed, her admission coming as a revelation to herself as much as to Niilaavin.  "And to those who are at peace with their lot... it must be a very irritating thing to be so disturbed.  And while I appreciate the presence of a fellow striver, to make all my neighbors as dissatisfied as myself seems... impolitic."  As a mare in her middle age, Spoiled Rich knew fairly well that she was in all likelihood never going to have the time to move to a new place and become as influential and important there as she was in Ponyville, hence her focus on increasing the prestige of her town in general and her family specifically.  But given that her progeny no longer shared her push to be somewhere better than she was, her whole energy was now devoted to local politics.  And there was only so much a mayor could do...

She tried to chase away these thoughts with an appreciation of the view, which was incredible.  The visual trick of perspective, by which large things at ground level seemed so small by air, suited her ultimate view of them.  Ponyville was the world to its inhabitants, but one saw so much more from up here.  As one with a higher view, this might explain her friction with her fellow Earth Ponies.  In her mind also, she found herself storing away a little more patience for pegasi.  If they had this view regularly, it would be natural for them to seem 'flighty' to the ground-bound.

"It is beautiful..."  She said, and truly, though it was not endlessly fascinating, at least not compared to the sphinx she was riding.  Airships one got used to fairly quickly, as the less its power and mechanisms intruded on your flight experience, the better it was engineered.  But Niil's muscle power was on full display, and gradually the awareness of the bodily power, the masculine energy keeping them aloft took up more and more of Spoiled's attention.  And that wasn't including the sphinx's conversation, which more and more she found she enjoyed.  "Ah, the freedom from petty cares... and less petty ones.  Journalism is a plague; I'm quite sympathetic to his Highness' views on the matter.  You do make me wish I had a sphinx of my own around the place..."  Taking one more look at the ground, judging the worth of its view, she made a decision, perhaps a more reckless one than she'd taken in years.  "Actually... I'd rather see what you are capable of than a mere view of the land.  Show me the power of a Sphinx's wings!"

• Hearthoof 1

“That is why we are alike, you and I. And maybe it's time you look past your own territory? Stretch leg and wing in new places. Maybe this trip will do you more good than you knew. The territory we call home is overcrowded and to cut out our own slice is almost impossible. I see hardships and long winters in a land my kind never once knew. But I see opportunity as well in such land.” He leaned to the side gently as he spoke, letting her have an unbroken view of the Great Nimbusgait Lakes and the passing city in the sky of Cloudsdale. “Maybe that is my blood speaking. We are driven to go forth and explore to seek out new land, that was a young males duty. We pushed the borders and used youth and cunning to cut out new lives in lands unknown. Well I am rather late to get back to such a duty I still feel a need to do such. Good as a life I may have with Blue I chafe underneath the status quo.” He hummend, looking off at the lakes as they came closer and closer. The path he followed will see them pass over the leftmost lake and pass over Vanhoover, hopefully before midday if he kept good pace. 

“Why wish for one? You have me already, if you ever need my claws and fangs just ask. I have found plenty of time to master the art of disposing of unwanted rats around the grounds. And what better use of time than removing pests for a friend such as you?” All of it was in good jest. Mostly. If she did ask to have him around more to run off the rats known as ‘Journalists’ he’d be happy to flex his stuff around her. And thinking such, her words walked perfectly into such thinking and instincts. Territory was good, but it was only as good as the pride king that claimed it as well. And her words lit a fire inside of him. If she wanted to see how strong this king-to-be was, she’d get the show she wanted. “You wish to test my strength? So be it! I will show you the strength in my wings! May it bring prrum too muzzle and join as laudi to life-song.” He boasted, instincts winning out in speech as words older than the Sisters mixed with new. But now he needed to act on that boast. Looking down he scanned the land for something useful. Logs, fallen trees or whatever else may work for this task. It just needed to be heavy and easy to hold onto. 

