How fun IS it to RP?

MrSpiderman

Without getting myself caught in any sort of crossfire here...

I myself find RP to be enjoyable. It's always a sort of 'what-if' kind of deal for me. You don't know what's going to happen, and how the story will unfold.

That being said, I tend to enjoy smaller, more private RP's. I find that the more people there are, the more chaotic it is (unless it's been structured). As long as it's literate, plot-driven, and small numbered, I'll most likely have a blast.

Roleplaying was my first hobby to be honest, it was a way to interact with exciting places and characters, like living through a movie! It kept my mind sharp and the creativity flowing. I love it because you can explore so much about a person in it , how they react to things, what keeps them going.

And Roleplaying helped me through school because the drive to write bigger and better posts drove me to always write bigger and better reports so thanks to Roleplaying I always got A's in creative courses/ history reports.

So much TL;DR. (I actually didn't read because I'm not interested in the subjective view points that are contradictory between members. I just wanted to know individuals viewpoints) I read all of the responses directly to me. Thanks for your input.

Individual viewpoints are subjective by their nature. :D

This is your thread, and your question. Most of the responses are directed at you already. I did read all of them.

RPing for me is just another form of entertainment. We have books, TV, movies and video games, and for me RPing is part of that circle. I can respect those who put a lot of effort into an RP, making it epic befitting a novel, and even respect those who think its a waste of time. I've had my fair share of bashings during high school and college for being a D&D (Dungeons and Dragons, another form of RPing) player and DM from people who think its a waste of time. In the end, its just entertainment. In the end, its no different than TV, movies or video games. So I don't quite get when people say that its a waste of time... I mean, almost everyone watches TV and movies, is that a waste of time too?

That's what I think at least...

Love and tolerate!

Anywho, I have no problem with role playing. It makes people happy, and is about as harmful as going on tv tropes or wikipedia.

Actually... its probably less addictive...

I personally have never RPed (but i have a mild intrest in doing so.), So as to how fun it is I am probably a bad source.

Mal I sent ya a PM!

Ooo. Pm-ish!

Sorry, man, it's great that you were not offended by it, but it did sound like a gross generalization, and I don't appreciate that.

Heheh. I only teasin'. I'm used to being a generalization IRL anyway. X)

So much TL;DR. (I actually didn't read because I'm not interested in the subjective view points that are contradictory between members. I just wanted to know individuals viewpoints) I read all of the responses directly to me. Thanks for your input.

Sorry, bud. That's something that will come into play in any topic where you ask an opinion. There will always be one or two dudes who gotta' emphasize that not only is their opinion different- everyone else's is wrong. ~^

I'm sorry to have been AFK for the last 9 hours...

And when you look back to what you wrote, don't you see how that could sound offensive to people?

Then you're good. ^^ Biggest issue of teh internets is that it's impossible to figure someone's emotions, a lot of the time. To a lot of us, it just sounded like you were trolling.

I do see how it looked offensive and trollish. I regret the ambiguity.

...and don't try to stop people from trying it if they haven't...

I will give anyone who asks a bad review of the activity as surely as I would give bad reviews about the books and movies that I hate.

The year that I RPed was an influential part of a year that has defined much of who I am today. It is part of my story. In order to know me, you need to know about that year. I have thus even told a handful of my friends who didn't ask about it.

Just sayin', it sorta' goes hand in hand with another conversation I was having not long ago. There's a line 'tween common courtesy and intellectual loopholes. Call it what you will, here's the barebones of it- You told someone who didn't even ask that RP sucked, and that they shouldn't try it? Sounds to me like you're just making their own decisions for them. ~^ That ain't very fair if they end up taking your advice and not even giving something a chance- when they could like it very much so.

That's all I'm gettin'. But I'ma stop replying here, as I think debates are just annoying the host. X)

It is basically just a way to realize things that are not possible in real life. You are only limited to the creativity of your mind, and your words can fully express anything you could imagine. As well, It gives people the power to immerse themselves in a fiction, or to simply humour themselves in the process of writing.

Yeah, if you like writing and are prepared to get into a little trial-and-error, go for it, broseph.

You can't take one person's opinion for it, or judge it based on one run-through you might've done. Similarly, you can't really judge an entire genre of music, writing or theatre because you saw one thing that might have been part of it!

The variety is massive, of course. Even on a site where it's all just about one setting, the variety is pretty huge.

If you like writing, it's great fun. Those that don't actually understand what the point of it is aren't actualy likely to know what they're talking about, since there isn't any particular goal for it. I mean, you don't go to play videogames so that you have something to show for it in the real world afterwards. You do it because it's fun.

It can give you something to think about, and can really help a budding writer learn how to write better, depending on the sceario and who you're playing with. It can be dramatic, comedic, introspective, philosophical... just like a book, there are any number of themes and genres that can apply! You do, of course, have to look for them, but they're there!

So, basically, if you're the type to enjoy reading and writing, yeah, definitely give it a try or three!