Young Griffons

Stainless Steel Fox

Just a short note, I'm working on a juvenile griffon character who's mentioned in my pegasus submission. I thought the conventional descriptions for juveniles sounded wierd and want to propose an alternative. Griffon foals, colts or fillies don't really sound right.

My proposed alternatives are:

Foal = Hatchling

Colt = Cub

Filly = Chick

I did consider foal as chick, but I think hatchling works better. All the references I could find agree that griffons do lay eggs, particularly the AD&D monster manual which I think Studio B must have used as their go-to reference for not so random encounters.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing is, since Griffons are NOT ponies, they don't have or need two names for their young. Lion cubs, for example, are simply called cubs--male or female doesn't matter. When they get older, then have lion and lioness. With eagles, babies are called eaglets or chicks, regardless of gender. In board canon, Griffons are not always half eagle and half lion (and because they're two different species to begin with), so it's kinda hard to decide which species to lean towards.

But, here's what was decided should be used:

Baby - Hatchling

Young - Chick

Grown up - Adult

• Like 1

Hatchling -> Chick -> Adult is how I've been thinking about it, too, with chick being for both genders.

As for how they're raised, I've been having fun with that. None of that 'roaming around on the ground until they learn to fly on their own' stuff. How do some actual birds teach their young to fly? :D Grab 'em, then toss 'em out of a high place! With as gruff as griffons seem to be, I figure that'd suit their philosophy. ...of course, there might be some debate on that method of training, I'd imagine. Maybe bring home live prey for dinner to teach hunting skills if they're old fashioned like that. Though, probably better to leave the end details of such things 'off screen' to keep from pushing the board rating. :blush: