Spell Mannor [Ponyville] (Open)

Skycoaster

image.png

"Hm, yes, I can imagine keeping up a house like this would be quite the effort."  Spoiled Rich had to admit, looking around the place.  Impressive as it all was, the manor was still mostly wood, not the most durable of materials.  There had probably been no brick kilns or stone quarries set up, and certainly nopony built their domiciles with concrete in the old days.  Spoiled, for her part, was willing to chalk up a point for modernity internally, but kept the observation to herself.

On beign offered a tour, she gave a shrug and a smile.  "Well, I don't see why not.  I'm not in any hurry to get back."  It wasn't as if returning to the office any earlier would make the end of the workday come any faster.  And even if it had... returning home was less and less an attractive prospect these days.  Sparing a glance up at the portrait, she gave a dutiful chuckle at Tarot's joke about bad mane days, a little too absorbed in her own imagined version of such a picture of herself to note such details as devil horns.  "And that, madam, is why we never should neglect our beauty sleep or self care!  I don't think I should have aged half so well without constant effort to keep up appearances!"  Laughing lightly, she followed her hostess up the hallway.

"Apple Bloom?  Ah, so that little... filly is working on your house's restoration?"  There wasn't exactly the best of feelings between Spoiled and the younger mare, though that was honestly the last of the Apple family that she'd reckon she'd had any bad blood with.  Applejack had proven a staunch political ally, and Spoiled herself had subsidized the poor mare's hospital bill after the sporting accident.  Insurance companies could be so stingy these days...  "As for a good maid, I got mine from a Canterlot placement agency.  There's not much in the way of a market for maids in towns like this, so you have to import them from a city with a good density of servants.  The best are trained in the great houses, and later go into service on their own once the lord or lady of the manor can no longer afford the indefinite extension of their staff.  I have some contacts that I can make inquiries of, but supplies are a little more constrained these days.  Prince Blueblood's staff used to be the one that usually shed excess maids, but not so much these days, now that he's started having foals, not to mention the sphinx that lives with him!"

• Like 1

Tarot would give the mayor a fake smile as she mentioned ageing. "If only I would have had the luxuries while I was a way from Ponyville to hone my craft. Comforts such as spa treatments where not as common in Hayseed Swamp and Neigh Orleans as they are in Canterlot or even Ponyville, though I found other ways to keep myself youthful," as she'd smirk.

"As for Apple Bloom, she has such a talent with rare plants, I feel rather proud to have her help tame that conservatory while I work on...other aspects of the restoration." Tarot would tap her chin though as Spoiled would talk about maid services. "Perhaps I shall have to wright the agency in Canterlot then. At my rate without help, I may have the first floor done in a year, and this ballroom....maybe a year on it's own." She'd laugh. "Once the spring comes, I'll need a contractor of course to repaint the manor in it's entirety, sticking to the muted color pallet it was built with...."

"Now then, before I boar you any longer with history, let's head back down to my library and get that paperwork out of the way, shall we? We both have things we must do today....Unless you'd like a card reading after...you know, as my first 'official' customer." She'd chuckle, motioning for Spoiled to follow down the back stairway. "I wonder, dose Ponyville offer historical status for structures? Maybe we can get that paperwork rolling as well?"

• Like 1

image.png

As one who by nature and profession wore proverbial masks of moods in public, Spoiled Rich knew and respected fake smiles when she saw them.  She couldn't bring herself to strip the mask off any mare of a certain age; especially not when she felt they could do her some favors.  "Oh?  I might be interested in learning what other little ways you've found to resist the tyrannies of time."  Spoiled would say with a smile and a nod.

Following her down to the library, Spoiled tilted her head ot one side.  "No, now that I think about it, we don't have any historical designation in Ponyville for buildings.  Yet, anyway; it is the sort of thing that we ought to start getting around to, given the number of now famous mares that call this town home.  Not to mention the Palace, and the Friendship school... still, I won't pretend that the lack of any such designation wasn't a an ease to our development over the years.  At the end of the day, sometimes you have to tear down the old to build anything new.  Of course, when one gets older, one is no longer entranced with such revolutionary notions to a large extent..."  She sighed, as they came to the desk where they would be signed.  "Not that such measures ever cease to be necessary.  On that note, actually, I would like a reading once we finish here."

Not that Spoiled would have said she believed any of this mumbo-jumbo.  Of course not.  But there was something she wanted, something that she couldn't quite bring herself to pursue, just because of what she'd have to tear down to get it.  All she needed was just a little push from outside, no matter how silly it might be...

• Like 1

With the paperwork laid out before her, Tarot would quickly read over every paragraph, making sure there was no fine print that she wasn't prepared for. Nodding, she'd levitate an ink well and an old quill over to sign her name with a flourish before levitating the documents to Spoiled. "Now then, follow me."

