Spell Mannor [Ponyville] (Open)

Skycoaster

Solar found himself very well impressed by the show she put on. It was tinged with something eerie or off, but he chalked that up to the performance art being important to her. Part of all magic to some extent was the emotional connection forged not only between the caster and the spell and how emotions powered one and the other alike, but between the caster and the observer. Some ponies took a direct approach and did little to embellish their spells. Others pulled on the many fanciful arts employed across time and did their best to make the act of magic as exciting to modern ponies as it once had been to their ancestors when magic was still new and unusual.

He watched as the demonstration seemed to imply that his sister would be kept safe from bad luck, at least for now. he smiled, breathing a sigh of relief. This mare was Twilight-sent, no doubt. "Oh, thank hoofness. You're a miracle worker, ma'am! Now everypony will be safe for the show. I can't wait to see everypony together, and give my sister the biggest hug of her darn life," Solar said, his wings flapping gently in excitement before he took flight, hovering right over the table. "I must leave, but I'll be sure to spread the good word of Tarot Spell, Ponyville heroine! Well, at least to me you are."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tarot would smirk at Solar’s reaction. All her years of mastering her craft seemed to be worth it. “I appreciate your support, just please leave my little show when you tell other creatures of my services. It takes a lot of energy to preform, and I’d hate to disappoint any future clients.” If she were to be honest, she could pull that trick off in her sleep thanks to her honing her skills in Neigh Orleans. Artificially affecting luck was something that used to be frowned upon, but perhaps times had changed. Last thing she needed was some noble in Canterlot getting all upset and sending the princesses after her. 

“Before you go…,” she would write down three numbers on a piece of paper and place it in an envelope. “Your family’s seats. Do not peak till after the show. I must also warn you. While your loved ones in Filly are safe from bad luck at the moment….it may attach itself to somepony else, close to you...” 

She’d walk the hovering Pegasus towards the front of the house and open the door for Solar. “Rest up. Tomorrow is going to be a very eventful day.”

• Hearthoof 1

Solar nodded happily. He wouldn't speak to them until after. He was very good at following orders, just ask his sister! He wasn't wholly happy that bad luck would fall on somepony else, but his family deserved some good luck after all this apparent string of bad luck. One good day was all they would need, right? "Got it. Don't speak to them until afterwards, don't tell anyone about your show, and be wary that the bad luck goes somewhere else," he nodded before pirouetting out of his chair in excitement. "Thank you so much for this. They really need it. heck, I do! And now everything will be better. Well, marginally at least, and I do well with margins!" He said as he pranced his way out. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I hope your day is as fantastic as mine will be!" He said, finishing with a flourish as he left.

It would be some time before a series of hard knocks would come again on her door.
"Howdy? This tha home that Apple Bloom been workin' at?" Came a very familiar voice from the outside, sounding somewhat more harried than usual. 

image.png

It had been a trying time for Applejack. After her injury she had never fully recovered, though she was more than well enough to fake it for the good of others. Both of her foals were as beautiful and fantastic as the day's brightest rays but boy howdy were they energetic. The farm asked a lot; Tempest Shadow was staying with her and she was a bag of emotions. Abby was staying with her, and that was an ordeal. Her brother's family was around. All of this she enjoyed tremendously, but it was a lot to take in, and her wife- husband- wife- husband- dangit, her Rainbow Dash, had gone ahead and done a fool thing. There was so much going on, and she didn't feel like she could turn to her usual sources for help. So why not chat up somepony that Abby was stumping for, even if AJ thought of it as hokum?

Once Solar left, Tarot went back to work, slowly bringing the old manor back to its former glory. She had foreseen only one customer today, so the knock on her door came somewhat of a shock, or at least as shocked as a fortune teller could be. When she heard the voice from behind the door, she would smile. “Well this is an unexpected surprise,” she’d say before opening the door. 

“Greeting neighbor. Please come in. Can I interest you in a cup of tea?” She’d motioned for Applejack to follow her to the main parlor and motion for her to take a seat. “It’s been quite a while hasn’t it?” She wanted to say that her old classmate hadn’t changed much, but that would have been a lie. For only being a year and a half older than her, she could tell something rough had happened to her even without a card reading. 

