The Great Ball of the Full Moon (AnwirAria, OPEN)

Blueblood

After doing a few rounds of greeting, smiling, bowing, and hoof-shaking, Blueblood came back around just as the second dance was winding down.  He saw Luna draw aside the Duke to give him a bit of a talking-to, which would probably serve to rebuke the noble more than a bit of wine spillage...

"I am sorry for calling you for what you became and what you are." His words were said with so much menace, Anwir almost took a step back. But she held her ground. 

...Or not.  It was quite clear that that this particular scion of the nobility was bound and determined to stick to his nastiness.  "Not have as sorry as I am for you, old boy."  Blueblood remarked, with a sigh.  "I can't say I knew your ancestors, but I knew your mother, and she certainly tried to teach you better manners than that.  That apology was more hurtful than an insult!"  He hesitated but a moment before taking his next move, but he could sense that the Duke's attitude could still prove infectious unless it was made a public example of.  Still, actually calling for a duel here and now would make a spectacle that risked spoiling the party.  Plus, it might not be in the spirit of how Auntie wanted to handle things, second chances and all.  Best to give him one last chance to realize the stakes, and back down.  "In fact...."  Blueblood said, raising his voice and pitching it to carry, "I've half a mind to demand satisfaction for your insulting attitude, not only on behalf of a lady's honor, but on my own as host, and on the Princess for the sake of her guard!"  He brought out the traditional glove, flapping it against his sleeve to signal he was serious.

• Hearthoof 1

Anwir's eyes widened when Blueblood showed the glove. She knew what it meant, she had to break up a few duels when she was on shift during parties, galas, and balls. She knew Blueblood is just giving the Stallion a simple warning. 

Anwir felt like a small filly in a moment, when she remembered.... She suddenly came up blank, she knows something happened and what was happening reminded her of it, but what was it? She shook away that thought. 

The Duke looked to Blueblood with a scoff. He didn't say anything. He just rolled his eyes. He muttered something similar to how he did technically give an apology. 

Well, there was only one thing Blueblood could do in response to that.  With a resolute THWAP the duke would feel the glove slap the side of his face.  With a bit more force and sting than might be expected, as he'd kept it wrapped around a glass of ice water to make it cold and wet from condensation.  "You may demonstrate your technical skill in your choice of sword or spell, cur!"  The challenged traditionally had their choice of how they would answer that challenge.  To back down from this challenge would be a public disgrace to him and his house, and no present authority seemed inclined to break it up.

• Like 1

Anwir jumped at the sound the glove made. She looked to Blueblood, she was greatful for him to stand up for her. Though, she didn't know how well this would turn out. She turned to the Duke. 

He seemed shocked at the hit. He looked to Blueblood with disgust. 

"I don't see the point of doing this! I already apologized! It may not be the one you wish to hear but it was the one I gave!" He started to raise his voice, he wasn't looking at Blueblood when he said this, he looked at Anwir. 

Anwir looked at him. Why does he think that she was the one who challenged him? 

When getting no response from her, he growled and then stood up straight. 

At this point everypony was watching. 

"Thy choice is spell!" He says. 

"You may have given what passes for an apology, but it seems that I shall have to make you truly sorry."  Blueblood retorted, before sweeping a gesture at the crowd.  "Clear the dance floor!"  The order was obeyed with unusual alacrity; one wouldn't have thought a group at a fancy ball would be so ready to accommodate a duel.  But, the bat-winged thestrals maintained many a martial tradition, and the old noble families understood the stakes of honor.

"Magic terms are accepted."  Blueblood said, taking up a stance with his back to the refreshment table.  "Have you any seconds to appoint?"

• Like 1

The Duke says nothing and just goes to the floor. He readies himself. He simply looks at Anwir with disdain. Never once looking towards Blueblood. 

Anwir stays close to Luna as she watches on. She feels like she's being stalked by a predator. She knows the Duke is planning on something. 

The Duke's eyes flash a different color, but it was too quick for Anwir to catch. She believed it was a trick of the light. 

She knew when Celestia comes to join them and raise the sun, somepony will have a major injury. 

Something felt....off to Luna. The Duke's behavior was odd for anypony, let alone nobility. Most ponies admired the princesses. His defiant apology doubled down on the feelings of spite toward Anwir, and even on herself to an extent by disrespecting her wishes. What transpired next however put the alicorn on edge. When Blueblood challenged him to a duel. "Equestria has not changed much in 1000 year," she'd say under her breath. By the time Luna was about to say something, both Blue and the Duke had taken up stance.

With the Duke looking at Anwir instead of his opponent, she would quickly act, placing a bubble around herself and the guest of honor. Now she knew there was something off with the stallion. Looking to her nephew, she'd nod. She took comfort in the fact that Blue would have sparred with Celestia countless times, and knew plenty of spells on his own.