With flicking worry he spotted nothing of use. The land was rather barren out here, the forest on the other side of the lake. But as he closed in on the lake he spotted what he needed. Aiming down he pulled his wings close to his body in a half open arc. The dive picked up speed, speed he’d need to help in the task. He just hoped his prospecting… friend, will not be upset by the dive. He reached out with all four legs, claws popped as his target lined up with the strike. A boat. It was of modest size. Maybe a smallish fishing ship or some personal vessel used by a moderately wealthy pony. Regardless, it was a little smaller than Niil and was at the moment void of ponies. Hopefully. If someone were inside of somewhere that was a problem for another time. He didn't land on the ship but the contact was made as four clawed paws clamped around it as his wings shot open and arched back up, wings beating with thundering gusts of wind that sprayed water like a storm front underneath his bulk. And as some ponies ran about on the docks below the boat lifted skywards and out of the water. 

Up and up he pushed himself, the boat was heavier then he honestly planned. But he refused to submit and release it. He was being tested and he’d show her just what he was made of. The momentum of his dive did help sling him back up a ways but the mass of the ship cut it short. So soon it was all his own wings pushing them upwards past the clouds. If she was speaking he didn't hear it. All of his focus sucked into a small tunnel pushing him onwards. Up. Up. Past where airships fly, pegasi and soon Griffins. The world below seemed tiny. From up here even Vanhoover can be seen and each breath came forth with a frosty mist like a cold winter day. And here he reached the apex of his act as he held his wings open and glided, heart pounding as his legs protested and his back muscles attached to wing told him in no uncertain terms he will be feeling this stunt the coming days. He gasped, pulling in deep breaths of thin air. “Do I pass?” He huffed out between heavy breaths. “Are you pleased by the strength of my wings? A mated flight they can achieve.” He purred with pride, then wondered what he was going to do with the boat. If it was some tree he could just drop it. But this… He’d have to hold onto it and put it back down into the lake… He did not think this out at all. 

• Hearthoof 1

So, young Sphinxes fancied themselves frontiersmen?  That was something that Spoiled Rich could understand as an earth pony; they were the tribe that stood on the vanguard of Equestrian expansion these days, going out into the desert and drylands to make the land arable and fit for habitation.  Not a lifestyle that made for a materially comfortable existence, but there was something to be said for getting in on the ground floor of a place.  Indeed, that may well be the method by which the Apple Clan had become so influential in so many corners of the fruit market...

She shook her head.  Incipient envy would do nothing to help her relax.  "Well, it is good to speak with one who empathizes.  I would hate to monopolize your attentions, but I don't suppose you'll have to make more than one or two examples of nosey nooks."  The thought was a happy one, but not near so thrilling as the ride she was about to be taken on!

Calling out with a much louder, "Whoop!"  than she'd thought would happen, Spoiled tightened her grip around the harness as she was taken down on a dive, eyes streaming as she strained to see her sphinx friend show his stuff.  And what stuff it was!  Having been out on lake parties before, Spoiled had a somewhat better estimation of the mass involved in boats, and to see Niilaavin lift one clear from the water, and soar so high... it impressed her, genuinely impressed her.  Her heart pounded, and she drew in heavy breaths of thinner air.  Whether it was the sudden movement or just the altitude, she was feeling lightheaded, a bit like she had just taken a three-martini lunch-

“Are you pleased by the strength of my wings? A mated flight they can achieve.”

She didn't know what the term 'mated flight' meant exactly, but she could guess.  And oh did that guess push her mind to dangerous places.  Given the security of her straps, probably a more dangerous place than even her body was right now.  A strong young male was showing off to impress her, and that had an effect on a mare, stoking thoughts and desires she hadn't thought to feel quite in that way after so long in her current marriage... especially given the current state of her and Filthy's relationship.

In this time and place, she was in a vulnerable place, finally starting to consider possibilities she'd shut off from her mind.  Not that she expected to be in any way to act upon them, but... but a mare could fantasize, and she was going to let herself do so now.  "Why... yes, yes I'd say so."  The mayor replied, visibly blushing as he body tried to warm itself against the chill air.  "But perhaps you'd better return that poor pony's property?  I don't think the Prince would appreciate having to compensate its owner."