She’d smile and and though finally answering her initial question. “Apple Bloom had been helping out a few days a week. She has a gift for botany. Thanks to her, the rare plants in the conservatory under control once again.”

Tarot would stair at AJ for a moment. “You don’t remember me, do you? Perhaps you’d remember me by my nickname….Solitaire…since I was always playing with cards.”

image.png

Applejack took a few seconds to readily recall the mare in front of her. When she did, she was more than a little happy to see an old face. Unicorns weren't the most common type of pony in Ponyville those days and so they tended to stick out in her mind, especially ones like Solitaire here who was just a bit...weird. Not bad weird, but certainly different from the rest. Ponies like her were memorable in many ways and while AJ wasn't gonna pretend like they were the best of friends or anything, her smile was genuine. "Solitaire? Why, sure Ah remember you. Y'all used ta do card tricks that left mah brain scrambled somethin' fierce. An' remember that time Rarity was convinced you could tell her what sorta gem would look prettiest in ten years?" Applejack snorted as she laughed. "Those were fun times. Ah'm happy ta see ya back. Ah reckoned it mighta been you when Abby was tellin' me 'bout this here place but Ah couldn't be sure. Happy ta see it in good hoves, sugarcube," Applejack said as she followed the mare inside.

"Happy ta hear Abby's been helping you. Truth be told she is running haggard, but it's good to get her out and about 'sides from work and her lil' ones. Ain't such a bad deal for yerself. Them plants look mighty nice," she said as she gave them a quick look over. "That there ain't a prickly paired poinsetta, ain't it? Those things have a heck of a time in this climate. Must be hard ta maintain it, Ah reckon," she said as they continued to trot about. Applejack turned her attention back to Tarot. "What made ya come back, anywho? Can't say no to this here big country air, can't ya? As for tea, that sounds pretty good on mah account."

• Like 1

Tarot would pour the tea and take a seat across from the Apple before taking a sip. “Family. Family is what brought me home. Something I know you understand all too well.” It was then Tarot would look her old classmate over and notice just how badly she had been injured since her last visit to Ponyville. Whatever had happened to Applejack, she must have been just lucky enough to survive. Smiling, she’d levitate a cup over to her guest. 

“So then,” she’d start. “What brings you back into these haunted halls? I believe the last time you came to visit was with your mother. Did you come to check on Apple Bloom, or perhaps to inquire about one of my talents?” 

image.png

Applejack had to think back far and hard to remember their last visit together, especially here. It was impressive that Soli had such good recall! When Applejack did remember, it brought a smile to her face quick and easy. Her mama had come by to give Soli's parents some top-shelf cider while the two fillies played. Well, not much playing really. Applejack just talked her friend's ear off about something new she had learned about frogs, having recently captured half a dozen in an effort to start a business about frog petting. Shockingly, it did not pay off, but the days of youth- how she sometimes wished she could do it all over again!

She sighed as she leaned back, the softness of her seat relieving her back a bit. "Oh, just mostly here ta shoot tha hay. Nothing too much has been happenin' on mah end. Ah mean, Ah got mahself hurt but Ah feel better now," she said, lying to herself more than anypony else, "an mah wife ha gone crazy, Ah think. Wife..." Applejack scoffed, hoof to face and shaking it. "Husband. Rainbow went ahead and got herself- himself, darnit- all mixed up cause of a spell gone wrong. Now he's bigger than mah brother an' half as feminine. Ain't that a kick in the flank! At least mah foals ain't turnin' into this or that. Can't say Ah expected that when Ah got up that day, but...them's tha breaks. How've you been hangin' on, aside from all of Abby's free work for ya?"

• Like 1

Tarot's eyes would narrow as she tapped her chin. "Ah yes, Rainbow Dash. I don't think I ever had the pleasure. I did read that Friendship book that was released a few years ago though...and all the stories of how you and your friends saved Equestria many times...I believe I know her well enough. As for the spell, I believe that would have been cast by Princess Twilight?" Lounging back into her chair, Tarot would take a sip of her tea. "I can only imagine what one would have to give up for such a spell to work, even if where cast to perfection. There's an old sayin dawn on the bayou about spells like that. Vous avez obtenu ce que vous vouliez mais vous avez perdu ce que vous aviez. You get what ya wanted, but lose what ya have." 

