Why Rarity tolerates better Rainbow Dash than Appjack?

Bright Glow

I belive this topic fits here but if not than please move it for me.

I wonder a while why is that Raity gets a log quite well with Rainbow Dash while she rather just tolerate in some points Applejack while both Applejack and Rainbow Dash are tomcolt ponies who are don't mind to be dirty and open up their mind and tell the others their opinian.

I don't remember from the first season any times when Rarity and Rainbow Dash would really arguing even in the Swarm of the century Rainbow Dash was just complaining because of the dress Rarity gave you but they didnt argue in the other hoof we know well from the Look befor you sleep that Rarity doesn't like Applejack's personality and they can arguing easily even if they accepted eachother more eachother in the end of the episode.

We haven't gotten an episode focusing on both Rarity and Rainbow Dash (except maybe Sonic Rainboom, but that was mostly Rainbow's episode). You could say Rarity gets along with Applejack as decently as Rainbow if we ignored Look Before You Sleep.

A theoretical episode with RariDash might suddenly have them tolerate each other much less for that one episode. Or maybe they get along really well.

Either way, who knows.

hi hi

Rainbow Dash and Rarity seem to get along pretty well, we even see Rarity fitting Dash with fancy outfits in Swarm of the Century. Even though Dash didn't like having to sit still, she puts up with it. I think the big difference is that Rainbow Dash is a very easy going, live and let live kind of pony. Applejack on the other hoof expects more out of anypony.

It's because there are certain feelings present between the two... I ship RariDash. ;)

More seriously though, I think part of it might be that Rarity can relate to Dash better. They have a lot more in common personality wise. They're both very driven and focused on proving themselves (Rarity is always trying to impress ponies in the fashion world with her styles, Dash is always trying to impress the Wonderbolts with her flying). They're also both the type who at first glance seem more focused on themselves but are in truth wonderfully dedicated to their friends. It's comparatively harder for her to relate to Applejack, with whom she has a little less in common.

Rarity doesn't actually have a problem with ponies who don't want to be "ladylike". Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie aren't particularly ladylike either, and Rarity gets on with them just fine. Also, Rainbow Dash doesn't actually reject feminine culture, she just doesn't have the patience to spend much time on it. Look at Rainbow Dash and Applejack in "Suited for Success", particularly the first bit. Rainbow Dash thinks that a fashion show will be fun, whereas Applejack is determined to attend the highest society event in Equestria in her work clothes.

Applejack's lifestyle generally makes her more rough and unkempt than Rainbow Dashs's, because she's got a whole farm to think about and simply can't take any time for the little things. There's also the physical fact that Rainbow Dash's profession doesn't get her nearly as dirty as Applejack's, since clouds don't leave any mess.

That being said, we really haven't seen any antagonism between Applejack and Rarity since "Look Before You Sleep", and in my opinion, Applejack letting the cost of the apple fritters slide at the Gala was one of the most touching points of that episode. I think they get on alright now, and are aware of each other's limits.

• Like 1

More seriously though, I think part of it might be that Rarity can relate to Dash better. They have a lot more in common personality wise. They're both very driven and focused on proving themselves

I think Phil hit the nail right on the head. They are competitive and late losing, but their areas of interest are completely different so instead of being rivals, they better suited than any other Mane6 character to truly appreciate the drive and competitive spirit they see in each other.

I see this a lot IRL and I've made friends this way :D

Rainbow Dash has too little self confidence to really stand up for herself. Rarity can push her around a lot easier, because Rainbow is scared of losing her friends.

This. Rarity and Applejack are both too stubborn to give up on the other claims, no such problem with Dash.

It's because there are certain feelings present between the two... I ship RariDash. ;-)

IMO it would be a problematic shipping; Rarity being somewhat passive aggressive she would boss around the not so confident Dash.

Dash would rather need a cheerful reassuring pony (Pinky) or one who would let her being the dominant in the couple so she can become more confident (Fluttershy).