Tarot would move to the den where her main reading room was. "So, shall we began?" She would levitate the deck of tarot cards to her, her eyes matching the glow of her green aura. The first card she drew was the lovers, in the reversed position. "Hm," she'd say looking over Spoiled. "Marital problems I see." The next three cards she drew would only have her shaking her head. "Two paths lie ahead, both with their own pain."

She'd pull one final card, looking Spoiled over from ear to tail. "It appears that your brain has made a decision, though can your heart handle it." Flipping the card, she'd sigh. "A deviance is in your future. Though civil, it will bring much heartache. Though you will be well off financially...still the richest mare in town, you will be lonely. A child chooses her father as her bond with him will only grow. Though you and your husband may remain friends, your friends an colleagues will fill the need to choose sides."

Flipping the last card, Tarot would laugh. "It would appear that your parents are coming to Ponyville, expecting one happy family. For their sake....and yours...hold off on any action till after their visit."

• Like 1

image.png

The paperwork was simple, perfunctory even.  Mayor Rich had made genuine efforts towards keeping her campaign promise not to tie down Ponyville's entrepreneurs with red tape.  Especially when she was interested in their services.

It was perhaps a negative stereotype that mares of her age and class paid too much attention to astrology, crystal-gazing, and other such 'superstitious' rituals, but Spoiled herself could never articulate the difference between them and legitimate wizardry... other than the fact that they were the sorts of magic non-unicorns could do.  Perhaps that accounted for the stigma, one tribe trying to monopolize non-physical power and the prestige associated with it.  Spoiled could certainly believe that of other ponies, even if most around her seemed too naive for that...

The first part of Tarot's reading confirmed to her that she was either a genuine psychic, or just sufficiently good at observation and deduction to be worth listening to.  "I would hope I hadn't made it too obvious, but... well.  Things certainly haven't been the easiest lately."

The fact that she was in for a rough time no matter which way the chips fell was not exactly shockingly original as an insight, but at least she wasn't being dishonest.  "I wouldn't engage in an exit unless I felt that I had a place to go, at this point..."  From the way Spoiled was talking, Tarot might guess that she was already having someone else in mind.  A new life to start after severing ties to the old one.

The last card, though, that was a surprise, not a pleasant one, but still good to know.  "What?  After all this time, they dare darken my door again-"  The outburst came out suddenly, speaking of bad blood between her and the house she grew up in.  She cut herself off, snorting.  "Huff, all I'll say about that is... I want you to picture in your mind the sort of mother who, having 'Milk' as her last name, decides to call her daughter 'Spoiled.'  I'm not giving their feelings any more consideration now than they gave me while I was growing up."

For anyone who, having problems with Spoiled's attitude or behavior, wondered just how a mare could get that way, that little glimpse into her early home life was about as good an explanation as they were likely to get, straight from the horse's mouth.

Tarot would rub a hoof to her head. "I see," before she would re-stack her deck of cards. "I guess it is true. You can choose your friends. You can't choose your family....though it appears that is exactly what you are trying to do, isn't it." She'd raise an eyebrow as she would pull the top card off and fling it at Spoiled. It would land face up just in front of her. It was a card that was not in a normal deck. It showed Somnambula and the Sphinx. "This will be the final nail in the coffin between Diamond and yourself should you choose it. Vous avez obtenu ce que vous vouliez mais vous avez perdu ce que vous aviez. You get what ya wanted, but lose what ya had." She'd sigh, leaning back into her chair. "I swear, all Equestria would be happier if everypony was a changeling." Tarot would begin to laugh manaicly. "And to think, all my happieness cost me was my soul," as her laugh would change in tone to a more joking tone.

"Did you ever think your family chose your name based on the life you would lead? I often wonder how our parents seem to know what our talents will be when naming us. Now then," she'd say, standing and walking toward the foyer once more. "I can only hope for your sake that you and your parents can make amends. Guilt is a two way street you know......"

image.png

It was quite true what Tarot was saying.  Spoiled Rich wanted to choose her family to fit her ambitions.  She had always wanted that; her driving ambition took pride of place in her heart.  It wasn't that she didn't love, or at least hadn't loved, Filthy and Diamond, but what she most wanted to get them was a place beside her once she reached a position equal to her self-estimation.  Failing that, she had at least wanted to push Diamond Tiara up to the top of society.  But when her daughter spurned her ambitions for her...

She wanted another.  And there was only one way now she could get what she wanted.  The sphinx on the card didn't even rouse her suspicion; for all she knew that was a regular part of the deck.  "A trade of all one has... for all one could ever want." Spoiled looked up at the ceiling thoughtfully, before saying, "I'm trying to find the catch, but I'm not seeing it.  It's just an expensive but profitable trade."  Thus a mare decided to toss her origins and prior life aside.