Tarot would look up at the portrait of herself over the fireplace as it added a few more brush strokes. Seeing it was painting her mane with the stray hairs reassembling horns, she'd roll her eyes before forcing a chuckle. "Enchanted painting. Said to capture one's true self. Must be all those bad mane days from when we where young."

"You know... one thing about that story bothers me. Why did the princess not attempt a healing spell for a truly ailing friend?" Tarot would smirk. "I believe somepony may have their priorities mixed up. Captain of the Wonderbolts...Elite flyer... Seems like she was already top of her game. I hope she plans on using that new body of her...his do the tasks at Sweet Apple Acres that you can no longer do..." Tarot would levitate the pot of tea to refill Applejack's cup before continuing. "As for your alicorn friend, it would seem that she has an ego of her own. Magic has it's own risks consequences. It would seem this wasn't a lone incident. I seem to remember reading a journal entry about turning another friend into a bat... and at the expense of thousands in losses to your farm." She's sigh deeply before continuing. "You know, there are other ways to fix the predicament you are currently in. Ways that may be looked down upon in these modern times." Smirking, she'd begin shuffling a deck of tarot cards in her green aura. "You know, I've only ever gotten one prediction wrong since I found my gift. My second prediction when we both where in school actually. I predicted that you would end up with Rarity...though with the current trajectory of things...I may have just foreseen too far ahead...."

• Apple 1

image.png

Applejack didn't speak fancy much, though thankfully Soli translated it for her. AJ didn't quite know what was happening in that equation, since she wasn't quite so sure what Rainbow had lost or what Twi had lost. Indeed, the only pony who had lost anything, she could tell anyway, was Applejack. She thought about that as she looked at the painting. It was a weird painting to be sure. Applejack hadn't seen it much when she entered, but had to take notice once it became a topic of Soli's attention. Was it making her look a bit...evil? She dispatched that thought quickly. It was stinkin' thinkin' leaking in through her mind, as it was wont to do sometimes in moments of bitterness. 'Sides, why would she draw attention to something if she thought it would make her look bad? The thought made Applejack chuckle, which helped her at least for a moment pull into a good mood.

And that, in turn, helped her correct one small thing. "Oh, Twi did help. Heck, 'ccordin' ta tha doctors, Ah would probably have been paralyzed without her spell matrix knitting up mah spinal column or somesuch. But...Ah mean, magic is hard, but Ah always reckoned it could just totally fix me, ya know? Heh. Heh, 'fix'," she said, air-quoting as much as she could with a small tinge of bitterness. "Now that you mention it, there was another time. Ah had a male cousin, name of Valen Orange. Well, he was a strange colt, ya know? Liked ta be dressin' like a filly. Long enough and certain enough, we reckoned he wanted to be a she. An' then Twilight cast an' made one heck of a mistake..." Applejack thought on it for a second. "Well...maybe, maybe not a mistake in full," she said, rubbing the back of her head. "We all assumed that she wanted ta be a she, ya know? An' based on how it's all gone down, we were right. But when Twi cast that dang spell, well...mah earth pony cousin from Manehatten who sounded like he was already in some sorta fancy college came out soundin' like a dang valley filly. An' a unicorn! Dangit, Ah mean- Ah love Moonlight Glitter with all mah heart and she's a fine young mare, but Twi can't tell me that it was all accidental, can she?" Applejack pondered, getting a bit...angry.

Twilight was the most powerful being in the world. She had control over magic in ways both majestic and detailed. So why the hay was she so capable of messing it up so often? And why did Rainbow really need or want to change herself? Yeah, she wanted to stay at the top but did she need to take such risks? Why the hay did everypony around her seem to take dumb risks and make dumb decisions or make dumb mistakes while she sat here, not doing any of that bull poo and yet finding herself the recipient of a field of it? It was enough to drive a mare mad.

