Scarlett [final]

Parker_Izing

Name: Scarlett "Steam" (cannot edit title, I assume the name is now Scarlett)

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn Pony

Pelt Color: Light Gray (Silvery)

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Mane and tail are two tone yellow (Blonde) average length, got three (3) dark freckles aside her eyes, Green gold bracelets.

Eye Color: Pale Blue

Cutie Mark: Steam engine.

Build: taller than a normal pony, Thin complexion.

Origin: Born in Hoffenheim Living in Canterlot.

Roleplay Type: Equestria crossover

Occupation: Engineer, designer and public relations on Steam carriage construction sector.

Motivation: Engineering, developing the new Steam technology to build a better life for everypony.

Likes: Milk chocolate, Oranges, dozing in a meadow, cold weather.

Dislikes: Strong Sunlight, sadness/tears, thunders, Summer.

Character Summary:She never was of the "Magicorn" kind, sure she can handle objects with magic, and perform some

parlor games, but her true thing, (for magic) is Self-levitation, that is, lifting herself up to the sky like a Pegasus for short distances, like Pegasi she can get tired, but can't sail, so air tireness could be painfull or worse...The good side, she can wear saddlebags while flying, but they can reduce her endurance if overloaded. That and walking in clouds closes magic department.

Born in the city of Hoffenheim with a silver spoon conveniently on her mouth, she done the odd thing, (for her class) build herself in a trusty And dependable mare instead of just count on family's riches.

She attended on both School and College swiftly ignoring "Ze Magiks" beyond basic object manipulation, but magic didn't ignore her, coming self-levitation naturally, As a filly in Canterlot she seen and visited Cloudsdale, were she knew a Pegasus foal interested in engineery and together they made the first self propelling carriage joining a steam machine to an old wagon. Getting both their Cutie marks in the process.

Personality wise, she holds herself on high esteem, falling on a noticeable ego centrism from time to time, she's not shy, but normally avoids contact with other Ponies if not asked directly (point were manners outweigh self centering) one may say she got scalded out of breaking contact with childhood pals after her moving to canterlot, wanting to eventually go visit Hoffenheim to find youth friends. (heck, they ignore even her cutie mark)

mercedes1.png

Edited by Parker_Izing
Fixed the title

Okay, glancing over this application, I can't help but feel like there's a couple of glaring problems that need to be addressed regarding her abilities, and just how unbalanced they are in regards to their pros, cons and overall usage.

Parts in bold are the issues I'm currently a little uncertain about - however, I DO encourage you to post your perspectives and thoughts on them.

Motivation: She never was of the "Magicorn" kind, sure she can handle objects with magic, and perform some

parlor games, but her true thing, is Self-Telekinesis, that is, lifting herself up to the sky like a Pegasus, or with more ease

walk over small water bodies (she can limit her weight to the point of being sustained by 4 Cork filled slippers)

Okay, the main problem here is that there's way too much positive attributes being allocated to her talent - we've never seen any pony on the show actually self-levitate or control, and it seems that this ability sounds like it's far more suitable for a crossover application mostly because of how 'Over-Versatile' her power is and how it seems to be far more 'unbalanced' in her favour as a result with regards to any potential downsides.

In direct contrast to this seemingly unbalanced 'pro' in the application, the only {and seemingly negligable} Con is an apparent inability to walk on clouds. The ability to almost fly like a pegasus without any wings would give her all the 'walking' on clouds she needs...

I daresay that this isn't really even a factor as a negative drawback and will have barely any actual effect on her life as a result.

Never fear, however, because I'm going to offer some suggestions to see if we can't balance this out a little more!

- Self Levitation spell tends to last only a limited period - her overall non-use of generic other magic means she does not have a large deal of 'stamina' or the intense 'psychic' focus to hold her own altitude beyond certain heights without suffering the effects of nausea, headaches and suchlike. In addition, when self levitating, she is unable to lift anything else in the process - meaning all items she takes with her must be physically attached/stored in a sidesaddle securely.

- To be honest, I'm not really sure I'm overly seeing much of a huge need for the floatation spell with water...after all, if she can self levitate then why would she need to even touch the water at all? Essentially it appears that her full self levitation makes this almost not needed, so I actually think you're better off leaving this out.

- You can technically keep her original entire magical set by making her crossover only, which would undoubtably suit your own original vision of the character but it would limit her to not being able to take part in the Mane RP section.