• Hearthoof 1

A long purrrr found its way to Niil’s muzzle. Deep and strong Spoiled can feel it vibrate her down to the core riding on top of his back. Too know he did well… It was pleasing. Even if she was _just_ a pony he knew she was a good soul to test himself on. If he can earn her praise then he truly was doing something well. It's why he enjoyed being around this mare so much. No fake praise, no flattering just to make others feel good. If she spoke praise she meant every word and that fact made his strength come back to his wings. It was just a shame a pony can not purr… Well, not without some training. Some of his servants ring forth a proper prrum and oh, how his heart wanted to hear such from her! But her parse in words made do. “I am glad to have passed such a test, for you to be pleased. I know my strength truly is worthy of carrying you.” He says, turning his head around to look at her from the corner of his eye. 

A blush? That was good was it not? In his long years around ponies he did learn to understand some of their more odd behaveres. Blushing one such oddness, much like nodding one's head or shaking it to express feelings. And blushing was… Bashful? No… Yes? Bashful and alerted? Yes, something like that. She was integrated and alert now too… Him. And that made something swell inside of his chest… A warning and a craving. He was creeping closer to danger and the rewards found within. But took them in paw and pushed it back down. Caution was a virtue. Pulling his eyes off her he looked down at the boat held in his paws. He did have to bring this back down… So, best get on that. Telting his wings began a slow descent downwards as they drifted around the lake. The view was far and wide up here, so far removed from the land below as to feel like another realm altogether. 

He let his eyes wander around the lake, picking out other boats… some ponies flying. Even a few airships passing below. It was relaxing. Up here he remembered why his kind were called Sky-Kings by the races of land. A title contested with dragons and a root of conflict that lasted ages… At least the sky lizards did not end up on top. He’s only ever seen that pet… What’s her name? Tie? The new Not-A-Queen. That did bring him some joy… Even if he was told there are plenty of dragons alive he was glad to not see them… But such history is only known to him. Lost in sand and time much like his own kind. But why must that be so? Blue liked hearing about history. Maybe she does too? He never had much time to chat with her about such things. Now he did. “Spoiled, my Rasha, we have much time left in the sky. When was the last time we had so much freedom to speak and so openly? Let us forget the world below and speak nothing of what it holds. Up here let us speak of each other where none but us may hear. I am a book open to you and I hunger to speak the history of my blood lost to sands long blown over. Tell me, what intrigues you?”

• Hearthoof 1

"My strength truly is worthy of carrying you..."

Did males know how powerful their words could be?  Spoiled had to wonder, given how few times she could count on a deliberate compliment from a stallion landing well, compared to how their offhand remarks (or lack thereof) affected her.  Maybe they were creatures of instinct more that thought.  Maybe everypony was, and there was nothing really wrong in letting herself be carried off by them just as much as the Sphinx was carrying her.  And Niil had such a pleasant voice too, she felt she could listen to him talk on just about anything.

"Hm?  Well, in general, I would much prefer to discuss the origins of your blood than mine.  My background is a humble one, and I've little desire to relive my younger years.  In specific... that word you used, Rasha?  I don't recall you ever explaining what it means."  She thought she knew, though; could guess its definition and meaning.  And while their talks were still private...

Wait, wait, what was she thinking?  Was it the altitude of thin air?  Her better self, the one concerned with fidelity, propriety, and actually maintaining her political career thrashed against her impulsive, adventurous soul-half, maintaining her suppressive lid once more... but there were cracks in the pottery now.  Cracks that Niil could exploit... or accidentally smash with an offhand comment.