She took a deep breathe as she allowed herself to be pulled back from her anger. "Ah love Rainbow, regardless of all this. But it's just...jus' hard. Hard goin' from a hardworkin', hard-chargin' mare to not only being hurt to high heavens but now...well, now RD can do just about everything Ah could do, but so much better. 'Cept bucking, that requires finesse and all. But almost every other task...Dash is faster than me, stronger than me, has more stamina than me, is more athletic than me...well, an' obviously he can fly," she sighed, head laying on her hoof as she put it on the table, "an' a stallion, which Ah'm just...you know. Eh, not my favorite flavor. Ah feel like I'm three steps towards bein' nothin' ta nopony. Like a purse or a nice shoe...but, Ah don't reckon any of that's really true. So much has happened. Ah've been so certain of mahself for so long, and so recently it's all been upended. Suppose it's just taking me time ta adjust," Applejack laughed as she looked up, "but Rares? Land's sake, could you imagine that? Don't reckon Ah should be followin' yer lotto advice much," she laughed, looking at the cards.

"But when in Roam an' all that. How 'bout these here cards?"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tarot would listen to her old classmate, taking in every small detail as Applejack spoke. She’d take mental notes of Applejack’s reactions. Quick to the defense of her friends, but showing doubt. The unicorn’s brain would begin plotting just what cards to play…and how to interpret them for maximum effect. Saying magic was unpredictable… that was an excuse that most ponies used when they screwed up. Something being unpredictable, she’d scoff at the thought. 

“I seem to remember you saying your brother wanting to be a unicorn once in class and we all got a good giggle out of it.” 

“Hmmm,” she’d say as the conversation turned to Rainbow Dash. “I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure of meeting her…er him. Must have moved here after I left for Neigh Orleans. I have read a few of her friendship letters from the book though. Prideful and boastful. Never a good combination. A risk taker as well if I remember correctly.” Tarot would smirk. “You know that book is quite the useful tool, even without reading your fortune.” She’d chuckle. 

“As for that Rarity production, opposites do attract, and I hadn’t fully discovered my talent.”

Standing, Tarot would motion to a large portrait that doubled as a door. As it opened, she’d step inside. “A proper reading requires the proper tools.” Tarot’s horn would glow as the lights lit in the hidden room. She’d take a seat and wait for AJ to follow before placing three cards face down in front of her. “The card you pick will determine the fortune to be told.”

• Like 1

image.png

Ha! Yeah, that brought back some memories. "Yeah, that was a fun one. He was convinced that his crush wouldn't give him tha time of day unless he sported a horn. Well, she had her eyes on a pegasus. Turns out, she just liked 'em small. Fancy that!" She chortled, shaking her head. Her brother was a silly colt. Silly stallion too, whenever you got past that stoic exterior of his. The Apples could be very silly ponies. 

"As for Rainbow, well, he's all those things. Prideful, boastful. Risk-taker. Rainbow is also brave, loyal, funny, an' adventurous. Maybe too adventurous, sometimes. Mare, err, stallion don't know when ta stop. Heh. Sometimes thats nice. Sometimes a fine-looking mare becomes a muscled up stallion, so I s'pose it can be good or bad dependin'. Ah'm sure you'd like Rainbow. Mighty playful, that one," she smiled, "Ah bet we could both sign yer copy of that book, if you've got a quill ready later."

Later, of course, because they were heading to a new room. A spooky room. Something went up and down her spine, a tingle and a prick. She didn't find a lot of good things were in such places, the unusual places of Equestria. But she was here for Tarot and this was part of her business, right? She wasn't about to cut down a showmare's showmareship, was she? She followed Tarot into the darkened room.

"Hehe, wooah nelly, you sure did put yer bits where your mouth went, didn't ya?" She said as she sat down, looking at the three cards. She couldn't make heads or tails of what they were supposed to mean, archaic symbols and such making her pick one instinctually. "How about...this one?" Applejack said, picking out the one on the left. 

"This room dates back to the founding of Ponyville. It was the first part of this house to be built after all. My mother always use to say the old Zap Apple tress roots encircle this house, giving it extra special supernatural abilities," she'd wink. As AJ selected her card, Tarot wold grin. "It seems you have selected Ace of Pentacles. A good omen for the future of Sweet Apple Acres." Tarot would levitate the card, as well as the rest of the deck to herself within her green aura, as her eyes glowed a matching green. She'd deal four cards, the first of which caused her smirk. "I see many bountiful harvests in your future. Plenty of bits to be made both in and out of Ponyville." As she moved on to the next card, she'd pause and take a deep breath. This card was delt upside down which was never a good thing. "I appears that a hardship is ahead for you. You must make a tough choice in the coming year. A record setting apple crop awaits, though unless something changes, many apples will rot on the trees. In your condition you will not be able to harvest them all on your own. It will require your whole family to complete, including your wife...er husband, brother, sister, and children if you hope to even get close to completing harvest."

