Star Wars 3D

Pinecone

So far. I only managed to get through Episode 1. ONCE And I owe it all to my Jedi Master, Ja'c Dan-iels. :mad: However, once they start getting into the GOOD (IMHO) SW movies, Revenge Of The Sith and the originals..Maybe I'll get around to seeing 'em. Maybe.

What are you people talking about? Its obvious the senate scenes will benefit hugely from 3D!!!

I'll be honest and say I'm hesitant to see any in theater. Perhaps I'll feel differently when a new hope hits, but we'll see.

• Like 1

I would go if anyone invited me. My friends are not huge theater fans, and getting them in the mood is going to take more effort than is worth it for the first three.

I waited for episodes 2 and 3 to get out of the theaters, so the experience would likely be worth the money and the 3D premium.

What are you people talking about? Its obvious the senate scenes will benefit hugely from 3D!!!

Thanks for that comment. I nearly choked to death on my beverage as I read that. :wail: Heh.

I didn't HATE PM. They just could have hired an actual actor to play Annie (I heard they had to digitally change the actors eyes to keep them from staring at the camera), Jar Jar could have been ditched, and they could have pushed the rather dull senate scenes and we'd all be happy campers. Jedi Fighting = Good. Debating space politics = bad!

This feels like a big cash grab to me...

You say that like making money by entertaining people is a bad thing. If the experience is worth $20 a seat, people will gladly pay it. So far I have never left a theater thinking "why did I see that in 3D? what a waste!"

I'm not sure 3D really adds much when tacked onto stuff. It can be amazing when its supposed to be there, but I don't honestly know if I'm crazy about this trend to just add 3D to films and re-release them. It seems kind of silly to me.

And it certainly isn't going to make a bad movie suddenly good. :/

Will definitely skip this. Maybe when they get to the original trilogy, I'll go. Not because of the 3D though, but more just because I've never seen those films in theaters.

hmmm, I'm going to that Star Wars convention in Orlando with my dad next summer, and I haven't seen any of the movies since I was too little to understand/care, so might as well see it in 3D :blush:

The only movie I've seen so far that REALLY used 3D, as opposed to others where it's just tacked on was Avatar. Mind you, the movie felt more like a theme park ride than an actual movie, but the 3D just worked...

I just came back from the cinema and...I couldn't see a thing with those glasses on!

I'm a big time Star Wars fan, and was really looking forward for a perfect viewing, but that was absolutely terrible.

I hate 3D. I always leave the cinema disappointed no matter how great the movie was, because 3D just makes it so hard to see. :(

On a side note, seeing a refurbished Yoda was pretty cool. :)

I just came back from the cinema and...I couldn't see a thing with those glasses on!

I'm a big time Star Wars fan, and was really looking forward for a perfect viewing, but that was absolutely terrible.

I hate 3D. I always leave the cinema disappointed no matter how great the movie was, because 3D just makes it so hard to see.

On a side note, seeing a refurbished Yoda was pretty cool.

A question must be asked!

How could you see Yoda and determine that he "was pretty cool" if you "couldn't see a thing with those glasses on"?

:P

I'm sorry you had a bad experience Tenkan. I have had nothing but good ones.

The first 3D movie that I saw in the 80's was a space thriller without a plot and it made the craziest use of 3D. That was the whole point. Stuff whizzing past you and flying aliens so close that were it real you could touch them.

Pandora was a beautiful world in Avatar, and while 3D added to the enjoyemnt, it was also distracting because I was enjoying checking out the layers that they used, and sometimes I missed dialog. Yes, it is really cool to make the subtitles closer to you than the background, but that also pulls focus from the movie.

The 3D in Tron and Toy Story 3 all were a bit more subtle and added to the experience without being distracting.

How to train your dragon takes the prize for me though. The fire getting breathed past Hiccup at the beginning of the movie was stunning and freaky to experience. The dust motes at the end were immersive but added to the sense of "where are we? where is Hiccup?"

How could you see Yoda and determine that he "was pretty cool" if you "couldn't see a thing with those glasses on"?

Perhaps he took the glasses off and there was a scene in which Yoda was on the plane of the screen and thus there was a clear image of him with the glasses off? Or maybe Tenkan is lying to us! Yes that is consistent with his character!

I agree. Avatar and Toy Story 3 were a blast in 3D.

But seeing as all the Star Wars movies weren't really captured with 3D cameras, I think it'll be quite a challenge for them to 'perfect' it.

Perhaps it's just the cinema that I went to that sucked, or maybe the glasses I wore?

Or I must've forgotten to wash my eyes this morning! :P

I took the glasses off half-way through the movie cause they just made things darker.

Oh, and the only parts that weren't that smudgy were the close-ups.

So....yeah....Yoda looked a lot cooler in CGI. :P

Perhaps he took the glasses off and there was a scene in which Yoda was on the plane of the screen and thus there was a clear image of him with the glasses off? Or maybe Tenkan is lying to us! Yes that is consistent with his character!

Consistent with my character?!

Hmph! :shifty:

Where is the sarcasm font when you need it? But to be clear to the rest of you, I have had no hint of dishonesty in Tenkan.

In my experience, the screen is plenty bright enough even with the glasses. But it is certainly darker with them on since each of the lenses is filtering out half the light. I find it amazing, and a bit distressing, that you were able to watch it without the glasses. it sounds like they didn't change it much at all.

When I first saw CG yoda, my thought was "that looks so close!" and not "that puts the puppet to shame"

You say that like making money by entertaining people is a bad thing. If the experience is worth $20 a seat, people will gladly pay it. So far I have never left a theater thinking "why did I see that in 3D? what a waste!"

I think making money by entertaining people is a great idea...except when it's using obviously recycled content to do it. So, not only is the company getting you to pay for a ticket for a rehash you've probably already seen in the theatre, you're paying more money to do it because of a tacked-on gimmick. Whether or not you're getting a good value is clearly in the eye of the consumer. If you enjoy the Star Wars prequels, this release is something with high value that you will likely pay for. For everyone else, it really does look like a cash grab. It's a niche market to be sure, and a lucrative one at that.

I'm not sure 3D really adds much when tacked onto stuff. It can be amazing when its supposed to be there, but I don't honestly know if I'm crazy about this trend to just add 3D to films and re-release them. It seems kind of silly to me.

And it certainly isn't going to make a bad movie suddenly good. :/

This.

I suppose for some persepective, the audience this is targeting was the one that was probably too young to see the movies originally in the theatre, people who missed it, and, of course, hardcore Star Wars fans that would like the big screen experience again.

There is nothing new under the sun.

Everything is recycled and rehashed and redone.

Adding 3D to a movie could not possibly be trivial. And I haven't heard any reviews yet. Are people saying it looks tacked on? it wouldn't have to be that way. Have you ever seen 3d trading cards? They were obviously not designed to be three dimentional, but they can still be stunning.

Examples:

http://alteredcity.blogspot.com/2011/10/probed.html

http://alteredcity.blogspot.com/2011/07/less-generous-than-zedruu.html

I am so surprised that you find the situation distasteful. There is consumer demand for more star wars stuff, and they are filling the need.

What is more surprising to me is that it seems to be cool to hate on 3D. Most of my friends here are the same. It is neat technology and it will get better, but why are the peoples, especailly those that haven't seen many or any ragging on it?

• Like 2