• Like 1

“Do be careful with such wishes, get a sphinx talking about ourselves and it's hard to make it stop.” He says back, flashing her a toothy smile before looking down as he plans out a landing spot with the boat. He was in no rush himself, but his legs… Well, they did not want to hold this boat much longer than needed. His wings were no less unhappy about it. But he can’t dive, the boat will be destroyed so down he drifted in lazy spirals. The first topic she wanted to have him talk about was… Well, he hoped she’d glance past some of his words. He put his paws before his brain with that one didn't he? It left him hanging in for a moment, thinking over what to say and giving the mare more time to think up her own meanings… He did trust his use in it. That was not the problem. No, the problem was converting sphinx concepts into pony words. Even with so many years as first a slave, now… A free slave, he found it hard. He knew plenty of pony words old and new. But passing the concepts and meanings of his kin and expressing them in the concepts and meanings of another was not easy. It was not just flipping on a translator in his head and saying something word for word. That didn't work and lost the meaning.

He didn't look back at her as he spoke, forced on flying with a boat in claw and peaceing together how to say this in a way she can grasp. “Not an easy task you ask of me, but I will try. Rasha is… Somepony you trust deeply. Bounded with not in blood or pride. An outsider yet within your den. One you wish to fly alongside even at risk to one's self…” He stalled, trying to work out how to say the next part… “Griff-Sii, Rasha purrrma!” He fussed, the last word more a purr that vibrated one's body than speech. “Are meanings are not easily spoken in the words of pony kin, new or old. But know this moment will bring me to a purr for years to come. You are dear to me and give me peace in an age I feel so lost in. The past lost to time, my eyes happened just a year ago… The passing of time is crushing and you make me forget it for a moment. I can close my eyes and pretend I found one of my own again. A sphinxes charming and witty, ready to paw some young male on the nose but happy to take him into the den when he behaves. Blue is good company, my servants speak well. But none of them fill that hole in my chest like you have. That is why you are my Rasha.” He felt like didn't explain it very well but he did his best. Looking down he let out a relaxed cuff to see they were halfway down. Soon he can drop this boat and get back on his way to the camp.

• Hearthoof 1

Oh, that smile... even the sharpness of the great sphinx's teeth only added a dangerous edge that sharpened his attractiveness.  "There is a very short list of living beings who I would even allow to talk my ears off, and of that list you may well be the only one to whose every word I would listen."  With such flattering compliments as Niilaavin was giving her, Spoiled only felt it right to return some of her own.  This sort of exchange... how long had it been since she had felt something like this?  She could only think back to when she and Filthy were courting, and even then her mood had been tinged with a cynical, materially-minded grift.  And maybe that's where it had all gone wrong, at the beginning...

Hearing Niilaavin explain the word Rasha... the word's definition a somewhat different picture than the metaphors he used.  And that little phrase in his native tongue... what was it about that which sent shivers up her spine?  She had always been a cat person, she supposed... "I would say, that almost sounds like the word 'friend' in Equestrian, but that might perhaps be too weak a term.  One does not share a den with mere friends unless certain benefits are involved, and it sounds as if a Rasha would offer those."  This was getting close to dangerous territory now, and so close to the lake too, but Spoiled was... not exactly caring anymore.  She couldn't explain it, it was as if her emotions had completely obscured her plans for the future.  For perhaps the first time in her life, she was living in the present moment, and not the prelude to the future.

• Hearthoof 1

A purring chuckle left his muzzle and he looked back at her as he flashed his smile of teeth. It seemed to be the only way the big cat could honestly smile. “You ponies love that word, do you not? Everything, everyone can and will be used with it. What even is a friend when you must give pretext? To call Rasha just a friend is like calling… oh, what do you ponies use… Ah. Your ‘best friend’ as an acquaintance you know. Are words holding meaning and speak alone with no help from others. If one is Rasha, they are such. No words go before or after to upgrade or detail what it means. The closest we have is how… Rasha and RaSha, close to pony ears but oh so different. The emphasis on the later part… If you were my RaSha. Well.” He chuckled, it was a deep rolling sound from deep within his chest. “Maybe it's better if I word Rasha like this. A close ‘friend’ you enjoy being around yet being around them can be risky. Where one must watch words and acts or risk over steeping and attacking the wrath of another. You are not in my pride, I am not your tyr. Yet here you are, testing my strength and taking to the sky with me as we joke and speak freely.” He hoped he was not pushing this game too far, but it was innocent enough. 

Yet his mind told him danger. He was flying closer to the sun as it were. Basking in the warmth yet risking a long fall down. “If you will let me, maybe I can offer up something more easy. Tyr. The true name for ‘pirde-king’, a term you ponies invented but we used with your kind. But the meaning is not the same to a king. More close to what you ponies view the title of emperor. As the tyr was… using pony terms as best I can. ‘The king of the queens, lord of the princes, father of the pride and master of the serfs in all he so marked as his.’ All of that is spoken in the word tyr. Sounds so messy spoken that way… But it helps show what I mean. It is not an easy task to speak my words in the words of a pony, now or in the past. Why we were marked as riddle speakers, when we speak to a pony we often have to get verbose to come close to what we really mean.” He hoped that helped push things back onto a more safe path. For now… He wanted to nuge more and see how intrigued she truly was. How can he not? His own soul told him to do it. This was their way! She was sitting at the border of one's pride, looking out and testing the young upstart encroaching… Well, no she was not. Ponies don’t think like that. Yet he found himself having a hard time remembering that. He huffed and looked down, closer… Soon he can drop this boat… Shame it was not close to the docks but so be it. He wanted to stay away from the ponies gathering up on them to watch him. The master of the boat and just swim out for it.

"Rasha... RaSha..."  Spoiled echoed his words softly, attempting to replicate the distinction.  Care in one's speech was a mark of refinement, and she would like to be able to converse at least partially in Niilaavin's native tongue.  At least, for such things as pony speech had no specific terms for.  It also helped distract her from the implications of what those words actually were.  She was a socially aware mare, sharply aware, and knew that closeness that breached family lines like that, without involving the whole family, were trouble.  It would be one thing if both Filthy and Diamond Tiara were as good a friend to the sphinx as spoiled; that would just make him an honorary 'uncle'.  But this?  This was verging on outright courtship, of a married mare!

"Tyr... yes that one is easier."  She admitted, noting the presence of those on the docks.  Were they far enough away from Ponyville that none would recognize her?  It depended; enthusiasts for the hobby would travel far to fish.  "So is that where the whole riddle thing came from?  More verbosity misinterpreted, rather than a love of games as such?"  Closer to the public, she wanted to steer the conversation away from danger, for now.  Riddles were a safe bet, even if for anypony else she'd find them slightly tiresome.

• 1 month later...

“The game of riddles came from it in part, yes. More than once I found myself having to go back and re-word what I am saying to some ponies as I tend to speak more words than needed, often leaving some poor pony trying to unpack meaning in something that can be spoken more swiftly. But we are at fault too… When young, riddle games are often played with mother. For learning, teaching or just enjoyment.” He spoke as they came closer to the large lake, beating his wings more as he parched somewhat close to the docks. At least by his standards. For a small pony ‘close’ may be something of a reach here. But he did not feel like dealing with sounds he was hearing from that dock. Shouting, fussing. Something about ‘hearing from my lawyer’ the rich so loved to bark. That was the worst part of this age he felt. No one worked things out in a duel! You just had some upset soul yell about it, then buy some other rich pony out to yell about it more in some courtroom. 