As she moved to the third card, she'd roll her eyes and take a deep breath. "The Zap Apples...this year it looks like the harvest falls on a holiday. I know that you are no stranger to working all hours of days, any day that it's required, but how will your family take to having be up all night just for one harvest."

Finally she came to the last card. She'd look down to the card then up to Applejack then back to the card. "Start writing letters to all the Apple clan now. If you are to finish this record year, you will need every hoof you can get...or be prepared to hire a few farmhoofs on top of having your friends help...."

image.png

The reading made a lot of sense to her, especially if she was supposed to believe this room was wrapped up in the embrace of the Everfree's singul;sr gift, the Zap Apples and their mother trees. So, a major boon was hers. A great harvest? Heh, she knew that to be true., Every harvest was great, even the bad ones, if you worked hard and long enough. That fact gave her some pause. She wouldn't be able to work as long or as hard, and the thought bothered her tremendously. She loved the work, the hours, the blood, sweat, and love she gave her Orchard for the family. The idea that she was reduced at such an inopportune time troubled her, but she knew she had help. Her kids may not have a love of the Acres the way she did, but they'd work their manes off when needed for the good of the family. She was sure of it. Apple Bloom? Maybe not as much as before, but certainly some. Big Mac? Duh. Sugar belle, she was a bit of a klutz but she'd put the effort in. Dash? Dash would. Heck, Dash'd be better than ever. 

"Well, that just sounds like plum good news for me. Ah know Ah can get all manner of good help makin' tha harvest rock n' roll. Family from all over, you betcha. Friends? All sorts and then some. Ah reckon everypony'd be willin' ta help out. And if they don't, Ah'll rope'm in. You too, if Ah had ta," she winked as she leaned in. "Ain't so bad! An Apple is an Apple, an' they well know sometimes ya gotta sacrifice and one night ain't a big deal." 

Tarot would smirk as she leaned back into her chair. "Well, I'm glad that you are satisfied with your reading. As for the other two cards, perhaps on another visit. I have a policy of one reading per pony per day. Nothing personal, It's just I find a single reading to be more accurate. Besides, this give me an excuse to perhaps meet the rest of your family. I wish that I could say the same for mine, but I'm all that's left now. The hazards of working with the supernatural I suppose....and in a way the main reason I'm back home. Oh the fun a mare could have had in Neigh Orleans.... and the things you can learn if you go deep enough into the bayous."

Waving a hoof over her crystal ball, her horn would glow green. "How lucky you are," as an image of Zap Apple throwing an apple at his younger sister appeared. "Zap and Ambrosia, correct?" Leaning forward, she would wispier into Applejack's ear. "Apples and the number three do not go together," as the ball flashed to baby Apple Bloom. "And messing around with magic will only complicate things. If you wish a third foal," The crystal ball would flash black. "The pegasus must bare it, and endure all pregnancy involves."

Standing, Tarot would motion towards the exit of the room. "Can I get you another cup of tea before you are on your way?"

image.png

Applejack nodded. She understood better than most that you didn't want to do more than your allotted amount of work. Of course, if you asked Applejack what her allotment of work should be on any given day her answer would be a simple affirmation followed by bucking sounds. She wasn't perfect, but like most good mothers said, do as she preached not as she did. She'd have to tell her foals that one day when they caught her with cider, she knew that for certain. "Heh, well, Ah'm not so certain RD would himself up in here. Ain't much for, err, the decor. An' it'd scare mah kids, but Ah reckon Ah could...well, Ah could at least tell'm bout ya!" She offered pleasantly. It was true. She didn't think her family would wanna visit, but maybe they'd shock her.

