Hidden meanings in Suited For Success?

Do you think Art of the Dress really had hidden meanings in it?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Art of the Dress really had hidden meanings in it?

• No
    • Yes

Fluttershy is the exec who believes they know more about the art of cartooning than the cartoonists do.

This could explain why Fluttershy refers to the fabric of her dress looking like toile.

This is toile:

soph-toile.jpg

It's possible that the voice actress/whoever proofed the script/auto-correct/blah blah blah just screwed up and meant tulle, the gauzy netting. Or it could have been a very very subtle jab. And it's very funny that she is asking for couture (which it OBVIOUSLY would be because Rarity is sewing it exactly for her, designed specifically to highlight her features) when it immediately becomes ready-to-wear as soon as Hoity Toity buys a dozen copies for his shop.

And then she's wearing the second iteration of the dress later in the photoshoots when she is a model. I am hoping that it wasn't the original rarity one, but a copy that Photo Finish grabbed from the boutique.

hi hi

Toile via Wikipedia

"A toile is a version of a garment made by a fashion designer or dressmaker to test a pattern. They are usually made in cheap material, as multiple toiles may be made in the process of perfecting a design. Toiles may be called "muslins," in the United States."

I believe what you are thinking of is Toile de Jouy which is sometimes shortened to just toile as well, but is obviously a different thing. Toile de Jouy originated in France in the late 18th century and literally means "cloth from Jouy-en-Josas," a town in north-central France.

Haute Couture is definitely a dress that is made for a specific individual, though when she says "True French Haute Couture," she's breaking the 4th wall a little bit and probably referencing a more specific style of dressmaking that is regulated by the French Department of Industry, who require twice yearly presentations of work to maintain accreditation.

hi hi

Toile via Wikipedia

"A toile is a version of a garment made by a fashion designer or dressmaker to test a pattern. They are usually made in cheap material, as multiple toiles may be made in the process of perfecting a design. Toiles may be called "muslins," in the United States."

I believe what you are thinking of is Toile de Jouy which is sometimes shortened to just toile as well, but is obviously a different thing. Toile de Jouy originated in France in the late 18th century and literally means "cloth from Jouy-en-Josas," a town in north-central France.

Haute Couture is definitely a dress that is made for a specific individual, though when she says "True French Haute Couture," she's breaking the 4th wall a little bit and probably referencing a more specific style of dressmaking that is regulated by the French Department of Industry, who require twice yearly presentations of work to maintain accreditation.

Tulle would be more appropriate for the breeziness of the dress (and she was specifically talking about the fabric, not the whole dress itself), and they do call them muslins here in the US. I haven't heard any of the folks i know who went to school for fashion call them anything but muslins. I think Fluttershy was just talking out of her ass because she thinks a blanket stitch would be appropriate as well.

hi hi

I suppose you could be right. I just figured that when she said "the fabric looks like toile," she meant that it looked like the kind of cheap material you use for a test pattern rather than a finished product.

Either way, SOMETHING was left out of the rant to make it just ever so slightly wrong. Gramatically or otherwise. And that makes it funnier.

Do you think maybe Fluttershy's just a TEENSY bit jealous that she doesn't have unicorn magic to sew with? Is that what fueled the rant? The knowledge but not the means by which to sew?

hi hi

I suppose you could be right. I just figured that when she said "the fabric looks like toile," she meant that it looked like the kind of cheap material you use for a test pattern rather than a finished product.

Either way, SOMETHING was left out of the rant to make it just ever so slightly wrong. Gramatically or otherwise. And that makes it funnier.

Do you think maybe Fluttershy's just a TEENSY bit jealous that she doesn't have unicorn magic to sew with? Is that what fueled the rant? The knowledge but not the means by which to sew?

The plot thickens...

I think that it's a possibility. It wouldn't be the first time something's gone by the radar with a hidden meaning. Not only in cartoons, but in other forms of media, it's very evident.

There's a theory that to make one thing pass the radar, something else has to happen before hand that's even more in-your-face/vile/OMG MUST BE CENSORED to catch the attention and lighten the blow of what they really want to get passed. I think the Animaniacs folks talked to Doug Walker (That Guy With the Glasses) about it in an interview he did not too long ago with them.

hi hi

Toile via Wikipedia

And every time I see 'Haute Couture' I keep thinking it says 'High Culture' or 'High Class' meaning a specific style or cut that is never meant to be repeated or look good on anyone else but whom the dress was specifically meant for, including some of the most ridiculous results which is kinda what they all ended up becoming by the fashion show. It's not meant to be understood, because if you understood it, you're not 'Haute Couture' enough. You never actually understand it, but you /act/ like you understand it, because that's the joke.

Haute Couture is a category of dressmaking that it's not a specific style and is is misused quite a lot (Juicy, I am looking at you). It is regulated, much as the term Champagne is regulated, to not deceive people about the quality of what is being made. But they do not regulate what style is being used, they just regulate WHO can use the term. It is considered an art and open to interpretation, but it definitely refers to the art of creating a dress specifically for an individual, out of the highest quality fabrics. Think of it as using that individual as a base to create a sculpture, even. And not just anyone is allowed to bandy the term around (but they do anyway).

She sketch she shows is rather Dior-like, or Chanel-like (elements of both, and seemingly very 80's come to think of it), and they is certainly French, and certainly have proper couture houses so maybe that is what she was referring to by. A specific designer's style that couldn't be named due to copyright constraints.

the sketch:

5664303929_344300caff.jpg

A somewhat older Dior couture dress that shares some elements (but is a little more geometric)

2mrz75u.jpg

There is one that is even more similar, but I can't find it again. I KNOW there is a source image they used as the basis of this and I saw it somewhere.

But there is no way that shapeless monstrosity that she ends up with could ever be considered high fashion. It looks like it came from the 90's. From K-mart. Or a clown store. Or an Oscar De La Renta runway show (oh BURN).

doyle_coutureforacause_2005_3_001.jpg

the sketch:

5664303929_344300caff.jpg

Not technically relevant, but the way she drew those feathers/spines on the dresses hat and back sort've look like the dragon's spikes from Dragonshy. :U Inspired much, Flutters?

Dragonshy2.png

*Pulls the thread train back on the tracks.*