• Hearthoof 1

Anwir was inclined to agree with Luna, she may not have been around all thousand if those years, but she understood. 

Anwir vaguely noticed the bubble but didn't bring it to attention. She knew the so called Duke hadn't noticed yet. 

Anwir stayed close to the princess. Many of the ponies would believe that the general is doing it to protect the princess. Anwir was just staying close to make sure Luna didn't strain herself with a bigger bubble. She wouldn't insult the princess like that. She knows well enough that both of the sisters can protect themselves. 

"I do not have a good feeling about this..." Anwir says quietly to where only Luna can hear her. 

The Duke's horn lit up, ready for the duel. 

Luna's confidence was not misplaced; Blueblood had been trained personally by Celestia in the art of magic-dueling, though more so because Auntie wanted to make sure he neither got seriously hurt nor unduly injured any bystanders.  Or opponents, for that matter; it didn't do for a Prince to publicly maim a Duke at a Grand Ball.  Duels were usually only fought until three 'hits' were scored, or else the audience agreed one had demonstrated superior mastery of spellcraft... or showponyship.  It was one of the lesser-known quirks of unicorn culture that spectacle was as important as substance when it came to magic; that was why they had developed stage magicians as well as wizards.

As his main intention was to make an example of the Duke, Blueblood decided that he was going for a Showstallion's victory.  With the Duke looking away for a brief moment, that gave the Prince all the opportunity he needed for an opening move.  "Avast!"  Striking a pose like an Admiral calling for a cannon barrage, his magic swept two champagne bottles from the table, encasing them in golden magic in the shape of ship's gun emplacements.  "Broadsides!"  Calling out the spell attack name, the bottles both popped, sending streams of superchilled bubbly wine directly at the Duke!

• Like 1

The Duke in turn unluckily moved out of the way. 

"Advance!" The Duke said as a coat rack goes flying above him the green magic around it makes it look like a pickaxe. 

"Strike the drift!" He yelled as the coat rack goes in a straight direction towards Blueblood and coincidentally Anwir and Luna. 

It strikes the ground next to Blueblood causing magical rocks to fly up into the air. 

Anwir doesn't flinch, but does take note that the Duke may be aiming for her. 

There seemed to be an affinity for earth in the Duke's attacks, corresponding to Blueblood's propensity for water and nautical metaphors.  The stallion took advantage of his trained physicality to leap over the stones, laughing hoarsely like a stage-show pirate.  "Yar-har-har-har!  What have we here?  It seems we've a landlubber in need of lesson in humility!"  The incidental aim towards Anwir wasn't unnoticed by the Prince, who used it to inform his next attack.  "Give him a taste of grapeshot!"  Unable to resist the pun, his 'grapeshot' was a shot of literal grapes from the fruit trays, landing in a skull and crossbone pattern on the lawn before exploding into more juice than could conceivably be held by all the little fruit.  The Duke could dodge, but only in a way that would put Anwir out of his angle of attack.

• Like 1

The stallion growled. 

"The Beams are crashing down!" He yelled. 

"Cage!" He suddenly had a bright green cage around him, keeping the juice from hitting him. 

"The powder monkeys are making Ash!"

Suddenly the coat rack is split in two and look like sticks of dynamite. They go in two different directions one on the left of Blueblood and then one on the right of him and near Anwir. They both go off destroying the coat rack into small molten pieces splashing towards Blueblood and some towards Anwir. 

Anwir knew she would be safe the bubble Luna made would stop the molten fragments. 

The longer Luna watched the duel, it would become clear to her. The green magic did not seem to match the Duke at all. Luna's eyes narrowed as she glared at him. "Enough!" Luna would exclaim. All her attention was on the so called Duke. She would levitate him, tail first. "You had us fooled for only a moment." His growl sounded more like a hiss...as least to Luna. Looking to Blueblood, she would motion for him to stand by the General.

"Thorax will be hearing of this," she said to whom she assumed was the disguised Duke. "Thou have entered my home, insulted my guests, and now threaten the well being of all in attendance?" She'd walk closer to him, as he was contained within her magic aura, she'd speak so only those near her could hear. "Thy queen is stone, thy kind is reformed and now an ally of Equestria. Dose thou feel that you are completing a failed mission to try to bring by thee glory?

• Like 1

Blueblood would have given the Duke a few criticisms on his stage-skill if asked.  For one, he didn't seem to inhabit a theatrical role at all, just shouting catchphrases that were vaguely relevant to what Blueblood was doing.  And the dynamite was just... too soon, you had to save explosions like that for the climax, which would take another two volleys at least!