Almost as much as the next words shocked her. She wanted to be really pissed off, and the brief flash of instinctual anger that showed on her features was primal. What the hay was she implying? And what was she saying about Apple Bloom, at that? Her mama wouldn't want anything under the sun to be blamed for what happened to her! "Ha. Ha. Well, ya'll ain't gentle, ain't cha?" She said, laughing without humor. "Well, Ah did Rainbow that she'd have ta carry tha next one. I'm thinking he is excited ta not have that chance. Haha, that bird brain," she said, trying to keep herself level. "But, uhh, as for that tea, Ah can get it. Want a cup too?"

Tarot raised an eyebrow as she could tell she hit a nerve. She would go into damage control mode as she sat back down in the parlor. "That ball only shows what the spirits wish to be seen. I myself do not blame anypony for anything." Sighing she'd look to the old chandelier hanging from the ceiling of the room. "Apple Bloom has been great help to me and she is growing into a fine, young, but somewhat unlucky mare." Waiting for AJ to pour some more tea, she'd then continue. "Sometimes that trance is a gift, others a curse... I don't know what's coming out of my mouth at times."

Tapping her chin for a moment, she'd smile as she shuffled a deck and placed three cards on the coffee table. "Looks like I will be seeing you and Rainbow in two weeks." as she levitated the 'lovers' card to her, before she frowned. "I miss the days of simple card predictions. Now that I have inherited the mantle of Mistress of Spell Manor, things have gotten more complex, something that I'm sure you understand as the head of the Apple household now."

image.png

She could blame it as much as she wanted to on such things as spirits or other powers beyond her control, but Applejack wasn't gonna let her off the hook. She was being mighty understanding of Soli's need to be a showmare of some scale, but Applejack wasn't happy to hear some of the worst parts of her life being put up and into the show for some damned reason. Still, she was going to be friendly and neighborlyu and try to steer the two back into compliance with the friendship they had once had, if only because both of their mamas woulda tanned Applejack's hide if she listened to the rasher and more impulsive voices of a baser nature in her.

"Ah reckon Ah do. Ain't so easy as it used ta be, huh? Ha. Ever wish y'all could be a kid again, Soli?" Applejack asked as she delicately poured the tea, giving out Tarot's before her own and sitting back down. "Would be a mite easier, Ah suppose. Still work mah tail off but at least Ah wouldn't have all them aches, pains, and worries!" She laughed before taking a sip and an associated deep breath afterwards. "That's some good tea. Apple Bloom is unlucky, you say? Ah mean, Ah suppose you could say that. Reckon with all tha things she's had ta put up with, coulda turned out a lot worse. Real proud of her, in truth, 'least when Ah'm not feeling mah age darken mah gaze a bit. Does your trance tell you why Dash'll be here?"

Taking a deep sigh, Tarot would answer. "To go back to our foalhood, yes. To be a foal in today's world....no thank you. I have seen first hoof the drama and problems that foals today have to deal with, and besides....what even is the new math I've heard of." When the talks turned back to Apple Bloom, Tarot would frown and nod. "On her journey it seems she picked up a case of minor bad luck. Something that just wearing a little trinket should ward off. I'll give you one as well just to be safe." A small smirk would grace Tarot's face. "She has done a wonderful job working in my conservatory. So much so that...." She'd levitate a bag of bits toward AJ to count. "I'd like to pay her to keep maintaining it. This big old manor needs bodies in it to keep it's history alive and maintained anyway."

When the talk changed to the card that predicted her return with Dash, Tarot would give a chuckle. "The trance...that is a....well..." She'd sigh. "Telling the future with cards is simple with talent. The lovers represent you and your 'husband.' It was the 13th card when I shuffled which means you will be seeing me in 13 days." As she tried to demonstrate it by flipping the cards all on their face, a shocked expression would appear on her face as she quickly turned the devil card back over, hiding the card that represented her in this setting, before re-flipping them all, hoping her friend hadn't noticed the card the deck assigned to her.

image.png

"Ha! Ain't that tha truth. Well, s'pose it is simple enough on tha farm. Apple math is a math that never changes and is always right," she laughed as she took a few sips of the tea in a rather brutish fashion, at least according to what Rarity had told her about all the ins and outs of proper tea drinking etiquette. She just cared that it tasted good and yep, it sure as shine did. She wasn't so distracted however that she didn't see the bag of bits heading her way and took them safely. "Wow! Well, Ah reckon she'll be mighty thankful. And it'd help her a lot, too. She could use a little bit in tha bank, right?" She said with a smile, thankful for the bits as she put them away. She hadn't thought that Apple Bloom had been doing work entirely for free, of course, but she had assumed it was for readings o favors or some such. Applejack hadn't asked; it had seemed mighty silly.

