Dynamic Entry! A Fox arrives

Stainless Steel Fox

About myself.: Stainless Steel Fox here! Well in Liverpool of the England type. I am in my (very) late 30's and a computer wrangler by day.

How did you hear about Canterlot.com?: I don't honestly remember. Equestria Daily possibly.

How did you became a fan of FiM?: Saw webcomic writers refer to it, went 'huh, might be good for a lauigh' one sunday afternoon. 7 hours and 17 episodes later, I was a brony.

My one favourite main cast pony?: Twilight Sparkle

I tried to leave the favorite main cast pony blank. That's because I love them all, and wouldn't want to choose one over the others. But it insistedi choose one. I love Twilight Sparkle for her earnestness, and nerdy but awesome competence. Likewise I love Applejack for her forthright attitude and work ethic. Fluttershy is adorable, when she isn't pulling out her awesome and beating dragoins over the head with it, Rainbow Dash is a top gun in my book, I can overlook her brashness and sometimes jerkass moments for when she pulls out the loyalty and defiant courage. Pinkie Pie is just so much fun, and full of whacky antics, and Rarity makes even finding lost plates dramatic, besides awing me with her artistic skill and her selfless generosity. Asking me to choose one is like asking which finger I want to keep when you chop the rest of my hand off.

So, I am a long time fan of cartoons, and anime, and furry cartoons particularly. Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Sonic Sat AM, Swat Kats, I loved 'em all. Anybody doing the maths, yes, just because I went to uni didn't mean I stopped loving cartoons. If any group could understand that, I think this one could.

I am also a roleplayer, mainly with dice and paper, both as player and GM. I'm playing in one long running Live Action Role Play (LARP), This also lets out my inner cosplayer, I love dressing up and acting. I've played Zelgadis from Slayers, the Dread Pirate Roberts, No Face from Spirited Away, and Fox McCloud amongst others.

And yes, I am a furry (waits for the insta-hate to descend, even on a pony forum where love and tolerance should be the order of the day.) I don't think furrys ruin MLP fandom, (well I wouldn't of course). Not going to rant about this, not here, just check my fanfiction resume to see if you find anything the slightest bit objectionable, especially my MLP fanfiction.

Apart from Fox McCloud, I have two other fursuits, an OC samurai rabbit Shirogane Usagi, and my titular avatar Andrew Eisenfox, the Stainless Steel Fox, These are used for conventions, both furry and sci-fi, fancy dress parties, fursuit walks (where a group of fursuiters meet up and walk around a city centre or somewhere to show off their costumes) and _nothing else_.

I'm looking forward to playing here, and have some ideas for pony characters. One thing I noticed in the breifings, that electricity exists for basic, 19th century applications, but not for radio communications (there's been no pony Maxwell) or anything requiring a power grid. I was actually harsher in my ideas, that electricity doesn't exist as a technology.

All the devices we see in the show that we'd power with electicity (fans, food mixers, turnrtables, power tools and instant lighting) are actually magical items, using motion, sound or light spells inscibed in themby a unicorn artiisan with their horn. It's easy enough to do that the price is more comparable to our current ones, rather than being expensive enough to be restricted to the nobility and rich.

If we assume that they power themselves of ambient magic, we get an explanation for the lack of power cords, and if we also assume that the ambient magic flow is limited, we can explain why there are no larger machines, such as self powered vehicles (ambient magic won't sustain them). The limit would probably be the beanie propellor helicopter Tank uses (spoiler for latest episode.)

That's why chariots are pegasi pulled (they draw their levitation spell power from the pegasus pulling them), and the only large vehicles are steam engines. Obviously, steam power is in it's infancy and unreliable (which is why the steam train in 'Over a Barrel' broke down half way and had to be towed the rest of the way).

Since at least on eof my character ideas involves an artisan, it's kind of important that I figure out the rules here. Would the sort of thaumo-tech I'm describing be a valid concept here?

Hiya,

Welcome to Canterlot!

You may be in the lead for the longest introduction given (that's actually relevant to the point of the introduction) :blush:

You've 2 posts to go before released into the wild!

And yes, I am a furry (waits for the insta-hate to descend, even on a pony forum where love and tolerance should be the order of the day.) I don't think furrys ruin MLP fandom, (well I wouldn't of course). Not going to rant about this, not here, just check my fanfiction resume to see if you find anything the slightest bit objectionable, especially my MLP fanfiction.

Most of the staff here are furs, so I wouldn't expect much hate in this community.

Heck, you'll even find me at the regular London Fur Meets.

- Artax

Equine fursuit builder.

Hello!

I'm MyLittlePonyTales, but I just go by Tales around here. I'm one of the many great staff here at Canterlot. Please feel free to message any of us with any questions or concerns you have, or you can just leave another comment here!

If you didn't already, please take a moment to check out the rules section, just so that you're up to speed! :RDash:

You'll also need to make at least 3 comments anywhere in the Introductions section before you can post on other parts of the board.

A good place to go if you're looking to meet a lot of new Bronies is the Chat Room & live roleplay.

Welcome to Canterlot!

I'm glad to hear that my furriness isn't going to be a problem. I wouldn't be so defensive, but I've had bad experiences elsewhere. Even on youtube by supposed bronies in MLP clips. I'm glad to meet everyone, and hope I can contribute to this roleplaying site.

I still need a determination on my tech question though. I can write in the lighting and food mixers as electrical if that's the way the setting goes, but I'd still like the freedom to explore thaumo-tech.

A moderator may be able to give you a better answer than me, but:

• Technology must be simple. Simple machines only. Basic Steam Technology and mechanical tools. Remember, this is not our world, this is Equestria and the ponies fulfull many of the roles that we as humans have built machines to do.
  • Electricity is in its infancy. This means very basic lightbulbs, spotlights, and simple gag items. An advanced power grid is not possible in Mane RP. Simple power plants are okay (Windmill, Geothermal, Coal), but Advanced Power Plants or items that require them are not. Advanced would be Nuclear as an example, and items that require large amounts of constantly generated electricity are not.

That's from the rules, which I hope and assume you read. If you still have questions, perhaps you should create a topic in the "Questions & Suggestions" forum.

The part that may pertain to you question though is this:

ponies fulfull many of the roles that we as humans have built machines to do.

Many machines that we would require are simply performed by unicorn magic, or physically by Pegasus or earth ponies. Light bulbs and Spot lights are in the show, so I assume they are also allowed in RP. Food mixers are used by Pinkie Pie, and Sewing Machines are used by Rarity, so I can assume these are also allowed.

The best way to go about it is to place your thoughts in the show. If it fits, it may just well go by in the RP.

I haven't been here long though and these are all just assumptions. I'd either await one of the mods or something to clarify it, or create a thread in the "Questions" forum.

Thanks, I will do that. I have read all the guides and so forth, including the character creator one. In fact it was those two bullet points you highlighted that made me wonder. My own feeling is as you have said, 'many things that we would require a machine to do, they do by unicorn magic' (at least I assume that's what you meant), and that it extends to the devices themselves.

One of my charatcer ideas was a artisan earth pony called Charger who builds racing chariots, and is fascinated with flying. Cue crazy steampunk flying gizmos and contraptions.

But I think I'll stick to characters that don't really need that idea exploring. I have a couple, a pegasus pony colt Cloudius, and his sister the adopted griffin chick Clawey (pronounced Chloe) that should be excellent for exploring the boards. I'll write them up and punt them to the admissions board.