The mere suggestion that her parents could share in some prophetic powers elicited only a snort from her.  "I hardly think my destiny lies in their expectations.  Had they shown a little more faith and affection, perhaps I would have been more content in their world."  She stood up, frowning thoughtfully.  "Well, no need to rush, I suppose... but if I do what I want, I'm not sure they would ever understand, no matter what I say or how I behave when they visit."

Tarot would sigh deeply. Spoiled had made up her mind, or perhaps even had it made up before they even met. "The catch? THE CATCH?" She'd say before lowing her voice back down. "Starting over may not be as simple as it seems. Have you done your research on this new life of yours? It may seem like a dream now, but wait until the hardships, and there WILL be hardships." She rolled her eyes before continuing. "Not even alicorns have the perfect life you seek." Scoffing, she'd levitate Spoiled an old golden mirror. In it, Spoiled would be able to see her 'new' self, as Sphinx kittens ran amuck in the background. "Tarot would laugh. "I hope your ready for many litters of little ones."

"Now then," as Tarot would look her dead in the eye. "There is the matter of my fee..." She'd chuckle. "1,000 bits. I mere inconvenience for somepony, somesphinx of your standing." as she'd laugh, her eyes glowing a soft green."

image.png

It was true enough, perhaps, that Spoiled's decision was pre-made.  And really, what was the talk about hardships supposed to do?  What did Tarot think her life had now, if not the hardships of scarcely existent family?

Perhaps this source of discontent is why the mirror may not have left the intended impression upon Mayor Rich's mind.  What she saw there was a magnificent beast, a matriarch of many, any of which could and one of which would grow up to be the queen that Diamond Tiara didn't seem to want to be.  The attempted lesson only made her sigh wistfully, and reinforce her convictions.  "Having more is one of the reasons I desire this change.  Filthy certainly won't give me any more foals..."

Sweeping the curtain back down with her hooves, she stared the fortune teller dead in those glowing green eyes.  And they were glowing, of that she was certain now!  "Extortion,"  She said, cooly, "As well as price discrimination, are valid reasons to revoke a business license."

• Aubergine 1

Tarot would raise an eyebrow. "Oh. Perhaps I did forget the SHOW to go along with reading." She'd give a crooked smirk. "Tell ya what... Let's make our own little deal...and by the way, that was the discounted rate. Since you are sooo gun ho about leaving your life in Ponyville behind, why don't I give you a preview of what your family would be like without you!" as she gave a menacing laugh. "On the house."

A dark shadow would envelop the whole room. The only light coming from Tarot's glowing green eyes, as well as her horn as the crystal ball would flash. Filthy would be shown sitting at his desk, going over a few basics of business. The room would pan around to show a new portrait of the Rich family, without Spoiled. Their facial expression was that of natural happiness, unlike the old one that hung there....with forced smiled. Next to it hug a degree from a prestigious university with Diamond's name on it. Next to it was a certificate from the Ponyville 4-H club. "Seems they are doing alright in your absence. But wait, what's this?" 

Filthy's secretary would enter the room and give him a letter. He'd smile as she left. Opening it, he'd read it aloud. The image on the crystal ball would rotate to be behind him so the letter could be seen. "Dear Dad, I'm having a great visit on the farm with grandma and grandpa. It's hard to believe that Mom never let me visit. I've had so much fun. Today a new caff was born. We named it after my mother. If you can, please send the attached photo to her. Love Diamond. Be home soon." 

The shadow would fade returning the room to normal. "Seems like the sooner you plan to break the news to them, the better. Oh, by the way, when is your term up as mayor? I'm pretty sure there is something in your oath about your resignation? I hope your deputy mayor is up to the task."

image.png

Okay... now Tarot's behavior was really starting to get on Spoiled's nerves.  Unreasonable overcharges, tasteless laughing, and as for this little 'on the house show'...

The mayor watched through the whole thing with a flat expression, giving the the fortune-teller mare a look that would have pickled a ripe watermelon.  "I don't know what that was all about; it had the air of something our resident princess would contrive to persuade a pony to change their ways, though I'm hanged if I can tell what that was supposed to show me, except that perhaps I'm making the right decision."  It seemed that she wasn't in the mood to be rebuked from her current course of action right now, and this whole experience was just the sort of thing that would motivate some retaliatory red tape in giving the license Tarot had just signed for.  Petty, perhaps, but mares in this town had to realize just what consquences upcharging city officials just because you thought they could afford it would being!

Nevertheless, she did not lose her temper, just becoming frostily polite as she took her leave.  Which, as Tarot might be able to tell, meant that nerves had been struck for Spoiled.  "In any case, it was so delightful to welcome you back to town once again, madame.  I trust that your future enterprise here will meet with the success that it deserves."

• Like 1