She watched the cards as Tarot explained her process. It was an interesting little system she had cooked up, something that would allow her to modulate what she had to say with just enough specificity and vagueness combined to give her ample room to awe and deflect. Applejack a few years ago would have reamed the whole thing as dishonest, but she knew better than that. Everypony knew what they were here for and Tarot gave them what they wanted, what they needed, and she did so with a bit of showmareship and personality. There wasn't anything wrong with that! She also found the cards nifty. "Aww, I like yer tarot cards. Why, that devil card was mighty spooky looking. Hehe, Ah bet you're gonna make sure everypony in town has their own cards soon, ain'tcha?" She joked, finishing her tea.

"Well, Ah gotta scoot along now. Ah'm sure Ah'm keepin' ya from other affairs. It's been real good catching up with ya, Soli. Don't be a stranger 'round tha Acres yerself, sugarcube!" She said as she waved goodbye and trotted away, none the wiser about what fate had just been set for her.

• Like 1

image.png

As the Mayor of Ponyville, Spoiled Rich would of course keep up on major developments in the town, and the return of Tarot Spell had been one of them.  There were few families in town whose presence and promince equalled that of the Spells; as a matter of fact, the Riches and the Apples may well be the only other two.  Up until recently, however, the old manor had been host to matriarchs rather more reclusive than the current occupant; none of the Spells had weighed in or commented on the last election, for instance.

But now that the house was occupied, and open for business, Spoiled felt it incumbent on herself to pay a visit, establish relations, one prominent mare to another.  Whether or not she believed in such things as fare or fortune telling were besides the point; much like election promises, really: statements about the future meant to secure a result in the present, whether it be the transfer of funds or the casting of votes.  After allowing Tarot time enough to settle in, therefore, Mayor Rich would pay her a visit during her afternoon rounds, stepping up smartly in her mayoral dress, tapping on the front door to indicate her presence.

• Hearthoof 1

Sipping her tea, Tarot would nod. “Strange as it sounds, everypony is assigned two cards at birth. These can be used in many ways to predict a pony’s future in a way. Though accurate, they leave plenty of room for interpretation of the reader or the recipient.” She’d chuckle. “Now if you want the most accurate prediction… but I’m sure you must be on your way.” 

Standing, Tarot would follow Applejack to the door. “You may be seeing me sooner than think. Maybe all our old classmates can get together. I haven’t been able to get out much since returning to Ponyville. It might be fun to compare how everypony turned out compared to those early predictions I made in grade school, don’t you think?” 

She’d wave to her old friend as she left. “I will see you and Rainbow Dash in two weeks,” she’d say with a wink.

With Applejack now on her way home, Tarot would go back to her parlor. Looking at the chair where Applejack sat, she’d smirk as she levitated a few stray mane hairs and would put them in a jar before labeling it. “These might come in handy,” she’d say to herself before placing the jar back into the hidden room. 

Not long after, as Tarot finished a daffodil sandwich, another rap would come at her door. She’d look up and sigh as she placed her leftovers into the fridge. “Coming,” she’d call out, almost singing it.”

Tarot horn would glow as she stood at the end of the foyer hallway, her eyes matching the glow as the large old double doors would open to o her next customer…no guest. “Please enter, and welcome to Spell Manor. And who may I ask are you mayor? I don’t believe I recolonize your face from my foalhood in Ponyville.”

image.png

The fact that the sight of the mare opening the door was a frame-for-frame remake of a horror film opening that she remembered from one of her early dates with Filthy was not going to faze Spoiled Rich.  No, she wasn't going to be creeped out or let that bias her in any way.  Nope.

Steeling herself against any remaining foalish fears, Spoiled cleared her throat.  "No, no, I grew up on the Dairy farm down the river; I came up to Ponyville after marrying my husband, Filthy Rich."  She passed this over casually, though it was always a little awkward and painful for her to discuss her agricultural background.  As an earth pony with higher aspirations than getting her hooves dirty making food, her familiar past was a frank embarrassment to her.  There was a reason to this day she had never taken Diamond to visit her grandparents.

