THE Pitch

weesh

You've got your friend's undivided attention in a relaxed setting, and they don't know you are a Brony.

The goal is to plug MLP in a few sentences in a way that will pique their interest, while giving it a fair and honest review.

What do you say?

I usually either show them this video:

or I'd say something along the lines of "more guys watch it than girls. they like it because it was made by the same people who made power puff girls and foster's home for imaginary friends."

and so far that's worked for me. I know that's not the only reason why people like it, but other reasons can be explained after they see it.

how sad is it that I'm a girl, but I have to explain to people that guys like it for it to seem normal for me?

How do you know that? That doesn't sound right...

based on many polls taken within the FiM comunity, I'd say that about 2/3rds of bronies are male. we have one somewhere on the site, and the 18+ males have a HUGE lead

I forced my little male cousin to watch a few episodes. I threatened him physical harm if he refused.

He loved every minute of it.

When introducing the show to a non-convert, I usually pitch it along the lines of "I'm really addicted to this amazing cartoon series..." and go from there.

based on many polls taken within the FiM comunity, I'd say that about 2/3rds of bronies are male. we have one somewhere on the site, and the 18+ males have a HUGE lead

That is a far cry from "more guys watch it that girls". That just means something closer to "of the top 2% most passionate fans, there are more guys than girls".

I forced my little male cousin to watch a few episodes. I threatened him physical harm if he refused.

He loved every minute of it.

When introducing the show to a non-convert, I usually pitch it along the lines of "I'm really addicted to this amazing cartoon series..." and go from there.

Good opening line. Where specifically do you go from there? I'm certainly not going to get anywhere trying to force a 35 year old to watch an episode.

That is a far cry from "more guys watch it that girls". That just means something closer to "of the top 2% most passionate fans, there are more guys than girls".

mm, that's just Angie simplifying things. I should probably say something like "most of the true fans are males", but in real life I would never say it that way XD it's just not the way I talk :P

Good opening line. Where specifically do you go from there? I'm certainly not going to get anywhere trying to force a 35 year old to watch an episode.

It depends on how the person I'm trying to convert responds. If they show interest I'll tell them about entertaining the series is, how popular it has become, who created it, its immense respect for quality, how well-designed the characters are...then I'll usually have them watch some clips on my phone (have all of the episodes converted on it!), usually the baked bads scene from Applebuck Season or the Pinkamina part from Party of One. If they really like it, we'll watch a whole episode or two and I can claim another soul for the herd.

Where do you get those numbers from, if I may ask? :P

Anyway, I do think it depends on who you try to sell it to, and you need to know your audience for a successful pitch. I made attempts to convert most of my nerdy friends, and mostly with brony video material. I was able to sucker one of my friends in like that, but that's pretty much it.

Depending on who it is, you can make detours to lead them there. For example, I greatly enjoy the likes of Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou, and from there it's not such a stretch to MLP FiM, actually. It feels like a natural extension to me. (I couldn't test this on others yet, since my two friends who converted me are also the only ones who share that obsession of mine.

Really, I don't think there is one universal, undeniable pitch. It has to be tailored to the recipient.

Where do you get those numbers from, if I may ask? :P

I made it up on the spot to convey my feelings that hyperbole has a better feel to it than the other statement.

For example, I greatly enjoy the likes of Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou, and from there it's not such a stretch to MLP FiM, actually. It feels like a natural extension to me.

Emphasis mine.

That is actually a powerful an applicable argument to this particular friend.

Step one: Mention one or all of the following= "The Iron Giant." "Powerpuff Girls" "Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends"

Step two: Gauge their reactions to one or all of these. if they liked these shows, move to step 3, if not, move to step 3 at your own discretion.

Step three: Ask if they like 'family entertainment' or cartoons. If they say yes, move to step 4. if they say no, do not move on. if they seem uncertain, move forward at own discretion (however if they were also in the middle ground of step 2, it is best to not move on, unless they seem curious about your questioning)

Step four: If they said Yes to both step 2 and 3, you might be able to move on to step 5, but it might be better to stay at step 4, especially if they arent certain. Find something that they enjoy, and find a fan made video based off it. (Maybe they enjoy another show, a game, type of music, etc. theres probably something you can use. if anything, show them the scene of Fluttershy breaking the bears neck, that always seems to get people interested)

Step five, show them an episode, preferably not the first two, find another one...

Step six, If they seem interested, continue to show them. if not, dont force it on them.

I think those are kinda how i planned it out...

People around me think I'm some sort of excentric. So they're not actually surprised (well, not much) when I say I like my little pony. It's very useful for me ! I managed to convert a friend by just saying, hey this is a great show, would you like to watch an episode inbetween two doctor who episodes ?

I think it only works for me though.

I usually either show them this video:

where does my video keep disappearing to?

EDIT: wait, it's back again... must just be something acting up... :P

Ok, I totally missed that the first time around. Has that ever worked? I mean, it is entertaining, silly and high quality, but do you have to be a fan to appreciate it?

it worked twice for me :3 they didn't end up becoming a fan, but they understood why I was one