Embarrassment

SirShadowdeath

Okay. Here's an honest problem.

Everyone I know sees me as dark, evilish person.

A lot of people look up to me for writing and coding in real life, and in some places of the internet. In truth, I'm a bit embarrassed to be a fan of MLP. Or, I'm more afraid of publicly talking about it. Only my best friend and my sister know that I like the show. Everyone else is oblivious. It's a bit hard to completely keep it a secret, and I really havr no one to talk to about it besides the people on these communities online, which I love to go on. My question is, do you have any stories of being embarrassed? How did you deal with it?

• Like 1

You may have to careful about it to be honest, I know people can overreact to such trivial things sometimes but I'm sure you know how narrow minded people can be unfortunately. I've seen alot of stories of embarrassment of getting found out or ones of people showing their friends and then they themselves turn out to be bronies or become them as well. It really depends on how well you know the people around you and if whether or not they are the open minded sort.

Well, as for your story, i can understand... Talking to a coworker about your interests and saying 'my little pony' can get some odd glances... And i dont have anyone in real life that i feel comfortable talking to about it...

As for me... I got a couple of embarrassing stories to tell....

I was at a family reunion with distant relatives i hardly knew. we were at a place with a bunch of log cabins really close to each other near a river. i went out with a couple people in the family to watch them fish, and i got bored, so i tried heading back... and walked into the wrong cabin... full of girls... and for a split second i didnt realize it... so yeah, that wasn't fun... i ended up waiting at the river for the others to finish.

Personally, I tend to not care about the people around me and their thoughts about me. I don't mind if they know I love the show and if they do wish to try and tease me or make fun of me about it, it's just words. It won't hurt you if you don't allow it too. But I do agree with trillie, you do need to be careful about people who are narrow minded. Some people just don't know how to deal with someone, especially a male, watching what they call a "girly" show. So, I just think it's a matter of opinion, but for me, I'm not ashamed of watching and loving the show and I am willing to tell anyone, real life or online, that I am a fan of the show.

It was a long and winding road that I'd rather not talk about, a lot of issues here and there that usually just end up depressing me. But, at the end of that road, I'm as proud as I can be to be who I am. The man who can abolish his shame, can abolish all that demoralizes. Yea, I like ponies. I also like polka. And if any of m' boys down at the brewery call me out about it, I'll smack 'em over the head with a length of lead pipe. X)

Case in point- embarrassment is normal. You really just gotta' choose whether or not you should acknowledge it. I used to be the snively little geeky kid who hid behind his locker door whenever some jock was coming down the hall- he usually rooted me out anyways and slapped me silly. Caused me to develop a drug problem, therein causing me to fall into bad crowds.....

Then I started standing up for myself- and I've never been embarrassed since. ^_^ My life started going back uphill when I realized that the only one who's opinions matter is me'self. Anyone gives you a hard time about it- kindly inform them that whilst you're a brony, you're still the same terrifying person as before, and can devour them. Kekekek.

I used to be embarrassed by the most trivial things. And they would haunt me for years. It turns out that I hated myself, and thus couldn't understand why others would love me. This made me hyper-sensitive to minor embarrassments, and I couldn't let them go.

When I realized for the first time that it had all been a pernicious lie, I was instantly healed of the old wounds.

I am still embarrassed from time to time, but they no longer have the debilitating effect, or length on me.

How trivial you ask? Once I wore blue to a concert when everyone else was wearing red. No one ever mentioned a thing to me about it.

I was horribly tormented in Grade School, less so in High School. I have both tried to fight with agressors and appease them. Obviously, being tormented, physically or verbally, is embaressing. I've been called out for everything under the sun, for every reason I can think of. The best advice I can give you is this perspective on all you do in life:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

This is attributed to Mother Teresa. While being concerned over your pony enjoyment, understand that really, it is not the World that you must justify what you take pleasure in to. Therefore, if ponies make you happy and bring real enrichment to your life, "go forth, and fear no darkness" for you are on the right track.

• Like 4

I use to be afraid of being different than the others. I used to always yearn to be a normal person in society, that way I felt people wouldn't look at me and notice my differences....and perhaps criticize me.

Yeah, people used to criticize me a lot for being who I was.

But now I realize that it was only a passing thing. I am who I am and I'm not going to change myself just for the sake of others who don't respect me either way.

I always apply Dr. Seuss well known quote.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

I would advice you to be a cautious.... you don't need to tell everyone.

I too have only told about the MLP to my closest friends.... but the thing is that a word spreads like a wildfire... and you can't stop it....

You are what you are and if someone can't accept you as you really are.... then its their problem, not yours.

Nope. I have a brother a year younger than me. Having a brother a year younger than me who was always out to get me made me become kind of unembarassable when it comes to likes and dislikes. Also, the older you get, the less you care what people around you think. Unless you become one of those overcompensating types.

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

What a lovely and uplifting post. Thanks for sharing that!

My advice? Celebrate what you enjoy. People can and will judge you, and that's perfectly okay -- it doesn't make you any less of a person.

If people see you as a dark person, throw them for a loop one day and they won't know what to think about you, except that you are unique and you have more to offer than just the exterior.

• Like 1

Yes, to add to Rosewind's comment, I am usually seen as brooding and threatening. I'm 6'3", two hundred pounds, and have a combination Hulk Hogan Mustache and a goatee. I have black hair. I'm told I walk aggressively (I don't know, I've never watched myself walk.) However, my friends, and often, random strangers after actually speaking to me, know I am only dangerous to those who would be dangerous to others. Allow your heart to shine through, and people will come.

Guest EoLPinkie

Embarassment? Pft, no. I used to be, but then I realized there was no need! Everypony is usually laughing with me, and that's great! I can be prone to sadness at times, but it takes real effort on the other pony's part! After all, who wants to make people sad? People say I have a happy switch inside me and there's no "off" setting. I like it when they say that! Life's too short for me to worry about the small things, and the party keeps going with or without you so you have to keep up!