• Like 1

Tarot would smirk at Spoiled as she began to walk towards her, closing the doors behind the mayor with her aura. As she would approach, the natural light from the windows would reveal Tarot to be just a unicorn, not some ghost. "Welcome to my home Mayor Rich. I didn't mean to frighten you..prematurely," she'd chuckle. "It appears this house has gathered quite a few legends about it since my father's disappearance and my mother's passing. Even when I was a foal, having playmates visit was rare. They all would prefer I went to their homes for some reason."

"While we're in the foyer, perhaps I can give you a quick history lesson,"  as she pointed to a large painting of the house just after it was built, Apples and Spells in front of it. "My family built this home with the assistance of the Apples long ago. My great grandfather was a somewhat famous astronomer back in Canterlot, and my great grandmother made a name for herself telling fortunes." Smiling, she'd motion for Spoiled to follower her. "Most of the contents of this house came from Canterlot. Between my grandmother and great grandmother, it's amazing what a collection of antiques they amassed, though most of them in their day where new. When I was a foal I'd always be afraid to touch things for that reason."

As she reached the parlor, Tarot would smile. "Please, have a seat. So, what brings you to Spell Manor? Do you seek one of my services, or perhaps a tour? You know, this house used to be the tallest building in Ponyville for many years till the current town hall was built, and even then some would say that's only because of the balcony. The highest room in this house is on the fourth floor of the tower after all."

image.png

As the windowlight dispelled her irrational impressions, Spoiled let herself relax, observing the interior.  While her own home was of a significantly more modern style of architecture and furnishing, she could recognize and feel communion with a fellow moneyed mare.  But this money was old money, aged over the generations until it soaked into the bones of the ponies with it, setting them apart in status and comportment...

Or so at least her inner snobbishness would remark.  The rest of her couldn't help but notice that despite the aged grandeur of the manor before her, there was a general ill-kept atmosphere about the place, and Tarot was, in the end, using it as a a shopfront, just like any of the other petit bourgious in town, so the mayor resolved to not be overawed.  She stood to the side, politely listening to Tarot's family history as she took a seat.  "So you've come home... to pick up the family business, it sounds like?"

She pursed her lips as the purpose of her visit was inquired, "Oh, well, I don't want to inconvenience you, but for tax and registry purposes all business operations do need to file with town hall, and we haven't gotten any of your papers, you know.  I suppose you'd not have any way of knowing beforehand, so you're not in trouble or in arrears of fees, but if you intend to keep up shop here, I will need you to fill out and sign a few things..."

Tarot would chuckle at Spoiled's words. "I've come home to my inheritance," she'd say with a grin. "At to keep this house from falling into further shambles. It's a long, tedious process to get everything just right after all." Talking a deep sigh, she would continue, "But yes. I do plan on offering my talents to ponies near and far."

Standing, she'd smirk. "How about a tour before we do the paperwork? There are some rooms in this house that haven't been seen by non family members in many moons." She'd give a chuckle before pointing to her own portrait over the fireplace in her parlor. "I bet you have never seen of these. This is a legacy portrait. An enchanted piece of art that becomes more complete based on the actions of the subject." She hoped that the Mayor would ignore or not see how it had interpenetrated her with horns, however she'd be quick to thrown in her common defense. "As you can see, I had quite a few bad mane days when I was younger. Now then," as she looked around the parlor, "This is the first of the rooms I've restored by my own hoof. I've gotten almost three rooms done of the first floor....oh and the conservatory, with the assistance of that nice Apple mare, Apple Bloom."

"Follow me please." as she began walking back to the foyer. "This room is next on my list, but I fear it will require the assistance a craftsmare with all this wooden paneling. I also need to move my parent's portrait's to the hallway we just walked through, as tradition. Now then," as she went up the foyer staircase before standing by the large oak door, "This is a rare occasion," Her horn would glow as the door swung inward revealing a dining room that doubled as a ball room. "Name me a house outside of Canterlot nobility that has it's own ballroom?" she'd joke before walking in. "Mind the dust. My mother wasn't the best housekeeper....Speaking of, would a pony of your pedigree  be able to recommend a good maid?"