Sweeping the contents of a nearby punchbowl out with his magic to extinguish the flaming missiles sent his way, the next thing the Prince knew, Luna had brought a premature end to the match, with a sudden announcement.  "What?  Changeling?"  Blueblood asked, startled, as he skittered off to Anwir's side.  It would explain his lack of unicorn grace, for sure, and come to think of it, the Duke's normal magic color wasn't green, was it?

• Like 1

Anwir tensed at the word. Of course how could she be so blind! 

It was like the time she was captured, a changeling drone had closed itself as her second in command. It had been able to lead her away and chrysalised her. 

Anwir's eyes darkened. She should have made sure to have guards keep an eye out for rouge changelings and possibly the queen herself. 

There was a green glow around him and then it was back to its normal dark self. It cackled ruefully. 

"Oh dear princess! It took me ages to finally make sure I got into one of these grand balls! And with the mighty General Aria here as well! I knew it was time for me to start shedding to light some truths!" It's voice was grainy and high pitched. It was filled with glee at being found out. Its plan is going accordingly! It still hated that it had to use dynamite so soon. 

Anwir gave a small Huff, one that the other night guards know. One to tell them to be ready to charge. 

They all were standing up tall and were waiting for Anwir's command. 

"Forgive me Princess Luna, had I known I would have-" She was cut off as a few more ponies started to laugh. They suddenly changed back. There were now at least five if them. One of them she knew, because of the large gash on the changeling's leg that caused it to limp, she gave it that by thrashing her -at the time- newly sharply, curved horn at it as they held her down. It in turn gave her, her own limp. Her ears fold back. 

As the number of changelings increased to five in the room, Luna let out a sigh. "Tis not your fault Anwir. We have grown lax after the defeat of Chrysalis. It was only a matter of time before those unreformed changelings would seek the others out...form a new..." she'd look to Blueblood as the term slipped her mind for a moment. "Hive?"

Luna would notice the change in the night guard's demeanor. "Nephew, why is it as soon as we renovate the castle, somecreature decides it is the proper time to invade?" Luna was confident in her general's leadership of the guards in this situation. She'd set the changeling impersonating the poor duke down before turning to face the changeling that seemed to concern Anwir the most. "If it is a battle thou are seeking, I must warn thee," as she glared at him. "The castle gardens could use another statue or two to complement thy former queen."

The princess would quickly put a magical shield over Anwir and Blueblood. "If you come in peace, you are welcome to stay and enjoy the ball. If thou art here for the reasons I suspect however... General Anwir is under my protection. You will not finish what you started those many moons ago, what be that assassination or assimilation."

• Like 1

The Duke impersonator calckled again in amusement. It stood aside for its leader. 

The one with the limp was taller just slightly and had a stoic look. 

It looked to Luna. 

"We are going to have to decline that offer princess, we came here to shed some... Truths as my companion here said. " its voice was deep. And as it walked forward it's limp was prominent. It looks to Anwir as it gets closer. 

"General Aria, a pleasure to see you again." It said with politeness. 

Anwir twitches her left ear to signal to her guards to slowly close in. She doesn't reply to it even as it is a hoof length away, even though she's taller, she feels small under it's gaze. 

It frowns. "No hello? My General, this is a formal ball is it not? A place where manners are most ridiculed. Did you for get them at home?" It says as it circles her slowly so she can follow its movement. 

"You see, Princess Luna. The truths I'd like to reveal have to do with your new head night general. Just in part at most." It looks away from her and to Luna and Anwir feels like she can breathe again. 

The cackling drone suddenly calls out to the other. 

"Oh boy! Sir, it looks like we have a few brave souls!" It says as it points to Anwir's soldiers. 

Suddenly Anwir has a warning beam shot off near her hooves, leaving charred grass. 

"Call them off General." It says. 

Anwir huffs and her soldiers stop approaching. The drone turns back to Luna awaiting her response. 

The sudden revelation of multiple infiltrators caused Blueblood to shift into a battle ready stance, whistling in a pitch to carry.  It was the signal to his own personal honor guard to stand ready.  Not attacking yet, as it seemed that the 'Duke' wished to parley, but his own Captain could be trusted in her judgment of when to arrive.  In the meantime...

"Visits from foreign dignitaries are to file their itineraries with the Foreign Office, or else forfeit any expectation of their accustomed level of hospitality."  He replied, in an offended tone.  "In any case, your insinuations, as I have said before, bely your request for politeness.  Additionally, you ought to know we place a premium on straightforwardness in negotiations, for obvious reasons."  Keep them talking, that was the key....

• Like 1

As everything began happening around her, Luna would roll her eyes. "To hear your truths, if that is the only reason you are hear, I have but a few conditions. First, what is thy name. Knowing a creature's name helps when trying to carry on a conversation, for it seems you know ours. Second, All ponies replaced by your fellow drones are released, no harm done to them, and lastly," as Luna's horn continued to generate a shield over Blueblood and Anwir, "The shield remains. Are these conditions satisfactory for us to have this discussion you so desperately wish to have?" 