Now, given that those are merely suggestions on how to balance out this application, do feel free to present forward any ideas you might have of your own, or why you feel that her original magical ability is fine as it is. We all want to see every pony being app'd getting a fair shake with our suggestions and comments, so please don't hesitate to put forward anything that you feel might work better for you instead!

I look forward to seeing just what choice you take and how this app works out in the end!

Ok, the water part was just to suit her Cutie Mark, Anyways she just can fly over water bodies, so we can take out that.

- Self Levitation spell tends to last only a limited period - That sounds good, let's say she just can fly for some minutes, an hour max (like a not usually flying Pegasus more in the league of Fluttershy) Spell would be phisically intensive and if overused would produce fainting. Then her Special Talent can be self levitation, to a point...

The downpoint I originally gave her was the inability to perform most Unicorn magic, I through that being enough.

Waiting more comment before editing character description.

This is an interesting app but I have a few comments,

Name & Cutie mark: I understand that you're trying to reference the car company with this theme but cars simply don't exist in Equestria. As an actual name, Mercedes refers to the virgin mary and isn't very pony-like. If you'd like to keep the Mercedes-Benz logo as her cutie mark we're going to need a setting appropriate explanation as to why this symbol is her cutie mark.

Origin: HockEnheim isn't a city in our Mane RP setting, however if you'd like to design and build it yourself you can make a thread in the proposed lore section. If you decide to go this route please keep in mind that lore acceptance isn't a quick process and not all user lore becomes board canon. Unless you have a specific reason for using the city of HockEnheim, the quickest fix would be to choose a city that already exists in our board lore.

Motivation: I'm having trouble understanding how levitating herself could be her motivation in life? Since she is an engineer maybe her motivation could be to design and build things?

Character Summary: I'd like to see more information here, some topics that should be discussed in a character summary are

Character Summary:

Anything else you would like to say about your character!

Here are a few things this section should contain, as well as anything and everything else about your character:

History – Where were they born and how did they spend their early life?

Parents – Who are they, and what did they do? Where are they now, how often do they see their child, are they proud of them? Things like that.

Cutie Mark Story – What is your pony's Cutie Mark? When/how did they get it? What does it mean to them? What does it mean to other ponies?

Flaws – Where in life has your pony failed (or succeeded)? How have those events made them stronger, how did they overcome those points when they messed up? How do they feel about them today? How have those times changed them as a pony?

- RC

HockEnheim, was a self baked name, well, if the map I seen in this place is somewhat RP canon, can be Hoffenheim (already a Ponified name for same place)

If Mercedes is not OK the pun after the cutie mark loses sense, so I'd replace both, Gimme some time.

If steam engineering is canon, well steam self propelling road vehicles existed since 18 century, Her family Bussiness can build self propelling steam carriages.

EDIT : I just updated the first post with latest and with hope, last changes (quite of a jerk was I labeling this as "final")

• 2 weeks later...

Eeyup, I'm waiting any comments or approval, since I corrected all the pointed flaws, but I'm afraid that poor Scarlett felt on Developing Heck, or limbo... Perphars because I failed/forgot to tag it correctly, now the title, sports no tag, but I'd swear I added, or tried to add one... I am still interested, but not saying anything for not paraspriting or nagging the crew.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I know a plenty of steam mechanics, Watt regulators, single expansion, double, triple... Single and double action machines, steam turbines, Bernoulli principles applied to Tesla turbines, the single chamber and Stephenson boilers, regulator mechanics, boiler plumbing and riveting, principles of basic machines (Lever, wheel and axle, sloped plane, pulley, wedge, screw....)

P.S. Bernoulli like Pinkie knew the principles after a flying machine, and like Pinkie ended dressed like a chicken.

Also, added some personality bits.

• 2 weeks later...

This app is potentially a world-building character, so I think we're going to have to work closely with it to make it work out.

The first concern that I have is that this pony is in Canterlot with steam engines. The problem with this, is that given that it's Canterlot, and it's the home of the Princesses and is likely to be a very clean place, only clean steam engines (Alcohol or Geothermal perhaps, Geothermal is very unlikely because of their height) and very small ones would likely be built here. Like toys. So I would project either having a general home somewhere else for any larger projects. Perhaps Fillydelphia or even Manehattan?

There's also fully anaerobic steam generation.

"Ictineo II's anaerobic engine, which produced gaseous oxygen as a byproduct" working on magnesium, zinc and potassium. Hardly a contaminant oxygen isn't it? (quoted wikipedia)

I'd like to let her stay in Canterlot, because is the only location high enough to allow her to reach Cloudsdale with her limited fly ability... (A quoted point on her bios) unless she used a steam powered flying machine...