Your Spoiler level. (NO SPOILERS)

Hippo

Your Spoiler Level  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What level are you at?

• Viral - I love spoilers. I try to see everything as fast as I can.
    • Compromise - I try to tune out video clips before the episode airs but will read synopsises and some screen caps found on MLPFiM Facebook Page
    • Patient - I don't look at any spoilers. I avoid EqD.com and all times. I don't even want to know the names of the episodes until they air.
  2. 2. What kinds of spoilers do you allow for yourself?

• Rumors
    • Leaks
    • Episode titles and synopsises
    • Teaser video clips
    • Screen shots of future episodes
    • The Hub's bumper sneak peaks (like during the credits and promo commercials)
    • Tiny spoilers and hints from the celebrities like voice actresses and Jayson Thiessen
    • Conversation and speculation with other bronies about future episodes.
    • None. I try to avoid all spoilers, if I can help it.

Thanks for all the feedback on this poll. It helps us understand everyone is at a different level and perhaps allows us to try to respect each other better in terms of spoilers.

However, for those that are the "tell me the synopsis and you die" type, I admire your attempt to go at it that consistently. Especially the ones i see every day on this forum, it must be extremely hard to post ponies all day and night without accidentally seeing everything. In fact, I would recommend if you are avoiding spoilers for the finale, you best not be online at all, but that's just me.

I would like to ask another question.

It used to be MLP's facebook page would send us sneak peaks to the episodes the week of the episode, as they still do. I classify these as heavy spoilers for the most part, however, you never know how much game breaking content you will see if you end up watching them.

HOWEVER

It seems that in the past month, The Hub has been promoting MLPFiM episodes out the butt in credit commercials and casual show bumpers. I mean, even the episode before Hearts and Hooves had a episode clip IN THE CREDITS. So here's my question: Why is it so important to avoid spoilers for your favorite show, when casual children who are watching it on the channel probably know more about what's about to happen than you do? Or in other words, would you really consider random promos that don't really spoil anything something that ruins the show for you? Please don't take this the wrong way, i mean not to make fun.

And most specifically, this weekend's finale has had a few promos with a 20 second clip. I've seen them all, however I still know pretty much nothing about the finale beyond its theme. I sometimes question weather the commercial promos can be considered spoilers at all. And as much as I try to respect people's spoiler level, I still can't find it in myself to respect the viewpoint that unreleased toys are a spoiler.

Back when I was watching SG-1, they often had a quick clip of the next episode at the end of the new episodes. Mostly they were teasers that showed obviously new footage or quotes without anything major to speak of. Then, in the episode before the season finale, they showed a clip of an upcoming space battle. This was a huge spoiler, because we didn't know for sure that Earth would be attacked, or even that the Air Force had built enough space fighters to assemble a defensive force. It was a huge bummer. All the drama of the first half of the next episode was worthless because I knew the battle was going to happen.

The reason I bring this up is that the only way to ensure that no MAJOR points are spoiled is to avoid all spoilers, no matter how innocent. You are correct in saying that some of these spoilers are ridiculously innocuous. But they aren't what I am worried about. If a particular show had a track record of responsible teasers, I would absolutely be interested in seeing them.

Why is it so important to avoid spoilers for your favorite show, when casual children who are watching it on the channel probably know more about what's about to happen than you do?

Are you asking why I want to avoid the information that everyone has? For the same reason I would avoid it if nobody had it. My enjoyment is not tied to being in the in crowd. The individual episodes don't need a hook to be compelling or to get me to watch them. I'm already a fan and will watch until the show finishes or jumps the shark.

I guess for me, I watch ponies with a childlike mentality. I've loved cartoons ever since I was a toddler and when my favorite show was on, even in a commerical, I was glued. I enjoy every minute of it. It's just kind of strange when I see people treat MLPFiM like its a primetime drama show. It's a cartoon. A very good cartoon. But still just a cartoon. I don't feel like too many of the spoilers that have been made in the past have ever made me like the episodes less.

But, that's just me. I completely respect other people's choice to avoid spoilers.

Spoiler level should come down to what your position on any given series is. With MLP, it has never been about the plot for me, it has always been about the journey. With few exceptions, the plots have been predictable. So I don't mind spoilers.

Spoiler level should come down to what your position on any given series is. With MLP, it has never been about the plot for me, it has always been about the journey. With few exceptions, the plots have been predictable. So I don't mind spoilers.

Haha. Yeah. Very true.

However, for people who like to be surprised, there is a certain amount of purposeful brain shutdown that can breathe life into formulaic stories. I do my best to engage in stories without trying to predict the outcome because it makes them more exciting if the end is not known in advance. The problems with this are legion. I don't recommend it, but I think I get slightly more enjoyment out of it this way.

Although, if you name your episode after "Murder on the Orient Express" I won't be able to accomplish it. You may as well just say "it's everybody" out loud.

And the top of the list of problems with this? When someone leads you down the path and parts forcibly away from it in a new and exciting direction, you stole that moment form yourself.

That isn't the problem though.

Titles containing spoilers is lame because you don't expect spoilers to be there. Even stealth spoilers. It is hard to avoid that.

Darn near impossible to avoid it when you watch it off of iTunes. Because before I can watch it, I have to make sure it is downloading, check on the status, move it to my "MLP" folder, and then double click on it. But again, I'm not expecting a spoiler there.