His claws slipped back inside of sheaths as the boat slipped from his grasp and fell into the water with a rather satisfying wet smack of a sound. Looking down he saw the ship was floating, if somewhat a mess from the flying, falling and landing. Oh well. Changed his course and beat wings to take himself and his friend away from the shouts and back up and into the peace of lonely skies. “Hrm, how about some more words? Two of them, easy words, but hold much use in are tongue. Sii and Saa. Sii are my front claws, Saa my rear claws. But the words hold much use outside of that… ‘flashed Sii’ is a treat, ‘flashed Saa’ means someone ran away. To say ‘She is my Sii’ means she’s as trusted as your own front claws. All your claws together is a Sissa, and the largest single number in the counting system. You ponies call it… Sixteen… Oh, now I want too go on some tangent about how we count but I will save you from that one my rasha.” He chuckled and glanced over his shoulders at her. Oh how regal she looked! Even with the wind and sky blowing she sat so defiant and strong. You’d think she’d been born onto his back with how well held herself upon it. “You ride me well, as crass as that sounds. Blue took much longer to settle down and gain his legs for this. Maybe you have a talent for being in the sky.”

Ponies, too, had their contests of words, but Spoiled was in no mood to play at present.  It was for this reason that she hunkered down a bit behind Niilaavin's mane, to avoid any potential recognition and targeting of legal letters.  Let them be sent to the Prince instead, he had means of making problems like that just... go away.  A royal privilege of which the Mayor was rather envious, to tell the truth.  She would just let the fool blow himself over, and then if he still wanted to throw tongues with a giant riddle kitty, well, his funeral then.

Besides the lack of wanting to bother, though, Spoiled was not a mare that 'flashed Saa', a phrase which would certainly find itself embedded in her personal vocabulary.  "I suppose in equine metaphor, that would be 'flashing frogs', which has the advantage of alliteration as far as phraseology goes.  Also some wordplay potential for riddles."  She offered helpfully.  "And I will say, this so far has most definitely been a flashing of Sii for me, thank you."  It was true, being out in the open air was good for a pony, and being free of the reaches and concerns of reporter, lawyer, and constituency was divine.  Her elevated mood might well have accounted for how well she took the unintentional innuendo.  Or, at least, did not take offense; something else entirely had to be the reason behind her rejoining, "Ah, you'd much prefer to be riding me in that sense?"  As soon as that phrase left her mouth, she realized that might have been going a little far.  "Sorry, don't know what came over me there.  Comes from having to watch my mouth so much lately, I'll go off like that once the pressure is off the lid.  I don't suppose you'd like to hear what I have to say about your... Prince.  You seem to hold him... them in high regard, and I'd hate to spoil your mood.  All I'll say to that is, unicorns have unsure hooves."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He almost had to do a double take at her joke. He honestly never heard her trot close to such jokes, let alone leap head first into one like that! Yet it was far from offended by it as a purring chuckling sound rumbled its way free from his muzzle. “Now now, no need to rush off and cover one's tracks speaking of Blue. We both know you’d make for a very unsuitable mount, funny as it may be to think of me trying to sit on your back.” He pulled his lips up into a grin as he looked back at her. “And watch not that muzzle when we fly together. No soul but sky and I can hear what it says my rasha. And I do so enjoy hearing what you do have to say. But I’d prefer to not crush you… I’d prefer to take claws in claws, sing my song and rise and fall, claws too back.” He hummed out the last part, then looked back ahead with a strong beat of his wings.

“But now I must speak of Blue, for my soul demands it. I do hold them well, I respect them and care for them. I know some see a fool, I see wit and cunning. They play their own game and its board rests above the eyes of most. You see not what he plays at, just his antics… And most of all, he knows me. More than you, more than all others. He knows my truths, I know his.” He leaned his head to the side, looking down as the grand lake passed them and land began again. “You know some of the truth. You must. It claws at your mind, you are prey after all. I can not live on the meals you so enjoy. The prince has done well to feed me, at steep cost no less. Meat is not cheap in this land. Most of all for one of my size. He has done much, or she, there mod willing. I have yet to wrap my head around how to speak of them.”

To hear that she could speak without offense was... relieving.  Especially since Spoiled was feeling lately that there were folks in Ponyville who just couldn't wait to take offense at anything she might say.  "Thank you, though I shall try not to tax your ears too much with such things, appealing as the fantasies you describe are."  That alone was dangerous to admit, but she wasn't a sphinx, so it wasn't as if it actually meant anything, right?  She could never, would never be taken on so passionate a flight... why did that thought fill her with such longing and sorrow?