As for Rarity, she would need a strong headed partner to not succumb to her every whims. So Twilight, Big Mac, Applejack would be decent candidates. Poor Spike definitely can't compete.

More seriously though, I think part of it might be that Rarity can relate to Dash better. They have a lot more in common personality wise. They're both very driven and focused on proving themselves (Rarity is always trying to impress ponies in the fashion world with her styles, Dash is always trying to impress the Wonderbolts with her flying). They're also both the type who at first glance seem more focused on themselves but are in truth wonderfully dedicated to their friends. It's comparatively harder for her to relate to Applejack, with whom she has a little less in common.

More like that indeed. Same drive in differents fields of interest.

IMO it would be a problematic shipping; Rarity being somewhat passive aggressive she would boss around the not so confident Dash.

Dash would rather need a cheerful reassuring pony (Pinky) or one who would let her being the dominant in the couple so she can become more confident (Fluttershy).

As for Rarity, she would need a strong headed partner to not succumb to her every whims. So Twilight, Big Mac, Applejack would be decent candidates. Poor Spike definitely can't compete.

Yeah. I'll just have to strongly disagree. Have to defend my favorite ship.

Pinkie is okay, for Dash, but Fluttershy is the worst possible match. I just have never understood that pairing. Dash is really kind of a jerk to Fluttershy. I can see Fluttershy maybe caring for Dash in spite of that, but I just don't think Dash would be good to her. Fluttershy needs emotional support and somepony she can talk to easily, not somepony who is shown to have almost zero patience for her. Which is why Applejack is easily the best option for Fluttershy (followed by Twilight and then maybe Rarity).

As for Dash, I actually don't think she should be dominant in the couple. She needs somepony who has some measure of control over her, I think. That's exactly why Rarity is perfect. Dash isn't unconfident in most cases; only does she become unconfident when it involves the possibility of failure, and not really ever when it comes to her relationships. She seems to have almost too much confidence everywhere else. I think it's good if she has somepony on more equal footing that can keep her confidence in check while encouraging her. Rarity is perfect for that (though admittedly AJ works there too, which is why I also like AppleDash sometimes).

Plus their colors just look good together. :)

I don't think Dash is confident at all any field, she just brags which is typical of insecurity. Even in the athletic field, her best asset, she still doubt of her performances (to the point she cheats). Dash needs to become more confident to stop being a jerk, not to be controlled. Meaning she needs responsabilities rather than being in a role in which she would be made childish.

In my views Twilight (only toward other ponies, not toward Celestia) and Applejack are the confident/stubborn ponies of the show, Dash and Fluttershy the insecure ones and Rarity / Pinkie Pie are more neutral, the cast is balanced to obtain the better identification possible, to appeal to the wider public possible.

Fluttershy and Applejack are too close to friend zone to pair correctly in my opinion, same problem as Applejack / Dash. Frankly if you want to defend Fluttershy interests she can hardly pair with anypony because she is ignored / bossed around / in friend zone of the 5 other mares. Except Big Mac I can't think of any decent pairing for her and considering they both aren't so talkative, not an easy job to make an encounter possible. With Zecora perhaps.

Anyway If we disregard any kind of overthinked analytical stuff any pony is good to ship with another. Even considering they are anthropomorphized they are still cartoon ponies after all, not everything is inevitably transposable; I just like to speculate that way.

Though technically Zecora is not a pony I still include her in the lot. I think more and more Zecora / Fluttershy would be a great shipping.

By the way I wonder if Zecora is not the only important character of the show without any apparent flaw.

Hmm. Zecora's apparent obsession with always rhyming her words leads her to not always explaining things clearly. That's a character flaw, I think.

I'm sure she has more flaws too. We really don't spend much time with her.

Yup that's unfortunate, I really like her character. Her rhymes can't define as a personality flaw though so I'm still curious to see what they have in store for her if she makes more frequent apparitions. At the moment she is kinda the Obi-wan Kenobi of the show, perhaps she has a mysterious past explaining why she quit her land.