Star Wars 3D

Pinecone

I am so surprised that you find the situation distasteful. There is consumer demand for more star wars stuff, and they are filling the need.

What is more surprising to me is that it seems to be cool to hate on 3D. Most of my friends here are the same. It is neat technology and it will get better, but why are the peoples, especailly those that haven't seen many or any ragging on it?

so much agreedom from me on this

Consumers will be consumers and consume.

Very rarely will 3D be implemented to give it a respectable nature, and in this situation, it's simply used to make money through editing scenes that seem like they could be used for 3D, rather than adding anything new. It's the same with Lion King 3D.

3D is used as an afterthought, never being used as a key feature in a film these days, which in this case, it is 100% being done for money. Surely it isn't a waste to watch a movie that would be just as good on Blu-Ray, but will now have a stray laser blast hit or nearly hit you. Though to be fair, if you consider Storm Trooper Accuracy, it could almost be believable. Almost.

I've seen a 3D movie here and there, but it's not really impressive at all to be honest. The immersion that you'd expect is just not there in action flicks and whatnot that are targeted by it.

Nostalgia is a key factor as well, along with going to watch it because people have money to waste and it would be cool or something to watch it with a few pals.

But to return to the topic of 3D in and of itself, it's an interesting concept, but a waste in cinema. 3D Trading Cards are something that I say is quite a good usage of it, along with any 3D object that you can interact with through a Motion Capture camera, but it's only with this added technology that something good comes from it.

It's only when there's actually effort and consideration behind the added factor of 3D technology in films, games, et cetera that it could be considered respectable. I just don't see something like that being behind the 3D in this certain film.

oh, it turns out I actually AM going to see star wars 3D

with my dad

this sunday

for the specific purpose of updateing my star wars knowledge for our vacation

I made up that first post, but it's true :^D

There is nothing new under the sun.

Everything is recycled and rehashed and redone.

Adding 3D to a movie could not possibly be trivial. And I haven't heard any reviews yet. Are people saying it looks tacked on? it wouldn't have to be that way. Have you ever seen 3d trading cards? They were obviously not designed to be three dimentional, but they can still be stunning.

I am so surprised that you find the situation distasteful. There is consumer demand for more star wars stuff, and they are filling the need.

What is more surprising to me is that it seems to be cool to hate on 3D. Most of my friends here are the same. It is neat technology and it will get better, but why are the peoples, especailly those that haven't seen many or any ragging on it?

Nothing new under the sun? Everything is rehashed? How about new content that is inspired to be awesome? Look at how My Little Pony got redone to Friendship is Magic. Here's my take away point: if producers improve their content, maybe adding more to it, and the 3D complimented it instead of setting it as a selling point, I think I would find the business motive behind it more palatable. That doesn't mean I disapprove of them making money; it's smart business and if I was in their position, I would probably be recycling already-made content to make more money because the production cost to profit would not only be smart, but profitable.

However, this paradigm of recycling content can only sell its nostalgia so far -- to the point that all we will get are movies we've seen before because it's less risky to produce those than something new. This trend is already deeply present in the video game industry with the rampant "sequelitis" seen from many video game brands. Investors would rather throw their money at a sure thing than a new IP that might fail, but the end result is that we don't get anything new or interesting on the table...or the big screen.

Is it cool to hate on 3D, or do the people that dislike it have geniune reasons for disliking it, besides the obviously lazy business nature behind it? I personally do not like watching 3D movies because I find the effect distracting from the movie, they make my eyes hurt, and they give me headaches. Does that mean that I'm joining a bandwagon to hate on 3D because it's cool to dislike it, or are my reasons of real validity?

FIM is not really new. They took an existing series and revamped it with a large number of other existing ideas.

Is it cool to hate on 3D, or do the people that dislike it have geniune reasons for disliking it, (1) besides the obviously lazy business nature behind it? (2) I personally do not like watching 3D movies because I find the effect distracting from the movie, they make my eyes hurt, and they give me headaches. Does that mean that I'm joining a bandwagon to hate on 3D because it's cool to dislike it, or are my reasons of real validity?

(emphasis and note numbers mine)

1) I have never seen a movie in which I thought the 3D was lazy. I think you are projecting. You call it obvious, yet how is it that I missed it? Is it lazy business nature for a theater to buy brand new expensive equipment that might not pay off? That was a fear back in 2009 when this was ramping up. Is it lazy to produce a movie that is guaranteed to succeed? No, it is good business practice.

2) Why didn't you lead with this point? This is quite valid and important. And more believable than "Anyone who does 3D is lazy and greedy". I'm was not pinning my generalization just on you, but on the feeling I get when I talk with people in real life. I've never left the theater with people complaining about it, but I have heard many people rag on it who are several months removed from the experience.

FIM is not really new. They took an existing series and revamped it with a large number of other existing ideas.

(emphasis and note numbers mine)

1) I have never seen a movie in which I thought the 3D was lazy. I think you are projecting. You call it obvious, yet how is it that I missed it? Is it lazy business nature for a theater to buy brand new expensive equipment that might not pay off? That was a fear back in 2009 when this was ramping up. Is it lazy to produce a movie that is guaranteed to succeed? No, it is good business practice.

2) Why didn't you lead with this point? This is quite valid and important. And more believable than "Anyone who does 3D is lazy and greedy". I'm was not pinning my generalization just on you, but on the feeling I get when I talk with people in real life. I've never left the theater with people complaining about it, but I have heard many people rag on it who are several months removed from the experience.

Taking my FiM example into account -- FiM is "new" enough to 1. Attract a new, huge audience that it was never intended for. 2. Changed a lot of the attitudes behind entertainment designed for girls. 3. Demonstrated an unprecedented production quality with an animated television series on a limited budget. 4. Changed how character design is expressed in a cartoon series. 5. Brought together thousands of people from all walks of life to celebrate their passion over said series. Do you think a large number of existing ideas could magically come together to accomplish everything I just listed, or is there some "X" factor at play here that has some greater purpose? A remix does not make a cult classic. An original idea executed well does.

I never said that anyone who did 3D was lazy. I think the producers that take a movie that was not originally designed with 3D elements and edits them in, then markets the thing as a new product -- that is "lazy" business practice. I also agree it's smart business, because instead of producing a new film with all the costs involved, you take a film that's already been sold, and literally sell it again to a possible new audience, as well as a dedicated older one. As I said before, if you feel it's a good value (and I'm sure plenty of people do feel this), then all the better.

This topic also extends beyond movies. Taking my game example again, a lot of older games are getting ports. I've bought games I already own so I can experience them on a different platform. I wanted to play it on my handheld device instead of my PC, so I felt value and made the purchase, even though I know it took the publisher very little effort to put the game on a new platform. Then again, maybe they did have to put some effort into it. Who knows?

As for my other reasons for disliking the 3D, I didn't spearhead with that because I felt the business practice argument needed more discussion. I think all of my reasons carry importance around my argument, and I do not disagree that just because something doesn't take a lot of effort, that people should not find value in it. I just feel there should be balance, and that if something is going to be rehashed, it should include more than just 3D to put itself across as more than just a cash grab.