Danger again, danger again!  Niilaavin was just too damn charming for Spoiled's own good, and the mare suspected that was partly deliberate.  Hadn't that been what was implied by all that talk of a rasha, and what it meant?  It was just so hard for her to care all that much, soaring through the sky that birth had denied her.

Seeking to get her mind onto safer subjects, even as she burrowed slightly deeper into the sphinx's warm scruff, she thought of Blueblood.  "I just think of him as male unless.. Bluebelle is actually in front of me.  I wouldn't have thought myself that transformation would be so kind to a pony's looks."  She sighed, feeling it somehow, slightly unfair, though she couldn't describe why.  "Well, however we speak of him, her, or them, he's certainly gone out of his way for you, and I'll grant that he probably does things I'd be impressed by if I knew them.  It's just... two wives, really.  Two loving mates, when I- when some other ponies have none, it just rankles, you know?"

Ah, jealousy.  The source of antipathy was finally revealed, unintentionally.  A good thing secrets were safe, up here...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Niilaavin was silent for a time. The cool air and beating of his wings only drew the moment out longer, even if it was much shorter than it felt. But after a dozen wing beats he spoke again. “I have found some things very odd in this age… The lack of herds among your kind one of them. The male to female ratio does not lean into such things. It is the same for us. One male had a dozen mates at times. But we earned them and held onto them close. A female is not tied to her mate, she can leave if another comes along and treats her better. It was a battle we all waged and forced us males to look well for them all. Each one was valued and cared for with as much effort as the male can offer. The more mates he had, the more split it got making it easy for a fresh young male to slip in and draw away one of the older females. She was key to him, for they knew much and were a guiding paw. Mom told me such, if I was to make it and claim my own land I must win the heart of a wise female and hold her close… But such things do not matter now do they? I fly alone. But at least I have you my rasha, and even if you dislike him, I have Blue as well. But if I was to have another of my kind I’d give all I had to her. For I do fear being alone. Some do not have mates, like you say… And I fear it. But I do not look down on others with jealousy.” 

He leaned his head to the side so one giant eye can look at the pony on his back, his line like lips pulled up in a smile. “You are worth something, truly. Do not forget it my rasha. No, let not petty jealousy change that heart into stone. When one has all the gold they want it no longer matters. It grows dull. But to another even one coin is worth all they have to hold close. Do not forget that and stand tall, full of pride and know you alone hold your fate in paw. Speak to your mate, voice the feelings you hold. It is his duty to show his love, not for you to beg for it and look at others in longing. Now do smile, come now. This is a trip for fun and to shake off the chains of the land below. Forget it all, work, home and mate. Stand tall, close your eyes and fly with me and know freedom.”

If Niilaavin's words were meant to quell the jealous pangs in Spoiled's heart, he didn't take quite the right tack.  To plant in her mind the vision of herself as a great and regal matriarch, whose grace, guidance and affection were actively courted by young males seeking to make a great and powerful kingdom...  She had felt something like that, once, long ago.  When she and Filthy were courting... fulfilling her desire to be desired.  The fact that Filthy never even seemed to acknowledge there could ever be a rival to his affection for her, that none would ever again ply their charms to her affection.  And while she had felt for some time that her husband had been taking her for granted, it was only lately that she felt he rated her worth as not worth his own efforts.

*And is it even worth my time to tell him to love me as he should?*  As long as he was the only one she could hope for, obviously, but dark and forbidden hopes, she was realizing, had long since been stirring in her.  Perhaps nothing would come of them... but going as far as she could, right now, would at least put with wind up Filthy and remind him that he could lose her if he didn't care to keep her!  "Aha, very well!  Let us cast aside our cares, as this vacation was meant to.  Take me away, Niilaavin, show me freedom!"

• Like 1