• Like 1

It ignored Blueblood's talk on the foreign Office, they would have tried if not for the fact that they are rogue changelings. The Drone thought it over and nodded. 

"That is acceptable. My name is General Crothor and my excitable  companion here is Vesper." Crothor said. 

Crothor signalled to a different drone to go and release the ponies. 

"If it makes the general feel safer by all means, keep it up." Crothor says. He seems to be relatively open in his stance. His voice has been nothing but calm the entire time even with the warning shot towards Anwir. 

"Now, Princess, which truth would you like to hear first? The one of our dear general here," he says as he taps the shield near Anwir, "or of the news in the Badlands?"

Anwir flinches when Crothor taps in the shield. Some of her guards start to move again on instinct. She signals for them to back down. 

"Alright General," Luna would say, calming her voice, though her eyes would remain locked onto the changeling leader. She had to think for a moment which news would deescalate their current situation. With Crothor tapping on her magical shield...testing it, she'd respond. "Perhaps we should start with the Badlands, which is where I assume your journey originated."

• Like 1

Crothor smiled, he knew she'd choose the Badlands first. 

"Of course, dear princess." He says and sits down, Vesper on the other side of the room, followed suit. 

"You may know that plant life was starting to grow in the Badlands. Sadly, it is already dying. We are seeing fights break out all over the Badlands even through our reformed brethren. Our harmony is broken. We believe that is the reason why. I myself thought that possibly that our old queen was perhaps free, mind you while I still feel some solidarity towards her, I do not wish her to be out of her stone prison, " Crothor said. Anwir watched him closely, hoping to see if any of this is a lie. (She's become good at telling if it is or isn't.) He wasn't lying in any way, so far. "I had Vesper and a few others scout and they found that there is an odd presence. One that links to our dear General Aria here.

He taps the shield again, Anwir was still caught off guard and flinched. Her guards didn't move, but how they wished they could. 

Crothor frowned, he probably should have telegraphed his movements better, it would have kept her from flinching most likely. He turned to Luna awaiting to hear her response to such news. 

Luna would look to Blueblood after receiving the first of the news. "I see. Perhaps we can have Cloudsdale send rain to the Badlands to try to sustain the plant life. I must ask however, why was this not brought to Thorax's attention. I am sure that going through the proper channels could have solved this in a much less dramatic way."  Luna tapped her chin. Being much less active on the governing side of Equestria since Twilight Sparkle took over for Celestia, perhaps a request had been made and not gotten to yet. Perhaps Blueblood would be able to chime in as he was much more caught up with the events in Equestria's government.

"As for this news about our guest of honor tonight, is it something that would be better received in my office?" As he tapped on Luna's shield, she'd raise an eyebrow. "I take it that thou are a fan of my spell casting?" Seeing Anwir flinch, Luna would nod to her nephew to take the General's hoof to comfort her as they expected the news.

• Like 1

Crothor looked frustrated when Thorax was brought up. 

"Thorax won't listen to us, just because we refused to transform. He sees it as an act of rebellion. I personally do not see the need to change forms." Crothor said in annoyance. 

He saw Blueblood hold Anwir's hoof in reassurance to the scarred mare, one scar similar to his own. 

Crothor still regrets it, but there's no taking back the wound he gave her. 

He turns to Luna. 

"I would believe it best it be told in private, but I believe General Aria would want to hear it as well." He says. When Luna points out the way he kept touching the shield, he blushes in embarrassment. He has bad eyesight and could barely see the shield except for the small shine it had every now and then. He doesn't voice that though. 

Anwir jumps when Blueblood holds her hoof, but doesn't pull away, lf anything she leans into the silent support. She quietly listened to Crothor and Luna. Other ponies were starting to talk amongst themselves as a distraction, hoping to avoid what's happening. 

Blueblood frowned, at hearing the reason that proper channels were not gone through.  "That... almost sounds like political persecution to me.   One which we shall have to have words with the king about.  It's not without precedent for unreformed changelings to be allowed in as... well, refugees or clients of some political figure.  But generally speaking that is the exception rather than the rule, given the only acknowledged leader of them is, well...."  He gestured off in the direction of the statue gardens.

"I think, Auntie, that is is a meeting that might best be held in my office."   He said, after some consideration.  "Best to keep this under foreign relations rather than pleading an exception for the Crown..."  Part of it was the desire to keep the amount of fuss to a minimum, something that Anwir would likely appreciate.  But a suspicion was growing in his mind that what Crothor was about to reveal or propose had implications in the political sphere that would require experienced handling, and, to be frank, Luna's practical experience was a bit lacking in this area.

• Like 1