will there be a dark/serious episode in the future??

cuddrefeeshbrony

No pony?! is there going to a be an episode next week im not sure :-(

WWWWWHHHHAAAAAAT?!?!? NNNNNNOOOOOOO!!! Oh all the worst possible things, this is THE! WORST! POSSIBLE! THING! *Drama Couch*

Seriously, what gives???

I think the show, particularly in Season 2, has been pretty good about not pulling its punches when it comes to challenging emotional material. We've had Twilight go into a severe nervous breakdown over her schoolwork, Rarity's career estranging her from her little sister, Rarity's ambition almost making her turn her back on her best friends, peer pressure making Apple Bloom ashamed of her grandmother, Pinkie Pie almost losing the foals she was babysitting, Applejack having a breakdown under the pressure of her community's expectations of her, Applejack's family almost losing their home and livelihood, and a decent portrayal of three nations on the brink of war. I personally found "Sisterhooves Social" and "Baby Cakes" to be surprisingly hard-hitting and poignant, and if they keep up that sort of intensity, I don't think the show will be lacking at all for darkness or seriousness.

• Like 3

(...)and if they keep up that sort of intensity, I don't think the show will be lacking at all for darkness or seriousness.

This is curious, I'd not looked at it from that PoV... It is and will be interesting to see how and if they can maintain this without the show's demographic slipping into an older bracket (and I'm still not discounting the possibility of them spinning it off into 2 series - one more serious (though still kid-friendly) and one less serious and more aimed at the younger kids --- though it's unlikely it's becoming a distinct option, especially with their open acknowledgement of the bronies being a marketable demographic)

"Sisterhooves Social" and "Baby Cakes" to be surprisingly hard-hitting and poignant, and if they keep up that sort of intensity, I don't think the show will be lacking at all for darkness or seriousness.

Yeah, and who in their right mind would ever think a show called MY LITTLE PONY would make a reference to one of the darker scenes in the movie, "Trainspotting"? :wail:

I think the show, particularly in Season 2, has been pretty good about not pulling its punches when it comes to challenging emotional material. We've had Twilight go into a severe nervous breakdown over her schoolwork, Rarity's career estranging her from her little sister, Rarity's ambition almost making her turn her back on her best friends, peer pressure making Apple Bloom ashamed of her grandmother, Pinkie Pie almost losing the foals she was babysitting, Applejack having a breakdown under the pressure of her community's expectations of her, Applejack's family almost losing their home and livelihood, and a decent portrayal of three nations on the brink of war. I personally found "Sisterhooves Social" and "Baby Cakes" to be surprisingly hard-hitting and poignant, and if they keep up that sort of intensity, I don't think the show will be lacking at all for darkness or seriousness.

Very good points! And let's not forget the scene in Over the Barrel when the buffalo and Appleloosans are staring each other down, ready to fight for something they all believe is theirs (and with the planning montage before it the viewers know something big can happen). Sure, they'd fight with pies and such, making it more "Loony Tunes" rather than "300", but both sides had something important to them they knew they could lose, and I couldn't help but think how tense that felt for a kid's show. Heh, one of the reasons I liked that particular episode, I'll admit.

Very good points! And let's not forget the scene in Over the Barrel when the buffalo and Appleloosans are staring each other down, ready to fight for something they all believe is theirs (and with the planning montage before it the viewers know something big can happen). Sure, they'd fight with pies and such, making it more "Loony Tunes" rather than "300", but both sides had something important to them they knew they could lose, and I couldn't help but think how tense that felt for a kid's show. Heh, one of the reasons I liked that particular episode, I'll admit.

Don't forget how 'obviously' the buffalo and settlers 'died' to the point there was a moment near the end that it seemed very likely that the chief was not getting back up.

I'm guessing it would be hard to hold and operate a gun with your mouth..so pies are always good for anything..Picnics...Rampaging buffalo....

2 words

Unicorn Magic

Decides if equestria had evolved firearms (which they presumably havn't or only have in the most extreme end of the military) they would be designed with the ponies in mind. We've seen cameras, for instance that are mounted on the head or sides with a trigger in the hoof/mouth, there's no reason a gun couldn't be built this way. (Though honestly, the day they introduce guns, imo, is the day the shoot themselves in the foot and jump the shark. That will ruin the series for me...)

(Though honestly, the day they introduce guns, imo, is the day the shoot themselves in the foot and jump the shark. That will ruin the series for me...)

Nah. Guns won't run it for me. Guns are cool. Humans on the other hand. The day one of those two legged critters pops up in the show will be a real 'Jump the shark' moment for me.

Nah. Guns won't run it for me. Guns are cool. Humans on the other hand. The day one of those two legged critters pops up in the show will be a real 'Jump the shark' moment for me.

Jumping the shark wont stop me from watching or writing fics. the StH franchise jumped the shark about 10 times before I left it. Now Humans... unless it's a one-shot and never-ever-ever-ever-ever mentioned again (preferably in a movie if it must happen) that's when I'll stop watching.

the day they introduce guns, imo, is the day they shoot themselves in the foot

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

get it? guns... shooting.... the.......uhhh foot...

ontopic: i agree that the show has reached some heavy points with GREAT subtlety, (which makes it important on how all ponies react to it, a pretty important point for me) but the time (topic) when subtlety wont be enough will happen, but im confident the team will surpass any difficulties that surface on that.

great points dude! tbh i never really thought of it like that. but what im saying is have an episode where the overall tone of it is a bit more stern then that of the traditional formula. like i said you bring up great points about the eps in seasn 2, but the overall tones of these eps were still campy and used the more serious elements as subplots as fuel for friendship lessons. the scootalo idea i mentioned back on the first page is something i really wanna see. but tbh i just wanna scootaloo episode in general :kissy:

but what im saying is have an episode where the overall tone of it is a bit more stern then that of the traditional formula. like i said you bring up great points about the eps in seasn 2, but the overall tones of these eps were still campy and used the more serious elements as subplots as fuel for friendship lessons.

Like an event which actually has an impact on the rest of the series? Well, I think that's Hasbro's way of staying safe because of the target demographic (look at what happened at the Derpy drama). Also I was told that Hasbro has a requirement where the episodes must be able to be shown in any order