Metal Maker- [FINAL]

jim

Name:Metal maker

Sex: Male

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color: Light brown,

Mane/Tail/Markings Color Style:chestnut brown , worn loose and untidy, black cutie mark

Eye Color: Green

Cutie Mark: Interlocked Horseshoes

Physique: Large and muscular

Origin: Whitetail Hollows ( a suburb of the Whitetail Woods where annual running of the leaves takes place)

Roleplay Type: Mane RP/ Cross over

Motivation: Likes to work with metal and create new things and meet new people.

Likes: (optional) stories, making new friends, friendly conversation, his work, learning new things in libraries and sharing tales of the road.

Dislikes: (optional) ponies being bullied, angry ponies, Snow and rain when on the trail

Character Summary:

Metal Maker was the oldest of three siblings. His grandfather, wanted names that related to blacksmithing, so the boys were names Metal Maker, Anvil Beater, and Steel Striker.

Metal Maker had learned early that being bigger did not give one the right to bully others. He was of a kind disposition, unless provoked. He had taught this to both his brothers with some talking to and good example. he learned to respect others and disliked bullying of any kind He was like a second father to this younger brothers and it was a growing experience for him in self sufficency.

He learned blacksmithing from his father and grandfather who worked a shop in Whitetail Hollow, making everything from horseshoes to hinges, plows to barrel hoops, parts for wagon bodies and anything else needed. Metal Monger showed a particular talent with making and fitting horseshoes so that became his main job..One day, while still a young colt, he custom fitted a set of shoes to a customer. The pony was so impressed, he gave the pony 2 extra bits as a tip. This moment decided that he would make horseshoeing his specialty. There was a twinge on his rear flanks and his cutie mark of interlocked horseshoes confirmed his decision and his destiny.

Knowing that there wasn't enough work for more than one full time blacksmith ( His grandfather was retiring), all three of the boys decided to travel to different parts of Equestria. While Anvil beater and Steelstriker headed for areas around Appalossa and Rockingham, Metal Maker preferred the quieter life of small towns and set off in the region of Ponyville and it's surrounding towns.

No country bumpkin, Metal maker was well educated and well read on many topics, he had had a childhood sweetheart, but her family moved away. Inconsolable, he decided to live life alone until he met the mare of his dreams.. As metal working was his passion, he poured his energies into learning such processes as soldering, brazing and welding through the use of his heatable horn and the uses and manipulation of copper, aluminum, and brass..

. He traveled with a caravan style wagon to carry his tools and stock and sleep inside when weather was foul. He had all he needed, except a forge. That was where his talent of heating metal until molten with his horn came in handy. He also had a strap to hold his hammer on his fore leg to beat items to shape. Travel on the road was not easy however. he did get lonely and there was the danger of robbers and vandals. Having dealt with a few of them rather severely, however, word quickly spread to let him be.

Coming into a town, though, was wonderful. He looked forward to a drink at the local tavern or even a simple cup of tea at a friends house, like the local Nut families. and the chance to swap stories. He was well liked and courteous to all and his business was quite successful. Finding the name Metal Maker to be a bit tongue twisting, he had everyone call him Double M

He knew everyone's name, but was not friends with any of the mane characters except as customers. He used their names as part of good salesmanship. His reputation as an excellent blacksmith.preceded him as he worked a form of loose circuit around the towns.

Long term plans: He hoped to someday settle down and open a regular shop in one of the local towns, perhaps find a unicorn mare who loved him and possibly raise a family.though his kids would pick their own future careers.

Well this is looking really good so far LB :)

His background is nice and deep, with plenty of plot hooks without being too angsty. Personality wise, apart from his self imposed segregation, he doesn’t seem to have much in the way of flaws, though that’s not really an imperative.

I think the only part that kinda stuck me is his name. It feels... eh, je ne se qua. Overly humanised I suppose is the word I’m looking for, whereas ponies tend to be named either after objects, habits or metaphors. To be honest I’m not sure how large of a problem that would be, you’d have to ask the help staff for an opinion.

Oh! And you might want to merge the ‘color: Black’ with his cutie mark description, rather than having it separate ^^,

Other than a dashing of grammatical errors, he’s looking almost ready :D Hopefully our friendly neighbourhood helpstaff will be along to poke and prod XD

CherryRie:

I took some of your advice and have changed the name to Josh Sparks. I shall also include the cutie mark color into the main description.

Thought of other names but blacksmiths are usually just called Jim, Biil or Josh. He is nothing special, but a good "fit in" character. Traveling solves the problem of a home town and gives he a reason to hang around ponyville yet be a part of crossover RPS.

Reading the app, I am curious about one aspect of his life that I felt was passed over, that of his cutie mark. It was made clear that it is involvement in the family trade that earned him the mark, but from what we have seen in the show, the actual appearance corresponds with some revelation or special particular moment in a young pony's life. I think it would help add to the character if we heard about that moment,herself something particular about smiting he especially enjoys.

My only concern is the name, we strongly shy from "human sounding" names unless they have some sort of meaning or another word for what they do. Take Trixie for example, which is a play of "tricksey", itself a play on the word trickster based on the idea she is an illusionist magician. Big Sparks by itself would be an excellent name for him.